Books #23 Reading Chats. Unproblematically Pleased With Our TBR Piles

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
None of this is True is £1.99 on the daily deals today. It’s been rated highly by myself and others here, if anyone was hoping to read it.

Also, can someone clarify which “The List” people have read recently as I have Yomi Adegoke’s on my reserve list but I’ve just seen @cherrymoon read a different one 👀

This happened with me and The Push the other year too 😅
I read Yomi Adegoke's

Reactions: 2
None of this is True is £1.99 on the daily deals today. It’s been rated highly by myself and others here, if anyone was hoping to read it.

Also, can someone clarify which “The List” people have read recently as I have Yomi Adegoke’s on my reserve list but I’ve just seen @cherrymoon read a different one 👀

I’m definitely going to buy none of this is true, bargain for a newish release! I read Yomi Adegoke’s 😊

Reactions: 4
I got None Of This Is True with an audible credit. Quite excited to listen to it. Heard the audiobook is good.

I forgot to cancel Audible again so now have 3 credits I need rid of. I am contemplating getting Fourth Wing and Iron Flame with them but the books are so pretty for the shelf. Decisions decisions.

Not even my type of book but its so highly rated.

Reactions: 5

Wish we got the same daily deals in Aus 🤪😂 we get such crappy ones. I have the audio on Spotify but patiently waiting for the price to drop!

IMG_2266.jpeg

Reactions: 1
I ended up listening to NOTIT (🤭) on BorrowBox and it was worth the wait. The audio was great too and I’ve borrowed a couple of others that Nicola Walker narrates.

I’ve got Fourth Wing reserved at the library, no idea how long I’ll be waiting. It’s also not my type of book at all, but someone I know said that and she’s really raved about it so I’m hoping I’ll enjoy it too.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I got None Of This Is True with an audible credit. Quite excited to listen to it. Heard the audiobook is good.

I forgot to cancel Audible again so now have 3 credits I need rid of. I am contemplating getting Fourth Wing and Iron Flame with them but the books are so pretty for the shelf. Decisions decisions.

None of this is true is definitely worth listening to as audiobook as it is based around a podcast. Brings it all to life a bit more.

I did however find a few bits of audio quite quiet e.g. where a conversation was happening between two people either covertly recorded or podcast exerts, one half was whispered I had to keep turning the volume up, but then it was too loud for the other half of the conversation. However i do listen while driving so have road/engine noise to contend with so it might be less obvious if listening while cleaning/walking etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Totally missed the new thread, as always, but have caught up yesterday/this morning. Actually had quite a good end to the month, read the new Richard Osman and preferred it to the last couple but pretty average. Could have been edited down a bit I think, but was quite nice to curl up and read on a rainy Saturday. I also read Sarah Millican's How to be Champion which was a 99p deal a while back I think, actually really enjoyed it v light reading but quite open and honest for an autobiography. I also read The Pumpkin Spice Cafe which was all I wanted it to be and needed in terms of a really light chick lit book, not great writing but a very easy read so thanks for the recommendations for that 😊

I've also nearly finished Really Good Actually on audiobook which I have quite enjoyed although I just find Maggie a bit annoying. It's been good for listening to while walking the dog though.

I really enjoyed seeing people's top 5s - loved that Project Hail Mary featured in a few as I've got that on my TBR so that will have to be bumped up the list I think, I really enjoyed the Martian last year.

Top 5 for me so far this year is tricky to choose but based on my 5*s on Goodreads and ones that I actually remember would have to be:
- Invisible Women - Caroline Criada Perez
- Taste - Stanley Tucci
- Lessons in Chemistry - Bonnie Garmus
- Unlawful Killings - QC Wendy Joseph
- After I Do - Taylor Jenkins Reid

In terms of ones I want to read probably - Project Hail Mary; the new Steve Cavenagh (kill for me or something like that); and Paige Toon Only Love Can Hurt Like This. But that's just based on a scan of my unread on kindle and the Steve Cavenagh is on my bookshelf as my mum passed it on when I was last home.

