Books #11 Reading Chats (and 99p deals!)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finally finished listening to sorrow and bliss.

what a slog that was!

I don’t think the writer did justice for people with chronic mental health issues, Martha was throughly unlikeable and an awful person, so self absorbed and none of those qualities had anything to do with her MH. I don’t think she was meant to be likeable but I just found her so foul I couldnt feel any empathy for her, just those around her.
Ah I’m so disappointed that not everyone loved sorrow and bliss as much as I did! I don’t recommend it widely though. I was listening to Aisling Bea on the Bookshelfie podcast yesterday and she put it in her top five books and spoke of how important it was not to classify the mental health problem because it “others” the character then. She followed the same tact in writing this way up. We are too quick to put people in boxes and think their experience is exclusive to that box and write it off accordingly. By not classifying, it makes it more universal and relatable maybe.

I have chronic mental health problems and I could relate to every word written. So many of her thoughts and reasonings and experiences could have been my own, it was almost eerie. The selfishness and self obsession and insecurity and paranoia, it ain’t pretty but it’s real.

But my experience isn’t everyone’s. I understand it may be marmite in its appeal! Some will just find her insufferable. Others will find hope and feel less alone. ❤

In other news, I’m halfway through Crying in H Mart and it might break me. I’m in a low ebb at the moment already and worried about my own mother’s mortality, why I thought reading this book now was a good idea I’ll never know. Is anyone else utterly masochistic in their reading?!

I actually find both of these reviews valid and whilst opposing would potentially agree with both.

I dont think Martha had to be likeable, often in real life people are not. So I dont massively have a gripe with the way the character was written or anything.

I cant really put my finger on what it was that I didnt like about Sorrow & Bliss. I suffer poor mental health and would have long periods of depression and anxiety throughout my life so far. I think perhaps the setting is what was off for me. Perhaps the middle class nature of the story. For the majority of people they have to drag themselves along every day and cannot wallow because we just have to get on even if it kills us every day.

I did at some points wonder if the big reveal was going to be a personality disorder but it wasnt that.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
If you need some light relief I'd really recommend Jane Fallon Faking Friends. It's not as good as Worst Idea Ever (imo) but still a really nice easy read that is quite witty.
I love Jane Fallon. I've read all her books.

Reactions: 3
Ah I’m so disappointed that not everyone loved sorrow and bliss as much as I did! I don’t recommend it widely though. I was listening to Aisling Bea on the Bookshelfie podcast yesterday and she put it in her top five books and spoke of how important it was not to classify the mental health problem because it “others” the character then. She followed the same tact in writing this way up. We are too quick to put people in boxes and think their experience is exclusive to that box and write it off accordingly. By not classifying, it makes it more universal and relatable maybe.

I have chronic mental health problems and I could relate to every word written. So many of her thoughts and reasonings and experiences could have been my own, it was almost eerie. The selfishness and self obsession and insecurity and paranoia, it ain’t pretty but it’s real.

But my experience isn’t everyone’s. I understand it may be marmite in its appeal! Some will just find her insufferable. Others will find hope and feel less alone. ❤

In other news, I’m halfway through Crying in H Mart and it might break me. I’m in a low ebb at the moment already and worried about my own mother’s mortality, why I thought reading this book now was a good idea I’ll never know. Is anyone else utterly masochistic in their reading?!
Beautifully put.
I was gutted that most folk here didn't love S&B as much as I did too (I started to think I looked a bit rabid about it in posts above 😅). People seemed to get stuck on the protagonist being so unlikeable, but I know that when I'm very unwell I am completely unlikeable - as you say: not pretty but very real.

Maybe it's an if you know, you know type of deal.

Thanks for mentioning the Bookshelfie episode - I'm going to listen later x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I actually find both of these reviews valid and whilst opposing would potentially agree with both.

I dont think Martha had to be likeable, often in real life people are not. So I dont massively have a gripe with the way the character was written or anything.

I cant really put my finger on what it was that I didnt like about Sorrow & Bliss. I suffer poor mental health and would have long periods of depression and anxiety throughout my life so far. I think perhaps the setting is what was off for me. Perhaps the middle class nature of the story. For the majority of people they have to drag themselves along every day and cannot wallow because we just have to get on even if it kills us every day.

I did at some points wonder if the big reveal was going to be a personality disorder but it wasnt that.

i agree with this, I think this was what made me like it less, i’ve also suffered from depression and had to fight everyday to go to work and get through life. obviously everyone has their own experiences so relate to the book differently. For me when I was in my dark phase, All i could think of was how my feelings are affecting everyone around me and making me feel worse everyday for not getting better, so completely different to Martha hence not being able to relate to the character.

i do love the that Patrick told her she was just ‘ordinary’ as it was really grating on me that she thought she was so superior to everyone else.

An author (i can’t remember who) once said they love having adoring reviews but also love the the ones where people have hated their books because it means it still have evoked some feeling and I think this book does that, so well done to the author.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If you need some light relief I'd really recommend Jane Fallon Faking Friends. It's not as good as Worst Idea Ever (imo) but still a really nice easy read that is quite witty.
I’ve listened to a few of hers on audible and this one was my favourite!

Reactions: 1
New to this thread!
As a busy mum of 3, I rarely get time to read nowadays but I'm getting back into it now I have the kindle app and it's easier to pick up a book that way!
I've just finished My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. I love a shocking book and this didn't fail.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
New to this thread!
As a busy mum of 3, I rarely get time to read nowadays but I'm getting back into it now I have the kindle app and it's easier to pick up a book that way!
I've just finished My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. I love a shocking book and this didn't fail.
If you like that then look for my absolute darling. Brutal story. Beautiful writing.

Yup! I love that we can share our differing experiences and perspectives. There is room for dialogue and discussion. And we all approach an art form with our own lens. No review is ever not valid. It’s just one point of view. And our own will even change depending on when we read it. What we once love at one time in our life, we might hate it on second read at a different time! And vice versa - although far less likely to ever reread a hated read!

i agree with this, I think this was what made me like it less, i’ve also suffered from depression and had to fight everyday to go to work and get through life. obviously everyone has their own experiences so relate to the book differently. For me when I was in my dark phase, All i could think of was how my feelings are affecting everyone around me and making me feel worse everyday for not getting better, so completely different to Martha hence not being able to relate to the character.

i do love the that Patrick told her she was just ‘ordinary’ as it was really grating on me that she thought she was so superior to everyone else.

An author (i can’t remember who) once said they love having adoring reviews but also love the the ones where people have hated their books because it means it still have evoked some feeling and I think this book does that, so well done to the author.
ha yes I highlighted that line from Patrick! We can think we are so bleeping special and unique in our pain. Or that we deserve an extraordinary life. And cannot cope with mundanity off reality. Harsh but fair words from Pat!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.