Breast feeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know about the process to be a counsellor. Maybe the level of scientific knowledge you think it needs depends on your starting point. I don’t know anyone who thought it took a good understanding, and I’m good friends with 3 counsellors. It’s only Breast feeding for god sake, you’re not becoming a virologist!
I hope you’re not as hostile towards your friends.

I never said anything about becoming a virologist did I? I said the science knowledge required was specifically related to breastfeeding and used *good* as in greater than low level as a response to what you said.

I’m really not sure where you’re going with this at this point. If you’re looking an argument you won’t get one from me.

Reactions: 1
Imagine being so discontent in yourself that you feel the need to argue that people who provide links to lists of scientific research are somehow wrong because they haven’t done the research themselves 🤨

If breastfeeding has no benefits why is recommended by government health organisations worldwide? Honestly, some people’s desire to be so against breastfeeding that they lose sight of their common sense absolutely astounds me.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Imagine being so discontent in yourself that you feel the need to argue that people who provide links to lists of scientific research are somehow wrong because they haven’t done the research themselves 🤨

If breastfeeding has no benefits why is recommended by government health organisations worldwide? Honestly, some people’s desire to be so against breastfeeding that they lose sight of their common sense absolutely astounds me.
I don’t even know where to start with this 😂 all this alleged scientific knowledge yet you seem unable to comprehend text. Can you quote where I’ve suggested breastfeeding has no benefits? Or are you just being a drama llama (actually don’t answer that- you’ve answered it yourself with the “discontent” argument)

@Notgonnalie my friends are wonderful, as, (as I previously stated), the support given by breastfeeding counsellors. 2 of them are also scientists and will happily tell you there is no science involved 😁

I don’t even know where to start with this 😂 all this alleged scientific knowledge yet you seem unable to comprehend text. Can you quote where I’ve suggested breastfeeding has no benefits? Or are you just being a drama llama (actually don’t answer that- you’ve answered it yourself with the “discontent” argument)

@Notgonnalie my friends are wonderful, as, (as I previously stated), the support given by breastfeeding counsellors. 2 of them are also scientists and will happily tell you there is no science involved 😁
Please stop trying to provoke me into an argument and continuing a pointless conversation. You disagree that there’s science behind breastfeeding, that’s absolutely fine I have no desire to change your mind or convince you of anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You’re replying! Take some responsibility for your posts. “No science behind breastfeeding” doesn’t even make any sense.

No real science involved in being a breastfeeding counsellor obviously. That’s what this ENTIRE conversation was about when you tried to shut it down with your kelly mom links.

You might think everyone who disagrees with your passionate breastfeeding arguments is too thick to “do science” but you would be wrong, and also embodying everything other women hate about what they refer* to as breastfeeding nazis

*very unkindly, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t describe the patronising bull illustrated over the last few pages

• Wow

I’m sorry, I don’t think I mentioned you or quoted you at all? So not sure why you’re having a go at me…And I never said I had specific scientific knowledge, I said that breastfeeding has lots of scientific research behind it.
😊

Last edited:
  • Heart
I don’t argue about breastfeeding with anyone and don’t foresee anyone as being “too thick to do research” what an odd statement to make. I support mums with whatever way they feed their babys. I posted the links because i was told the benefits I listed about breastfeeding were bullshit. Nothing to do with breastfeeding counsellor training.

You sound very angry and I’m not sure why you keep trying to have a go at me I haven’t done anything wrong. You disagree with my posts, I have no desire in convincing you that I’m right, you’re entitled to your opinions.
Let’s leave it there.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I know about the process to be a counsellor. Maybe the level of scientific knowledge you think it needs depends on your starting point. I don’t know anyone who thought it took a good understanding, and I’m good friends with 3 counsellors. It’s only Breast feeding for god sake, you’re not becoming a virologist!
I wonder does the difference between a lactation consultant v a counsellor add to the confusion? I’m a SLT working in paediatric dysphagia and have worked with LCs on the post natal wards and neonatal unit and they’re depth of knowledge would be phenomenal and very highly qualified

Reactions: 3
A breastfeeding counsellor like the woman in the mirror article linked would be someone who answers the NCT breastfeeding hotline or runs a LLL breastfeeding cafe. Not a hospital employed laceration consultant

At that point, she's getting more out of it than her kids are.

I'm sorry, but a lot of that is lactivist bullshit. Please don't spread ignorant facts, because there's nothing to back it up.
Shes getting more out of it than her kids are? What exactly are you suggesting shes getting from it?

You seem to have a huge issue with breastfeeding. Perhaps you could benefit from some understanding of the benefits to both child and mother.

Its really sad to see women coming to this thread to slate breastfeeding or try to downplay the benefits to both child and mother.
Ita not difficult to find the information needed to truly understand breastmilk and its benefits.
Its easier to call women lactivists and try to make out that they are seedy or they think that they are superior to others.
Facts aren't attacks and the fact is that human milk is the biologically normal food for a human baby. Fed is not best, fed is the bare minimum that anyone should be doing

A breastfeeding counsellor like the woman in the mirror article linked would be someone who answers the NCT breastfeeding hotline or runs a LLL breastfeeding cafe. Not a hospital employed laceration consultant
Lactation consultants take years to qualify. It takes longer to qualify as a lactation consultant than it does to qualify as a nurse.
Breastfeeding counsellors can take many forms. Some "only" man phone lines and for others its a full time job.
There is a lot of training and educating needed to become a breastfeeding counseller. Please don't make out that its just someone running a drop in cafe or answering a phone. You are describing a peer supporter which is entirely different

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I know this is an old thread but I think I have mastitis. My little one is 2 but still bf . I feel sl ill . I've got a phone consultation at the docs tomorrow

• Heart
I know this is an old thread but I think I have mastitis. My little one is 2 but still bf . I feel sl ill . I've got a phone consultation at the docs tomorrow
Oh that is miserable. Has your LO dropped any feeds lately that might be the cause?

Yeah, then they were poorly and starting feeding a lot.
Now they can't latch at that side as I'm so swollen
Oh that sounds horrendous. Hot compresses and expressing, and then I’ve read recently that I’ve packs in between feeds/expressing help keep the swelling down and alleviate some pain.

I've seen a hack where people use a Hakka filled with hot water and attach it the breast, apparently the combination of steam and suction can help clear blocked ducts? I've never had mastitis ,(touch wood) but have read in lots of places that you should continue to feed baby from that side. Hope you feel better soon

I've seen a hack where people use a Hakka filled with hot water and attach it the breast, apparently the combination of steam and suction can help clear blocked ducts? I've never had mastitis ,(touch wood) but have read in lots of places that you should continue to feed baby from that side. Hope you feel better soon
Oh yes, I’ve seen that too with Epsom salts in the water (I dunno what Epsom salts are though 🤷🏻‍♀️)

I have four children and breastfed them all, not all for the same length of time and never for longer than a year. One thing I’ve never understood is why people are so interested in how the next woman feeds her child. None of my business and I was always too exhausted to care 🤣