Breast feeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So glad the two people above me have said they just didn’t want to. That was me! Never mind breastfeeders, we are the stigmatised group. I’ve got a very healthy smart 3yr old

Reactions: 10
I'm not one to defend Hinch by any means, but I didn't know how big the debate was until I was pregnant with my first. Not everyone can know if it's something they've never thought about. Unless pregnant, why would you give breastfeeding or car seats another thought? It is a learning curve. However, she should be able to do as she pleases with her own child. I didn't breast feed purely through choice, and my son was forward facing as soon as he was tall and heavy enough. Why? Because he's my kid and I'll do what I see is ok for him.

I really don't get this whole sanctimommy attitude. Maybe people should spend their time worrying about their own kids they have parental responsibility for rather than other peoples

Reactions: 11
I'm not one to defend Hinch by any means, but I didn't know how big the debate was until I was pregnant with my first. Not everyone can know if it's something they've never thought about. Unless pregnant, why would you give breastfeeding or car seats another thought? It is a learning curve. However, she should be able to do as she pleases with her own child. I didn't breast feed purely through choice, and my son was forward facing as soon as he was tall and heavy enough. Why? Because he's my kid and I'll do what I see is ok for him.

I really don't get this whole sanctimommy attitude. Maybe people should spend their time worrying about their own kids they have parental responsibility for rather than other peoples
I get what your saying but I think it’s hard to not of heard of the “breast is best “ concept xx

Reactions: 4
A fed baby is a happy baby!!! Who gives a flying fiddlers duck how he is fed???? Its noones bastard business. My two where bottle fed, and that was my choice never wanted to BF didnt even try it, not my thing, wasnt for me so shoot me 🙄🙄🙄 they are still alive healthy and very smart kids! Jesssus

Reactions: 37
Silly sentiment probably. But I think what's best for baby is a happy mam. Wether they're breast or bottle feeding.

Reactions: 6
I breastfed mine until they were six months and as soon as I put them on bottles I wished I had done it earlier, but I remember my mother in law coming over and brining disgusted with me for putting them on formula.

I hate the ‘breast is best’. No, a baby getting fed is best. Who cares if it’s bottle/breast as long as they are growing and healthy.

Reactions: 6
Im really pro breastfeeding - fed my daughter until she was 2 and 13 months in with my son. What no one really tells you is the total exhaustion you will suffer feeding a new born baby every 2 hours around the clock. What I find really frustrating is the number of women I’ve met who seemingly just use “I didn’t produce enough milk” as an excuse. It’s supply and demand - the more you feed/express the more milk you make. Honestly in real life I’ve not even met a single mum who has actually been honest and has said I just didn’t want to breast feed as it’s always veiled with an excuse.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Im really pro breastfeeding - fed my daughter until she was 2 and 13 months in with my son. What no one really tells you is the total exhaustion you will suffer feeding a new born baby every 2 hours around the clock. What I find really frustrating is the number of women I’ve met who seemingly just use “I didn’t produce enough milk” as an excuse. It’s supply and demand - the more you feed/express the more milk you make. Honestly in real life I’ve not even met a single mum who has actually been honest and has said I just didn’t want to breast feed as it’s always veiled with an excuse.
Ever thought that it’s not an excuse? That is miseducation? Lack of support?

Worried they’ll be judged if they don’t give a reason? Despite choosing not to being a personal choice?

As for having not met a single mum who has been honest - you know that how? How do you know if her reasons are genuine?

To me - It speaks volumes that women feel they HAVE to give a reason as to why they didn’t breastfeed. And even when they do - they’re accused of making excuses anyway!

I could tell you the reasons I didn’t. But you’d probably think it was me making excuses. Probably not even the fact that I exhausted myself physically and mentally for 9 weeks pumping because he wouldn’t latch would be good enough for you.

Patronising, judgemental women really make my blood boil.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I have had 3 babies and breast feeding just didn’t work for me.

I had big bruisers ,9lbs+ and I couldn’t produce enough milk to satisfy any of them , bottle milk immediately satisfied and settled them after a week or so of hell.

Let’s face it , they all eat McDonalds and crap as teens regardless of breast or bottle.

I find your comment a bit tit really, we’ve all been there feeding our babies all night, some of us found it harder than others.

I’m glad you weren’t my friend to tell me you found my ‘excuse’ was frustrating for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Well I’ve put it out there so i’ll just own my opinion. You’re right some do find it harder than others, but also on a personal level it is more important to some to persist with breastfeeding rather than give up. There is an outrageous lack of support for mums that do want to breastfeed and also a lack of education on it too. For me breastfeeding was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life - waking up a minimum of 4 times every single night for over a year was crippling at times but it was my choice. So equally if you choose not to breastfeed out of personal choice, then you should own that decision and shouldn’t have to justify it other than “I don’t want to”

Reactions: 5
Honestly for me it’s felt like the opposite, that I’m almost embarrassed to say I breastfeed, as there’s so much on social media etc emphasising how we have to stop guilting those who choose (or don’t have any other choice) to formula feed and it doesn’t matter etc. It feels like it’s swung the other way. Too emotive a subject it seems to be neutral.

Reactions: 12
You are out of line. Some of us actually DIDNT produce enough milk. It’s not excuse.
You feed your kids as you see fit, you are lucky that your body is doing what you want it to do. Some of us just can’t. No excuses- just bad luck.
As long as the baby is fed and healthy who cares?
I’d rather a fed, healthy, happy baby and a happy mum than an exhausted mother who’s getting broken sleep due to the pressure of feeling like she has to breast feed because god forbid she doesn’t want to/chooses not to/isn’t able to.
There are a million more other more important things to worry about than sodding breast feeding. Honestly! 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I’m glad you know you own your opinion , good!

