Breast feeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What reason do you think she's doing it for?
In all honesty, I think she uses it for attention/engagement. Her husband was hit by a car and the first thing she did was post the ring doorbell footage so her intentions seem sketchy.

Influencers use all sorts of tit to stay relevant, and I think people like Kate actually do more harm than good to normalising BF

Reactions: 1
I dont know who she is so haven't seen her posts.
If I had a good breastfeeding journey/relationship then I would probably post about it on my wall too (if I were an influencer)
I dont think enough people show breastfeeding.
No one bats an eye at a bottle in a photo or of someone sitting bottle feeding but the minute its a breast, the mother is lambasted for showing off or looking for attention etc.
Its just a baby being fed. Nothing more and nothing less.

Reactions: 7
As 2 Unlimited wisely once said, no no no no no no no no no no no no.

At that point, she's getting more out of it than her kids are.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with breastfeeding a child to whatever age they wean. You’d think during a pandemic people would be more welcoming and supportive for breastfeeding seeing the benefits provide the child with antibodies as well as statistically putting less strain on the health service in general. Imagine getting annoyed at a child for feeding. Imagine getting annoyed at a mother for feeding her child.

Children who have been breastfed are far less likely to develop common childhood conditions and infections, as well as protective against vomiting and diarrhoea, childhood cancers like leukaemia, SIDS, obesity and even less likely to develop cardiovascular disease as an adult.

It doesn’t stop at the child either. Mum benefits too with it being statistically less likely she will develop ovarian and breast cancer, osteoporosis, obesity and also less likely to develop cardiovascular disease.

it’s not about fed being best. Fed is not an option. It’s a requirement of life.

Support is best. Support for all the mums whether they breastfeed for 1 feed, for 1 day, or as far as 7 years. Support for all the mums who chose not the breastfeed. Support for all the mums who wanted to breastfeed but couldn’t. It takes a village to raise a child, and if we don’t support the child’s primary care giver then we’re neglecting to support the child too.

Breastfeeding is much more than a nutritional fulfilment. Research shows us that breastfeeding actually helps relieve pain in babies, it encourages skin to skin, it supports the healthy development of the structures of the mouth. Breastfeeding is found to increase brain growth by 20-30%. It’s been found that breastfeeding has improved cognitive abilities, facilitated brain development, and a reduced risk for antisocial behaviors and atypical social development including ASD.The benefits of breastfeeding are still being researched - the funding is so few and far between that we’ll probably still be finding out new benefits to breastfeeding in years to come.
I'm sorry, but a lot of that is lactivist bullshit. Please don't spread ignorant facts, because there's nothing to back it up.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
At that point, she's getting more out of it than her kids are.

I'm sorry, but a lot of that is lactivist bullshit. Please don't spread ignorant facts, because there's nothing to back it up.
There are scientific studies to back up everything I said. If you don’t like breastfeeding it’s quite simple, don’t look no one is forcing you to.

I’ll link to a webpage which links to many resources of where a lot of my facts can be backed up my science.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Hello all only just found this thread.

I just wanted to say there is not enough support or encouragement. No one tells you how hard the first month is gonna be. Or that bleeding nipples, pain, thrush, engourgment pain and all the other crappy stuff that comes with it is normal and will pass. I've heard so many people say my nipples bleed so I had to give up. That's normal!

If my sister and law hadn't just been through it all I wouldn't have known, and if I hadn't had my mum supporting, I would have probably thought I can't do it and and given up.

We need to be more open with women about what breastfeeding actually looks like, we need more support and we need to be able to champion breastfeeding. Because it is better for babies and if we can't say that then it makes new mums feel like what's the point of going through all this pain and stress when it makes no difference what you feed them.

If you genuinely couldn't breastfeed then hearing breast is best shouldn't make you feel bad or guilty. If you didn't breastfeed because you didn't want to, then own your decision and don't try and stop people getting information out their to encourage breastfeeding.

I'm currently a year into breastfeeding my second. I was gonna stop around this time and TBH I want to. But with winter coming and rumours of a broncolitius and flu epidemic, I'm gonna keep going. Because it supports their immune systems. My first never got ill until I stopped breastfeeding and my second has still not been ill even when the rest of the house has been.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I know right??? Surely this stuff is well accepted!! Ive never seen such animosity to breastfeeding women
I don’t care if people want to not breastfeed, I don’t even really care if they hate breastfeeding (although I don’t understand that). But I just am BOGGLED by people who refuse to accept scientific fact about the benefits of breastfeeding!!

