Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've only just got around to watching last weeks vlog and am confused - last year didn't she said her and Dean were having a break and she was moving out, then this vlog she referred to him as her boyfriend and said she'd eventually update people because we're 'nosey' - did I miss her saying they were back together or was that supposed to be it?

Reactions: 8
Even before they took time apart, he had apparently proposed a few years ago (someone found the post) and then .... she went back to calling him her boyfriend (not fiancee) and stopped wearing the ring.

I would imagine that is a significant thing in their relationship.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Korean-German blogger/blogger Nisi (Teetharejade) - BB seems to have copied the nature/swans aspect of her vlogs, plus even used the same music in places (example - BB vlog where she goes for a walk and vlogs swans, identical imagery and identical music lifted straight out of one of Nisi's videos.) BB follows her on Instagram, likes all her pictures, but I don't think mentioned her when she did a feature on influencers she follows? Probably because a side by side comparison would be a bit too close to comfort for her? Only difference is Nisi is farrrrrr more upbeat and authentic than BB, and you never catch her moaning...

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Korean-German blogger/blogger Nisi (Teetharejade) - BB seems to have copied the nature/swans aspect of her vlogs, plus even used the same music in places (example - BB vlog where she goes for a walk and vlogs swans, identical imagery and identical music lifted straight out of one of Nisi's videos.) BB follows her on Instagram, likes all her pictures, but I don't think mentioned her when she did a feature on influencers she follows? Probably because a side by side comparison would be a bit too close to comfort for her? Only difference is Nisi is farrrrrr more upbeat and authentic than BB, and you never catch her moaning...
Oh that's awful :( And I think your assessment is correct except I would have worded it less kindly as she wants people to think it's her ideas and she doesn't want to get caught out. Gross.

And it aligns with the copying whole formats and contents of myspace pages someone mentioned a while ago.

Everyone is inspired by everyone else, we all take ideas and rearrange and reconstitute. Inspired would be, oh I like the sort of music used and the nature shots that align with it, how can I interpret that and add to it. This is something she seems, not incapable of doing, but too lazy to do? She's too busy expending energy looking over her shoulder to see ahead - i.e. to figure out her memory card (actually got the sense that that was not true either) or pick up the camera and film - Ha! FFS.

Her explanations as to why she features things are always that she personally finds them inspiring and wants to edify us. BUT! it's almost always synced up with what another influencer is doing. The "closed" brand was just featured by Leandra Medine (man repeller, cereal etc.). A post she liked and who she follows. And yet, she never mentions the name of who inspired her, merely that she discovered it recently on her own. I mean there is a zeitgeist that happens and cements within fashion - there are probably more people promoting that brand and she may not recognize or remember who she was influenced by, and many people do converge on similar ideas, but not every time.

I get the feeling that she is consumed with what others are doing. It appears she is very aware of her friend's vlogs and keeping up, not appearing to be out of the loop. Like The Row shoes she sneakily mentioned as "I've always liked these" the other week. The Bauhaus book Lizzy featured in her last blog now appears. Except Lizzy unapologetically revealed who it was sent by (Joseph) and showed the swag box she received with it. Now, I know that's kind of gross too but elucidates how she got it. Brittany just says "I received this, haven't taken it out of the plastic". Why is it in the vlog? I get you are talking about coffee table books, because, others care (I don't think that's true, just an excuse to show her "intellectualism" and talk about her expensive, and essential coffee table coming) - but really?

It is all as if to say, I got it too, I've just got better things to do.

I'm guessing she feels she is more sophisticated than a mere survey-type book about Bauhaus and that she likes more obscure artists (all of which I believe she very recently heard of but acts like she is an expert on them).

It's all kind of a trope isn't it? People saying, oh this old thing? I've known about it for years, since I was born! Oh this trend? I've been wearing it forever. Oh this person? You didn't know about them? All the while they are desperately trawling instagram to make sure they know about who everyone else is obsessed by at the moment. Until it's no longer cool and then, that thing that they've always liked, that they've worn 'forever', the thing that is a "classic" that doesn't date, poof, disappears. Lol.

A house of cards.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Ditto this. I stumbled upon Nisi a couple of months ago and these were my thoughts exactly. I decided not to post here because I did not want to look as if I had anything personal against BB, but yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Reactions: 7
Oh my goodness. Thank you for introducing me to Nisi (Teetharejade) vlogs. I just watched and really enjoyed what I saw.

Reactions: 5
I never find those faux scandi/ beige obsessed influencers inspiring. No one ever live like that, the food you bought from the store have colour..surely your household items have colour
Imagine they have to do an intense clear out everything they film.

I used to follow a couple of them, a couple of those pictures seem nice but when the whole IG page is based on that aesthetic, it quickly become boring.

Idk, I just rather watch paint dry!

