Breast feeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree. I don’t think people actually have a problem with BF. It’s completely normal.

However I really find it uncomfortable when women post pics of them BF or do it in public. It’s awkward. I don’t want to see a strangers big veiny boob being flopped out. And I think that’s how others feel. It’s not that they think BF is wrong it’s the fact they don’t want to see it.
Wow .. breastfeeding shouldn’t be done in public?? It’s people like you that contribute to the stigma with comments like that. No mum should be made to stay home or go hide to feed their baby. Maybe just don’t look if it bothers you!! I’ve never known a mum to get her full on boobs out anyway, once baby is latched on you can’t even see anything 🤣 if anyone came up to me whilst I was breastfeeding in public and told me to stop I would tell them where to go!!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I agree. I don’t think people actually have a problem with BF. It’s completely normal.

However I really find it uncomfortable when women post pics of them BF or do it in public. It’s awkward. I don’t want to see a strangers big veiny boob being flopped out. And I think that’s how others feel. It’s not that they think BF is wrong it’s the fact they don’t want to see it.
Seriously? It’s just a baby having a feed. Society has no problem with displaying breasts for a sexual nature but if they are used for the intended purpose it’s wrong. It’s hard enough being a new parent to get out and about without being shamed for the way we choose to feed our child? Would you rather all breastfeeding mothers stay indoors alone until the baby is weaned?

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Would you eat your dinner in the toilet?

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Imagine having an issue with a child being fed in a public space?? I can’t believe there are people out there who think that way and feel offended by it when it’s the most natural thing in the world.

Back to Zoella, she looks so much better in that screen capture before she started altering who she is to please Alfie!! I know her first lot of stennies were #gifted #ad so she was probably making money from it at first but surely they get on her nerves? Her shorter hair looks so much nicer

Reactions: 8

If they don’t want to see it they don’t have to look. I don’t want to see ignorant twats in public, but they are everywhere clearly. So I’ll just use the power of moving my eyes to not look at them. If you don’t want to see a strangers “big veiny boob” then stop bloody looking! If I’m offended by someone’s face I don’t ask them to cover it up just because I don’t like it. I just look away!
Let’s remember a woman’s right to breastfeed is protected by law, and nowhere does it say she has to cover up.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
No one actually said it shouldn't be done in public, nor that women should cover up.
I think it's pretty obvious that what was meant was that just like people have to accept that it's something natural which happens without a schedule, it is also ok to not feel comfortable with it.
Have you thought that maybe this whole speech also affects women who do want to cover up? There are clothe lines which have extra flaps so that women can comfortably breastfeed in public because guess what: lots of them don't want to have their boob out in public, but also don't want to go to the bathroom or something.

This is supposed to be a dialogue where people listen to both sides.
No one said babies shouldn't eat, and it's not fair to compare it to eating with a blanket on your head. I understand both sides, and when I see a woman breastfeeding, I actually find it very endearing and sweet (no, I don't stare. but sometimes it's just right in front of you). But I also understand that some people (both mothers and non-mothers) do feel uncomfortable.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
No one actually said it shouldn't be done in public, nor that women should cover up.
I think it's pretty obvious that what was meant was that just like people have to accept that it's something natural which happens without a schedule, it is also ok to not feel comfortable with it.
Have you thought that maybe this whole speech also affects women who do want to cover up? There are clothe lines which have extra flaps so that women can comfortably breastfeed in public because guess what: lots of them don't want to have their boob out in public, but also don't want to go to the bathroom or something.

This is supposed to be a dialogue where people listen to both sides.
No one said babies shouldn't eat, and it's not fair to compare it to eating with a blanket on your head. I understand both sides, and when I see a woman breastfeeding, I actually find it very endearing and sweet (no, I don't stare. but sometimes it's just right in front of you). But I also understand that some people (both mothers and non-mothers) do feel uncomfortable.
But people don’t have to say they are uncomfortable. If you are, just don’t look and move on. I really don’t understand why there is even a discussion around it as if anyone’s opinion, other than that of the feeding mother, actually is important. You said in a previous post there has to be a middle ground. No, there absolutely doesn’t. If I want to flap both boobs out and adorn them with diamantés to breastfeed my baby in public, I will because NOBODY ELSE’S OPINION MATTERS. If that makes people uncomfortable, that is their issue. By saying we have to acknowledge some people are uncomfortable it implies that a bf mother is in some way responsible for other people’s feelings. It’s crap.
The only thing a bf mother is responsible for is ensuring she and her baby are happy. We owe nothing to anyone but ourself and our baby.

If I were a small minded idiot I might find it uncomfortable to see people with a disability. Does that give me the right to say it? Nope.
If I were a small minded idiot I might find it uncomfortable to see people with blonde hair. Does that give me the right to say it? Nope.
If I were a small minded idiot I might find it uncomfortable seeing same sex couples holding hands in public. Does that give me the right to say it? Nope.

