Beyond skincare - cosmetic gadgets and procedures

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have the GHD Glide, and I use it a lot. My hair is naturally very fine and limp, so I don't get much volume with it (I get a bit)- but it's good for when I don't want to do full-on straightening, and it's quicker too. The thing I have noticed is that if I go out in damp air afterwards my hair loses more sleekness than it does when I've straightened it, but it could be that I'm just not using the right products with it. You have to use it on dry hair in case that's not clear.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone used a heated hair brush with good results? I’ve had my eye on the GHD Glide for ages but never taken the plunge because I’m low maintenance with my hair.

However, I would love to find the holy grail styler which would leave my hair smooth and lightly waved at the end.
How does this differ from the various BaByLiss hot brushes?

It's flat, like a paddle brush, and it doesn't rotate.
Thanks - I've just seen above that's it's for use on dry hair. (For some reason my page doesn't properly refresh until after I've posted!) I thought I could use it instead of a hairdryer.

I've started using my Babyliss Big Hair without rotating recently. I haven't had a haircut since before the March lockdown and now it's a lot longer, the rotation can lead to the brush getting tangled if i don't have my wits about me. Which is quite often.

I find washing and drying my hair a massive chore and stretch it out as long as possible. I think 10 days was my record - it didn't look greasy but my scalp itched.

Reactions: 2
No way would I use castor oil on my eyelashes. Using kind of any oil near my eyes would make my eyes puff up
I'll be honest, castor oil has worked (surprisingly) great for my eyebrows but not really noticed any difference to my eyelashes.

I'll be honest, castor oil has worked (surprisingly) great for my eyebrows but not really noticed any difference to my eyelashes.
That's good to know! I think for it to work on your eyelashes it would need to get into the roots, that's where Revitalash and Rapidlash are applied

Has anyone used a heated hair brush with good results? I’ve had my eye on the GHD Glide for ages but never taken the plunge because I’m low maintenance with my hair.

However, I would love to find the holy grail styler which would leave my hair smooth and lightly waved at the end.
If you want any movement in your hair - e.g. lightly waved at the end - I think you'd be better with a heated roller brush rather than a heated flat brush.

I've recently rediscovered a heated roller brush I hadn't used for ages and it's working brilliantly for what I want - which is to smooth my (shoulder length) hair, do a little flick-up at the end and do it quickly. I rough dry my hair about 95% dry and then use the brush.

The Light Salon Boost and Current Body are both the FaceLite, simply rebadged. They look identical apart from superficial markings. They're the home use version manufactured by the makers of Omnilux professional machines which have accreditation in the US. Andy Millward talked about it a while ago but i can't find that exact post. This article gives some info.
I've found it - not a post but a 14 minute IG video. He talks about the strength of the LED bulbs, wavelength, ATP production. Facelite say 3x 10 minute home sessions are equivalent to one salon Omnilux treatment.

That's exactly how I described what I needed a few years ago. A hairdresser friend introduced me to what she calls the magic brush. It's the Remington Keratin Therapy. It smoothes the hair and you can also use it to put waves into the hair. Unlike ghds it won't cause that cycle where you need to keep using it to make your hair look decent. It's good value too and often on offer. I paid 33 pounds for mine.

• Heart
That's exactly how I described what I needed a few years ago. A hairdresser friend introduced me to what she calls the magic brush. It's the Remington Keratin Therapy. It smoothes the hair and you can also use it to put waves into the hair. Unlike ghds it won't cause that cycle where you need to keep using it to make your hair look decent. It's good value too and often on offer. I paid 33 pounds for mine.
Thank you! This sounds very promising indeed 💁‍♀️

Angie (HotandFlashy) has posted on YouTube a rave review for an IPL hair/dark spot remover called Kenzzi IPL. Very impressive looking results, particularly on dark spots.

I wish they would hurry up and invent the device that works on blonde hairs. I’ve got a Philips Lumea and it changed my life especially on my bikini line. I haven’t used it in over 2 years and I still hardly get any hairs on my legs, the ones that do come through are very patchy and always soft, they never feel stubbly. I should really start using it again to get rid of the few that are left. But I have some blonde hairs on my face that look kind of dark but when you put them on a piece of paper they are actually a very light brown to blonde, can’t shift them!

Reactions: 5
Thanks to a tip-off from @GTL Old-Timer, I got a Nuface Mini for about half price the other day, and I’ve just tried it for the first time. What I’m not sure about is how slowly I should be dragging it? I’m going very slowly right now.

Also, if I wanted to wash off the gel afterwards and apply my usual skincare, would that be ok, or are you meant to leave your face alone for a bit?

Ok, so I have fine lines/crow's feets, am only 36 and had them years. I know it's just the way my face creases when I smile, but they really get me down. Have considered Botox, but would be terrified that I'd end up frozen!

Ok, so I have fine lines/crow's feets, am only 36 and had them years. I know it's just the way my face creases when I smile, but they really get me down. Have considered Botox, but would be terrified that I'd end up frozen!
Honestly you won’t! They usually under dose for the first appointment and tell you to call in a fortnight if you need a top up. And if you don’t like it it’ll wear off.

Also make sure it’s not just because you’re dehydrated. Use a good hydrating serum for at least a month. If you still feel you need a little help, then pick up the phone for some Botox.

Thanks to a tip-off from @GTL Old-Timer, I got a Nuface Mini for about half price the other day, and I’ve just tried it for the first time. What I’m not sure about is how slowly I should be dragging it? I’m going very slowly right now.

Also, if I wanted to wash off the gel afterwards and apply my usual skincare, would that be ok, or are you meant to leave your face alone for a bit?
Did it not come with an instruction manual? If not, try YouTube.

I wish they would hurry up and invent the device that works on blonde hairs. I’ve got a Philips Lumea and it changed my life especially on my bikini line. I haven’t used it in over 2 years and I still hardly get any hairs on my legs, the ones that do come through are very patchy and always soft, they never feel stubbly. I should really start using it again to get rid of the few that are left. But I have some blonde hairs on my face that look kind of dark but when you put them on a piece of paper they are actually a very light brown to blonde, can’t shift them!
Have you thought about getting them threaded? Or that procedure with the needle? Sorry - can’t remember what it’s called at the moment!

——

Where’s @SqualorVictoria when you need her?! Your NuFace expertise is required, please!

Last edited:
Yes, there was a manual, but it just said to stop when you hear the beep, and even going veeeerrrry sloooowly i had finished that bit before the next beep. I may be overthinking it 😀.

I glide it up with a bit of pressure (as if lifting the skin upwards) and then when I reach the end of my jaw or whatever I hold until the beep sounds. You can hold for one or two beeps. Don't be afraid to be a bit firm, it's all about the lift and hold

As for the gel, I just wash it off straightaway when I'm done and proceed with my normal skincare

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.