Reactions: 9
I don't mind watching paint dry, as long as it's original paint and not copycat. I think the overarching theme for me is one of disappointment - I'm disappointed that I truly believed Brittany was creating original content, and I really enjoyed watching her Australia vlogs and the early ones of her at the house with Dean. And also, Nisi has a relatively low number of subscribers compared to Brittany - what's wrong with women supporting women and saying "hey everyone there's this really great vlogger called Nisi..." - I'd have far more respect for her if she did. Also, it's unlikely you'll lose viewers if you give credit where it's due and share the love around, but the opposite will happen if you are exposed as being someone opposite to the image you're working so hard to portray. Nisi credits everyone she talks about, shares links to everything, all the food she cooks looks amazing and she genuinely looks like she's having a very lovely time, and good on her for it! There's never any my memory card was full/I forgot my camera/snippy comments about sandals/lazy presentation where you can't even be bothered to find out what the name of the neckline you're talking about or how the brand's name is pronounced when you're being paid by them to advertise it. Can you imagine watching a TV advert and the narrator saying "I'm just going to butcher the name of this now..." Unbelievable

Reactions: 9
As for the sandals, I do wish people credited my dad, a retired biology teacher, who has been wearing these types of sandals since the 70s. With socks! That combined with a nice cardigan with elbow patches and his beard was quite a look.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I'm of 2 minds. I quite like perusing the minfluencers beige obsession. It fascinates me in how disciplined they are. Or is restrictive a better word? Retentive? LOL. Kidding not kidding. I'm totally a maximalist. But I like to keep it in a check. There's maximalist and then there's hoarder, ya know? Fine line. So the retentives help whistle my maximalist tendencies back into the herd and keep me thinking, okay, 'if there was a fire, what would I grab in my 10 seconds b/f the inferno? This is my version of "spark joy" or Brittany's "if it were stolen would I replace?" (see how dull she is). Granted I'm a little dramatic, but I feel that's what it takes to pry nostalgic possessions out of my vice like hands.

And even though middle ground is often the kiss of death in design, I quite like the idea of melding the jammed up retentive way with let's give it a go approach. For example, pared down in super bright colors. Take those "dad on a tugboat" shoes and make them bright green. Or something. You get my drift.

Find some brutalist/assymetrical earrings on eBay from the 80s in real gold and tell farfetched to go fetch with their -vermeil as expensive as real- offerings.

The thrift shop has plenty o' Kramer-esque boxy camp shirts in lieu of the, black and cream shirt she has been wearing so much. I did like the pattern on that shirt - though you'd think, being such an "art expert" she would mention Matisse's cut paper. The splotches on it are one for one of his shapes."Inspired by" in quotes (meaning copied). Nothing wrong with that I suppose as he's long dead, but it's the first thing that struck me and I'm no art historian. Seemed to have escaped her. The fit of that shirt and the collar drape was a total mess though. So floppy on her. I like a collar that sits nicely whether open or buttoned.

Anyhoo! I digress.

What I loved about Nisi is she was putting up molding in her apartment and it was work. Like so much work. And not a peep of complaint and utterly perfectly done. It would done my granddad, who was a decorator and a total craftsman/perfectionist proud. That is refreshing. None of this, oh I have to paint with free paint moan. bleeping A was it amazing. The reason I think she doesn't have as many viewers I reckon is b/c it's all in German, and yeah, there are lots of folks that speak German but not in the big viewing markets (like the US).

What really got up my nose this week was Brittany's comment about "I'm sorry I don't have much footage, it's because I was spending time with people and I want to stay present and in the moment".

So, when we are at work we can say, oh hey, sorry I didn't do my work, I was out to lunch all day (literarily and figuratively) and wanted to stay in the moment.

DUDE.

So do I have anything positive to say? She is trying to include more variety. She does seem more upbeat. There were some art exhibitions - though tell us what is inspiring not just who was in them. Oh dear, come on now, you were going to stay positive. Ermm....

P.S. What was it? I didn't pick up the camera to film b/c I was trying to stay in the moment (aka too lazy to think of other times to film to make up for it, or film in the quiet moments) or I lost a ton of footage b/c my memory card bricked? I think the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
That table is awful, looks like it is mass-produced hospital furniture for kids play centres.

Nisi's videos.... they are similar, aren't they? And yes @brerwhabbit absolutely correct on the lack of professionalism. Familiarity/informality/authenticity is not the same as a lack of professionalism. Forgot to record, battery low etc. imagine... imagine doing that in our day jobs! If I were in her position and lost footage, it would be on me to FIND SOMETHING NEW TO INCLUDE.

I find all these minfluencers have very similar and boring instagram grids, youtube is similar but I agree that I appreciated Nisi doing a lot of work to put up that wall detail!

Again, bring back Dean. The house repairs were interesting. Maybe he can do a channel, lol!

