Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone read People Person by the author of Queenie? That's 99p I'm considering but I also need to stop buying 🙃 Amazon product
i found people person very readable, but ultimately very muddled and without much substance. it also had a frankly unforgivable amount of editing errors, which bugged me considering the author thanked three separate editors at the end 🤣 i liked queenie very much though and i will say that it’s enjoyable enough to pass the time if you also liked that book.

Reactions: 1
this makes me want to read it more 🤣 the hockey is the main selling point for me!

also, finished the most fun we ever had and cried a bit, i got so attached to everyone in it and it’s a really beautiful depiction of how to write very “real” characters who aren’t always likeable. if you love a family saga, i would strongly recommend!
Absolutely love this book. Read it a few years ago and it's one of the few books that has stuck in my mind since.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
this makes me want to read it more 🤣 the hockey is the main selling point for me!

also, finished the most fun we ever had and cried a bit, i got so attached to everyone in it and it’s a really beautiful depiction of how to write very “real” characters who aren’t always likeable. if you love a family saga, i would strongly recommend!
I really loved The Most Fun We Ever Had too ❤ if anyone has any recommendations for similar reads I would love to hear!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I really loved The Most Fun We Ever Had too ❤ if anyone has any recommendations for similar reads I would love to hear!
if we’re talking american family sagas with similar vibes then i would strongly recommend;

the iowa trilogy by jane smiley
the engagements or maine or saints for all occasions by j.courtney sullivan
little fires everywhere by celeste ng
ask again yes by mary beth keane
the weird sisters by eleanor brown
a spool of blue thread by anne tyler

actually anything by anne tyler or anne patchett.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
^ Spot on recommendations from @LaBlonde!

I'd also add Commonwealth by Ann Patchett and A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

• Heart
Reactions: 3
if we’re talking american family sagas with similar vibes then i would strongly recommend;

Thank you so much!!! I've read Spool of Blue Thread which I enjoyed, and Little Fires Everywhere (looooved this one). I think I have Ask Again Yes on my kindle so will bump that up my tbr and have a look at the others :giggle:

• Heart
^ Spot on recommendations from @LaBlonde!

I'd also add Commonwealth by Ann Patchett and A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza
Commonwealth is on my tbr (one of what feels like 5000 at this point 😂) and I'll have a look at A Place for Us thank you!!

So pleased you stuck with it. I too got really attached to the characters and was sad to finish it.

Thanks for your recs for American family sagas. I'm a huge Anne Tyler and Ann Patchet fan. I'll check out the others.

• Heart
Commonwealth is on my tbr (one of what feels like 5000 at this point 😂) and I'll have a look at A Place for Us thank you!!
Forget to add another great one: The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer! It's more friendship than families but definitely a long saga to get stuck into and characters that you won't forget.

I'm just here to say I've bought all the Alison Weir Six books and have no regrets 😂😂😂 Her non-fiction books were on my reading lists at university and were so refreshing in the wilderness of textbook writing 😴

I got Beartown on a 99p deal, definitely bumping it up my list! Should I also get the second book even though I haven’t read Beartown yet? 🤔

I got Beartown on a 99p deal, definitely bumping it up my list! Should I also get the second book even though I haven’t read Beartown yet? 🤔
I would, for me there was a large bedding in period with Beartown and it did take me a significant chunk of the book to get into it. Whereas I jumped right into Us Against You because the scene was set if that makes sense.

I would, for me there was a large bedding in period with Beartown and it did take me a significant chunk of the book to get into it. Whereas I jumped right into Us Against You because the scene was set if that makes sense.
Consider yourself an influencer 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Consider yourself an influencer 😆
Omg you guyzzzz. #aff #ad

If only I did make commission off Beartown recommendations 😂

Im about 35% of the way into Autumn by Ali Smith. I want to love it but Im really not sure yet. I do love Daniel though. So far.

• Haha
I cannot remember a single thing that happened in Autumn, not one character, not one plot point. I just read the synopsis on Wikipedia and am still none the wiser.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Im so sorry to everyone who has heard me a million times. I found it very dull for the first 30/40% and really didnt think Id enjoy it as much as I did.
This is actually reassuring to hear, I was going to continue to anyway but this makes me a bit more motivated to pick it back up 🙂

I love a family saga and haven’t read most of these, so thank you!

• Heart
I cannot remember a single thing that happened in Autumn, not one character, not one plot point. I just read the synopsis on Wikipedia and am still none the wiser.
I am definitely getting that sort of vibe from it. Ive said it before on here I very seldom get 'clever' books. The writing is beautiful though.

This is actually reassuring to hear, I was going to continue to anyway but this makes me a bit more motivated to pick it back up 🙂

I love a family saga and haven’t read most of these, so thank you!
I think once (or if) the story grips you, thatl be it. I feel like the writing style takes time to adjust to aswell.

I always give Beartown as my number one example as to why Im not a DNF-er.

i found people person very readable, but ultimately very muddled and without much substance. it also had a frankly unforgivable amount of editing errors, which bugged me considering the author thanked three separate editors at the end 🤣 i liked queenie very much though and i will say that it’s enjoyable enough to pass the time if you also liked that book.
Wish I'd read this before I bought it 😂. Only 99p though, and I adored Queenie, one of those books that I finished and wanted to start again immediately.

Has everyone chosen their First Reads? I’m not particularly excited about any this month.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.