(And actually I don’t even like to refer to it as the benefits of breastfeeding since breastfeeding is the biological norm, it’s actually the drawbacks of not breastfeeding)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Hello all only just found this thread.

I just wanted to say there is not enough support or encouragement. No one tells you how hard the first month is gonna be. Or that bleeding nipples, pain, thrush, engourgment pain and all the other crappy stuff that comes with it is normal and will pass. I've heard so many people say my nipples bleed so I had to give up. That's normal!

If my sister and law hadn't just been through it all I wouldn't have known, and if I hadn't had my mum supporting, I would have probably thought I can't do it and and given up.

We need to be more open with women about what breastfeeding actually looks like, we need more support and we need to be able to champion breastfeeding. Because it is better for babies and if we can't say that then it makes new mums feel like what's the point of going through all this pain and stress when it makes no difference what you feed them.

If you genuinely couldn't breastfeed then hearing breast is best shouldn't make you feel bad or guilty. If you didn't breastfeed because you didn't want to, then own your decision and don't try and stop people getting information out their to encourage breastfeeding.

I'm currently a year into breastfeeding my second. I was gonna stop around this time and TBH I want to. But with winter coming and rumours of a broncolitius and flu epidemic, I'm gonna keep going. Because it supports their immune systems. My first never got ill until I stopped breastfeeding and my second has still not been ill even when the rest of the house has been.
Totally agree with you. There isn’t enough support out there for mums who want to breastfeed. I volunteer as a breastfeeding peer supporting taking calls from women up and down the country and it’s a common theme that they aren’t getting the right support and they often hear when they do ask for help “just give him/her a bottle” “it’s ok you don’t need to breastfeed that’s what formulas for” which is fine if mum wants to choose formula but often she just needs help making breastfeeding work for her because it’s what she wants to do. Breastfeeding can be very sore, demanding and overwhelming the first few weeeks and months but when you get the right support it really does make all the difference!
I’m currently feeding my 2.5 year old and I never imagined I would feed this long but he is reaping the benefits, it’s convenient for us both and I’m ready to stop when he is.

Reactions: 4
I wouldn’t call kellymom an extensive scientific resource. It’s just the website everyone who loves breastfeeding quotes, and full of papers said website owners have picked out. Hardly robust, and I’m a huge bf fan

I wouldn’t call kellymom an extensive scientific resource. It’s just the website everyone who loves breastfeeding quotes, and full of papers said website owners have picked out. Hardly robust, and I’m a huge bf fan
Kelly mom links to the sources of the scientific research - it’s all in one place instead of me posting 1000s of links to research you can find them on one platform. It’s not research Kelly mom has done.

Yes I know that. Just research they’ve chosen to publish on their pro breastfeeding site so pro breast feeders can “win” BF online debates by quoting scientific research 😂

Totally agree with you. There isn’t enough support out there for mums who want to breastfeed. I volunteer as a breastfeeding peer supporting taking calls from women up and down the country and it’s a common theme that they aren’t getting the right support and they often hear when they do ask for help “just give him/her a bottle” “it’s ok you don’t need to breastfeed that’s what formulas for” which is fine if mum wants to choose formula but often she just needs help making breastfeeding work for her because it’s what she wants to do. Breastfeeding can be very sore, demanding and overwhelming the first few weeeks and months but when you get the right support it really does make all the difference!
I’m currently feeding my 2.5 year old and I never imagined I would feed this long but he is reaping the benefits, it’s convenient for us both and I’m ready to stop when he is.
With both my kids I was given incorrect advice by the midwives as well. They told me my perfectly healthy normal weight babies weren't gaining quick enough so I should either suppliment with formula or pump in-between feeds. Both of which would have fucked my supply and possibly the babies latch.

All I needed to do was put the baby on the breast more. Which I did and it was fine.

It boggles my mind that people can possibly believe that feeding your child the way nature intended, the way they were intended to be fed, is not the best way to feed a baby. How can you honestly believe that processed cows milk is just as good.

Its like saying squash is just as good for you as eating an orange.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Yes I know that. Just research they’ve chosen to publish on their pro breastfeeding site so pro breast feeders can “win” BF online debates by quoting scientific research 😂
It’s not about winning what are you talking about? Do you have scientific evidence that disputes the research? Kellymom don’t benefit from sharing other people’s research, breastfeeding doesn’t get a marketing budget unlike the billion dollar formula industry.

