Breast feeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't "lecture"just because I have a different opinion , I'm stating facts and expressing misunderstanding at why people don't chose to give babies the best.
And horror at opinions like yours which are damaging.
My needs are certainly not being met - no sleep or time to myself, but it is a worthy sacrifice to give my baby the best start. His needs come first.

Giving the baby the best also includes the baby having a happy mum who isn’t mentally and physically stressed.

Breast or bottle feeding is just one small aspect of raising a happy healthy child whichever method is chosen.

Reactions: 14
With my first baby, I really struggled as I have inverted nipples and she couldn’t latch. After the first week she’d lost so much weight the doctors told me I had to formula feed because she was so tiny. I was devastated and tried pumping for her for a month and hardly produced any milk.

My second baby I managed to breastfeed him for 2.5 months before I had to return to full time teaching - 7am - 5pm and I really struggled pumping for him while at work.

Both my kids are super healthy - they rarely even get a cold. I felt a lot of guilt for not being able to feed them both for longer but in the end it is what it is. It really upsets me people saying lack of milk is just an excuse. It was so real for me and I’m sure for many others.
For goodness sake dont express that opinion in here. I totally agree with you, but TravelYappy will jump on you and tell you you need an Education ..... which she enjoys giving you 😂😂

I don't "lecture"just because I have a different opinion , I'm stating facts and expressing misunderstanding at why people don't chose to give babies the best.
My needs are certainly not being met - no sleep or time to myself, but it is a worthy sacrifice to give my baby the best start. His needs come first.

Giving the baby the best also includes the baby having a happy mum who isn’t mentally and physically stressed.

Breast or bottle feeding is just one small aspect of raising a happy healthy child whichever method is chosen.
I agree - a lot of the time what mum needs is more support and correct advice which we are definitely lacking in the UK.

With my first baby, I really struggled as I have inverted nipples and she couldn’t latch. After the first week she’d lost so much weight the doctors told me I had to formula feed because she was so tiny. I was devastated and tried pumping for her for a month and hardly produced any milk.

My second baby I managed to breastfeed him for 2.5 months before I had to return to full time teaching - 7am - 5pm and I really struggled pumping for him while at work.

Both my kids are super healthy - they rarely even get a cold. I felt a lot of guilt for not being able to feed them both for longer but in the end it is what it is. It really upsets me people saying lack of milk is just an excuse. It was so real for me and I’m sure for many others.
You did what you could and tried your best, don't feel guilty. Any breastmilk is golden and beneficial.
I just don't understand not trying at all 🤷🏻‍♀️ And the lack of support for so many is upsetting.

Well when you have raised 4 happy healthy Kids to Adulthood , please come back to me and tell me how to do it correctly Dear. You cant teach your Granny to suck eggs 😆
Happy and healthy - they must have been breastfed then 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I agree - a lot of the time what mum needs is more support and correct advice which we are definitely lacking in the UK.

You did what you could and tried your best, don't feel guilty. Any breastmilk is golden and beneficial.
I just don't understand not trying at all 🤷🏻‍♀️ And the lack of support for so many is upsetting.

Happy and healthy - they must have been breastfed then 😆
absolutely not. I wasnt able to feed any of them myself. My goodness. How did they cope without breastmilk??!!🤔

Reactions: 2
I find that statement wrong on so many levels. Just because someone doesn’t breastfeed in no way means they aren’t giving their child the best start in life or putting them first.

Reactions: 10
What would the suggestion be for me? I was dry..dryer than the dryest, dry thing?

• Haha
Reactions: 3
What would the suggestion be for me? I was dry..dryer than the dryest, dry thing?
surely to goodness you could have wrung something out, yoi selfish little mare! 🤣

You weren't able to? Whc

you weren't able to? Which suggests you tried ... so why are you so against breastfeeding?
I never said i was against. What I am against is condescending pompous fools like you who condemn people like me withot ANY of the facts.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I find that statement wrong on so many levels. Just because someone doesn’t breastfeed in no way means they aren’t giving their child the best start in life or putting them first.
Breastmilk is the best start nutritionally for a child, this is scientific and cannot be denied. You're right in that not breastfeeding doesn't necessarily equal not putting baby first. It depends on the reason.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
surely to goodness you could have wrung something out, yoi selfish little mare! 🤣

I never said i was against. What I am against is condescending pompous fools like you who condemn people like me withot ANY of the facts.
Lol at condescending pompous fool 😂 Thanks!
You posted a damaging opinion that as soon as baby has a tooth and can hold a cup they should be weaned - and I challenged it.

