Breast feeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's fine to bottle feed, the vast majority of babies are bottle fed, why else are there aisles of baby milk and bottles in every supermarket.
It reads just like an ad

Reactions: 2
She’s tipped me Over the edge. Her post about bottle feeding, the fed is best crew lapping it up. They do realise the whole thing is an AD
I’m part of the fed is best crew but advertising baby formula is a no (I’m also not a fan of pushy midwives/mums who make any mum who can’t/doesn’t want to breastfeed feel like a failure). In fact I wish all baby mums would keep their kids feeding/nappy schedule off Facebook/insta. Too much over sharing on what should be private moments!

Reactions: 7
I’m part of the fed is best crew but advertising baby formula is a no (I’m also not a fan of pushy midwives/mums who make any mum who can’t/doesn’t want to breastfeed feel like a failure). In fact I wish all baby mums would keep their kids feeding/nappy schedule off Facebook/insta. Too much over sharing on what should be private moments!
Fed is the minimum. Fed is best is the shittest line ever. Anyone can feed their baby how they want- but it’s scientific fact that breast milk is best. Sucked in by advertising bottles they are lapping it up.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Fed is the minimum. Fed is best is the shittest line ever. Anyone can feed their baby how they want- but it’s scientific fact that breast milk is best. Sucked in by advertising bottles they are lapping it up.
Wow! I know exactly the kind of person you are by that comment. Carry on with your Mum shaming. Your attitude is exactly why some Mums suffer from PND. You almost sound like a health visitor who has no compassion.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Wow! I know exactly the kind of person you are by that comment. Carry on with your Mum shaming. Your attitude is exactly why some Mums suffer from PND. You almost sound like a health visitor who has no compassion.
It’s not mum shaming it’s science. As I said people can choose how they feed their babies but that’s what it is- a choice, and it’s not the best one. From your reply I know exactly how you’ve fed and why you are so defensive about it.

• Angry
  • Wow
You’re right, I bottle fed due to a tumour. Does that make me a bad Mum, hell no! I never claimed it wasn’t science. It’s 100% a choice, so why shame a parent for a choice they make? I’m defensive because people like you, go around shaming other parents. I met many Mums like you at baby clubs, mum and toddler groups and antenatal classes. I felt sorry for them because there whole identity was ‘I’m a breast feeding warrior’🤦🏻‍♀️ I bet your child is no healthier than a bottle fed child.
I’ve bottle fed and breast fed but I know which is best. You clearly don’t know anything about the science.

Reactions: 1
I’ve bottle fed and breast fed but I know which is best. You clearly don’t know anything about the science.
Where have I said that I disagree with the science? I am disagreeing with your Mum shaming. The science is there which clearly states that breast feeding is the best way to feed a baby. However, if someone can’t/doesn’t want to breastfeed then surely feeding them is the best option? Or would you prefer that the mother starves the baby? I would also like a link to the scientific paper which states that all breast fed babies are healthier with no health issues compared to bottle fed babies. I’ll wait.......

Reactions: 1
Did you even read what I said? Fed is best is simply not true and that’s a fact. That’s all I have an issue with.

Reactions: 3
I struggled so much with BF at the beginning, poor latch even though I spent extra days in hospital trying to get it right baby would only latch if I was lying down. Get home and I think how can I do this for every feed without being permanently bed-bound or going up and downstairs everytime baby was due feed
I got into a bad habit of only feeding on one boob as it was so tricky to get latched onto other, which lead to awful engorgment

luckily I had a fab midwife visit who suggested I use nipple shields on the non fed boob to get a better latch and really helped me with getting baby to adopt better positions to feed in

Literally saved breastfeeding journey, baby took to it straight away and zero issues switching between nipple and shield

Now 3 months later attempting to introduce expressed milk in bottle which i am seriously regretting leaving til 3 months as I’m getting all out refusal, confusing me as we have no issues with nipple shield so thought baby would take to it but so far no luck 🙁

• Heart
I struggled so much with BF at the beginning, poor latch even though I spent extra days in hospital trying to get it right baby would only latch if I was lying down. Get home and I think how can I do this for every feed without being permanently bed-bound or going up and downstairs everytime baby was due feed
I got into a bad habit of only feeding on one boob as it was so tricky to get latched onto other, which lead to awful engorgment

luckily I had a fab midwife visit who suggested I use nipple shields on the non fed boob to get a better latch and really helped me with getting baby to adopt better positions to feed in

Literally saved breastfeeding journey, baby took to it straight away and zero issues switching between nipple and shield

Now 3 months later attempting to introduce expressed milk in bottle which i am seriously regretting leaving til 3 months as I’m getting all out refusal, confusing me as we have no issues with nipple shield so thought baby would take to it but so far no luck 🙁
It is really, really common for breastfed babies to refuse bottles. Both my girls did (interestingly my son was happy enough). There are lots of suggestions to try, including getting someone else to give baby the bottle rather than you doing it. Also be careful if you are using defrosted expressed milk. Sometimes freezing can cause the milk to taste “soapy”, if your milk has high lipase, which is a common reason a lot of babies refuse.

If you don’t need baby to take a bottle right away, you can try cup feeding instead. Lots of people would use wee shot glasses for that, or a doidy cup.

