Beauty treatments in Lockdown

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When you say Laser Hair Removal yourself do you use a IPL type device and what would you recommend ? Ive been tempted to save for an ipl machine but then it seems you still have to shave as often so it sort of defeats purpose for me?
I had professional laser treatments done (3 sessions) and was so shocked and happy with the amazing results, but it was so expensive and I had to travel to Manchester every few weeks so after a lot of research I bought this one. I got it from Boots last year when they had an offer on and it gave me loads of boots advantage points. I was a bit anxious parting with so much money but I’ve not regretted it. I used to shave 3 times a week and more if I had a night out or it was summer as I’m so hairy and have dark coloured thick hair (I would even shave my face once a fornight). But now I can go 10+ days without shaving but I’ve not even finished my course. You’re meant to do it every 2 weeks, 6 times and then only once every few months to maintain it but I’m not the best at sticking to schedules 🙈. Since lockdown I’ve stuck to it and I’m so happy. My underarms hair has practically gone, I’ve not shaved them for weeks. It’s just the bikini area and arms that are still growing (I put a lower setting on the bikini area so it’s why that takes longer for the hair to stop growing). You can go halves with a friend and share the machine to share the cost. My sister has borrowed mine a few times but I wouldn’t share it with more than one person as the laser eventually wear out or becomes less effective after so many uses. Sorry for the long post but hope it’s helpful. Let me know if you want to know anything else about it or laser hair removal in general.

Attachments

Reactions: 1
I had professional laser treatments done (3 sessions) and was so shocked and happy with the amazing results, but it was so expensive and I had to travel to Manchester every few weeks so after a lot of research I bought this one. I got it from Boots last year when they had an offer on and it gave me loads of boots advantage points. I was a bit anxious parting with so much money but I’ve not regretted it. I used to shave 3 times a week and more if I had a night out or it was summer as I’m so hairy and have dark coloured thick hair (I would even shave my face once a fornight). But now I can go 10+ days without shaving but I’ve not even finished my course. You’re meant to do it every 2 weeks, 6 times and then only once every few months to maintain it but I’m not the best at sticking to schedules 🙈. Since lockdown I’ve stuck to it and I’m so happy. My underarms hair has practically gone, I’ve not shaved them for weeks. It’s just the bikini area and arms that are still growing (I put a lower setting on the bikini area so it’s why that takes longer for the hair to stop growing). You can go halves with a friend and share the machine to share the cost. My sister has borrowed mine a few times but I wouldn’t share it with more than one person as the laser eventually wear out or becomes less effective after so many uses. Sorry for the long post but hope it’s helpful. Let me know if you want to know anything else about it or laser hair removal in general.
Does it hurt???

Does it hurt???
The professional one I had done at a clinic did (this was 8 years ago though, think they’re more developed and advanced now). But the one I’ve bought for at home last year doesn’t. I’ve got a good pain threshold so I don’t think it does but some people find it slightly painful in some areas like the Bikini area but you can choose the level, I use the highest level everywhere with no problem then the next level down for the Bikini area. It’s definitely not as painful as waxing. Nadine Baggott on youtube has done a full review on the Phillips one on her youtube channel and if I remember correctly she actually uses it in her video so you can see she doesn’t even flinch or anything. She’s the type to be honest and tell her viewers straight if a treatment or product she uses is painful.

The professional one I had done at a clinic did (this was 8 years ago though, think they’re more developed and advanced now). But the one I’ve bought for at home last year doesn’t. I’ve got a good pain threshold so I don’t think it does but some people find it slightly painful in some areas like the Bikini area but you can choose the level, I use the highest level everywhere with no problem then the next level down for the Bikini area. It’s definitely not as painful as waxing. Nadine Baggott on youtube has done a full review on the Phillips one on her youtube channel and if I remember correctly she actually uses it in her video so you can see she doesn’t even flinch or anything. She’s the type to be honest and tell her viewers straight if a treatment or product she uses is painful.
Thank you lovely 💜 I epilate the lower half of my legs and can cope with the pain there but no where else. I can sometimes get a reaction when I shave my bikini line and I have tried every trick going to stop that and also make it last a bit longer in between shaves but nothing seems to work. Think I will wait until I'm back at work to purchase one (I'm furloughed atm) but I definitely will be buying one as I'm at my wits end with shaving/epilating!!!

That’s really helpful. God I hate shaving my legs and even having to do them weekly drives me mad! Maybe I’ll invest in one x

• Heart
Yes, long sighted. May ask hubby to pluck eyebrows.......

Will have a look at facial epilators, thanks
🌙

Morning all, I finally had delivered the facial epilators, you lot are stars!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I have used it twice now and its really great, doing my tash was a bit eye watering.

My chin will need a few sessions but better already.

Reactions: 2
🌙

Morning all, I finally had delivered the facial epilators, you lot are stars!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I have used it twice now and its really great, doing my tash was a bit eye watering.

My chin will need a few sessions but better already.
Yay! I knew you’d prefer an epilator to shaving. It is amazing in terms of how long it lasts!

I’ve finally taken the plunge and ordered some acetone and a cuticle pusher so that I can remove my shellac toenail polish. It’s really irritating me now looking at the cuticle regrowth gap on my big toes! 😂

• Haha
It certainly is. My threading lady won't be able to feed herself anymore.

• Haha
I used to get my eyebrows waxed every 3 weeks at £15 and get shellac nails done every 3/4 weeks at £25! Occasionally got my eyelashes lifted and tinted and that was another £30.

Since being in lockdown I've been doing my own eyebrows (not difficult just time consuming... I have high maintenance brows that grow out really quickly!) and have invested in my own gel nail lamp kit off ebay for £50 altogether.. I will never again pay to have my nails done professionally when its so much easier and cheaper to do at home!

