Book Club #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished this over the weekend. I gave it 3.5 stars on Storygraph. I rounded it up to 4 on Good Reads but thats me being generous.

i found Molly so annoying as a main character and I feel guilty about that because she had obviously experienced a lot of trauma in her life but she irritated me. I also found the overall twist a bit of a damp squib. I do like a twist to go off like a firework and the whole lulu / Marilyn killing her thing was dull I felt. I dont really understand what making Lulus real father Patrick added to the story other than him wishing to keep the whole thing quiet but it would have worked as Lulus parents close friend too imo

I've said in the past I am very difficult to please with a thriller. I think once you have read some great ones it really sets the bar and my expectations high so I do think my low score is probably a bit unfair.

I think even comparing it to similar in its genre Louise Candlish, Lisa Jewell, Katherine Faulkner. I would prefer the type of novel they write. However I have since discovered I have her first novel on my kindle. God knows when I bought it but her writing was definitely easy to read and get through quickly so I will definitely give it a go :D

Reactions: 3
Finished The Murder After the Night Before tonight. Solid 4 stars for me. It’s not what I expected but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I really enjoyed the first half but then when it started delving more into the Lulu/Marilyn/Patrick/Oliver story it lost me a little bit. I couldn’t remember how everyone was connected and what they had to do with the story. However I absolutely loved Molly getting the bottle of wine at the end and everything falling into place, so clever! I do wish Jack/Josh hadn’t been with Posey romantically and there’d been room for something to happen with him and Molly as they built their relationship. But I thought the reveal of him being undercover was quite clever.

This wouldn’t have been something I’d have picked if my own choice - I feel like the cover made it seem like it would be throwaway “chick lit” but it was much darker than expected. Another good pick for the book club!
I’ve not bought it yet. I’m waiting hoping it will drop to 99p

Reactions: 1
I'm a few chapters in as have been away and only just started it. I'm hooked, have just read the chapter where she turns up to work and is shown the footage of what she did to the man... bless her. I have a feeling things are going to get a lot worse for her. I am finding it quick to read so far. Currently I trust noone, not even her friends.

I listened to it pretty much in 48 hours, I was hooked. I really thought Posey's boss Oliver would have more to do with it though, I really got bad vibes from him from the start.

Reactions: 4
I listened to it pretty much in 48 hours, I was hooked. I really thought Posey's boss Oliver would have more to do with it though, I really got bad vibes from him from the start.
You’re tempting me to spend … I’m on the wait list for the audio but it’s still saying mid June :(

Just realised we’re approaching the end of the month, where is the time going?!

Please nominate for June and I’ll tally up in a weeks time.

I have 2 to suggest this month. Ill do 2 different posts.

My Husband by Maud Ventura

Deal: My Husband: ‘A gripping read’ Sunday Times https://amzn.eu/d/1mWk0Co

From the outside, she has an enviable life: a successful career, stunning looks, a beautiful house in the suburbs, two healthy children, and most importantly, an ideal husband. After fifteen years together, she is still besotted with him. But she's never quite sure that her passion is reciprocated.

Determined to keep their relationship perfect, she meticulously prepares for every encounter they have, always taking care to make her actions seem effortless. She watches him attentively, charting every mistake and punishing him accordingly to help him improve. And she tests him - setting traps to make sure that he still loves her just as much as he did when they first met.

Until one day she realizes she may have gone too far . . .

Reactions: 9
Ooh thank you. I’ll have a spy!
Coming back to say I literally just finished How to Kill Men and Get Away With It and absolutely loved it! I enjoyed it so much more than The Murder After The Night Before. I’d say it’s one of my favourites of the year so far. Thanks for the heads up on it!

Reactions: 2
Amazon product
IMG_1658.jpeg

It's the early 1990s, and in the Irish village of Crossmore, Lucy feels out of place. Despite her fierce friendships, she's always felt this way, and the conventional path of marriage and motherhood doesn't appeal to her at all. Not even with handsome and doting Martin, her closest childhood friend.

