BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Robert Elms again discussing house moving as he chats to an architect. He’s complaining about the designs of many of the properties he’s been viewing. He also lets us know that he wears the same style and brand of underwear every day. Thankfully he stopped short of telling us the expensive brand although he has done so in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Robert Elms again talking about downsizing and asking people to call in to say what they regret throwing out. Said again he might be moving, but not to worry, it will still be in London. Shame they won’t be able to rent out their house for filming if they move. 😬 His wife trained as an architect and is now a photographer, as well as all the other skills she apparently taught herself while on lockdown. 😏
Yes, I heard some of his show on Saturday. On his show yesterday he was commenting on the poor design of many places he was viewing. I'm sure his wife will make sure they don't lose out on location fees when they move, even if it's a small property there will be a corner where a sustainable fashion label can shoot a floaty frock, the model leaning on a modernist table with a rough-hewn vessel & twig arrangement atop.

EDIT: sorry @Mustard I replied to your message #140 before I saw message #141 But funny that we noted the same thing!

Yes, I heard some of his show on Saturday. On his show yesterday he was commenting on the poor design of many places he was viewing. I'm sure his wife will make sure they don't lose out on location fees when they move, even if it's a small property there will be a corner where a sustainable fashion label can shoot a floaty frock, the model leaning on a modernist table with a rough-hewn vessel & twig arrangement atop.
Even though I’m critiquing him, I do like him. I always listen back to Saturday’s show on the Sounds App as I like to watch Saturday Kitchen. Wouldn’t be surprised if they rent out the Suffolk cottage for shoots as well. It’s very heavily styled but looks a nice place to stay.
I haven’t read any of Robert’s books yet but would like to. I remember a few years after he started on BBC London/GLR, around 1999/2000 (I remember when this was as I was working at home at that time) he was talking about clothes and mentioned that be had just bought a pair of trousers for circa £280. I do not remember what the brand was but I thought it was really tacky to mention the price. That was a lot of money back then. It was as if he was announcing that he had arrived somehow. Shades of Jo Good. I hadn’t been able to listen to him before then as I was always at work during his broadcast time. Vanessa had a phone in programme then.

I really miss old style GLR.

Last edited:
Even though I’m critiquing him, I do like him. I always listen back to Saturday’s show on the Sounds App as I like to watch Saturday Kitchen. Wouldn’t be surprised if they rent out the Suffolk cottage for shoots as well. It’s very heavily styled but looks a nice place to stay.
I haven’t read any of Robert’s books yet but would like to. I remember a few years after he started on BBC London/GLR, around 1999/2000 (I remember when this was as I was working at home at that time) he was talking about clothes and mentioned that be had just bought a pair of trousers for circa £280. I do not remember what the brand was but I thought it was really tacky to mention the price. That was a lot of money back then. It was as if he was announcing that he had arrived somehow. Shades of Jo Good. I hadn’t been able to listen to him before then as I was always at work during his broadcast time. Vanessa had a phone in programme then.

I really miss old style GLR.
Yes, I like Robert Elms. I listen to his Saturday show live as I'm usually cleaning or out walking or driving. I've read The Way We Wore and London Made Us, both of which I enjoyed. I feel as if I've read or heard most of his tales now so I couldn't imagine being too interested in another memoir-type book from him, I think we all know by now that he was everywhere and wore everything before anyone 🤣. It certainly is tacky to mention the exact price of something in such circumstances, it could only be to big-note oneself, it's a shame he feels the need to do so.

Yes, I like Robert Elms. I listen to his Saturday show live as I'm usually cleaning or out walking or driving. I've read The Way We Wore and London Made Us, both of which I enjoyed. I feel as if I've read or heard most of his tales now so I couldn't imagine being too interested in another memoir-type book from him, I think we all know by now that he was everywhere and wore everything before anyone 🤣. It certainly is tacky to mention the exact price of something in such circumstances, it could only be to big-note oneself, it's a shame he feels the need to do so.
He still makes it known that he buys made to measure suits and handmade shoes with no trainers allowed on his feet. I think his underwear, T-shirts and polo shirts are all Sunspel. I just saw that Paul Weller has
collaborated with them.
FBAA4795-0EA6-454E-8456-5C19B8A16611.jpeg
18D18407-1853-4CA1-BD60-6D948E22FFB6.jpeg

Attachments

BBC Radio London right now, Is this a joke?

Vanessa finishing at 9am for a one-hour "special show" of stale replays of Make A Difference, music celebs meeting local heroes. I know the pandemic is still on but this all seems very old now and cringingly self-congratulatory. Robert Elms should be worried, I am sure most will be tuning out and mightn't find their way back.

BBC Radio London right now, Is this a joke?

Vanessa finishing at 9am for a one-hour "special show" of stale replays of Make A Difference, music celebs meeting local heroes. I know the pandemic is still on but this all seems very old now and cringingly self-congratulatory. Robert Elms should be worried, I am sure most will be tuning out and mightn't find their way back.
I’m not listening to her right now for the past couple of weeks nor to whoever her predecessor is. It’s normally Jason Rosam but he’s relentlessly and annoyingly cheerful with his guess what bird this is....I started to tune into Steve Allen at about 4/5 am if I’m awake. Don’t mind ‘some’ of Dotun Adebayo’s output but nothing football related. His Sunday on programme is sometimes listenable. The radio does ease me back to sleep.

