Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you have an issue with white women earning a lot of money for doing not a lot of work (influencing) then you are going to have the same issue with almost all the people who have threads about them on there.

That seems to be Brittany’s only crime here. She can’t help being born a white British woman, she is aware of the privilege that comes with it. Anyone can get a ‘normal’ job, buy clothes and organically build an IG following but how many of us want to put ourselves out there? Not many and that’s the financial reward those who do get.

Reactions: 9
If you have an issue with white women earning a lot of money for doing not a lot of work (influencing) then you are going to have the same issue with almost all the people who have threads about them on there.

That seems to be Brittany’s only crime here. She can’t help being born a white British woman, she is aware of the privilege that comes with it. Anyone can get a ‘normal’ job, buy clothes and organically build an IG following but how many of us want to put ourselves out there? Not many and that’s the financial reward those who do get.
Yes I do and no she's not. BB seems very unaware of her privilege and doesn't acknowledge it at all. She doesn't pass that privilege on in any way at all. Her whole attitude is very tone deaf. In a time when people are losing their jobs, she's vlogging about moving into a new expensive apartment and frivolously filling it with new expensive purchases. If you like BB so much why are you on a gossip board about her? Go suck up to her in her comments under her vapid vlogs.

Reactions: 14
@snarkvark because it is a gossip board and all opinions are valid. I don’t need anyone’s permission to say what I like & don’t like about anything or anyone. You may not agree & that’s fine but you are not the last & final word on who says what on Tattle Life.
Just a reminder that there are two BB threads. This one and a rave thread.

Reactions: 6
I don’t think there is any other blogger on Tattle that gets so much protection and defence. Why is everyone so obsessed with Brittany?!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I don’t think there is any other blogger on Tattle that gets so much protection and defence. Why is everyone so obsessed with Brittany?!
haha! She’s definitely one of my fav influencers, I guess I don’t follow her for relatability, I just find her voice and videos the most calming out of them all. When you compare to the seemingly chaotic loudness of Megan ellaby for example (who I used to love) I think bb stands out. I still can’t believe how much she spends on some items though, considering they look quite basic,even though I’m all for good cuts and quality! I have jumpers for the fraction of the price (the most is £35) and have had them for years, you just need to take care of them properly and avoid acrylic!

I like her style & she seems to have her head screwed on. Her vlogs over lockdown were a big source of comfort when i was at a low ebb. She’s calming.

I don't understand why people gush over her. Everything she does feels very forced and fake. It's a personality she's curated (just like her wardrobe) rather than natural. She implies she has interests in certain things however dosn't show any knowledge of them. BB comes across as very shallow to me.

Reactions: 10
I don't understand why people gush over her. Everything she does feels very forced and fake. It's a personality she's curated (just like her wardrobe) rather than natural. She implies she has interests in certain things however dosn't show any knowledge of them. BB comes across as very shallow to me.
I completely agree with you. I like her style, but it’s so inaccessible and I second what you said above about her not acknowledging her privilege enough... I mean, a £560 lamp?! Who needs that even. The constant new purchases are excessive, especially given many people are struggling right now due to COVID related job losses, and she seems to me to be filling a void with all the new things. Actually find her very unlikeable and her vlogs are incredibly boring to me... possibly even more depressing content than Lizzy hadfields which says a lot 😂

Reactions: 4
In her recent vlog she basically showed exactly where she lives.. she hasn't showed much of her flat yet. 2 bedrooms, one with an ensuite complete with a roll-top bath, another separate bathroom, off-street parking etc. A lot of flat for one person. Not sure if she purchased it or she's renting from someone who just bought it. I wonder if she's also paying half the house costs still too? To be able to do all that and also spend £2k on a pair of shoes is incredible.

Reactions: 2
I don’t know why but when I listen to her vlogs and recent seperation I kind help thinking it’s about her sexuality I don’t know why just a gut feeling .....

