Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven’t watched Sanne in years partly because she seemed to be yelling in every video (you don’t have to project your voice that loudly if you have a microphone) and also because her interest in books were so surface level and seemed to be reliant on 2 things - the cover is pretty or a movie adaptation has been made/being made.
and yet she tried to shill a book journal. I'd never even heard of her til I found it in TK Maxx once

Reactions: 1
Has anyone got any booktuber recommendations of people who read philosophy? I am dipping into it at the minute, and would love to watch some booktubers who have read some... a lot of the ones that pop up seem to be dudebro-types who binge read 20 self-help books, and that's not strictly what I'm looking for at the minute

Has anyone got any booktuber recommendations of people who read philosophy? I am dipping into it at the minute, and would love to watch some booktubers who have read some... a lot of the ones that pop up seem to be dudebro-types who binge read 20 self-help books, and that's not strictly what I'm looking for at the minute
I know Emma Angeline has read some philosophy books in the past. She’s the only one I can think of.

Reactions: 2
i'm kinda new to her but bibliosophie is an academic.. seems like she might

Dakota Warren does but she's kind of become unbearable so watch at your own risk

Oh why do I keep watching GK Reads? The way she keeps saying YAH instead of year REALLY gets on my wick.

There's a thread on here Things You Are sick of seeing on social media... i kinda want to do a book tube version..

I cannot wait to see what people make of the new Akwake Emezi... i had the arc of that and I found it unncessarily crude and badly written.. like Queenie only worse... ironically she's reading the new Candice Carty Williams too .. they are very trendy so I doubt anyone will call them out for being poor and lacklustre

Oh why do I keep watching GK Reads? The way she keeps saying YAH instead of year REALLY gets on my wick.

There's a thread on here Things You Are sick of seeing on social media... i kinda want to do a book tube version..

I cannot wait to see what people make of the new Akwake Emezi... i had the arc of that and I found it unncessarily crude and badly written.. like Queenie only worse... ironically she's reading the new Candice Carty Williams too .. they are very trendy so I doubt anyone will call them out for being poor and lacklustre
She has got such an affected accent but her Geordie roots always betray her. That being said, I do actually really like her taste in books so I too will be interested to see what her take is on some of these new releases. In fact, I am intrigued to see how a lot of booktubers react to some of these books, and I also wonder how some of these new releases will stand the test of time too

Also, I had no idea that Gabby Reads was a full time YouTuber. Genuinely had no idea that BookTube was that lucrative? I just assumed it would only be viable for more lifestyle/fashion/vlog type channels?

Simon Savidge sitting in front of several bookshelves of titles he hasn't touched since purchasing

June Book Haul | It’s Another Big One | 2022

I just can't...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Simone De Beau Vee ayyy :sneaky: :rolleyes:🤣

Simon Savidge sitting in front of several bookshelves of titles he hasn't touched since purchasing

June Book Haul | It’s Another Big One | 2022

I just can't...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Simone De Beau Vee ayyy :sneaky: :rolleyes:🤣
oh no 🤦‍♀️
A lot of the books on those shelves are gifted books, too. which I find really rude to just ignore them for years.

oh no 🤦‍♀️
A lot of the books on those shelves are gifted books, too. which I find really rude to just ignore them for years.
i swear to god not 1 but TWO MASSIVE piles. most of which he's excited for but knows nothing about etc etc etc

its very rude .. publishers have sent him them to review... i felt bad when I couldn't review one on Netgalley because it was a faulty file

Ned Bee eww man.. Bowman, it's prounced Bowman.. zzz Simon this is sloppy . It's your job

I cant watch anymore its just exhausting to try to follow and I've already had a horrendous video job interview today which gave me a massive migraine

Ned Bee eww man.. Bowman, it's prounced Bowman.. zzz Simon this is sloppy . It's your job
Take a shot every time he mispronounces an authors name.. it's verging on the insulting..22 mins into a 38 min video and we are onto books he bought that he can't even say the authors name correctly

Last edited:
Take a shot every time he mispronounces an authors name.. it's verging on the insulting..22 mins into a 38 min video and we are onto books he bought that he can't even say the authors name correctly
Take a shot every time he says "I don't know much about it. I'm going in blind."

