Barbie movie

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not sure it was ever going to win any awards, was it? Other than for most/best use of pink?

Doesn't matter, so long as it entertained most people and made the film company a ton of money so they can make more!

Reactions: 1
Not one nomination?
to be honest I don’t think it deserved it
It won Cinematic and Box Office achievement (made up) and Best Original Song. Their best chance of an acting win is Ryan Gosling, but Robert Downey Jr is front runner in that category

Yeah I liked the visuals but didn't particularly care for the plot anyway!

The people on X who are angry that Margot didn’t get an Oscar nom need to get real, it wasn’t an Oscar worthy performance. America is only nominated because of that cheesy monologue

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Oh come on 🙄
It was too long, boring subplots with the Mattel boardroom and America. I’m not sure if Greta tried to make it have more of a story to appeal to families, but a lot of it would go over kids’ heads anyway. It also has some lines in it that aren’t appropriate for kids so it couldn’t be a kids movie anyway. She should have just made it for millennial women who actually grew up with Barbie and poor body image- this generation is much more progressive and body positive

Attachments

Reactions: 2
I liked the Barbie movie, I think Greta should have got a nomination for her directing however I don’t think Margo deserves an actress nomination (maybe producer) she has done much better roles that deserved the recognition for her acting.

I get the upset people have though, as nominating Ryan for an acting role is literally the whole
Point of the movie, the patriarchy and women not getting recognised.

If Ryan got a damn nomination for his role then Margot sure as hell Should have as well.

Just to be clear- i dont think any of them had an oscar worthy performance, they have done much better work acting wise

Reactions: 5
If he’d got a nom for best actor I’d understand the furore, but he didn’t, it’s for best supporting actor. I get that the optics aren’t good but they’re not comparable nominations.

Reactions: 3
It was a good movie and I did enjoy it, but it was not Oscar worthy imo.

The people on X who are angry that Margot didn’t get an Oscar nom need to get real, it wasn’t an Oscar worthy performance. America is only nominated because of that cheesy monologue
I watched it last night.

There is no way this film should be getting any Oscar nominations. It's just a pink piece of preachy nonsense.

Reactions: 11
I watched it last night.

There is no way this film should be getting any Oscar nominations. It's just a pink piece of preachy nonsense.
It had some good elements and feminist commentary. I expected a bit cleverer on feminist issues from Greta Gerwig- a lot of boring filler :)

I find the praise for this movie and particularly America’s monologue really bizarre because her whole tirade is only true for women still trying to exist in a way that pleases men. The whole “you have to be this, but can’t be that, we have to look like this, but can’t do that” really only exists in a realm that you’re trying to fit in with/appease men. There are many many feminist lesbians who do not fit the current beauty standard, who make no effort to do so, who make no excuses or apologies for just being themselves and they are perfectly happy existing outside the framework of needing men’s approval in any way. I watched Barbie and I watched that whole speech and not one sentence of it resonated with me. Who says you have to be thin but not too thin? And even if they did say that, it would only matter if your aim is to appear attractive to them. You have to be a mum but not talk about your kids too much. According to whom? Don’t talk to people about things they’re not interested in. Problem solved. Talk about your kids to people who care about you and by extension care about your family. That’s not gonna be everyone and that’s ok. I don’t wanna hear about my work colleagues’ kids either. Don’t give a tit tbh.

I really felt like the whole movie tried to champion a feminist narrative but the uplifting moment and speech was only true or relevant if you’re living your life wanting to be attractive to men or accepted by men. Maybe I’ve lived a very sheltered and boring life but even “you’ve got to have money, but you can’t ask for money”. Like… when has that ever been said? And unless it’s someone whose opinion and thoughts your value, why would you give a duck if someone either thought that or said it to you?

I didn’t hate the movie. I actually thought it was funny. Ryan Gosling made me laugh a lot. But it was about as deep as a puddle and it concerns me that so many young ladies found it groundbreaking and really thought provoking.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I didn’t hate the movie. I actually thought it was funny. Ryan Gosling made me laugh a lot. But it was about as deep as a puddle and it concerns me that so many young ladies found it groundbreaking and really thought provoking.

Ironically it was the male characters I liked the most. Loved the Ken's. Poor Alan. I even laughed at Will Ferrell and his board.

