Books #8 Reading chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've also had a fair few recently that went from being absolutely awful to 4/5 star reads by the end:

- Animal, Lisa Taddao
- The Bone Clocks
- The Terror
- A Scanner Darkly

However some books that I persevered with despite feeling 'I don't think I like this', but DIDN'T get any better for me were:

- Ingenious Pain, Andrew Miller
- Milkman, Anna Burns
- Second Place, Rachel Cusk
- Mr Penumbras 24 hour bookstore
- Finch, Jeff Vandermeer
- Ponti, Sharlene Teo
- Snow, John Banville
- Into the Sound, Cara Reinard

Reactions: 3
Life's too short to plough through a book I'm not enjoying. I ended up skimming through The Heart's Invisible Furies and still resent the time I wasted even skimming. If a book doesn't grab me in the first 2/3 chapters, I'm out.

Just finished the Carla Kovach book I was reading and realised that I've read book 10 before 8 and 9 😏. Need to read them both now so I can read book 11 and put that series to bed.

Reactions: 1
I've also had a fair few recently that went from being absolutely awful to 4/5 star reads by the end:

- Animal, Lisa Taddao
- The Bone Clocks
- The Terror
- A Scanner Darkly

However some books that I persevered with despite feeling 'I don't think I like this', but DIDN'T get any better for me were:

- Ingenious Pain, Andrew Miller
- Milkman, Anna Burns
- Second Place, Rachel Cusk
- Mr Penumbras 24 hour bookstore
- Finch, Jeff Vandermeer
- Ponti, Sharlene Teo
- Snow, John Banville
- Into the Sound, Cara Reinard

I couldnt manage Milkman. Its the only book Ive completely given up on in years. I did about 30% and it was horrific. I cant understand how it won prizes.

Animal I really didn't like but I did read it all. It wasnt slow for me. I ploughed through it but it was very odd. I loved Lis Taddeos Three Women too, which is a shame.

Reactions: 1
Hellooo! Took a bit of a break from the internet lately, but I'm back to say that I finished 'at the existentialist cafe' by Sarah Bakewell and 'the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house' by Audre Lorde and both were exquisite 🥰
I'm reading 'everything I know about love' by Dolly Alderton now which I'm flying through and makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

Have to say though lately I feel a bit out of place in this book thread, because I feel like you all talk about the same type of books and I'm always talking about different ones 🙃 hope that's okay and I'm not boring all of you lol

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Hellooo! Took a bit of a break from the internet lately, but I'm back to say that I finished 'at the existentialist cafe' by Sarah Bakewell and 'the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house' by Audre Lorde and both were exquisite 🥰
I'm reading 'everything I know about love' by Dolly Alderton now which I'm flying through and makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

Have to say though lately I feel a bit out of place in this book thread, because I feel like you all talk about the same type of books and I'm always talking about different ones 🙃 hope that's okay and I'm not boring all of you lol
Never feel out of place 🥰 we all like different things.

I listened to Everything I Know About Love last year. Did you know its being made into a tv show by the BBC I think?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.