Book Club #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just saw Betty is available at my local library so will pick it up today!

@ordinaryjelly you easily convinced me here to join back in with the book club. The last few months I barely read anything but I’m excited to be back 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It is like Shuggie Bain in the way you described above but that is where the similarities end. It is a much more insightful, compelling book, not nearly as depressing and turgid as Shuggie Bain and not pages and pages of bleak, bleak, bleak. It does have triggers like I posted earlier, but Betty is a real coming of age family drama. Shuggie Bain isn't in the same league.
I wasn't going to bother reading it but now you've said this I'm considering it 🙈

I’m on chapter 5 right now so not that far in but wow. I’m reading the Dutch translation as it’s my native language and it was the only copy available at my library but I’m blown away by how amazingly it has been translated. I’m truly captivated

• Heart
Reactions: 2
@Caffeine Fiend are you able to edit the post to add a poll so we can find the best book of our book club, I have no idea if that is even possible? And make it so that we can see who voted so I can weed out any non-participants, please?

Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

The Club by Ellery Lloyd

LA Bit of a Stretch by Chris Atkins

The Paper Palace by by Miranda Cowley Heller

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Gamus

Blood Sugar by Sasha Rothchild

Two Nights in Lisbon by Chris Pavone

You made a fool of Death with your Beauty by Akwaeke Emezi

The Herd by Emily Edwards

Every Summer After by Carley Fortune

Tomorow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Betty by Tiffany McDaniel

Reactions: 1
Sorry I meant to reply to this. No its too late I cant :(

I am happy to help count up though if previous participants wish to just make a comment with their favourite. I can do a tally chart on excel no problems.

Even if we say vote via commente between x and y date.

If we do it as comments its less likely we will have people commenting who havent taken part.

It's ok. I can do the excel but thank you for the offer of help.

Ok, let's say we'll do it closer to the end of the month and maybe let it run about 10 days into March to give everyone chance to see, then have people just comment with only the book title in a post and no other comment.

• Heart
It's ok. I can do the excel but thank you for the offer of help.

Ok, let's say we'll do it closer to the end of the month and maybe let it run about 10 days into March to give everyone chance to see, then have people just comment with only the book title in a post and no other comment.
No problem, didnt want to take over just incase you wanted a hand. 😊

• Heart
I’m regretting not buying this when it was 99p. I have an Audible credit I might use for it but will see as more reviews come in, seems like something I’d enjoy

I highlighted so many quotes in this book but think this was my favourite:

"When I was your age, I wanted to be someone else too"

"Who'd you wanna be, Dad?"

"Someone important. You know why I call you Little Indian? So that you know you're already someone important"

• Heart
I havent even started it yet 🙈 going between 2 books at the moment which I am hoping to get finished this weekend.

I’m only 13% of the way through and reckon it’ll take me a while to get through it. It doesn’t feel like a quick page turner to me - these slow burn drama books generally turn out to be good stories but aren’t the quick pace that I normally favour.

I’m 15% theough but should definitely make inroads this weekend. I’m enjoying it so far. Reading it with my morning latte.
So fra, I’m liking it, a lot.

Finished! I’m exhausted. Devastated. I may never recover tbh.

Isn't it some book?

So much hope, so much pain. So hard to read. So magical, so hard to read. I don't think I will ever forget Betty.
I wasn’t expecting the twist at the end re Leland! It was haunting a read from start to finish. Truly stunning

Took me a while to get into but then I got to a point and was like fuuuuuccccckkkkkkkk. Read in the bath for about an hour!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.