Book Club January - Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just started You Made a Fool. I knew nothing about it before starting (or suggesting it for here!) but had seen it all over social media!

It’s a bit raunchy almost immediately and after the intensity of dreamland I’m not hating that lusty distraction!
Can’t wait to start😅

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Just started You Made a Fool. I knew nothing about it before starting (or suggesting it for here!) but had seen it all over social media!

It’s a bit raunchy almost immediately and after the intensity of dreamland I’m not hating that lusty distraction!
Finished!

3/5

I was expecting something a little different, more along the lines of An American Marriage. But that’s my bad. Not the book. I started it yesterday morning and absolutely tore through it. A very easy and engaging read. The quality of writing was totally fine but nothing special. The storyline infuriated me and i hated most of the characters by the end. Delighted I read it, confused as to why all the fuss about it everywhere, and very much hoping no one paid full price for it!!!

What is it about this girl that had every man falling at her feet?! I kind of hate that she went from random bathroom guy to his friend to his friend’s dad like that. I know she never sexed Nasir but still, it made it all a little incestuous. I’m all for female sexual empowerment but I wouldn’t admire any man for such either.

I did feel she was using Nasir. I don’t really blame him for how he reacted. He wasn’t entitled to anything from her, but a little decency wouldn’t have gone astray. I feel she led him on.

and Alim was just a total love bomber. I really wanted it to end with him chickening out and ghosting her! It was all wrapped up too neatly.

I want a sequel, where Alim and her can’t make it work in the real world, she loses interest without the sense of danger and wrongness and secrecy or he cuts all contact when she returns to Brooklyn…and the rest of the book is about Joy and Lorraine!

Reactions: 3
This started out so promising. I was looking forward to a decent scary, fun read but got an under developed tale of sex, sex and even more sex. Seriously, it was so disappointing when the author had the capacity to thrill and spook but instead almost became a teenager again along with the raging hormones. My first 2 * in a while.

The Ex Hex

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve finished The Ex Hex too
I really enjoyed it, but felt the ending was a bit rushed 🙈 the sequel is out now so I’m going to order it!

Im reading the Ex Hex aswell as You Made a Fool Of Death With Your Beauty.

Only started The Ex Hex last night.

This started out so promising. I was looking forward to a decent scary, fun read but got an under developed tale of sex, sex and even more sex. Seriously, it was so disappointing when the author had the capacity to thrill and spook but instead almost became a teenager again along with the raging hormones. My first 2 * in a while.

The Ex Hex
I finished it on Monday and you took the words right out. I gave it ⭐⭐

Hi everyone! Recently discovered this thread, (along with the other books thread) happy to find my fellow bookworms! Managed to get the winning title on reserve at borrow box and just purchased The Ex Hex on kindle so will report back with my thoughts. 😊

Reactions: 7
Is there a way to get a BorrowBox on kindle? It’s killing me reading on my phone 😆

I just finished

Like another poster said, it annoyed me how she had men just falling at her feet.

I would have liked to know if the relationship had worked. Maybe an epilogue in a few years time.

Overall 3/5

I’ve given up on The Ex Hex at 86%. I think I’ve skim read since about 50% as it’s just not my thing at all and I don’t want to give it any more time. I felt like there was zero plot and absolutely no character development. I don’t read a lot (if any) of this style and now I remember why. I’m off to find a nice juicy thriller instead now.
2/5

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I gave up on You Made a Fool of Death after the first chapter, very boring and blah. The characters feel very two dimensional. It’s not my usual cup of tea but I thought I’d give it a go. Going to start The Ex Hex tonight.

I’ve finished reading The Ex Hex, it was a 3/5 for me. I thought it was a nice, quite comforting read. Nothing special but enjoyable nonetheless.

I’m waiting to see if my library hold for the main book comes up.

Finally finished both books.

I have quite a lot to say about this one. Positives for me, LGBTQ+ representation. Not every relationship was heterosexual and I loved that. Also loved there was a male bi character, it really doesnt happen often. I also liked it portrayed female sexuality in a positive light. I had no issue with how Feyi was potrayed as a woman men flocked too. Men are written like this all the time with no redeeming qualities. White female characters are often written like this aswell. She was described as attractive with a good body, was a talented and creative individual. Why would men not like that?

Nasir, urgh. So much urgh. I had the ick and he was a fictional character. I feel like I wont be speaking solely for myself when I say I know men like this, I have experienced this. Where they only do nice things to obtain things for themselves. It came across to me that he was more cut up about the rejection from Feyi than the fact Feyi had fallen in love with Alim. I feel Feyi was honest with him from the beginning about how she felt and didnt really lead him on at all. It was quite clear from the start of the book that Feyi didnt want a relationship. I realise that changed eventually but she never told Nasir she wanted that or indicated it would happen for them.

Loved Joys character alot despite her flaws.

Overall I did find it a bit boring, not much happened and I didnt really care much. Id give it 3.5 out of 5. I listened on Audible so I hope I have spelled characters names correctly.

Read this at the start of the month. Not something Id pick normally as Id usually avoid anything with a supernatural theme. It was season appropriate and a nice fluffy read to kick the month off. Nothing ground breaking but I really liked the whole feel of the little spooky town, I pictured it a bit like Mystic Falls from The Vampre Diaries. 3 out of 5 for this one.

Really glad I read both of these. Not something Id pick so its nice to add 2 to the tally for the year which are a bit different.

Reactions: 4
Finally finished both books.

I have quite a lot to say about this one. Positives for me, LGBTQ+ representation. Not every relationship was heterosexual and I loved that. Also loved there was a male bi character, it really doesnt happen often. I also liked it portrayed female sexuality in a positive light. I had no issue with how Feyi was potrayed as a woman men flocked too. Men are written like this all the time with no redeeming qualities. White female characters are often written like this aswell. She was described as attractive with a good body, was a talented and creative individual. Why would men not like that?

Nasir, urgh. So much urgh. I had the ick and he was a fictional character. I feel like I wont be speaking solely for myself when I say I know men like this, I have experienced this. Where they only do nice things to obtain things for themselves. It came across to me that he was more cut up about the rejection from Feyi than the fact Feyi had fallen in love with Alim. I feel Feyi was honest with him from the beginning about how she felt and didnt really lead him on at all. It was quite clear from the start of the book that Feyi didnt want a relationship. I realise that changed eventually but she never told Nasir she wanted that or indicated it would happen for them.

Loved Joys character alot despite her flaws.

Overall I did find it a bit boring, not much happened and I didnt really care much. Id give it 3.5 out of 5. I listened on Audible so I hope I have spelled characters names correctly.

Read this at the start of the month. Not something Id pick normally as Id usually avoid anything with a supernatural theme. It was season appropriate and a nice fluffy read to kick the month off. Nothing ground breaking but I really liked the whole feel of the little spooky town, I pictured it a bit like Mystic Falls from The Vampre Diaries. 3 out of 5 for this one.

Really glad I read both of these. Not something Id pick so its nice to add 2 to the tally for the year which are a bit different.
love your perspective on you made a fool! And while I don’t rate it so highly, I agree that the diversity in representation was a big plus for the book. I fully expect a Joy- based sequel.

love your perspective on you made a fool! And while I don’t rate it so highly, I agree that the diversity in representation was a big plus for the book. I fully expect a Joy- based sequel.
I think Id like a Joy based sequel. I say 3.5 but I did round it down to 3 on Good Reads. I couldnt round it up.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.