Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How long has Mercedes been tutting at the end of every sentence? I'm listening via headphones and it's really annoying, but haven't noticed it before. Also her make-up in the newest video looks like she's highlighted under her eyes - looks weird.
I only watch her at a higher speed without headphones. So many youtubers do this and it drives me up the wall.

Reactions: 1
How long has Mercedes been tutting at the end of every sentence? I'm listening via headphones and it's really annoying, but haven't noticed it before. Also her make-up in the newest video looks like she's highlighted under her eyes - looks weird.
idk about the tut thing.. as I called it a while ago on here her makeup just baffles me... orange eyeshadow and huge white circles under her eyes... makeup is meant to improve and enhance.. ok i get she may not have the skills but I'm crap at makeup so i mostly don't wear any as theres not a lot of point when it doesnt make me look any better

Reactions: 6
I think it's concealer under the eyes, it's quite common but it doesn't seem to blend well with her foundation. It's probably more visible under the lights for her video than it is in person.

Reactions: 3
I think it's concealer under the eyes, it's quite common but it doesn't seem to blend well with her foundation. It's probably more visible under the lights for her video than it is in person.
the lights would affect it, but surely when she is editing she will have noticed!? Its been in a few videos now so you would think she would learn to apply or something 🤣 I’d rather have dark shadows than a white circle around my eyes

• Haha
Im pretty sure shes always been out as Bi :)
Yeah I think she has but she confirmed she has a girlfriend in her latest video. Maybe that's the situation she was referring to.

I wonder if she realised she's fully gay rather than bi and/or left RG for this woman :unsure: It's pretty quick to get into a new relationship since the breakup of a whole marriage.

Another massive book haul from Simon Savidge..

he's always asking us for content suggestions... here's one I'd like to see.. Simon Savidge says no to publishers and reads from his massive library for a year challenge.

I get that he has to read and review as his job etc but he also does not need to buy himself any more books. If it is an addiction or something to fill a hole perhaps therapy might help

PS I have a lot of the titles he's mentioned including Weyward for 2023.. if anyone wants reviews from someone who actually reads them hmu

Last edited:
I always wonder how much Simon actually reads. It is very convenient for him to be doing so much 'secret reading' for work that he can't tell us about...
I agree - I think a Project Zero would make for a really interesting long term series. I can't, and he can't, keep up with all his series ideas. His channel has become so bitty, and the hauls are becoming obscene. He has got about 10 years worth of books in the room he films in - at least. It is very much style over substance I am afraid!

I always wonder how much Simon actually reads. It is very convenient for him to be doing so much 'secret reading' for work that he can't tell us about...
I agree - I think a Project Zero would make for a really interesting long term series. I can't, and he can't, keep up with all his series ideas. His channel has become so bitty, and the hauls are becoming obscene. He has got about 10 years worth of books in the room he films in - at least. It is very much style over substance I am afraid!
agreed. I finally unsubbed.. I can't watch his sit downs anymore. he rambles far too much and doesn't edit to the extent that its actually draining and exhausting to watch.. which is ironic as I started watching him as a comfort view in the first lockdown

I used to be able to find so many books that I loved through watching his videos but not anymore. The books he currently hauls vs the books he actually reads are so far apart now, that his videos are no longer useful. I couldn't tell you what his reading taste is and if it is still similar to mine because he just hauls anything and everything

Aside from his hauls being completely overwhelming, he also tells us next to nothing about them and says he prefers to go into them knowing nothing??? That's great but you're literally running a booktube channel where your purpose is telling people about the book so maybe think about your audience for a minute? It's just a commercial grab for him now and a way for him to plug his C-list tv shows.

Reactions: 6
I unsubscribed from Simon over a year ago. He said back then that he only read about 45 books a year. I don't have any social media presence related to books and I read much more than that. His content is all smoke and mirrors to self-promote.

I don't understand why anyone would want to give their hard-earned money to a YouTuber. It's like buying a pretend friend who doesn't care about you except that you are paying for some additional content from them as their "friend." It's all so fake since IRL they wouldn't have the time of day for you. Spend your money on yourself and join a free book club.

Yes, Patreon. Obviously, people can do whatever they want with their money and it's none of my business. I just don't get it is all.

Yes, Patreon. Obviously, people can do whatever they want with their money and it's none of my business. I just don't get it is all.
don't look at me I dont get that either.. especially when It is people with jobs and full time income and salaried partners like Jen Campbell and Simon.. you are hardly a starving artist..