Overall on 99/120 on Goodreads, so 1 behind target but pretty much on track. I reckon I should make it though hopefully!

Also Fourth Wing on audible is pretty good @Caffeine Fiend and not my kind of book either. Good value for credit too as its quite long. I've also got a couple of credits so might listen to NOTIT next.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Totally missed the new thread, as always, but have caught up yesterday/this morning. Actually had quite a good end to the month, read the new Richard Osman and preferred it to the last couple but pretty average. Could have been edited down a bit I think, but was quite nice to curl up and read on a rainy Saturday. I also read Sarah Millican's How to be Champion which was a 99p deal a while back I think, actually really enjoyed it v light reading but quite open and honest for an autobiography. I also read The Pumpkin Spice Cafe which was all I wanted it to be and needed in terms of a really light chick lit book, not great writing but a very easy read so thanks for the recommendations for that 😊

I've also nearly finished Really Good Actually on audiobook which I have quite enjoyed although I just find Maggie a bit annoying. It's been good for listening to while walking the dog though.

I really enjoyed seeing people's top 5s - loved that Project Hail Mary featured in a few as I've got that on my TBR so that will have to be bumped up the list I think, I really enjoyed the Martian last year.

Top 5 for me so far this year is tricky to choose but based on my 5*s on Goodreads and ones that I actually remember would have to be:
- Invisible Women - Caroline Criada Perez
- Taste - Stanley Tucci
- Lessons in Chemistry - Bonnie Garmus
- Unlawful Killings - QC Wendy Joseph
- After I Do - Taylor Jenkins Reid

In terms of ones I want to read probably - Project Hail Mary; the new Steve Cavenagh (kill for me or something like that); and Paige Toon Only Love Can Hurt Like This. But that's just based on a scan of my unread on kindle and the Steve Cavenagh is on my bookshelf as my mum passed it on when I was last home.

Overall on 99/120 on Goodreads, so 1 behind target but pretty much on track. I reckon I should make it though hopefully!

Also Fourth Wing on audible is pretty good @Caffeine Fiend and not my kind of book either. Good value for credit too as its quite long. I've also got a couple of credits so might listen to NOTIT next.
99 books is amazing - you can definitely make that 120 👏🏻👏🏻

i bought really good actually the other week after some posts here and reading the first few chapters in the waterstones cafe 🤣 based purely on the opening pages i found it really funny (and am excited to read it) but i also agree with you that it’s a lead character who probably is gonna get annoying after a hundred pages or so!

speaking of annoying lead characters, finished every summer after last night and it’s a shaky 3 stars for me. maybe more like a 2.6 or something. i really wish that the big event hadn’t been quite that level of a betrayal, it soured the whole rest of the book for me.

• Heart
Found the new(ish) thread! Sorry, it's been manic with work lately - we're going through a complete rebrand and it's sapping my downtime!

I read Really Good, Actually but Maggie irritated me with how she was with her friends more than anything. I've been where she is and I identified with the spiralling but at the same time I was shaking my head at her. Lots of people have criticised the author for making Maggie so irritating but I kind of think that was the point, and that I'm sure a lot of people spiral really bad after a rejection like she faced.

I read Women and Power by Mary Beard which is a v short manifesto book based on talks she gave in 2017, and how historically (going back to ancient times) women have been silenced. Was a quick and interesting read, especially her historical knowledge - I've got SPQR by her but haven't yet delved into it - I love history (particularly medieval and victorian) but ancient history often fries my brain :ROFLMAO: I also read The Skeleton Key which I really enjoyed, a bit far fetched in a lot of ways but I really liked the way Erin Kelly wrote.

Currently reading The Woman Who Lied by Claire Douglas which is bearably meh - it's very much a cookie cutter crime/thriller but I got it as part of a buy one get one free deal with Really Good, Actually. I started The Salt Path earlier in the week but I think it might be my first DNF of the year - I really cannot fathom how two 50 something decide to go walking 600 miles when one has a muscle wasting disease and they have two grown kids - I just kept thinking she could get a job, and if my Mum was homeless I'd sack off uni in a heartbeat and make sure my parents were OK!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m reading Moby Dick, I absolutely love it.

