Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Thatgirl22

VIP Member
My 11 year old niece asked for books for Christmas. She makes me so proud 🥹 She reads at a year 9 level and wanted the twilight books so I got her the series and also a special edition of A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, which I hope she will also love. She is so much like me 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 17

cherrymoon

Chatty Member
Happy Christmas fellow book worms! ❤

Mr moon got me some book vouchers and a sweatshirt that says “bookworm” 🥰

• Heart

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
My husband asked what I wanted from his family members for Xmas. Apparently I can't have Amazon gift cards from *all* of them although I don't understand why not.

• Haha

cill2019

VIP Member
I know I’m super late to the party but I’ve just finished listening to Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine and oh my what a book 😭😭😭💔 I’ve had this on the shelf for ages and picked it up and put it down numerous times. I decided to give it a listen instead and loved it. Made me laugh and cry in equal measure. Really really enjoyed it. I’m hoping there will be more from the author

• Heart

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I said to myself I wouldn’t buy more books this year unless it was one I really wanted to read. Fell into The Works and picked up 4 books 🤦‍♀️ 🆘

• Haha

nbt

VIP Member
I’ve been meaning to post this and now seems a good time. A-Z, then number, one word, colour and animal.

Really enjoyed doing it and enjoyed so many of the reads too.

235CEE9C-174C-4580-8A68-8E2C035496E3.jpeg

• Heart

Thatgirl22

VIP Member
I think reading should be for fun and definitely for escapism. It’s not about numbers for me.
If I read a really good book I’ll often slow down because I don’t want it to end and then I’ll give it 24hr before starting a new book unless it’s the next one in a series.

QueenBW

VIP Member
What do you think about crazy numbers eg. 300+?
I saw someone on Goodreads had read 390 last year! I know some people can speed read but seems crazy to sustain reading over a book a day for an entire year?!
I know it's doable and like Caffeine said for some their lifestyle might be conducive to it but I feel like if you're reading 300+ books a year, are you actually retaining stuff?

My "best" reading year in terms of number was 2020 with 175 and I felt like that was good because I spent most of that year at home, and I actually had time to read those books in a leisurely manner. If I tried to read 175 now, I'd probably end up not remembering half. So what's the point? Are we reading for enjoyment or just for consumerism?

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all.

● Meh sums it up tbh. Managed about 90 books but barely any stand outs and even looking back the books I gave 5 stars to, Im now looking and in hindsight they just dont feel like 5 star reads? I think I probably read them after some poor books so I rated them higher? However one thing I am over the moon about is my physical books read. Lots more than last year. I got myself a proper reading light and it makes such a difference. Im old now and cant read a physical book in poor light 😅

What was your favourite read of 2023?

● Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. There is nothing outstanding about this novel but it gave me all the feel good inside. It is well written and so cosy. Its not one Id have said at the start of the year would be number 1 for me, but it was. For reference my favourite books in 2022 and 2021 were A Woman Is No Man by Etaf Rum and Beartown by Fredrik Backman so its a really different direction for me.

Any other books worth a mention?

● Ordinary Human Failings by Megan Nolan this was stark and bleak and I think I described it as 'if concrete was a book' 😅🙈 Closer to Home by Michael Magee, Before My Actual Heart Breaks by Tish Delaney,

What was your least favourite read of 2023?

● Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney. Plot done to death and the twist was crap imo. What Happens in Dubai by Sophie Gravia. Dont even know why I read this as I didnt much like Glasgow Kiss. Will definitely not be reading the third.

What book exceeded your expectation?

● Cleopatra and Frankenstein by Coco Mellors. Adored it, cant wait for her new book. Special shout out to Fleishman is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be?

● I hate to say this but Juno Loves Legs by Karl Geary, the book was great but Id built it up in my head so much that I thought it would be brilliant and it wasnt.

Favourite non fiction book of the year?

● I enjoyed Pamela Andersons auto biography. It was really quite interesting and she comes across like such a sweet lovely woman. I also liked Sedated: How Modern Capitalism Created our Mental Health Crisis.

Do you have any book goals for 2024?

● Not really, get another book case to store my physical books, be more intentional with my reading and as always try and buy less. I always joke about worrying I'll die suddenly and have so many books on my TBR that I havent read. I wouldnt mind reading less next year if the books I did read were excellent. I do read alot of romances though which will never be excellent 🙈 but I enjoy them.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

cill2019

VIP Member
Lost the last thread 😔 🙋🏻‍♀️
Little roundup from me. Very into audiobooks at the moment.
Listened to Prophet Song this week. When I say I was broken 💔 outstanding book. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. The anxiety it gave me 😩 the constant feeling that something awful was round the corner and 9/10 it happened. I sobbed tidying the kitchen listening to the last chapter. 5⭐

Also listened to Trespasses by Louise Kennedy. I have this in physical copy but just couldn’t get on with it. The lack of punctuation was infuriating. I decided to give it a go on audiobooks. I DEVOURED it in 2 days. Amazing book. 5⭐

My favourite book recently has been The House in the Cerulean Sea. Again on audiobook and honestly it is the BEST book I have ever read and I will die on that hill. The narration was outstanding, the characters were adorable, the story was beautifully told. I know there has been controversy surrounding the book BUT what I took from it was everyone deserves love ❤ I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with a six year old devil 😍 I am going to buy the physical copy to have on my shelf and I will 100% listen again 5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Heart

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
I went Christmas shopping today, quite successfully.

Thought i'd pop in to Waterstones. Not for anything. Just a nice little mooch while I was out.

1000004803.jpg

£86 later.

1000004804.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart

Elle

VIP Member
Guys, the drama...

Currently reading The Happy Couple by Naoise Dolan (love it, do read it).

We have a puppy....said puppy has ripped out a couple of the front pages and spilt a drink on the book. Two separate offences might I add.

This would be bad enough but the real issue is that this is a LIBRARY BOOK.

Pray for me and please, book Gods, forgive this sacrilege.

It reeks of 'my dog ate my homework'. They're gonna think I'm a disrespectful book hater 😢.

• Haha

Thatgirl22

VIP Member
From what I have seen she hasn't even started the first draft yet. So I think we have at least a year to wait 😭
Gutted! We got IF so quickly, lulled us into a false sense of security 😭🤣
---
Guys I just hit my 2023 Goodreads reading goal of 75 books 🥂🥳

• Heart

make-mine-whiskey

VIP Member
I've had a great year of reading! I read 32 last year and this year I've read 79/52 goal, and currently on my 80th! Good round number to finish the year on!
---
OMG OMG OMG, I pre ordered the Waterstones special edition of Ruthless Vows and just got an email to say it's been shipped and will be here tomorrow even though it's release date is the 26/12! Merry Christmas to me lol

• Heart
  • Wow

nbt

VIP Member
Lads, I’ve created us a Christmas readathon thread for anyone who fancies it…

• Heart

Booklover

VIP Member
I've been really out of sorts lately with my reading, not been well, work manic and just struggling a bit, but finally finished Really Good Actually, which Goodreads tells me I started on 13th November!! I liked it, it just didn't have that 'going to bed early to read' vibe! However, I've started Good Material by Dolly Alderton today, and it's right up my street and am loving it so far. Loved Ghosts, so not surprised I'm straight into it.
Still very much into this thread, and have been keeping up with what everyone's reading or read this year. 🥰 Merry Christmas to all my fellow booklovers.

• Heart