Lucy begins to make sense of herself during a long hot summer, when a spark with her school friend Susannah escalates to an all-consuming infatuation, and, very quickly, to a desperate and devastating love.

Fearful of rejection from her small and conservative community, Lucy begins living a double life, hiding the most honest parts of herself in stolen moments with Susannah.

But with the end of school and the opportunity to leave Crossmore looming, Lucy must choose between two places, two people and two futures, each as terrifying as the other. Neither will be easy, but only one will offer her happiness.

Sunburn is an astute and tender portrayal of first love, adolescent anxiety and the realities of growing up in a small town where tradition holds people tightly in its grasp. An atmospheric sapphic love story and coming-of-age novel with the intensity of Megan Nolan's Acts of Desperation, the long hot summer of André Aciman's Call Me By Your Name and the female friendships of Anna Hope's Expectation.

Reactions: 2
Amazon product
View attachment 2951137
It's the early 1990s, and in the Irish village of Crossmore, Lucy feels out of place. Despite her fierce friendships, she's always felt this way, and the conventional path of marriage and motherhood doesn't appeal to her at all. Not even with handsome and doting Martin, her closest childhood friend.

Lucy begins to make sense of herself during a long hot summer, when a spark with her school friend Susannah escalates to an all-consuming infatuation, and, very quickly, to a desperate and devastating love.

Fearful of rejection from her small and conservative community, Lucy begins living a double life, hiding the most honest parts of herself in stolen moments with Susannah.

But with the end of school and the opportunity to leave Crossmore looming, Lucy must choose between two places, two people and two futures, each as terrifying as the other. Neither will be easy, but only one will offer her happiness.

Sunburn is an astute and tender portrayal of first love, adolescent anxiety and the realities of growing up in a small town where tradition holds people tightly in its grasp. An atmospheric sapphic love story and coming-of-age novel with the intensity of Megan Nolan's Acts of Desperation, the long hot summer of André Aciman's Call Me By Your Name and the female friendships of Anna Hope's Expectation.
This was going to be my 2nd suggestion!!!! Amazing 😂

• Haha
Just finished The Murder After the Night Before. I read it quickly, in a couple of days, which was a nice change as I've read some long 'uns recently. I enjoyed it, but I did find Molly a bit of a needy wet wipe. 😬 I do agree with all your spoilers that it would have been better if Josh / Jack hadn't been romantically involved with Molly and found it a bit convenient at the end that she was in a private hospital (why?) and that the police wouldn't have investigated Posey's death more thoroughly at the time. 3/5 from me.

I have 2 to suggest this month. Ill do 2 different posts.

My Husband by Maud Ventura

Deal: My Husband: ‘A gripping read’ Sunday Times https://amzn.eu/d/1mWk0Co

From the outside, she has an enviable life: a successful career, stunning looks, a beautiful house in the suburbs, two healthy children, and most importantly, an ideal husband. After fifteen years together, she is still besotted with him. But she's never quite sure that her passion is reciprocated.

Determined to keep their relationship perfect, she meticulously prepares for every encounter they have, always taking care to make her actions seem effortless. She watches him attentively, charting every mistake and punishing him accordingly to help him improve. And she tests him - setting traps to make sure that he still loves her just as much as he did when they first met.

Until one day she realizes she may have gone too far . . .
I feel I have this or it's on my wishlist

ETA: the same for the second choice 😂

• Haha
End of my holiday and got a decent amount of reading done!

The September House - A really great haunted house story that has some scares, some heart, some humour and some twists and turns. Loved this one.

The Postscript Murders - Elly Griffiths goes for the 'cosy' murder mystery trend, I enjoyed this a lot, the characters were strong and the story well plotted.

A Pale View of Hills - Kazuo Ishiguro's debut and this man really has a knack for writing books I shouldn't like but really do.

Case Study - not as good as His Bloody Project by the same author. Very thematic but I was hoping for a bit more pizzazz.

My Murder - a bit of a letdown. Missold as a murder mystery by the blurb when it's not especially, this is quite slow and all over the place at the same time. Poor execution of a great concept.

• Heart