Book Club #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh I’m excited! I finished my precious book last night so going to get started on my lunch today.

Reactions: 2
I was hesitant to post, but I am loving this book so though what the hell. We don't all have to love the same books. I am about 80 pages from the end, it had been a rollercoaster and that ride hasn't finished yet!
Even if I hate it, I’m so happy for you that it’s keeping your attention and you’re enjoying it so much. Being in hospital is the opposite of fun, I’m just delighted you have some worthwhile distraction.

I’ll be starting it tonight, watch this space! 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Gee, I am worried I have built this book up so highly and you will all be meh, 3* at best. 😂

But @Carapop maybe you are right. It is a lovely bit of escapism while I am in hospital. It is like a holiday in my head. 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just realised amongst my love for this book, I have forgotten to mention it also comes with a good dose of trigger warnings.

I have copied this from a review page for the book:

**Before I dive into this review, I need to mention a bunch of trigger warnings. Betty is a tough book to read at times, and if it weren’t for the heartwarming moments that balanced out the horror, I’m not sure I could have finished it. So—trigger warnings for racism, misogyny, rape, abuse (physical and mental), animal cruelty, corporal punishment, attempted suicide, murder, and depictions of extreme poverty. I know this sounds daunting, but please don’t let this stop you from reading this book. McDaniel’s story is based on the life of her mother Betty and follows her from birth to the age of eighteen. Many of the anecdotes depicted come from the extensive interviews she did with various family members, and this authenticity gives her story an intensity that brings her characters to life.**

Some of it is hard to read but if you can get passed that the warm, cosy, whole hearted bits far outweigh the hard bits

Last month we hoped for a 99p deal and it happened. Can we do it again?! Mind you, it’s already been that price recently hasn’t it? Keen to read but it’s just over my budget at the mo 🥲

Reactions: 3
Omg how did I miss there was a new thread I was wondering when the nominating was going to start 😆 I still haven’t finished tomorrow x 3 I’ve been crap at reading this month!! So going to leave it for now and start on this new book! I just bought it on kindle for £4.99 which I guess isn’t too bad

Reactions: 1
You guys left me behind 😪 😔 😢

Lol I just commented on the regular book thread saying we haven't chosen a book for February and then I go and find you. Happy to be here and I'm contemplating Betty so will be back.

Also glad to note that a lot of our thoughts were similar in regards to Tomorrow x 3.

It was transfer deadline day yesterday so I barely read a thing. Im going to finish the two books Im reading before I start Betty

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Someone read this book!!

i read it two years ago does that count 🤣

i found it, honestly, absolutely devastating. it’s beautifully written and involving, but i would tell everyone to pay attention to the trigger warnings. it gets extremely dark. i wait with interest for mcdaniel’s next book.

• Heart
I didn't know how to prepare people without spoiling the entire book. It is a ride for sure.

Is it fiction or non fiction? Or like Shuggie Bain where its fiction but written with very first hand experience of the subject matter.

It is like Shuggie Bain in the way you described above but that is where the similarities end. It is a much more insightful, compelling book, not nearly as depressing and turgid as Shuggie Bain and not pages and pages of bleak, bleak, bleak. It does have triggers like I posted earlier, but Betty is a real coming of age family drama. Shuggie Bain isn't in the same league.

Is it fiction or non fiction? Or like Shuggie Bain where its fiction but written with very first hand experience of the subject matter.
i would say the latter! similar to shuggie it’s based very closely on a family member of the author but obviously i would say some artistic licence has been taken (or i would hope so, with some of the revelations in it). i found it similar to shuggie tone-wise but betty has a lot more focus on nature (in particular) and reads like a magic fable in places (hard to explain but you’ll understand when you read it!)

It is like Shuggie Bain in the way you described above but that is where the similarities end. It is a much more insightful, compelling book, not nearly as depressing and turgid as Shuggie Bain and not pages and pages of bleak, bleak, bleak. It does have triggers like I posted earlier, but Betty is a real coming of age family drama. Shuggie Bain isn't in the same league.
I loved Shuggie 😂 so maybe its not for me. Ill give it a go anyway.