Reactions: 5
You posted a damaging opinion that as soon as baby has a tooth and can hold a cup they should be weaned - and I challenged it.
IN MY OPINION. Which you do not allow me to express obviously lol. And yes. You really ARE coming across as condescending and pompous. Now does your 6 year old not need Bitty? 🤣

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Honestly for me it’s felt like the opposite, that I’m almost embarrassed to say I breastfeed, as there’s so much on social media etc emphasising how we have to stop guilting those who choose (or don’t have any other choice) to formula feed and it doesn’t matter etc. It feels like it’s swung the other way. Too emotive a subject it seems to be neutral.
I agree. I never see any support in the media for breastfeeding it’s all negative comments on the subject.

I was attempting to breastfeed my firstborn after the birth when a midwife came in and said ‘I’ve got people complaining about your baby crying, can I give it a bottle’. I found that so upsetting. I refused and said no I wanted to breastfeed.

Second child I was the only one on a ward of 6 who was breastfeeding. They used to stare at me feeding as if I was a freak. One asked ‘but how do you know when the baby is full’? I was asked by my Health Visitor to attend her baby group and help her promote breast feeding as I live in a deprived area where breastfeeding is uncommon.

I told my sister in law I was going to breastfeed. She had bottle fed and so pulled a face. I said ‘didn’t you want to try breastfeeding’ she said ‘urgh no, it’s disgusting’!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
All I can say is this...I had no milk. None , nada..I tried until I was physically and mentally exhausted and he'd lost weight. At the time I felt hopeless.. now, I look at my eldest all these years later, 6ft tall and doing great. Maybe formula isn't/wasn't ideal. But no-one should be vilified for bottle feeding their child.

Reactions: 6
I wouldn't know as I'm not a medical expert just someone passionate about breastfeeding who knows a little bit. Some women don't have enough glandular tissue which develops during puberty. Some babies are lactose intolerant, sometimes the milk takes longer to come in. 🤷🏻‍♀️

All I can say is this...I had no milk. None , nada..I tried until I was physically and mentally exhausted and he'd lost weight. At the time I felt hopeless.. now, I look at my eldest all these years later, 6ft tall and doing great. Maybe formula isn't/wasn't ideal. But no-one should be vilified for bottle feeding their child.
I'm sorry you went through this. I agree with you no one should be vilified , that's not what I am saying either.

Reactions: 1
I wouldn't know as I'm not a medical expert just someone passionate about breastfeeding who knows a little bit. Some women don't have enough glandular tissue which develops during puberty. Some babies are lactose intolerant, sometimes the milk takes longer to come in. 🤷🏻‍♀️
It never came..not even a drop. I was never even told this may happen. I assumed I would have an abundance of milk. Its not always black and white.

It never came..not even a drop. I was never even told this may happen. I assumed I would have an abundance of milk. Its not always black and white.
Agreed it's not. And the support information and advice is not as it should be.
I'm not against formula feeding at all, I'm glad it is there as a plan B. I just don't understand when it is used as plan A without a drop of breastmilk.

IN MY OPINION. Which you do not allow me to express obviously lol. And yes. You really ARE coming across as condescending and pompous. Now does your 6 year old not need Bitty? 🤣
😂 yes he will do soon no doubt.
Lucky for you I'm not here to name call.

• Haha
Agreed it's not. And the support information and advice is not as it should be.
I'm not against formula feeding at all, I'm glad it is there as a plan B. I just don't understand when it is used as plan A without a drop of breastmilk.
There could be a plethora of reasons, someone might not want to divulge. It's a very personal choice. One of many we make as a parent. We can only ever do our best. While for you it means breast feeding, for others it doesn't. Parenthood is wonderful but bloody hard aswell. We navigate it the best we can. We should support others desions, and accept our opinions and ideals aren't always shared. By all means if someone asks you, your veiws, share them. If not then perhaps don't? If it's an open debate, be prepared to listen, you still may not agree but atleast you may understand better why some choose differently.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11