Last edited:
The Make a Difference hour long inserts are relentless. They are inserted into every BBC local radio slots between 2100 and 2200 hours this week. Is it to save money because then they don’t have to pay their presenters for a 2 hr normal slot?

The Make a Difference hour long inserts are relentless. They are inserted into every BBC local radio slots between 2100 and 2200 hours this week. Is it to save money because then they don’t have to pay their presenters for a 2 hr normal slot?
It is so depressing and repetitious. It must be to save money. It would be interesting to know if their contracts allowed their fees to be adjusted in that way, it's like being on a zero hours contract, no pay no play.

I won't listen to Steve Allen anymore, he's just too creepy in too many ways. I catch the last 10 mins of his show sometimes before Nick Ferrari, LBC should be embarrassed to have him at that time on their schedule with his 20th century style show, turning pages, slurping and repeating the last few words of every sentence, the last few words of every sentence.

It is so depressing and repetitious. It must be to save money. It would be interesting to know if their contracts allowed their fees to be adjusted in that way, it's like being on a zero hours contract, no pay no play.

I won't listen to Steve Allen anymore, he's just too creepy in too many ways. I catch the last 10 mins of his show sometimes before Nick Ferrari, LBC should be embarrassed to have him at that time on their schedule with his 20th century style show, turning pages, slurping and repeating the last few words of every sentence, the last few words of every sentence.
steve Allen sends me back to sleep very quickly. He’s very new to me and his style of broadcasting rather ‘interesting’ I would say.

On BBC Radio London now is Life’s Second Chances, about people who have recovered from Covid 19, interspersed with music. I’ve definitely heard this before. The Make a Difference Heroes Meet aired twice yesterday.

On BBC Radio London now is Life’s Second Chances, about people who have recovered from Covid 19, interspersed with music. I’ve definitely heard this before. The Make a Difference Heroes Meet aired twice yesterday.
BBC Radio London has the vibe of a store having a closing down sale while trying to pretend it's business as usual.

EDIT: Nick Ferrari is talking about dog theft at the moment.

BBC Radio London has the vibe of a store having a closing down sale while trying to pretend it's business as usual.

EDIT: Nick Ferrari is talking about dog theft at the moment.
Yes, it does sound like that. Same programme going out across all the local radio stations I can get on Freeview.

I’ve been listening to Nick Ferrari too. The amount of dog theft now is frightening.

I’ve been listening to Nick Ferrari too. The amount of dog theft now is frightening.
It is terrible. I am still shocked to see people leave their dogs tied up outside when they go in to a shop.

My OH was yelled at by a woman when he came out of a supermarket a while back, he stopped to put his earbuds in and while doing so looked down at a little Maltese that was tied up outside when a woman who'd been waiting yelled at him for leaving his dog tied up outside, he should be ashamed etc. She was of course embarrassed when he explained it wasn't his dog but he let her know he thought she was doing a good thing but should be careful as the owner might not take kindly to being approached in that way.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
It is terrible. I am still shocked to see people leave their dogs tied up outside when they go in to a shop.

My OH was yelled at by a woman when he came out of a supermarket a while back, he stopped to put his earbuds in and while doing so looked down at a little Maltese that was tied up outside when a woman who'd been waiting yelled at him for leaving his dog tied up outside, he should be ashamed etc. She was of course embarrassed when he explained it wasn't his dog but he let her know he thought she was doing a good thing but should be careful as the owner might not take kindly to being approached in that way.
Does sound like the woman was waiting to have a word with the owner. It is possible that some people aren’t aware of the amount of dog theft around.

Does sound like the woman was waiting to have a word with the owner. It is possible that some people aren’t aware of the amount of dog theft around.
Yes, she was certainly waiting to have a word with the owner, I find it amazing that people aren't aware of dog theft, I thought everyone was on high alert nowadays, I now feel uncomfortable asking anyone about their dog like I used to do, in case they think I am sizing them up or stalking them.

BBC Radio London now. Robert Elms doing Prince Philip is excruciating, he should've phoned in sick knowing what the programme would be today.

BBC Radio London now. Robert Elms doing Prince Philip is excruciating, he should've phoned in sick knowing what the programme would be today.
I heard an earlier bit. He said his daughters had both done the DoE scheme but that his son hadn’t. Will attempt to listen later in Sounds app😉.

I heard an earlier bit. He said his daughters had both done the DoE scheme but that his son hadn’t. Will attempt to listen later in Sounds app😉.
I've tuned out. It's been over 24 hours since the announcement of Prince Philip's death, I feel there's nothing more to hear for the time being.

I've tuned out. It's been over 24 hours since the announcement of Prince Philip's death, I feel there's nothing more to hear for the time being.
He’s been given another hour.
I watched some of the TV coverage earlier and liked some of the historians/authors they interviewed where I learned something I didn’t know.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.