Reactions: 3
I really like Brittany's style. I think she also has a talent for editing. I have worked in fashion most of my life and am old enough to be her mother so I understand somewhat the pressure she is under. The pressure of the competitive nature of fashion and the desire to keep up. And you can never keep up. I laugh when vlogers/ influencers like Karenbritchick for example, who say, oh this will last for years, you have to buy quality and classics and then buy another slightly different version of the same exact item a week later, or just change their style completely in one season. And Brittany is actually much less that way than most of them. That said, I sense that her mental health issues are exacerbated by the world she has placed herself within. Fashion is not, by its nature sustainable. Sustainable fashion is an oxymoron, a paradox. But that said, there is value and intellect in fashion. Especially when you look at designer's designers like Van Noten, McQueen, Westwood etc. and their influence. But even if you buy "quality" items, unless you are really using those for years and not buying ten of them it's never responsible for the environment. Let's stop pretending. And often you are paying for expensive ads or small production lines not quality anyway. How many trench coats can one have? But that said, I do love her look. If it's "bag lady" I'm actually all for it. Dressing is not just to appear sexy to men, or conventionally attractive. And I reckon she is the one that other influencers copy most, especially the others in her milieu, the "minfluencers". Buying books, even used ones to simply fill shelves speaks to me of being overly consumed with one's image. Whatever happened to slowly acquiring books as you read them (she does read a lot)? getting them from the library? Nothing wrong with empty shelves for a bit. In her latest she speaks about going shopping to support businesses. I believe people are going shopping to get not to give. It would be more interesting and helpful to volunteer. I have absolutely no problem with loving nice things and appreciating clothing and design. I'm not saying live like a pauper and donate everything. I don't even have a problem with buying a Noguchi lamp but it's the timing and making it the entire content. You are not the only one, Brittany to buy a Noguchi lamp. It's become, utterly boring to do so. I lived for years in Queens NY (though I grew in in London) and Isamu Noguchi had a studio there and his vision is spectacularly interesting. But there's no mention of that. It's just, I'm buying this lamp because I deserve it (which, I'm sorry, you do not deserve it anymore than many working folks who can't afford it), just watch me unbox it which is really low bar stuff. At this point it is not only mundane but cruel and unthinking when so many suffering financially. It's not enough to say you care, you have to think about your actions to be respected surely? She has talent and a great eye and can be incredibly insightful about her own mental health. She doesn't need to stop being herself, but I do feel that if she expended some energy external to herself she might find out what it is to truly appreciate design and art. She could also put some teeth behind her talk about, for example, black lives matter, sustainable fashion. How about talking about some of the Danish fashion designers and learning about how they produce the clothing, whose style she clearly appreciates and emulates. Anyway, it's evident to me that this life she is setting up for herself is full of emptiness but I do relate to her. I don't give a toss about gossip, her privilege and her and Dean. I mean, there is privilege and we should talk about it, but we don't really know her circumstances. I do see that she has been accepting more promotional opportunities lately that don't really square with her preferences, which is a shame. We don't know what's going on with here and Dean (though I do realize it's fun to speculate, it's ultimately a bit silly). But there are ways for her to be less self centered and truly different and set an example that differentiates her from her peers and I think she is capable of that so I wish for it. It would be so nice to see.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
While I appreciate that people process things differently, I find it weird that she went to an art gallery with Dean... especially after such a long relationship. Even if they ended things on the best of terms, how are they supposed to get over it if they keep seeing each other? And maybe they don't want to get over each other and just take a break to find themselves and come stronger together (which is understandable) but wouldn't the point be them not bubbling with each other and actually take time to be on their own? AND if it's just temporary why would you invest so much in a new place...

Reactions: 5
I don’t know why but when I listen to her vlogs and recent seperation I kind help thinking it’s about her sexuality I don’t know why just a gut feeling .....
I thought the same after the vlog when she announced their separation. Something about it just gave me that vibe. Either way I doubt she would make an announcement for a long time, it seems she’s trying to make sense of her feelings. If she is exploring her sexuality it must be a scary and difficult thing to do after being in a hetero relationship for such a long time and maybe it would explain why she is not distancing herself from Dean. I do really like Brittany and I hope she finds whatever it is that she is looking for!