See where I’m going here? We don’t have any right to voice our discomfort over what someone else chooses to do with their body. If you don’t like it, that’s absolutely fine! You don’t have to! It’s not you doing it!

It all comes back to the issue that when a woman gets pregnant she becomes public property. People think they have a right to discuss her body and her choices.

And anyone who says “I support breastfeeding BUT…” doesn’t really support breastfeeding at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
And anyone who says “I support breastfeeding BUT…” doesn’t really support breastfeeding at all.
You can say that about anything.
You can also understand other people's view on something, while still doing your thing.
I never said women should not breasfeed. No one said that. You're ignoring 90% of what is being said.

Also, it is not a matter of "supporting it". Breast feeding is not an idea or a project. It just happens, and you have to accept it.
We're talking about it being ok for someone to not being comfortable with seeing that. It does not mean that that person will say or do something about it.

I also understand that there are subjects where not everyone is entitled to have an opinion. But here, although, once again, I do not have a problem seeing it. But I do understand that some people still feel that way – it's part of the journey towards a world where everyone will just see it as something completely normal to run into.

Reactions: 1
You can say that about anything.
You can also understand other people's view on something, while still doing your thing.
I never said women should not breasfeed. No one said that. You're ignoring 90% of what is being said.

Also, it is not a matter of "supporting it". Breast feeding is not an idea or a project. It just happens, and you have to accept it.
We're talking about it being ok for someone to not being comfortable with seeing that. It does not mean that that person will say or do something about it.

I also understand that there are subjects where not everyone is entitled to have an opinion. But here, although, once again, I do not have a problem seeing it. But I do understand that some people still feel that way – it's part of the journey towards a world where everyone will just see it as something completely normal to run into.
yes I understand that people have differing opinions, but again they don’t have to be voiced when that opinion means nothing. Your opinion on other people breastfeeding means nothing. My opinion on other people breastfeeding means nothing. The only opinion that matters is that of the mother and baby.

And yes it is something you can support. Gay marriage isn’t an idea or a project, you can still support that 👍🏻 It’s about supporting a mother to feel comfortable in her parenting decisions, which doesn’t just apply to feeding, but all decisions. And if that means keeping opinions to yourself, that’s what you do.

I honestly don’t understand how this is even being discussed. A woman chooses when and where and how to feed her baby and that’s it 🤷🏻‍♀️

ETA: I’m delighted that you personally are someone who supports breastfeeding

Last edited:
Reactions: 5

You quite clearly have a problem with breastfeeding

• Heart
As 2 Unlimited wisely once said, no no no no no no no no no no no no.

What's the issue? Unless she's using your breasts to feed her children then it doesn't affect you what they do.
The problem here certainly isn't this lady feeding her children in the way her body was designed to feed them

• Heart
  • Sick
There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding longer term - I only fed mine for a year, but I get the impression lots of women feed a lot longer and just don’t talk about it. It’s quite hard to get a baby off the breast, they just love it. So I can easily see some children want to carry on when they’re 4,5.

However there is a particular type of woman who seems obsessed with childbirth and breastfeeding, often stretching out the brief obsession you have when your own are tiny for many years after their children have grown up- frequently these women train as breastfeeding councillors or hypnobirthing trainers, or something centred around that birth experience. They’ll often enthusiastically longer term feed.

These are the women who you’ll see arguing on mumsnet about weaning and virgin gut theory even though their children are teenagers.
And that is exactly the type of woman who would go to the daily mirror to do a story on breastfeeding her children in the playground 😂

Whilst I’m really grateful that these women use their obsessions to do things like train as a BF counsellor, the other end of the stick is that I do think they can cause anxiety to new mums with the ie hysterical weaning debates

• Heart
Reactions: 5
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with breastfeeding a child to whatever age they wean. You’d think during a pandemic people would be more welcoming and supportive for breastfeeding seeing the benefits provide the child with antibodies as well as statistically putting less strain on the health service in general. Imagine getting annoyed at a child for feeding. Imagine getting annoyed at a mother for feeding her child.

Children who have been breastfed are far less likely to develop common childhood conditions and infections, as well as protective against vomiting and diarrhoea, childhood cancers like leukaemia, SIDS, obesity and even less likely to develop cardiovascular disease as an adult.

It doesn’t stop at the child either. Mum benefits too with it being statistically less likely she will develop ovarian and breast cancer, osteoporosis, obesity and also less likely to develop cardiovascular disease.

it’s not about fed being best. Fed is not an option. It’s a requirement of life.

