Book Club January - Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finally started The Herd last night and managed to read 20% in one sitting. I’ve not done that with a book in all of October or November so far so I’m over the moon that it’s getting me out my rut.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m half way through and really enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation as it’s also helped me out of a slump

Reactions: 6
I’m 80% through going to try to finish it now while I’ve got a break until 3pm!

Reactions: 2
I started yesterday and already 37% through. Not what I expected at all, but I'm quite enjoying it.

I started reading it a few days ago, took a bit to get into it but now I’m really intrigued by it!

Reactions: 1
Finished it! Fasted I've read a book in ages. Not really sure what to rate it as though, I wanted to keep reading, but I found the vax / anti vax ajenda a bit too prominent for me. As others have said, the characters of Ash and Jack were much more likeable than the mums. I'd have liked to see more of Rosalyn too. I assumed Clemmie was going to die, so I was "glad" when she didn't despite the sad outcome. The autism bit was very poignant for me too, having a severely autistic child myself. I've never paid much attention to the debate around vaccines from that perspective, so it was interesting reading. I think a 3.75 from me 😬

Reactions: 7
4 stars from me. It was engaging and I raced through it despite the topic not being something I’d necessarily ‘want’ to read about. Definitely a good book club book.

What was the point of Rosalyn? I feel like she served next to no purpose.

I liked Jack and Ash more than I liked Elizabeth and Bry. I found Bry quite frustrating because of the fact that she wasn’t listening to anything outside of her mum for most of the book.

I liked that the book wasn’t particularly judgemental of either side and focused on the fear felt by parents on all sides about doing the ‘right’ thing for their kids.

Reactions: 8
It was good wasn’t it! I nearly gave up but stuck with it until read some Amazon reviews which raved over it - glad I did as I loved it!
Normally I'd have a good idea of where the book is going and figured out the happy ending. I was very surprised by this! I listened to another of her books called the flat share during covid and that was very enjoyable! I looked forward to my walk every day and picked the longer route just so I could listen to more of it! And they have made that into a tv series!

Normally I'd have a good idea of where the book is going and figured out the happy ending. I was very surprised by this! I listened to another of her books called the flat share during covid and that was very enjoyable! I looked forward to my walk every day and picked the longer route just so I could listen to more of it! And they have made that into a tv series!
Oh have they? I’ll look that up. I liked her others too, brill! I had no idea of the ending either, it was clever really, kept you reading and guessing but a nice gentle read too.

Finished The Herd tonight. It took me 3/4 days to read up to around 50% and then I’ve whizzed through the last half in the past 24 hours. I was even reading it at 2am today when I couldn’t sleep!

I enjoyed the book but couldn’t really relate to the yummy mummy rich types as that’s just not me and my family at all but that’s not to say I didn’t grow to like the characters. I think I liked Bry more than Elizabeth as at points I felt her anti-vax thought process made more sense than Elizabeth’s stance (even though I know there’s zero link between MMR & Autism) because she’d had lived experience of her mother saying the vaccine had caused her brother’s condition and when we’re young we don’t question the elders around us. Even before the reveal of Elizabeth making up the fact that Clemmie couldn’t be vaccinated I felt that had to be more to it than one doctor saying she couldn’t have vaccines so I felt something off with her character and story throughout.

I think I’d rate the book at 3.75 rounded up to 4.

I’ve always been pro vax despite not really looking into it (aside from the infamous MMR / Autism study) as you just sort of take it as the done thing when the note comes through to book in for your child’s next vaccine but the author’s note has really got my mind whirring and it’s certainly something I’ll look more into going forwards - especially when it comes to my son. I suppose the covid vaccine pro/anti conversations have brought this issue to the forefront again and anything that helps educate (even if prompted by a fiction novel) has got to be good long term.

Reactions: 5
I am hoping to start this tonight. I have had a lot going on that I cant exactly go into without doxxing myself but I am not in the headspace to read at all so Im hoping its a good 'un.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.