Reactions: 4
I really like Brittany's style... That said, I sense that her mental health issues are exacerbated by the world she has placed herself within. Fashion is not, by its nature sustainable. How many trench coats can one have? But that said, I do love her look. If it's "bag lady" I'm actually all for it. Dressing is not just to appear sexy to men, or conventionally attractive.
I like BBs style but she's definitely dressing for other people. It might not be for men but it is for an audience. Her job is to look good on camera and in photos. Her style isn't something that's effortless, she spends lots of time looking good for the camera. It comes over as fake and conceited to me at times.

In her latest she speaks about going shopping to support businesses. I have absolutely no problem with loving nice things and appreciating clothing and design. I don't even have a problem with buying a Noguchi lamp but it's the timing and making it the entire content. It's not enough to say you care, you have to think about your actions to be respected surely?
This is the problem. BB says "support small businesses" and "look after your clothes" and "buy things to last" but then goes out and buys a whole bunch of really expensive stuff for her house instead of waiting and slowly decorating the space. By "supporting small businesses" what she means is go to shops close to her house - that's not supporting small businesses. TBF BB does buy (or is gifted free stuff!) from smaller independent designers but it's very clear BB forms opinions on topics (like sustainability, shopping small, etc.) without actually putting any effort into LEARNING about these issues. She forms her opinion based on no research. She has no clue what she's talking about.

Anyway, it's evident to me that this life she is setting up for herself is full of emptiness
This is why I struggle to enjoy BBs content. Everything she does feels empty because she it's carried out without depth. Yeah she might know about how to steam her clothes but she really doesn'#t know anything about books or sustaianbility or art/design. Her life feels posed and I guess that's why I'm not really surprised her relationship is over

While I appreciate that people process things differently, I find it weird that she went to an art gallery with Dean... especially after such a long relationship. Even if they ended things on the best of terms, how are they supposed to get over it if they keep seeing each other?
This is what I felt. Being in a long term relationshp is very differnt when you split up and people deal with things differently. I find it odd to hang out with an ex??? You can't heal from that relatunship if you keep seeing each other surely? And saying it's a "trial separation" then buying (?) a new home immediately says to me that it's not a trial at all...... but then why are they hanging out with each other??? I suppose BB doesn't have many friends and Dean is the only person close to her? So sad.

While I appreciate that people process things differently, I find it weird that she went to an art gallery with Dean... especially after such a long relationship. Even if they ended things on the best of terms, how are they supposed to get over it if they keep seeing each other? And maybe they don't want to get over each other and just take a break to find themselves and come stronger together (which is understandable) but wouldn't the point be them not bubbling with each other and actually take time to be on their own? AND if it's just temporary why would you invest so much in a new place...
I think on a practical level Dean is the only one who can drive. I agree that in order to grow or decide if they have a future together they need to have a real break. I get the sense they have been amiable housemates for a while.

