Books #29

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Brightlycolouredbowels
Re your message concerning my message
"Anyone read Once Upon A River by Diane Setterfield?
I've had it recommended."

@Chocolategoggler they only had that 1 online and I wasn’t prepared to muck around for 1 book, particularly as I had no control over whether it would come to me slightly scuffed or not

I've already cracked and reserved it at the library. It's coming in and it seems I'm first in the queue!

Reactions: 4
Thanks for the new thread @nbt !

I finished The Little Book of Skincare by Charlotte Cho. Interesting book about korean skincare but also the culture and life in Korea/Seoul. Made me hungry for some good korean food lol. Nothing revolutionary but good if you want to dip your toe into the skincare world and get a 'simple' skincare routine spell out for you. Very cute too.

I'm now reading The Civil War in France by Karl Marx. Curious to read it as it informed the historiography of Paris Commune for a long time and lots of people love it. It's weirdly impossible to find it in print in France (at least not on Amazon or at the independant book store) but it's free online (guess Karl would have loved that lol).

• Heart
Reactions: 7
OK so I saw lots of you raving about John Marrs and downloaded "The One"...

I'm 25% in and really enjoying it BUT the chapters focused on Christopher are too much for me, I'm a real wimp and I can't read it past midday or I won't sleep , can I skip his chapters or do I need them???
You won't lose anything by skipping it, but there is an arc to it. Its one of the better stories!

<reply to this in prev thread @Cheddar Chalpupa >>>

So does it scarier/ any worse than [ISPOILER] the first woman who fights back[/ISPOILER] early on in the book?? Should I just be brave do you think because its otherwise got me really gripped

Reactions: 1
I just found a tiny squashed fly in my charity shop book. I have no more to say on the subject. 😭

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
I’ve just started Devil’s Breath by Jill Johnson. I was sucked in by the cover but enjoying it so far, let’s hope it gets me out of my slump! Has anyone else read it?
IMG_8754.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Been in such a reading slump but managed to finish Funny Story by Emily Henry today. Enjoyed it but defiantly not my favourite. Would place it above people we meet on vacation but below her others. Didn't grab me like a lot of her other books.

Reactions: 6
I’ve just started Devil’s Breath by Jill Johnson. I was sucked in by the cover but enjoying it so far, let’s hope it gets me out of my slump! Has anyone else read it?
View attachment 2945625
No but it is close to the top of my tbr. So I am curious to hear what you think of it.

I devoured this today. Which I also only picked up because of the cover....

Screenshot_20240519_200229_Amazon Shopping.jpg

it was fun, a little bit magical and a cute storyline.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 12
No but it is close to the top of my tbr. So I am curious to hear what you think of it.

I devoured this today. Which I also only picked up because of the cover....

View attachment 2945931

it was fun, a little bit magical and a cute storyline.
Oh! You've just jogged my memory. I think the person who recommended Once Upon A River by Diane Setterfield also recommended the book above. 🤔

Reactions: 3
I’ve given The Family Experiment 4/5.

I think dystopian/speculative fiction is fast becoming my favourite genre. I really enjoyed this book, the nods to other books, the way the chapters were split into age sections and I agree with @Katykatykaty that we HAVE to see The Passengers TV show in a book one day.

The reason I didn’t give full marks is because it lost me a little towards the end. Hudson’s storyline was the one I was least interested in which didn’t bode well for me personally when everything tied together. I’m kind of annoyed with myself for not showing more interest in him from the beginning 😂

I did enjoy reading each of the characters backstories on the whole though. I’d almost like to explore more about them in separate mini stories actually, particularly Woody/Tina and Izzy.

Reactions: 7
Just finished Seventeen. Thought it was brilliant.

Wow. I couldn’t stop listening. It feels wrong to say I enjoyed it.. but I did, it was complelling and I can’t believe she seemingly got away with it? I thought the ending would be Joe going off to university and escaping from Ali, I nearly fell over when he said he had only just left her 17 years on! I wonder what the real Miss P is doing now. I have so many questions so I really hope he writes more!

I’ve just bought Weyward (impulsively) as I saw it was on offer on audible for £2.99. Couldn’t resist.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
OK so I saw lots of you raving about John Marrs and downloaded "The One"...

I'm 25% in and really enjoying it BUT the chapters focused on Christopher are too much for me, I'm a real wimp and I can't read it past midday or I won't sleep , can I skip his chapters or do I need them???
You won't lose anything by skipping it, but there is an arc to it. Its one of the better stories!

<reply to this in prev thread @Cheddar Chalpupa >>>

So does it scarier/ any worse than [ISPOILER] the first woman who fights back[/ISPOILER] early on in the book?? Should I just be brave do you think because its otherwise got me really gripped
Yeah it does get worse. Probably best to skip, you can always go back another time when you're feeling braver, it's almost like a standalone story.

I could be reading any number of books on my tbr but I’m rereading the ACOTAR series instead 😆 Currently on Wings & Ruin, cannot stand Elain and the dialogue is so damn cringey… and yet I LOVEEEEEE it

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I could be reading any number of books on my tbr but I’m rereading the ACOTAR series instead 😆 Currently on Wings & Ruin, cannot stand Elain and the dialogue is so damn cringey… and yet I LOVEEEEEE it
bloody elain and her wandering around looking delicate and lovely like a flower 🤣 nesta is the MVP of that series!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I'm trying to make headway with Yellowface, I think it's quite hard to properly get into, even though I think the author is a decent writer! Anyway, omg I cannot stand June! Lots of things she says (writes?) make me physically cringe.

Reactions: 10
I'm trying to make headway with Yellowface, I think it's quite hard to properly get into, even though I think the author is a decent writer! Anyway, omg I cannot stand June! Lots of things she says (writes?) make me physically cringe.
June is the worst but I think that’s the point, she’s supposed to be v problematic!

Reactions: 12
june is awful but she’s such a brilliant creation - her deeply internalised racism (and how that kept revealing itself while she was trying to convince herself she was a good person) was so cleverly done.

i liked yellowface a lot but it did (for me) start falling apart in the final third.
---
Maybe she'll miraculously redeem herself in the next book but doubt it 🤣
if she continues being awful to lucien then i will not be responsible for my actions 🤣 she doesn’t deserve him OR azriel they should be with me

• Haha
Reactions: 14