Books #22 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished The Couple At No.9 by Clare Douglas. Very good, a few twists and turns that had me staying up until 1am this morning to finish the book.

8531B0FE-918B-45FF-8C34-1D016A1A600F.jpeg

Ordered the paperback of this as death and the science around it, fascinates me and it’s been recommended to me so many times. Interesting book but badly written, could have been so much more so that was a disappointment.

780FB257-CCDC-4EB1-A9EA-994DF0B8F265.jpeg

Next up is this that I ordered for my iPad yesterday.

CFF8B158-2F92-4B4E-9BC1-209BD8AA58F3.jpeg

Reactions: 8
To whoever it was that mentioned Jean Kwok's ARC - thank you, thank you, thank you! Really enjoying it. I haven't read anything by her before and her writing is just wonderful.

Also reading Crying in H Mart which is just stunning.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ordered the paperback of this as death and the science around it, fascinates me and it’s been recommended to me so many times. Interesting book but badly written, could have been so much more so that was a disappointment.

780FB257-CCDC-4EB1-A9EA-994DF0B8F265.jpeg
I listened to this as an audiobook earlier in the year. If she said "as a mother" one more time I was going to scream. Clearly non-mothers have no feelings and couldn't possibly be touched by death 😑

I also thought it had the potential to be great but was lacking.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The latest Lisa Jewel ‘None of This is True’ is good. Had me gripped and the narration is excellent on audible

Reactions: 9
Anybody read any Helly Acton? She writes speculative fiction (The Shelf, which is a reality show featuring people who were entered by their partners and then dumped live on TV, and The Couple, which is an anti-romance world in which there are penalties for being in a relationship). It's quirky, but I enjoy her ideas. I just finished her latest, Begin Again, where the protagonist dies in an accident, and then gets to see how her life would have turned out if she'd taken different crossroads.

Reactions: 5
Currently reading 'The Killing Kind' - enjoying it so far - off on holidays next week (feckin finally!!) any recommendations for easy breezy holiday reads and/or any thriller recommendations would be gratefully received!

Well......I cracked 😥. All thanks to my enabler (the librarian). They texted to say my drug of choice had arrived.
I'm sure they must be on this forum. They never used to ring/text me.
And I was doing so well!!!!! 😭📖📚🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I listened to this as an audiobook earlier in the year. If she said "as a mother" one more time I was going to scream. Clearly non-mothers have no feelings and couldn't possibly be touched by death 😑

I also thought it had the potential to be great but was lacking.
Yes, the author really thought a lot of herself. 🙄 Also, the amount of times she kept saying “we don’t judge” and then went on to judge literally everyone. It was infuriating.

A massive disappointment after Professor Sue Black's books.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Finished Mad Honey today and it was a fairly an average 3.5 overall from me. It started off brilliantly, was totally engaged with the characters and the story but I felt like the last quarter or so really dragged. I just wanted to know the outcome of the trail, not another flashback to Lily going back over something that had already been mentioned earlier the book. If at least 2-3 flashbacks had been cut out it would have been a a good 4.5.

Reactions: 8
@Tangerine Cat Sue Black's books are hard to beat, she's fantastic. I've seen her at events before and she's so knowledgeable and articulate but funny and engaging at the same time.
---
Well......I cracked 😥. All thanks to my enabler (the librarian). They texted to say my drug of choice had arrived.
I'm sure they must be on this forum. They never used to ring/text me.
And I was doing so well!!!!! 😭📖📚🙄
That's hilarious that your library are hassling you to come back. 😂 🎣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
@Tangerine Cat Sue Black's books are hard to beat, she's fantastic. I've seen her at events before and she's so knowledgeable and articulate but funny and engaging at the same time.
OMG I would pee my pants with excitement. 💖 She did the Royal Institutes Christmas Lectures last year, did you see them, it was how they solve crimes and catch criminals from bodily clues. Fascinating.

I'll have to see if she’s doing any events near me, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: 2
Happy 22nd thread tattlers!

I am in a book hangover after The Things We Leave Unfinished. Started the new Elena Armas that came out Tuesday (The Long Game) but wasn't in the right mood I don't think.

OMG I would pee my pants with excitement. 💖 She did the Royal Institutes Christmas Lectures last year, did you see them, it was how they solve crimes and catch criminals from bodily clues. Fascinating.

I'll have to see if she’s doing any events near me, thanks for the tip.
I don’t live far from where she’s from so she used to do events around here quite regularly. She’s such a kind, down to earth person and always makes time to chat. I’ve not seen much from her recently on social media so I hope she’s OK. Maybe working on another book? 🤞
I meant to watch the lectures then forgot 🤦‍♀️ I’ll need to look and see if they’re still available on iPlayer.
---
I think my Libby app is spying on me 😂 Behind Closed Doors is available as an audiobook. Has anyone listened to it or is it better to read it?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.