Book Club #3 Reading is life

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How is it possible that I’ve been reading this book for a full week and I’m only at 79%?! It’s only 250 pages long, it should only have taken me 2-3 days. I almost don’t want to read anymore, I’ve just been skim reading for the last 20% as I just don’t care anymore.

Reactions: 5
I'm 50% in but I'm reading other stuff at the same time. I think I will finish it to see how it ends

But so far I think we got catfished by the blurb/summary lol.

Always up for trying something new though 😅 This thread is making me go out of my typical TBR though! I liked last month's book and have bought another book by same author.

Reactions: 3
My Husband review:

Okay, so I finished it, and actually I'm glad I did because it immediately made me feel better about myself. Why? Because I always thought I'm an overthinker...but JEEEEEEEEEEEES LOUIIIIIIIISE I don't think as obsessively as this woman! My goodness, I could not get through life analysing every thing and punishing someone. Yes, I know the husband in the epilogue turns out to be just as bad as her and controlling her and encouraging her anxiety but I think they are both as bad as each other.

I feel a lot more realistic in life compared to this woman who seems so obsessed with being in love that she's actually really not in love, and is anxious and yet doesn't want to leave him. And he is the same, he doesn't want her to leave but he's acting hot and cold to control her, and doesn't seem to mind that she sleeps with other men because he can use it to his advantage. wow.

I think I will sleep so much better tonight knowing I'm not in that sort of relationship! 😅 I guess I couldn't relate to her, she doesn't seem to give much of a care for her kids at all in her obsession to keep her husband interested. I think the reason I - and probably most of us - struggled to read it is because it's like a constant stream of anxiety. That's why I had to read it in small bursts.

But, I tried something outside of my usual TBR list and this is how you learn new things/try new things. I need a nice cheesy crime thriller or fantasy book next as a palate cleanser. I think I rate it 3 stars for the idea, but 2 stars for the enjoyment factor.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Well I did it, I finally finished The Husband! It has never taken me so long to read a book as short as this. I wasn’t sure I’d ever finish at one point and thought I’d be stuck in the narrator’s stream of consciousness forever and ever.
I have to say I really disliked this book, it’s not the worst book I’ve read this year but it’s down there hanging out with them at the very bottom of the pile. Is it the worst book ever written? No. Does the book have zero plot and make you question if you’re reading for pleasure or torture? Yes.

Even the big reveal of the husband knowing about her weird ways just fell flat as by that point I didn’t care. I second what others have said about it possibly working better as a novella and I agree. You could have had a handful of pages per day and got to the point in a much quicker, concise and thought out matter.

I’m glad I stepped out my comfort level but I’m heading straight for the new Housemaid book now to cleanse my palette and get me back on track.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Well I did it, I finally finished The Husband! It has never taken me so long to read a book as short as this. I wasn’t sure I’d ever finish at one point and thought I’d be stuck in the narrator’s stream of consciousness forever and ever.
I have to say I really disliked this book, it’s not the worst book I’ve read this year but it’s down there hanging out with them at the very bottom of the pile. Is it the worst book ever written? No. Does the book have zero plot and make you question if you’re reading for pleasure or torture? Yes.

Even the big reveal of the husband knowing about her weird ways just fell flat as by that point I didn’t care. I second what others have said about it possibly working better as a novella and I agree. You could have had a handful of pages per day and got to the point in a much quicker, concise and thought out matter.

I’m glad I stepped out my comfort level but I’m heading straight for the new Housemaid book now to cleanse my palette and get me back on track.
I got my new Housemaid yesterday and so excited for it. I know it’s very easy reading but I just love Freida

Argh, I’ve only just finished my first kindle book of the month (The Most Fun We Ever Had - enjoyed it but it’s long and I’ve been fairly busy), so I was going to move on to this one next as it’s short and now I don’t know 👀

I have some time today so I might just dedicate a couple of hours to it and hope that helps?!

Reactions: 4
I got my new Housemaid yesterday and so excited for it. I know it’s very easy reading but I just love Freida
I’m already about 20% through it and really enjoying it. Such an easy read but one that pulls you in!
---
Argh, I’ve only just finished my first kindle book of the month (The Most Fun We Ever Had - enjoyed it but it’s long and I’ve been fairly busy), so I was going to move on to this one next as it’s short and now I don’t know 👀

I have some time today so I might just dedicate a couple of hours to it and hope that helps?!
For me it felt like the longest book ever, I had to keep reminding myself it was quite a short one and just to push on.

Okay I actually read 70% yesterday which I wasn’t expecting! Pleased I’d read the comments here though as otherwise I’d have probably picked up and put down a lot and then it’d have dragged.

I’ll finish it today, read the spoilers here and then come back with my thoughts.

Okay so I’m pleased I went ahead and read it. It definitely helped reading a chunk in one go because I skim read the last 10% just wanting it to be over after I’d put it down 😂

I agree with pretty much everything else that’s already been said. Giving it 2.5 stars.

Reactions: 5
Okay so I’m pleased I went ahead and read it. It definitely helped reading a chunk in one go because I skim read the last 10% just wanting it to be over after I’d put it down 😂

I agree with pretty much everything else that’s already been said. Giving it 2.5 stars.
Glad you made it to the end!

Just realised I forgot to rate it so 2 stars for me!

Reactions: 2
Seeing some comments here about how nothing progresses, no character development etc, you're right, it didn't go anywhere, it was essentially a stream of consciousness for a week of someone's life. Interesting concept but in execution I don't think any of us have come away liking the characters.

I finished last month's pick, The murder the night before, this week.

I enjoyed it but felt there was some unnecessary bits for example, Jack and the undercover police story - this just made my eyes roll and I think it could have worked without the neighbours and boss all knowing Lulu. Posey could have just been investigating Lulu, she could have just had an affair with Patrick, there was no need for them all to be linked.

I quite liked her writing style and do have her other book so will definitely give it a go.

I think it might have been a 3* from me

Reactions: 6
Finished My Husband today

Definitely agree with others that it would have worked better as a novella, she just went on and on and on! I liked the epilogue though, wasn't expecting that.

I'll be starting Sunburn soon.

• Heart
I’m kicking off July (how are we already picking July?!) nominations…

Clickbait by LC North

Amazon product

'We're not famous anymore. We're notorious.'

For over a decade, the Lancasters were celebrity royalty, with millions tuning in every week to watch their reality show, Living with the Lancasters.

But then an old video emerges of one of their legendary parties. Suddenly, they're in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons: witnesses swore they'd seen missing teenager Bradley Wilcox leaving the Lancaster family home on the night of the party, but the video tells a different story

Now true crime investigator and YouTuber Tom Isaac is on the case. He's determined to find out what really happened to Bradley - he just needs to read between the Lancasters' lies . . .

Because when the cameras are always rolling, it won't be long until someone cracks.

Reactions: 12
Any more nominations? Current 99p deals end Sunday so as long as votes are counted by then, we’ll have time to purchase anything.

Reactions: 1