• Heart
Breast is best vs fed is best just turns my stomach. To me everyone has go feed their babies otherwise they'll die. Its what you do otherwise as a parent that really is important. Are you there for your child as much as you can be enotionally and physically. Are you encouraging their development etc... now to talk about breast feeding solely. I'm glad I've done it. I've loved breast feeding my children and they love it too. Fed my son til 3 and feedingg my 20 month old now too.

• Heart
I always just think of those horrible stories where a woman has been so pressured and had it drilled into her that breast is best that they try to persist against all odds and the poor baby ends up dying from dehydration etc. Read a few articles like that. For that reason alone I think fed is best. By all means try to breast feed (no one is disputing that's it's superior) but formula can be literally life saving too

Has dad or someone tried? Dad managed to get my little one to drink out of one but I tried and nothing, I tried again a week later and after some patience he took to it. Haven’t tried again though, he’s only 9 weeks.

Breastfeeding is so hard, I’ve really struggled and our latch is still not great. Unfortunately the support isn’t there, for me and my area anyway. I’ve literally had no support which is probably why most people give it up.

• Heart
Has dad or someone tried? Dad managed to get my little one to drink out of one but I tried and nothing, I tried again a week later and after some patience he took to it. Haven’t tried again though, he’s only 9 weeks.

Breastfeeding is so hard, I’ve really struggled and our latch is still not great. Unfortunately the support isn’t there, for me and my area anyway. I’ve literally had no support which is probably why most people give it up.
Dads give it a little go, we will try harder on weekend, hard with him working atm as baby tends to be more fractious in evenings when he’s finished work then goes to bed around 9 so only had a few tries

Completely agree about breastfeeding it’s been the hardest thing I’ve done! I remember in the first week at home baby crying cos she was hungry and we couldn’t get the latch right resulting in crying from me- very nearly went to buy bottles/formula there and then

I feel like I went into breastfeeding pretty clueless and wish I’d researched more now, like I had no idea about lactation consultants, looked one up in my area who comes to house for about £250, in the first week I would of gladly paid that (and more!)

I do agree about support for the first few visits I had a few different midwives luckily my first one was amazing as even with the following ones when I mentioned latching etc they didn’t offer much help

Dads give it a little go, we will try harder on weekend, hard with him working atm as baby tends to be more fractious in evenings when he’s finished work then goes to bed around 9 so only had a few tries

Completely agree about breastfeeding it’s been the hardest thing I’ve done! I remember in the first week at home baby crying cos she was hungry and we couldn’t get the latch right resulting in crying from me- very nearly went to buy bottles/formula there and then

I feel like I went into breastfeeding pretty clueless and wish I’d researched more now, like I had no idea about lactation consultants, looked one up in my area who comes to house for about £250, in the first week I would of gladly paid that (and more!)

I do agree about support for the first few visits I had a few different midwives luckily my first one was amazing as even with the following ones when I mentioned latching etc they didn’t offer much help
It’s just easier to pop them on the boob sometimes isn’t it.

I was the same wish I would’ve looked into it more, I knew they’d always be attached but I just thought they’d get on themselves and know what to do 🙈

I paid for one to come out, she was great and he had actually had a tongue tie which I wouldn’t of known about. Even when I phoned the HV asking for help they told me to watch YouTube 😑

It’s just easier to pop them on the boob sometimes isn’t it.

I was the same wish I would’ve looked into it more, I knew they’d always be attached but I just thought they’d get on themselves and know what to do 🙈

I paid for one to come out, she was great and he had actually had a tongue tie which I wouldn’t of known about. Even when I phoned the HV asking for help they told me to watch YouTube 😑
I think part of the reason I wanna combi is nerves about going out when everything reopens like meals out with male family it’s for me thinking erm if baby needs feeding what will I do 🤣 and just feeding in public in general

So good that were able to diagnose tongue tie, shocking of the HV to suggest YouTube 😯

I presume the recent flurry of posts on this thread are to do with kate ferdinand and her blatant advertising for mam this week?

It’s not mum shaming it’s science. As I said people can choose how they feed their babies but that’s what it is- a choice, and it’s not the best one. From your reply I know exactly how you’ve fed and why you are so defensive about it.
I agree with you on that it is accurate to say that breastfeeding is the preferable option ( ie. infants that are breastfed have fewer infections and hospitalisations than formula-fed infants). But your assumption that 'it's a choice' is extremely simplistic. Some people have no choice in the matter for a plethora of reasons (i.e. resuming medication that can be passed on through breast milk, not producing enough milk, mental health issues etc). And by you essentially saying "Yep, you had a choice, and you didn't make the best one", is very inflammatory and accusatory in nature.

Also before you go making any assumptions about me, I don't have any children yet. I don't have a horse in this race.

This is a factual statistic. The average is 7 years because of countries where things are done differently either through nutritional necessity or cultural norms. Whereas we in the West are busy thinking feeding our own babies is disgusting because billion £ formula marketing companies told us so. And its not at all off topic because MH is soon to be playing her part in this saga. Can't wait to see how it unfolds....
The average what is 7? 7 isn’t an average age to breastfeed anywhere, if that’s what you mean

I’m very pro breastfeeding but you *know* BF until 7 isn’t common anywhere