Reactions: 1
I really like Brittany's style. I think she also has a talent for editing. I have worked in fashion most of my life and am old enough to be her mother so I understand somewhat the pressure she is under. The pressure of the competitive nature of fashion and the desire to keep up. And you can never keep up. I laugh when vlogers/ influencers like Karenbritchick for example, who say, oh this will last for years, you have to buy quality and classics and then buy another slightly different version of the same exact item a week later, or just change their style completely in one season. And Brittany is actually much less that way than most of them. That said, I sense that her mental health issues are exacerbated by the world she has placed herself within. Fashion is not, by its nature sustainable. Sustainable fashion is an oxymoron, a paradox. But that said, there is value and intellect in fashion. Especially when you look at designer's designers like Van Noten, McQueen, Westwood etc. and their influence. But even if you buy "quality" items, unless you are really using those for years and not buying ten of them it's never responsible for the environment. Let's stop pretending. And often you are paying for expensive ads or small production lines not quality anyway. How many trench coats can one have? But that said, I do love her look. If it's "bag lady" I'm actually all for it. Dressing is not just to appear sexy to men, or conventionally attractive. And I reckon she is the one that other influencers copy most, especially the others in her milieu, the "minfluencers". Buying books, even used ones to simply fill shelves speaks to me of being overly consumed with one's image. Whatever happened to slowly acquiring books as you read them (she does read a lot)? getting them from the library? Nothing wrong with empty shelves for a bit. In her latest she speaks about going shopping to support businesses. I believe people are going shopping to get not to give. It would be more interesting and helpful to volunteer. I have absolutely no problem with loving nice things and appreciating clothing and design. I'm not saying live like a pauper and donate everything. I don't even have a problem with buying a Noguchi lamp but it's the timing and making it the entire content. You are not the only one, Brittany to buy a Noguchi lamp. It's become, utterly boring to do so. I lived for years in Queens NY (though I grew in in London) and Isamu Noguchi had a studio there and his vision is spectacularly interesting. But there's no mention of that. It's just, I'm buying this lamp because I deserve it (which, I'm sorry, you do not deserve it anymore than many working folks who can't afford it), just watch me unbox it which is really low bar stuff. At this point it is not only mundane but cruel and unthinking when so many suffering financially. It's not enough to say you care, you have to think about your actions to be respected surely? She has talent and a great eye and can be incredibly insightful about her own mental health. She doesn't need to stop being herself, but I do feel that if she expended some energy external to herself she might find out what it is to truly appreciate design and art. She could also put some teeth behind her talk about, for example, black lives matter, sustainable fashion. How about talking about some of the Danish fashion designers and learning about how they produce the clothing, whose style she clearly appreciates and emulates. Anyway, it's evident to me that this life she is setting up for herself is full of emptiness but I do relate to her. I don't give a toss about gossip, her privilege and her and Dean. I mean, there is privilege and we should talk about it, but we don't really know her circumstances. I do see that she has been accepting more promotional opportunities lately that don't really square with her preferences, which is a shame. We don't know what's going on with here and Dean (though I do realize it's fun to speculate, it's ultimately a bit silly). But there are ways for her to be less self centered and truly different and set an example that differentiates her from her peers and I think she is capable of that so I wish for it. It would be so nice to see.
Wow, i actually love you and bookmarking this post, be my friend? hahah x

I'd really wish BB would do a series on clothes, specifically cuts, materials and different styles- i think this would encourage people to seek out clothes on all levels of budgets, rather than flogging £300 trousers and £1000 shoes.
For example, she talks about always taking up her trousers to just above her ankle, why is that a more flattering cut that leaving it longer? Or the concept of oversized clothing, looking at labels acrylic vs polyester etc - i think that would be interesting!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Buying books, even used ones to simply fill shelves speaks to me of being overly consumed with one's image. Whatever happened to slowly acquiring books as you read them (she does read a lot)? getting them from the library?
I know previously she has said that she buys about 5 books and reads them before buying anymore. Now it’s all about displaying the books. I read a lot but it’s on my kindle or digital books from the library I don’t have books to display of feel the need to buy a library. Other posters have mentioned an emptiness to the purchasing and I can’t help feeling that there is a void that ‘things’ won’t be able to fill.

The whole situation is unusual, especially for YT, as most people just break up and go their separate ways. There is definitely something up with her and its great that she is getting counseling for it. For me, the whole "trial separation" is interesting though. I am loving that she is still vlogging and sharing a bit about everything because without the vlogs I have zero interest in her content.

Interesting comments but I don’t know why some people are assuming she bought a place? Like, renting is a thing.

Interesting comments but I don’t know why some people are assuming she bought a place? Like, renting is a thing.
I think it’s because there is a lot of work going into decorating her new home that most people might not do if they were renting. However her job is aesthetics so maybe that’s part of it plus she appears to have a decent disposable income.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.