I’ve also got Spare by PH on the go. I actually really like it which is rather worrying 😂

I’m hoarding Milly Johnsons that I find in the village book box. Love reading those.

• Heart
Actually. I started The Salt Path earlier in the week but I think it might be my first DNF of the year - I really cannot fathom how two 50 something decide to go walking 600 miles when one has a muscle wasting disease and they have two grown kids - I just kept thinking she could get a job, and if my Mum was homeless I'd sack off uni in a heartbeat and make sure my parents were OK!
I persevered with the Salt Path and regretted it. I don't understand the rave reviews for it at all, I'm glad someone else thinks she should have just got a job. I just found her so selfish and immature.

Ive only recently discovered Lisa Jewell and I'm loving her books! I have listened to The Family Upstairs, The Family Remains, The Invisible Girl and Watching You. Waiting for None of This Is True on Borrowbox currently. I love the flow of her books and they come across very well in audio.

--

I've got a 2 week cruise ☀ coming up this month and I can't wait to read loads of kindle books.
Just going to 'mood read' through my tbr choices:
The Secrets of Strangers
Broadcast
Last one at the Party
Wrong Place, Wrong Time
Their Little Secrets
Salems lot
Empire of the Vampire
The Woman in Black

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Guys.. been really tit with my reading this month and even fell off this thread which is my fave thread.

had a crappy few weeks (being made redundant 😩) but feeling a bit more positive and hoping i can get back into reading properly.

Been listening to ‘really good actually’, and I’m not really drawn into it so I think that also hasn’t helped that I haven’t had a book to grip ny interest.

seen some great recommendations on this thread so Will check some of those out

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I persevered with the Salt Path and regretted it. I don't understand the rave reviews for it at all, I'm glad someone else thinks she should have just got a job. I just found her so selfish and immature.
I'm SO glad someone else found the same thing! I was starting to think I'd completely missed something. One of my friends raved about it, and I couldn't get past page 50.

I'm SO glad someone else found the same thing! I was starting to think I'd completely missed something. One of my friends raved about it, and I couldn't get past page 50.
I said the very same a few threads back. She blamed everyone else for their situation, even though they could have done more to help themselves. Then expected everything to be handed to them on a plate. I was interested in it because I live right on the South West Coast Path, and then she went and missed out the bit I was really interested in too!

Just finished her majesty's Royal coven by Juno Dawson, started strong and then became a preachy heavy handed pro trans book ( nothing inherently wrong with this but felt it could have had more impact if it had been more subtle) but it did get better again towards the end. Gave it a low 4 stars, seen others raving about this book and saying its 5 five stars feel like I'm missing something 😂.

• Heart
🚨 CoHo ridiculous name klaxon 🚨

A dog is named Pepperjack Cheese 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Me three! I read it with my book club and I hated it! I thought she was so entitled and didn’t come across well at all. IIRC the group was mixed, a few loved it and were inspired to walk the route and others didn’t like it. It prompted some interesting discussion.
I think she’s now written at least 2 further books, safe to say I won’t be bothering with them!
---
All the Light we Cannot See has just been released on Netflix. I’ve never read the book before, went to add it to my wish list and I bought it 2 years ago 🤦‍♀️ is it worth reading the book before watching the series?

Me three! I read it with my book club and I hated it! I thought she was so entitled and didn’t come across well at all. IIRC the group was mixed, a few loved it and were inspired to walk the route and others didn’t like it. It prompted some interesting discussion.
I think she’s now written at least 2 further books, safe to say I won’t be bothering with them!
---
All the Light we Cannot See has just been released on Netflix. I’ve never read the book before, went to add it to my wish list and I bought it 2 years ago 🤦‍♀️ is it worth reading the book before watching the series?
Oooh I bought a brand new paperback of All The Light We Cannot See from the charity shop for about 20p. Gonna have to bump that and Firefly Lane to the top as I want to watch both of these!

• Heart
i loved all the light we cannot see! so yes, would always recommend reading it, i thought it was beautiful. intrigued about the series!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.