What I find really frustrating is the number of women I’ve met who seemingly just use “I didn’t produce enough milk” as an excuse. It’s supply and demand - the more you feed/express the more milk you make.

You write that as if we don’t know about what supply and demand actually means, I’m sure the majority of us do.

...and so what if a woman chooses to use an excuse for her reluctance to bf, it really is nothing to do with you or anyone else, however frustrating it may be.

Reactions: 9
Sorry but we are all entitled to our opinions. Each to their own - but if the Child can drink from a cup and has teeth then it doesnt need the Breast lol. And its a change from the breast is best brigade guilting Mums who decide to bottle feed for whatever reason 😉
This Is so ignorant 🤦🏻‍♀️ a child will go to the breast for countless reasons aside from thirst. My child had teeth from 4 months and a cup at 6 months with solids so you think what - time to give him the breastmilk of a cow Instead? WHO and NHS recommending breastfeeding until 2 years and beyond.

The lack of support in the UK and western world for breastfeeding mums is horrific when it IS what is BEST for baby.

It baffles me to think of bringing a child into this world and not wanting to give them the best start. Give them immunity from thousands of viruses and bacteria. Help them through any bugs they do pick up quicker with comfort the way nature intended. Why would you say no to this and shove a piece of plastic in their mouth instead?

How much money could our NHS save if more women breastfed- lower rates of Ovarian cancer, breast cancer , osteoporosis for mum, lower risk of childhood obesity , mental health problems for children, lower risk of SIDS .... I just can't comprehend why people don't give it a shot. Or is this information not widely known?

My heart aches for those who tried and couldn't for various reasons. However something like less than 5% of women are not able to produce enough milk. More often than not is lack of support/knowledge/pressure from family that means we have so many mums giving up. We need a huge shift in attitudes in this society , formula shouldn't be the go to or the norm.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
This Is so ignorant 🤦🏻‍♀️ a child will go to the breast for countless reasons aside from thirst. My child had teeth from 4 months and a cup at 6 months with solids so you think what - time to give him the breastmilk of a cow Instead? WHO and NHS recommending breastfeeding until 2 years and beyond.

The lack of support in the UK and western world for breastfeeding mums is horrific when it IS what is BEST for baby.

It baffles me to think of bringing a child into this world and not wanting to give them the best start. Give them immunity from thousands of viruses and bacteria. Help them through any bugs they do pick up quicker with comfort the way nature intended. Why would you say no to this and shove a piece of plastic in their mouth instead?

How much money could our NHS save if more women breastfed- lower rates of Ovarian cancer, breast cancer , osteoporosis for mum, lower risk of childhood obesity , mental health problems for children, lower risk of SIDS .... I just can't comprehend why people don't give it a shot. Or is this information not widely known?

My heart aches for those who tried and couldn't for various reasons. However something like less than 5% of women are not able to produce enough milk. More often than not is lack of support/knowledge/pressure from family that means we have so many mums giving up. We need a huge shift in attitudes in this society , formula shouldn't be the go to or the norm.
😴😴😴😴😴😴 "ignorant" or not, Hun. Its my opinion, to which I am entitled without a boring lecture from you. Perhaps Mumsnet would suit you better?? Off you toddle now xx

• Angry
😴😴😴😴😴😴 "ignorant" or not, Hun. Its my opinion, to which I am entitled without a boring lecture from you. Perhaps Mumsnet would suit you better?? Off you toddle now xx
So it's your opinion that as soon as a baby gets teeth it's primary and the best source of nutrition on this planet for him should be removed and replaced with a below par alternative?? 🤔
Educate yourself.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion but this one is probably best kept to yourself, it's embarrassing.

Reactions: 13
So it's your opinion that as soon as a baby gets teeth it's primary and the best source of nutrition on this planet for him should be removed and replaced with a below par alternative?? 🤔
Educate yourself.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion but this one is probably best kept to yourself, it's embarrassing.
Bore off Hun xx

Educate yourself.

And its quite embarassing that you lecture anyone whose opinion differs from your own too. I bet you are feeding more to suit your own needs than the childs. Do you believe in co sleeping till the child is 14 too?.🤢

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 4
Bore off Hun xx

And its quite embarassing that you lecture anyone whose opinion differs from your own too. I bet you are feeding more to suit your own needs than the childs. Do you believe in co sleeping till the child is 14 too?.🤢
I don't "lecture"just because I have a different opinion , I'm stating facts and expressing misunderstanding at why people don't chose to give babies the best.
And horror at opinions like yours which are damaging.
My needs are certainly not being met - no sleep or time to myself, but it is a worthy sacrifice to give my baby the best start. His needs come first.

• Heart
I don't "lecture"just because I have a different opinion , I'm stating facts and expressing misunderstanding at why people don't chose to give babies the best.
And horror at opinions like yours which are damaging.
My needs are certainly not being met - no sleep or time to myself, but it is a worthy sacrifice to give my baby the best start. His needs come first.
Well when you have raised 4 happy healthy Kids to Adulthood , please come back to me and tell me how to do it correctly Dear. You cant teach your Granny to suck eggs 😆

• Wow
Reactions: 7
With my first baby, I really struggled as I have inverted nipples and she couldn’t latch. After the first week she’d lost so much weight the doctors told me I had to formula feed because she was so tiny. I was devastated and tried pumping for her for a month and hardly produced any milk.

My second baby I managed to breastfeed him for 2.5 months before I had to return to full time teaching - 7am - 5pm and I really struggled pumping for him while at work.

Both my kids are super healthy - they rarely even get a cold. I felt a lot of guilt for not being able to feed them both for longer but in the end it is what it is. It really upsets me people saying lack of milk is just an excuse. It was so real for me and I’m sure for many others.

Reactions: 8