Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It looked like a really wholesome plot idea, and I run myself, so I'm keen to start it!

Currently reading The Spanish Love Deception on Kindle; described as a "poor man's The Hating Game" (which I've yet to read) - I love the concept but it just doesn't feel well-written to me?
It took me a while to get into The Spanish Love Deception but I ended up really liking it. I was the same with The Hating Game …I’ve definitely got a type when it comes to books 😂

Reactions: 1
Followed you ladies advise and finished The Push last night and started Girl A. Any recommendations for the next one?

What book made a lasting impact on you? Mine - Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

I just finished The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish and was pleasantly surprised as I quite enjoyed it. I tried Our House by the same author and couldn't get into it so didn't have much hope for this one but made it to the end this time!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Just started The Appeal by Janice Hallett, didn’t realise it was all in email/text format.. not sure if I like that yet but the story seems good so far. Hope it doesn’t become a bit of a chore trying to understand what’s going on 😒

Reactions: 4
Just started where the crawdads sing…. Feel like it’s one of the most hyped books over the last 18 months

Reactions: 11
It took me a few chapters to get into the crawdads and I was also thinking it was over hyped. I really enjoyed it by the end though

Reactions: 3
I read The Push by Claire McGowan and, despite being overwhelmed with characters in the beginning, it's a gripping book. Also read the other Push and still get chills thinking of that child.

I just finished The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish and was pleasantly surprised as I quite enjoyed it. I tried Our House by the same author and couldn't get into it so didn't have much hope for this one but made it to the end this time!
Apparently Our House is going to be turned into an ITV drama so be interesting to see if the tv show is better. I read it back in 2018 and rated it 4/5 but I can’t remember much!

The Skylight is a short story also by Louise Candlish and was a nice easy read.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just started where the crawdads sing…. Feel like it’s one of the most hyped books over the last 18 months
It took me a little while to get into it, but I absolutely loved this book. One of my faves, I felt so immersed in the story. I was dreaming I was in the marsh for weeks 😂

Reactions: 6
I'm quite tempted to try and get into Dune, before the upcoming movie adaptation with Timothée Chalamet in a couple months... Not sure when to get it in, but I would love it if anyone who has read it can let me know if they liked it, and if it's really hard to get into (and if it was, if there's good pay-off)!

I usually like sci-fi-y things (or at least did growing up), but it's been a little while since I've picked up any proper sci-fi, and I want to change that!

Last edited:
Just started The Appeal by Janice Hallett, didn’t realise it was all in email/text format.. not sure if I like that yet but the story seems good so far. Hope it doesn’t become a bit of a chore trying to understand what’s going on 😒
Been reading non stop! Nearly finished it. Very good book. Quite easy to follow considering the format. Definitely not a ‘funny’ book as a lot of the celeb reviews on the cover say it is. More of a ‘solve it yourself’ mystery.

Taking a lot of concentration though, and there are over 80 different characters throughout the book so I wouldn’t read it over a few weeks as you’d constantly be going back to see who’s who/what’s what 🤣🤷‍♀️

It took me a few chapters to get into the crawdads and I was also thinking it was over hyped. I really enjoyed it by the end though
I liked it once I got into it but it was so so hyped I can see why people would be disappointed.
I think Reese Witherspoon is making it into a film

I liked it once I got into it but it was so so hyped I can see why people would be disappointed.
I think Reese Witherspoon is making it into a film
I thought it was a brilliant story, and beautifully written.
Yeah, it's coming out next year apparently. I'm disappointed they cast Daisy Edgar-Jones as Maya though.

Reactions: 2
Reading loads whilst away didn't work out 😂 So I've finished Constance today. I know it was a few people's picks this month so my thoughts are below.

I think it was an interesting premise. Felt very fresh and unique. I liked a few of the twists but some I felt were pointless. It was a good book and I am glad I read it. But won't be one that stays with me forever. I liked Con as a character and thought it was well written. I would probably read the second book due in 2022 if it was cheap enough.
Totally agree with Constance. I loved the character and enjoyed seeing her work out her new life but it did feel twisty for the sake of twisting at times. I’ll definitely look out for the 2nd one but won’t be rushing to spend a fortune on it if you see what I mean.

I thought it was a brilliant story, and beautifully written.
Yeah, it's coming out next year apparently. I'm disappointed they cast Daisy Edgar-Jones as Maya though.
I haven’t looked at the cast so will have a google.
I think it would work well as a film.
I did enjoy the book and think I gave it 4/5 but it has been really overhyped.

Followed you ladies advise and finished The Push last night and started Girl A. Any recommendations for the next one?

What book made a lasting impact on you? Mine - Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini

An IG account I like (Clumsy Words) really didn't like Crawdads so I haven't picked it up! I think all the hype has also put me off. All I needed was to see one person not like it and I was all 'Yup, great, I don't need to read!'

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.