However if you don’t trust kellymom I’d recommend you check pubmed, NICE, Cochrane library, science direct. You might need to be a member to view all their articles though.

• Heart
who said it was about winning? I agree with what’s been said above, breastfeeding and breastmilk are the evolutionary and biological norm for human infants. Formula is by definition a breastmilk substitute. The immunological benefits of breastfeeding cannot be replicated by formula and there are many other benefits to breastfeeding (or rather, drawbacks to not breastfeeding).
Perhaps the royal college of paediatrics is less biased for you…?
(See also…American Academy of Pediatrics, WHO, UNICEF etc etc etc)

Either way, I find it quite sad that a choice in favour of the human biological norm and defence of the right of a woman and her child to enjoy this biological norm is seen by you as some sort of political point scoring or competition.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It’s not about winning what are you talking about? Do you have scientific evidence that disputes the research? Kellymom don’t benefit from sharing other people’s research, breastfeeding doesn’t get a marketing budget unlike the billion dollar formula industry.

However if you don’t trust kellymom I’d recommend you check pubmed, NICE, Cochrane library, science direct. You might need to be a member to view all their articles though.

That is EXACTLY my point. Look at every women’s forum since the dawn of time (alright- 20 years 😂) and on every BF debate like this one you’ll find women linking kelly mom and demanding people a) read the science papers linked and b) find conflicting evidence if they dispute them.

Did YOU find scientific evidence? No, you linked kelly mom
Did YOU Validate kelly moms science papers and research? no, you linked to kellymom.

Do YOU have the ability to disconcert between quality scientific research and baseless crap? I don’t know, but you still linked to Kelly mom.

Over many years of reading BF debates online I e mumsnet I’ve seen plenty of evidence that the benefits of BF at individual level are negligible (they are not at population level). Plenty of papers pointing to sociology economic influencers being more powerful than BF.
Am I going to search through science paper databases I don’t have access to and find them for you? Am I buggery 😂

That is EXACTLY my point. Look at every women’s forum since the dawn of time (alright- 20 years 😂) and on every BF debate like this one you’ll find women linking kelly mom and demanding people a) read the science papers linked and b) find conflicting evidence if they dispute them.

Did YOU find scientific evidence? No, you linked kelly mom
Did YOU Validate kelly moms science papers and research? no, you linked to kellymom.

Do YOU have the ability to disconcert between quality scientific research and baseless crap? I don’t know, but you still linked to Kelly mom.

Over many years of reading BF debates online I e mumsnet I’ve seen plenty of evidence that the benefits of BF at individual level are negligible (they are not at population level). Plenty of papers pointing to sociology economic influencers being more powerful than BF.
Am I going to search through science paper databases I don’t have access to and find them for you? Am I buggery 😂
I have done extensive training in breastfeeding to qualify in my volunteer role supporting mothers with breastfeeding. Part of that training included researching the science behind it so yes I have researched the science. I find Kelly mom a helpful platform where it holds links to many peer reviewed scientific data and research. I’ve provided you other platforms that will give you access to other scientific data.

I didn’t come here for a debate and wouldn’t debate on anyone’s choice for how they’d feed their baby it’s up to mum it’s not a competition and there isn’t a right way or wrong way. What matters to me is mums are supported whether they choose formula or breast milk.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I agree that support is essential and also acknowledge you weren’t the only snarky poster. However whilst kellymom is accessible and supportive, it isn’t some gotcha to prove your & other posters points. And being a BF counsellor requires a very low level of scientific knowledge/ research

I agree that support is essential and also acknowledge you weren’t the only snarky poster. However whilst kellymom is accessible and supportive, it isn’t some gotcha to prove your & other posters points. And being a BF counsellor requires a very low level of scientific knowledge/ research
I wasn’t posting it to for it to be a “gotcha moment” , none of my posts here have been to try and make anyone feel bad or like they’re doing something wrong. I was told my claims were bullshit and I pointed out they’re backed up by science, which they are.

For the average person they don’t care to look up science on the likes of pubmed or sciencedirect, and I believe Kelly mom is useful in that it’s easy to understand and all in one place.

That’s not true it requires a good understanding of scientific knowledge and research specifically related to breastfeeding and takes around 2 years to complete.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I know about the process to be a counsellor. Maybe the level of scientific knowledge you think it needs depends on your starting point. I don’t know anyone who thought it took a good understanding, and I’m good friends with 3 counsellors. It’s only Breast feeding for god sake, you’re not becoming a virologist!

• Angry