Reactions: 6
I dont think it deserved any nominations...Ryan Gosling or America Ferrera shouldn't have received nominations in my opinion.

I thought the movie was massively overhyped. I have never looked at my watch more during a movie. I had zero expectations going in and had not read anything about the plot.

The only thing I enjoyed were the outfits, sets and the music.

I think the only reason a lot of people went (including me) was for the nostalgia.

I find the praise for this movie and particularly America’s monologue really bizarre because her whole tirade is only true for women still trying to exist in a way that pleases men. The whole “you have to be this, but can’t be that, we have to look like this, but can’t do that” really only exists in a realm that you’re trying to fit in with/appease men. There are many many feminist lesbians who do not fit the current beauty standard, who make no effort to do so, who make no excuses or apologies for just being themselves and they are perfectly happy existing outside the framework of needing men’s approval in any way. I watched Barbie and I watched that whole speech and not one sentence of it resonated with me. Who says you have to be thin but not too thin? And even if they did say that, it would only matter if your aim is to appear attractive to them. You have to be a mum but not talk about your kids too much. According to whom? Don’t talk to people about things they’re not interested in. Problem solved. Talk about your kids to people who care about you and by extension care about your family. That’s not gonna be everyone and that’s ok. I don’t wanna hear about my work colleagues’ kids either. Don’t give a tit tbh.

I really felt like the whole movie tried to champion a feminist narrative but the uplifting moment and speech was only true or relevant if you’re living your life wanting to be attractive to men or accepted by men. Maybe I’ve lived a very sheltered and boring life but even “you’ve got to have money, but you can’t ask for money”. Like… when has that ever been said? And unless it’s someone whose opinion and thoughts your value, why would you give a duck if someone either thought that or said it to you?

I liked the film a lot but I agree on the monologue. I found it quite patronising.

America Ferrera’s role is simply not Oscar territory. That’s a huge ‘wtf?!’ To me.

Both Greta and Margot have received multiple noms in previous years, for better films, so I just don’t feel too sad for them.

Ryan was given the best part, nailed it, and was the best thing about the film so if anyone involved deserved a nom it’s him. And it’s unlikely he’s going to win so this isn’t a a big deal.

Reactions: 4
And another thing ...

Barbie's reply when asked about Ken. 'He's superfluous ' and the women laugh. No. That's not ok when all you're talking about is women being disrespected. It is addressed when Barbie apologises to Ken for taking him for granted but it just didn't sit right with me.

However, not all gloom and doom. I would love to go to Barbie's place for a party. That did look fun.

The only thing that is wrong is that America (who is a woman btw, just that we get the hilarity of the complains across) got nominated as well. She is a great actress but her role in this movie was annoying if anything.

The outrage over Gosling getting nominated is utterly crazy. And shows yet again that many many supposed feminist have lost their mind: it happens so often that a support role for a movie gets nominated but not a leading role. Where was the outrage there? Just because misandrist have decided that the Barbie movie is their little baby? (I'm not accusing the movie of being that btw, but unfortunately exactly these type of people have hyped this movie endlessly)

It is crazy rare that this type of movie gets any nomination in the big categories. That they got two should make everyone happy, and yet....

Reactions: 3
The only thing that is wrong is that America (who is a woman btw, just that we get the hilarity of the complains across) got nominated as well. She is a great actress but her role in this movie was annoying if anything.

The outrage over Gosling getting nominated is utterly crazy. And shows yet again that many many supposed feminist have lost their mind: it happens so often that a support role for a movie gets nominated but not a leading role. Where was the outrage there? Just because misandrist have decided that the Barbie movie is their little baby? (I'm not accusing the movie of being that btw, but unfortunately exactly these type of people have hyped this movie endlessly)

It is crazy rare that this type of movie gets any nomination in the big categories. That they got two should make everyone happy, and yet....
Don’t get me wrong I agree with you but I think the whole point is that it wasn’t meant to be ‘that type of movie’. It wasn’t meant to be a fun blockbuster. It was meant to be a cerebral feminist commentary with a bit of fun pink.
I personally thought it fell flat. Tried to be too many different things

Finally did the Barbie-Oppenheimer double today, and Barbie was the better movie. However, I don’t think either of them were amazing. I'm reminded of when Blur and Oasis released mediocre singles on the same day and both were more successful because of this...