Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It sounds minor but I think the fact that the public calls him “Boris” is actually a problem. He’s not our mate, and it lets people forget that he’s meant to be an elder statesman and behave like one and be effective as one.

He’s a good campaigner but a bad governor and he gets away with so much because the public feel this bizarre affection towards him when really he’s plainly doing a shocking job and letting us all down. It’s of course a stupidly difficult job, but he chose it and regardless of whether anyone else would do better, he is bleeping it up.

Calling him Boris instead of PM Johnson, Mr Johnson or just Johnson always has the effect of diminishing the seriousness of what’s happening. He’s not some naughty schoolboy or that character from work. He’s the Prime Minister. I wish people (generally, not directing this to anyone specific here) would realise this instead of just watching him bumble his way around the most significant challenges of our lifetimes.

Completely agree but it is a clever tactic to make him seem like a loveable, harmless, clown-like character.

The BBC set the Johnson PM train rolling the first time they had him on HIGNFY and lauded him has hilariously British.

In what way?
Supplies, fuel and food.

Reactions: 6
Dreading going home for Christmas and brexit being a topic of conversation. My parents voted brexit and I work with and have close friends who are from the EU. Think I might down a bottle of wine if I hear “oh we don't want rid of people like them, they work and don’t sponge on the system” again.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Dreading going home for Christmas and brexit being a topic of conversation. My parents voted brexit and I work with and have close friends who are from the EU. Think I might down a bottle of wine if I hear “oh we don't want rid of people like them, they work and don’t sponge on the system” again.
I've always found this a strange argument when EU migrants contribute £2,300 more to the public purse than the average adult. Your parents have voted for the opposite of what they thought would happen, as the system will become less well-funded.

I do have a very small portion of sympathy for our Boris - stuck between a rock (Covid and vaccines) and a hard place (Brexit and EU). I know he is a buffoon most of the time, and is a bit wishy-washy when it comes to policy, but I really wouldn't fancy his job at all. And in truth he deserves (or rather the position of PM), a massive pay rise when you compare with the private sector and vacuous celebs and footballers.
Isn't the issue mostly of his making though? He was one of the main backers for Brexit, and he missed five cobra coronavirus meetings.

At least footballers bring some joy to people's lives (mostly), and they're actually good at what they do. Boris just brings incompetence and misery and has earned a fortune through it.

Last edited:
People voted simply due to immigration. Now everyone is going to be shafted, here's hoping it only affects those that voted for Brexit, but that's a rare moment.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
If anything David "essay crisis" Cameron must go down as one of the most naive prime ministers the UK has ever had when he announced the referendum in 2015/6.

The fact that he was "surprised" by the result probably didn't help. But I think his biggest mistake was the actual wording of the Referendum question

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?
A rather simplistic question that completely glosses over so many complicated issues and implications - not least the Customs Union, Single Market and Freedom of Movement of people.

In other words, the Question was poorly constructed as well as being ill-informed in the extreme.

Whatever Cameron is doing now, he will have that legacy tied round his neck like a millstone. By all means have a referendum, but at the very least make it far more involving so that the electorate can make an informed decision about their future.

Reactions: 4
Whatever Cameron is doing now, he will have that legacy tied round his neck like a millstone.
I think Blair and brown should share that legacy. This anti eu sentiment started with those two and their government using it as a scapegoat.

People like nick clegg did a very poor job at explaining the benefits (but he's happy now in is Facebook paid for mansion). The EU came off as pretty arrogant at not wanting to address genuine concern or reform anything. Everyone comes out of it looking bad imo.

The stories you just couldn't make up 😆
IMG_20201217_144239.jpg

Reactions: 2
Oy yeah, Bob Geldof - what a two-faced James Hunt he is :mad:

Gotta say I won't be sad to leave this Brexit shitstorm as of tomorrow. The politicians who were involved in this charade deserve to be stood up against a wall and shot regardless of political allegiances.