Support is best. Support for all the mums whether they breastfeed for 1 feed, for 1 day, or as far as 7 years. Support for all the mums who chose not the breastfeed. Support for all the mums who wanted to breastfeed but couldn’t. It takes a village to raise a child, and if we don’t support the child’s primary care giver then we’re neglecting to support the child too.

Breastfeeding is much more than a nutritional fulfilment. Research shows us that breastfeeding actually helps relieve pain in babies, it encourages skin to skin, it supports the healthy development of the structures of the mouth. Breastfeeding is found to increase brain growth by 20-30%. It’s been found that breastfeeding has improved cognitive abilities, facilitated brain development, and a reduced risk for antisocial behaviors and atypical social development including ASD.The benefits of breastfeeding are still being researched - the funding is so few and far between that we’ll probably still be finding out new benefits to breastfeeding in years to come.

• Heart
I breastfed my son until he's 3 and i still feed my daughter who's 2. Couldn't care less about benefits to either of us or what other people think they can suck my asshole. I do it as my children love it and it's like crack cocaine to a toddler. And it's something between me and my children

• Heart
it's like crack cocaine to a toddler
Never a truer word spoken about breastfeeding 🤣🤣

it’s not about fed being best. Fed is not an option. It’s a requirement of life.
I agree wholeheartedly. I hate seeing “fed is best” when actually it’s completely bare minimum to feed your child. I understand how and why people use it, but really it’s rather ridiculous, IMO. I am all for people choosing what they want for their kid, you go on ahead and feed them how you like, but its still a stupid phrase that needs changed.

• Heart
  • Haha
I don't thing that's what was meant. We all know it's a matter of getting used to it. However, there are people who somehow cover it. If i'm feeling hot for some reason, I'm not gonna get naked, right? Even though I feel like it. And a baby being hungry is as legit as me not feeling well because it's too hot.

This said, I really don't have that much of a problem with breast feeding in public. But we should find a middle ground. My mom has told me she didn't have a problem breastfeeding me in public, but she always carried some sort of cloth to cover the boob, so she could have some privacy, even though she was in public.
So glad to know you don’t have a problem with breastfeeding in public. So long as you don’t see any boobs, right? 😂 😂 top logic

I personally couldn’t give a tit what people think about me feeding my baby in public. My rule is, if you wouldn’t be offended by me bottle feeding a baby in that situation, then you have no right to think any differently about me getting a boob out. In the words of the moronic Mrs Hinch, if you don’t like it, don’t look at itttt

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding longer term - I only fed mine for a year, but I get the impression lots of women feed a lot longer and just don’t talk about it. It’s quite hard to get a baby off the breast, they just love it. So I can easily see some children want to carry on when they’re 4,5.

However there is a particular type of woman who seems obsessed with childbirth and breastfeeding, often stretching out the brief obsession you have when your own are tiny for many years after their children have grown up- frequently these women train as breastfeeding councillors or hypnobirthing trainers, or something centred around that birth experience. They’ll often enthusiastically longer term feed.

These are the women who you’ll see arguing on mumsnet about weaning and virgin gut theory even though their children are teenagers.
And that is exactly the type of woman who would go to the daily mirror to do a story on breastfeeding her children in the playground 😂

Whilst I’m really grateful that these women use their obsessions to do things like train as a BF counsellor, the other end of the stick is that I do think they can cause anxiety to new mums with the ie hysterical weaning debates
Those sort of mothers are referred to as the o

Those sort of mothers are referred to as the o
Quoting myself as I didn't get a chance to finish typing.

I call those sort of mothers ' the breastapo' .
Breastfeeding into toddler hood, especially at night time is still done by a percentage of families, but privately as these mothers don't brag about it . It’s often the case that the mother wants to stop feeding before the child . It is only the breastapo sort or the earth mothers that people think breastfeed an older baby , when in reality it's mothers that want an easy life as they know it's the easiest way for them to get their baby to sleep.

I also hate the term 'fed is best. I would replace it with 'fed is necessary ' as that applies to a new mother too ( and everyone else)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
The only thing that's ever pissed me off about BF was the other day when I refreshed my IG feed and Keepingkate's post that had a billion photos of her BFing popped up, and it was just really bleeping ostentatious. I love the pride people feel for how long they've managed to breastfeed for, especially when I only managed a week or so when my twins were born, but I think you can share that pride on social media in a better way.

Babies need to eat and we can't control where we are when they need feeding (I've always been rather jealous of the convenience of BF, I must admit!) and mothers need to be comfortable when feeding. I spent the whole time I was breastfeeding totally topless! But I think we can have different opinions on BF in public and posting about it on social media. Whether or not someone posts about it, the baby gets fed. The kind of people, like Kate, who are so brazen about it, do it for reasons other than BF pride.

Reactions: 1