I completely get this tbh. During lockdown I subscribed to Leena Norms and Tiffany Ferguson, both on the lowest perk level (think Leena's is about £1.50/month, Tiffany's is about £3 I think?). I unsubbed from Tiffany because the perks were tit - her patreon discord server was dead and the "monthly" livestreams were more like once every two months. I felt like I was being taken the piss out of and although I enjoy her content, the videos I enjoy seeing aren't produced often enough to compensate the lack of perks. Leena I've kept up with and will do for the long term because she produces a lot for it - early access, podcasts and a Facebook group which is really active. I'm def willing to pay the price of a McFlurry per month just for the group tbh.
Not a salesman or promoter for either Patreon or Leena btw - I don't get it either when people have loads of people they sub to and get really invested in paying them money when YT is already monetised - just wanted to tell you what I get out of it as someone who largely agrees with you!

Reactions: 2
I completely get this tbh. During lockdown I subscribed to Leena Norms and Tiffany Ferguson, both on the lowest perk level (think Leena's is about £1.50/month, Tiffany's is about £3 I think?). I unsubbed from Tiffany because the perks were tit - her patreon discord server was dead and the "monthly" livestreams were more like once every two months. I felt like I was being taken the piss out of and although I enjoy her content, the videos I enjoy seeing aren't produced often enough to compensate the lack of perks. Leena I've kept up with and will do for the long term because she produces a lot for it - early access, podcasts and a Facebook group which is really active. I'm def willing to pay the price of a McFlurry per month just for the group tbh.
Not a salesman or promoter for either Patreon or Leena btw - I don't get it either when people have loads of people they sub to and get really invested in paying them money when YT is already monetised - just wanted to tell you what I get out of it as someone who largely agrees with you!
I looked at Leena tbh in order to get access to her wardrobe swop group but what I found with her was a rip off. its not £1.50 a month.. its that every time she creates a video with no flat fee per month option.. if she decided to do vlogmas you'd be up to £25 or 30 quid just for one month

YES YT is monitised but it's not coming out of my personal pocket .. so...

I looked at Leena tbh in order to get access to her wardrobe swop group but what I found with her was a rip off. its not £1.50 a month.. its that every time she creates a video with no flat fee per month option.. if she decided to do vlogmas you'd be up to £25 or 30 quid just for one month

YES YT is monitised but it's not coming out of my personal pocket .. so...
That may have been true when you looked at it but it's not now - you have been able to limit monthly contributions for at least the last year so please don't accuse me of spreading lies. Through checking this to get the screenshot I've also seen the contribution can be as little as £1 rather than £1.50 as I thought.

I'm really not bothered whether anyone subscribes to a creator or not to be honest as the money isn't going into my pocket! Nor am I a massive advocate of Leena in particular and trying to advertise. I just wanted to answer @melindax and give an idea of why I personally sub.

Attachments

Simon also said last year, I think, that he will only open those parcels that are sent in recyclable packaging. Does he think all publishers/PR are watching his videos? I'm sure I've seen him unwrap some that are obviously in bubble wrap. What does he do with those in plastic? Send them back? How rude!

That may have been true when you looked at it but it's not now - you have been able to limit monthly contributions for at least the last year so please don't accuse me of spreading lies. Through checking this to get the screenshot I've also seen the contribution can be as little as £1 rather than £1.50 as I thought.

I'm really not bothered whether anyone subscribes to a creator or not to be honest as the money isn't going into my pocket! Nor am I a massive advocate of Leena in particular and trying to advertise. I just wanted to answer @melindax and give an idea of why I personally sub.
Yep, you can definitely cap Patreon contributions, and I’m pretty certain she didn’t charge per vlogmas, I think she said she’d only charge for her usual number of videos?

But I’m interested what you mean when you say you’re not a massive advocate of Leena but you are a patreon? (That’s not meant in an aggressive way btw! Genuinely curious.)

I think at least Leena and Jen put a lot of effort into their Patreons. I probably mentioned before here but I subbed at some point to Lauren’s lowest tier and she hadnt posted any of the perks for that tier for a long time (eg early access to videos).

Not to make this post huge but talking of Simon and a room of unread books, I do wonder how Mercedes ever got on with culling her collection.. it was something she was doing when I was watching her like…4-5 years ago? and she had a really thorough plan how she was going to do it. No idea how it went though, I unsubbed cause she put so much pressure on herself and was a bit sad to watch.

Yep, you can definitely cap Patreon contributions, and I’m pretty certain she didn’t charge per vlogmas, I think she said she’d only charge for her usual number of videos?

But I’m interested what you mean when you say you’re not a massive advocate of Leena but you are a patreon? (That’s not meant in an aggressive way btw! Genuinely curious.)
Oh I really like her - I maybe picked the wrong word 😂 I just meant I'm not a massive superfan coming on here telling people to support her on Patreon! She's def my favourite YouTuber - she's the only person I've stayed interested in since I started watching YouTube as a teenager. I think she has mostly good videos and some amazing and I like that she's not afraid to call herself out when she's mistaken 😊 I have very different taste in books to her so her recs aren't always great for me, I prefer the lifestyle or political ones. (edit - typo)

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.