Reactions: 8
Again, bring back Dean. The house repairs were interesting. Maybe he can do a channel, lol!
Yup, actually, Dean is way more interesting and seems less jammed up - or at least it appears that way. In fact, I think Brittany is highly "influenced" by him. Probably most of what's interesting in what she says is down to him and his suggestions. I'm glad they are back together.

Yup, those insta grids are all eerily similar, poses, environs, merch. It all sort of mushes into one big yawn. Wouldn't you want to differentiate? I can't stand the same old same old. I honestly would forgo getting the things the others have. Can't stand having the same exact look or thing.

Yuppers, find something new to include and stop talking about what you didn't manage! As my grandma would say, there are endless amounts of things you can do! Jot down ideas, scratch through books, make up, what I wore every day, mental anguish. What's left? Do that. Dear God.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Nisi's insta is similar. Brittany excels, as do all of them, at curating a certain image but then her youtube videos reveal the shallowness.

But I think Nisi's videos seem to me less superficial. They reveal a personality that more sincerely connects with the audience by more skillfully sharing this is what I do and how I do without condescension. Sometimes Brittany hints at that too but often misses the mark. I just wish my German was adequate or there were subtitles. But even without, I can tell that, ironically, she's more "in the moment" versus just phoning it in. The impression lately with BB is one of, got to do a vlog this week, ugh, here's something.

Which is a shame. I'm repeating myself each week - she could - but it's becoming more clear that her personality doesn't seem suited as others have said. I think at first she put a bit more effort in but it appears that this has become a conflicting grind - one that provides her things she loves but at a cost to her self esteem and psyche perhaps. I wonder how long she will keep going with it, or if she's now just using it as a stepping stone to something else, like being a creative director somewhere?

There's a new Polish film I just read about regarding the cult of influencers called SWEAT - a fictional account of fitness influencers. A lot of the reviews seem to to reconcile with how I'm feeling about BB and most of the influencers I watch. The Robert Ebert site (which I respect) gave it 3 stars. There seem to be problems with the film but ultimately a quite interesting reflection on influencers and the problems with it in general. All echoing the things we are discussing - the sadness and contrast between the online curated portrayal with the dystopian reality of a lonely existence. The zing the "fame" gives which is problematic with less stable egos.

It makes me wonder why I myself am still watching her and the others. What is the appeal? Do I see my own weaknesses in BB? Probably. I was generally interested at first. I still am enough, apparently. But now I feel my interest has morphed into seeing, from a distance, versus alongside, how and if she digs out of this hole in addition to searching for other online content that is more satisfying.

Some content that rounds out the more high street shop appeal of the influence genre is out there. I just watched a video about Rajiv Surenda's NYC apartment on HGTV handmade. I think I'm steering myself more to watching these when I'm bored these days (recovering from an illness) and getting less from the influencer type videos these days. There's a reason he is not an influencer. He is too much of a full person with a full life and reminds me to get off the internet and start doing.

P. S. Agreed initially the table is pretty awful but wondering if it's so awful it's kinda cool? Still, it seems a little cold right? Like a trendy museum-y thing for a showroom but not a home? I much prefer Surendra's thrift shop table.

P.P.S. Is it the coffee table version of those row fisherman sandals? I think it might be. LOLOLOLOL. Okay, seriously shutting up now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Absolutely spot on with all the above brerwhabbit - I concur 100% with everything you've said

Reactions: 1
Some content that rounds out the more high street shop appeal of the influence genre is out there. I just watched a video about Rajiv Surenda's NYC apartment on HGTV handmade. I think I'm steering myself more to watching these when I'm bored these days (recovering from an illness) and getting less from the influencer type videos these days. There's a reason he is not an influencer. He is too much of a full person with a full life and reminds me to get off the internet and start doing.

Yes! I watched this video just the other day and fell in love. He makes me want to Marie Kondo my house and start collecting real silver spoons. Much more influential than BB!

Reactions: 6
I am genuinely confused as to what she thinks is interesting to her audience. She's been vlogging regularly for about a year now but it doesn't feel like she got better at it (worse even ?). She is not really good at talking about stuff and making it interesting. Now I unterstand why she was worried about vlogging after lockdown restrictions were lifted. The calm and unique background of the house gave some kind of soothing content in the midst of a chaotic period. But now it does feel like she doesn't have much too rely on to make her vlogs stand out.

She spent almost 10 minutes rambling about some sport bras and leggings (yes they're nice but...) and then we get nothing when it comes to the exhibition and art. Didn't she majored in art or something ? Idk it's kind of disappointing like she could've shared her personal inspirations when it comes to design or talk more about her toughts and opinions on Perriand's work. Instead it was just meh

Also I'm pretty sure she has been reading this thread, recently, more than ever, she has been making sure that we ALL know that she has a social life, is seeing people, has friends outside of Dean and I don't think it's a coincidence.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.