Well, Simon, it would be good if you could try to sell it to us, as that's what publishers want you to do! Also, you're not going in anywhere, anytime soon. It'll still be on your shelves six years down the line

:mad:

• Haha
To what extent to publishers have a responsibility to not keep sending out books to folk who aren’t going to read them? Or is the fact that they get shouted out on a channel all they wanted?

Reactions: 4
To what extent to publishers have a responsibility to not keep sending out books to folk who aren’t going to read them? Or is the fact that they get shouted out on a channel all they wanted?
I've long since suspected that was the case, I think if viewers are constantly exposed to a name and a brief blurb, publishers see that as 'good enough'. Probably better than the booktuber reading it and giving a negative review.

The only Emezi I've read was Vivek Oji and I thought it was extremely overhyped. Couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters and I couldn't understand some of the plot choices. I was still going to pick up another of their books because booktubers keep hyping them. But I think I'm over it. Also after reading reviews of their memoir, I feel like Emezi might just be a little unhinged... It does feel like they are one of those authors that people are afraid to criticize.

Mercedes said in a video years ago that even if a booktuber just holds the book up once, that's already advertising that's worth more than the cost of production. That's why they keep doing it, even if the books are never read, they are shown in a video and that's enough. Of course a thoughtful review might entice more buyers in the long run, but they're going for the absolute minimum.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Dakota Warren does but she's kind of become unbearable so watch at your own risk
God she is unbearable, isn't she?! I thought it was just me lol. What little I've seen of her she comes across very pretentious without reading anything obscure in the slightest. She gives off - 'Oh, I'm just reading this really obscure author... you've probably not even heard of him.... he's sort of unknown, but I did an English literature degree... yeah, his name is Oscar Wilde.' - vibes.

When she recommended 'Crime and Punishment' as a book to read to 'be pretentious but in an impress your English teacher kind of way' I thought she was having a laugh. Why would an English teacher be impressed by such a basic commonly read, well-known classic? Next she'll say read Pride and Prejudice to impress people and be ~tres pretentious tee hee~

And she's constantly recommending Camus, The Stranger. That dogshit book... Does she think it makes her look smart or something? lol.

Reactions: 6
God she is unbearable, isn't she?! I thought it was just me lol. What little I've seen of her she comes across very pretentious without reading anything obscure in the slightest. She gives off - 'Oh, I'm just reading this really obscure author... you've probably not even heard of him.... he's sort of unknown, but I did an English literature degree... yeah, his name is Oscar Wilde.' - vibes.

When she recommended 'Crime and Punishment' as a book to read to 'be pretentious but in an impress your English teacher kind of way' I thought she was having a laugh. Why would an English teacher be impressed by such a basic commonly read, well-known classic? Next she'll say read Pride and Prejudice to impress people and be ~tres pretentious tee hee~

And she's constantly recommending Camus, The Stranger. That dogshit book... Does she think it makes her look smart or something? lol.
I wonder if she even genuinely enjoys those books? Does she actually read them? Is she committed to her aesthetic even when the camera is off and won’t let herself touch anything that’s not a classic? Or does she obsessively read romance and YA when nobody’s looking? So many questions!

(Disclaimer: I haven’t watched a single video of hers because I could only manage like three minutes. BUT I’ve looked around her website and overall I just find it fascinating how contrived her persona is because it’s gotta be EXHAUSTING.)

Reactions: 3
Dakotas new video has reached new levels of pretention and I only managed 3 minutes of it, we'd all love to flee to Paris when we were burnt out but people have jobs or school, responsibilities and don't have the financial freedom to go on holiday and extend their stay, she's so out of touch why does this happen to every youtuber once they start doing it full time? I do wonder where a lot of her money has come from she's only being doing social media full time 6 months at most and she's managed to move to London and has regular trips to Paris??

• Heart
Is EVERY video of Hailey from Bookland an ad or sponsor? I can understand now and then but it seems a lot.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.