But never fear - they will move on to better things while the mugs face the consequences for the next 'x' number of years

Meh I don't believe all these theatrical headlines. I think it's more like 98% chance of a deal. The EU always does it at the 11th hour and markets have priced in a deal highly likely.

I think it's more likely that we cave in sadly. Yes it will damage the EU but the damage is spread amongst 27 countries, where as for us, it's just us who will take the hit. :-(

What worries me is what will happen come the day of the "divorce"?

It reminds me of the Millennium Bug back in 1999. I was only 2 years old then, but I've since read about the global panic that come 1st January 2000 a lot of computers & computer-dependent equipment around the world will crash because software wasn't programmed to cope with the near millennial year! But I think people were made aware of this bug in good time and did something about reducing the impact.

However, with Brexit, what happens to things like passports, driving licences, exchange rates, EU currency, investments in EU companies? What about EU laws that bind the UK to the EU? Will they be rescinded come "Brexit Day"? Will the divorce happen gradually over weeks and months?

No one seems to know, and we're just not prepared for the switch over.

However, with Brexit, what happens to things like passports, driving licences, exchange rates, EU currency, investments in EU companies? What about EU laws that bind the UK to the EU? Will they be rescinded come "Brexit Day"? Will the divorce happen gradually over weeks and months?
Brexiteers don't think about that, so it will be fun to find out.

What worries me is what will happen come the day of the "divorce"?

It reminds me of the Millennium Bug back in 1999. I was only 2 years old then, but I've since read about the global panic that come 1st January 2000 a lot of computers & computer-dependent equipment around the world will crash because software wasn't programmed to cope with the near millennial year! But I think people were made aware of this bug in good time and did something about reducing the impact.

No one seems to know, and we're just not prepared for the switch over.
Isn't that what this transitional year was supposed to be used for, to not only try and reach a deal but also address what will happen with investments, passports and movement of people. What will be the rights of EU citizens in the UK once January 1st hits?

We don't seem to be any further forward than what we were at the beginning of the year.

The UK have taken the same approach to brexit as I do deadlines. Ignore the duck out of them and then panic last minute trying to get everything done.

• Haha
Isn't that what this transitional year was supposed to be used for, to not only try and reach a deal but also address what will happen with investments, passports and movement of people. What will be the rights of EU citizens in the UK once January 1st hits?

We don't seem to be any further forward than what we were at the beginning of the year.
EU citizens are fine and have been sorted. British immigrants, sorry i mean expats, in the EU are suddenly finding out that they need to sort out their own drivers licences, bank accounts, property laws as if they don't have naturalisation status.

Freedom of movement has gone. Bastards.

Reactions: 3
EU citizens are fine and have been sorted. British immigrants, sorry i mean expats, in the EU are suddenly finding out that they need to sort out their own drivers licences, bank accounts, property laws as if they don't have naturalisation status.

Yes, from the 1st January it will be a points based system for those coming to the UK. I just wonder if you're in airport security or travelling through the eurotunnel and the clock strikes midnight whether there would be a mad rush to join other queues 😂

Reactions: 1

If by "suddenly" you mean "had a year" (or arguably four years if they wanted to be prepared for all outcomes), yes.

If by "suddenly" you mean "had a year" (or arguably four years if they wanted to be prepared for all outcomes), yes.
Well, the couple I am talking to are saying it's sudden. It's bollocks of course, as they knew that once the UK had left the EU things would change, but they thought that nothing would change for them as they are British and that the Europeans needed us more than them. Yeah, they had listened to Farages bullshit....

Does anyone actually believe this Sunday's "moment of truth" deadline will mean anything? 🤣

I now think we're going to have a few weeks of no deal early next year then a deal will be signed

Does anyone actually believe this Sunday's "moment of truth" deadline will mean anything? 🤣

I now think we're going to have a few weeks of no deal early next year then a deal will be signed
No, deadlines aren't worth the breath when they are discussed. I agree about it will go on into next year.