I am however missing my lash lifts and tints. Has anyone tried one of those home kits off ebay/amazon? I'm a bit skeptical of attempting to do it myself with these chemicals... knowing me I'd probably accidentally get it in my eye and blind myself! Some things might be better off left to the professionals.

I also cannot wait to have my hair cut!

I used to get my eyebrows waxed every 3 weeks at £15 and get shellac nails done every 3/4 weeks at £25! Occasionally got my eyelashes lifted and tinted and that was another £30.

Since being in lockdown I've been doing my own eyebrows (not difficult just time consuming... I have high maintenance brows that grow out really quickly!) and have invested in my own gel nail lamp kit off ebay for £50 altogether.. I will never again pay to have my nails done professionally when its so much easier and cheaper to do at home!

I am however missing my lash lifts and tints. Has anyone tried one of those home kits off ebay/amazon? I'm a bit skeptical of attempting to do it myself with these chemicals... knowing me I'd probably accidentally get it in my eye and blind myself! Some things might be better off left to the professionals.

I dye/tint my own eyelashes (see my post on this thread) and coming from someone who is clumsy, I’ve managed it for years without blinding myself 🤣
I refuse to pay $10-20 for it each time at a salon.

I tint my own eyelashes, using rectofil. I am the clumiest oaf going so I smear loads of vaseline around my eye so if (when) I get tint on my skin it just wipes away. I apply it using a small angled brush and then go through with a spoolie.

Not tried the lift kits, as I think that is too chemically for me to do. I keep seeing an ad on fb for a lash lift and the models eyes look really swollen 😬

I made a spur of the moment decision to get one of those lash lift kits after seeing an ad on Instagram. Had it sitting in my drawer for ages as I was worried I’d end up going blind and was picturing myself having to tell everyone I’d gone blind purely because I used a lash lift kit off amazon 😂 Ended up plucking up the courage one day. It took soooo long to do as you have to do one eye at a time. The result was alright, no where near as good as when I’ve had them lifted professionally, but it did make a bit of a difference. It didn’t make my eyes swell or damage my lashes in any way but I’ve decided not to bother again as it was too much effort for very minimal gain, which probably only lasted a week or so, and I’m just too lazy basically 😂 if you’re hoping for a salon quality lash lift I’d save your money and time tbh and it’ll be even sweeter when you can go and get them done again!

Reactions: 2
I currently have a graduated jaw length bob like my avatar but during lockdown it’s started growing out and I think I want to get something like this done when I can finally get my hair cut.
3C7FAEDE-F0DB-459A-9907-B438D8E47A77.jpeg

Reactions: 4
My hairs grown wild, and my skin went haywire for some reason so now I'm on antibiotics 🤷😕
The only real thing I'm doing is my nails. My actual nails are really weak and break, so I usually get gels with extensions. I've got a small led lamp so bought a few bits off amazon. I'm using builder gel to make them harder, and they've grown really long! I tend to either paint them one solid colour, or do white tips... Don't think I'll go back to the salon in July tbh.
Well, not for my nails. I'll need a bloody facial to sort my face out 🤣

My hairs grown wild, and my skin went haywire for some reason so now I'm on antibiotics 🤷😕
The only real thing I'm doing is my nails. My actual nails are really weak and break, so I usually get gels with extensions. I've got a small led lamp so bought a few bits off amazon. I'm using builder gel to make them harder, and they've grown really long! I tend to either paint them one solid colour, or do white tips... Don't think I'll go back to the salon in July tbh.
Well, not for my nails. I'll need a bloody facial to sort my face out 🤣
I've also been doing my own gel nails in lockdown and amazed at how easy it is! I will never pay to have my nails done ever again!
One thing I will say is it is so difficult to get off when its time to redo them. What have you been using? I've bought some acetone, and soak them but find it still takes sooo long. Any tips!?

I've also been doing my own gel nails in lockdown and amazed at how easy it is! I will never pay to have my nails done ever again!
One thing I will say is it is so difficult to get off when its time to redo them. What have you been using? I've bought some acetone, and soak them but find it still takes sooo long. Any tips!?
Half a cotton pad soaked in acetone. Wrap that over the nail, wrap that in kitchen foil. And wait about 40 mins and it should just wipe off. I think heat works as well so a hit water bottle in a towel over your nails should help. Plus a perfect excuse to sit and watch the tv as your hands are out of action!

Half a cotton pad soaked in acetone. Wrap that over the nail, wrap that in kitchen foil. And wait about 40 mins and it should just wipe off. I think heat works as well so a hit water bottle in a towel over your nails should help. Plus a perfect excuse to sit and watch the tv as your hands are out of action!
ETA how do you manage to paint your nails using your non-dominant hand? My left one looks acceptable
My right hand looks like a 2 year old has done it.

I’m a beauty therapist and do lash lifts, I’d really advise against the home kits! There are so many chemicals in the solutions, there’s a real risk of irritation/swelling etc if you get it in your eyes!

I’ve been shaving instead of waxing and using hair growth serum seeing as I haven’t had a cut for ages and I’m growing it... I usually have my nails done every two weeks and I can’t believe how damaged they were when I took it off after lockdown! At the moment I’m putting a strengthening treatment on them once a week and they’re looking loads better already.

ETA how do you manage to paint your nails using your non-dominant hand? My left one looks acceptable
My right hand looks like a 2 year old has done it.
ill give it a go I’ve only been soaking them for 5 minutes, I obviously haven’t been patient enough!!

The answer to that is verrrrryyy slowly and carefully I guess 😂 my one hand is always neater than the other! Think the trick is to do as thin coats as possible