Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SamBamford

My ex MiL disliked me from the off. One of the first things she asked of me was what could I steal from work that would be of use to them. They were a large family so if we were having them around for a meal I would ask who is also coming or how many should I be cooking for. She once told me it would just be her and the FiL but turned up with 6 random children who lived on her street to give them a treat. They stole items from the house which she found amusing and one of them crapped in our bed probably on her instructions. She was always singing the praises of a girl she worked with on how she would have made my ex a better wife than me. She would get my ex around and that girl would be there too and an affair began. When I threw him out the ex MiL said I was never going to keep him as I was punching above my weight and she was more suited to him.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 23

Elsass

Chatty Member
I'm not trying to be rude but maybe you should have this food with the nut oils and let them see you have a full on reaction and be rushed off to the hospital. They might be more understanding after!
Haha no they’re definitely not worth almost killing myself for...

• Haha
Reactions: 23

LT31514

My mother in law is Belgian, she lied to me and my husband for 5 years that she didn’t speak English until my parents came over to visit and she was practically fluent. All the times I’ve struggled making small talk in Dutch and she could easily have spoken English. That’s just the tip of the iceberg but something me and my husband still laugh about when she suddenly came out with “do you want a cup of tea?” 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22

KateESJ

VIP Member
my (now ex) in laws got angry at me because I didn't visit with my son on my MIL's birthday.
He'd literally just come out of hospital the day before after a round of chemo. I thought it would be a given that we wouldn't be there but I got a phone call later on in the day from MIL saying she was really disappointed and angry at me because she wanted to see her grandson on her birthday. I really shouldn't have been as surprised as I was, they were assholes

• Wow
  • Sad

I_mean_reaaaalllly

I have had quite shitty luck with MIL’s... on your my 2nd and she’s worse than the first!
First MIL ... I actually think she was in love with my ex and his brother. It was all verrrrry weird. An ex partner of hers told me (after I’d split with my ex)) that she used to tell him about how she felt sad to know he was married which meant he’d be having sex with another woman 😳😳😳😳 WTF!!! She also used to wash her other sons hair for him when he was in the bath.. he was 21.
My current MIL... where do I start. She’s a vindictive, spiteful nasty piece of work who blatantly favours her daughters children over ours.
When we got engaged she asked my husband if he’d meant to propose or was he drunk... despite him buying a ring months in advance and planning a holiday around the whole event.
When we got married, she got steaming drunk and proceeded to follow my mum around at the evening reception throwing abuse at her and was overheard in the toilets saying it would’ve have been such a nicer day had he married his ex..
When we finally announced our first pregnancy (after an ectopic pregnancy and IVF) she was very blasé and when asked what she’d like to be called.. nanna, gran etc, she replied ‘none, but it’s clearly gone too far for that now’...
My husband worked away for the first 6 months of our sons life and when we visited out of duty.. she asked if my husband had missed our son adding ‘I bet you’d have missed him more if he was a girl’..
Honestly, the list is endless but I’m currently on holiday, on a sun lounger next to my husband and can feel myself getting cross so I’m leaving it there!!!

• Wow
  • Angry
My Mil told my children and all the other grand children not to call her nan or gran but to call her Mum like my husband because she's too young to have grandchildren.... She's 53 😔

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 21

Itsallaboutmememe

Chatty Member
Not my in laws now-I adore them and worship them-they could shit on my floor and I’d still love them (they wouldn’t!)

but many moons ago I was with a dv partner (I lived with his mum,brother and him)
he made my life hell (I did walk away in the end)

I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my first-my waters broke early in the night and I made a mess of the bed (it really couldn’t be helped)

he snatched a glass milk bottle off the side,pinned me down,shoved it into me and told me he would smash it so I’d have to have a c-section

she stood in the doorway smirking at me screaming and him shouting
(he didn’t smash it in the end)

she refused to let me go to hospital-so my baby was born a day later than if I’d just gone in (while smirking saying I’d get an infection and we’d both die)

a few days later my milk came in and I was very full and very sore-I dared to disagree over a snake being cold blooded meant it had cold blood-it means they eat weekly not daily

i dared to disagree saying it meant they eat once a week not everyday

he leapt up,whacked me right on my boob and the old cow sat there smirking and told him not to do it as it would give me cancer

she tried to take over with my baby which really dented my confidence as a few mum-nothing I did was right-and she tried to have a fag in one hand my baby in the other

she took her to the shop without asking-leaving me to phone the police in a panic

she stole from me

she broke my pram by letting her golden grandkids sit in it

she would hide my babies bits and not let me use what I’d paid for

she once went on holiday and took my clothes rather than hers

she put my baby outside with no shade so she got sunstroke (I’d gone for a bath and my ex said he’d have her for an hour)

she broke my babies bath-and would wander in while I was in the bath myself

many many more stories about her but what really hurt is she walked away from her grandchildren and when my daughter saw her working in a supermarket years later she walked up to say hi and who she was-and was told to ’go away’ only not as politely

I’ve not spoken to that bitch in 20 years and if I ever see her again I’ll deck it

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

Sara_M

VIP Member
I always say I love my in-laws but I don't like them. 😁 They are completely different to my family and have very different ways to what I would consider the 'right' way. I've kind of just accepted now that they just have a different way of thinking and that's that. They are very generous to my husband and I, so I don't think anything has ever been done maliciously.
My stories...
My MIL can be a bit overbearing. When she heard my sister had given birth she rocked up to the hospital straight away. As only a limited number can visit at a time 2 of us had to wait outside (I was stupid and young, at the age of 22, and she just let my now-husband and I leave instead of leaving herself!!) My sister had only met her a handful of times!

Then at our wedding she wanted to invite the world. People who I had never met. People who my husband may have met maybe a couple of times.

My SIL didn't like the bridesmaids' dresses I had chosen (my sister and brother's wife on the other hand had no problem and respected my wishes!)

There are more I'm sure but I think these are the worst 🙄
Sound like my MIL!
She photocopied our evening invites (literally, a black and white photocopy on paper) and passed them out to everyone she met. Which is ironic really because she hated the fact her baby was marrying me.
She also arrived at the hospital unannounced, a few hours after our baby was born, with 2 of her friends that i had never met!! Very traumatic, complicated delivery ending in an emergency csection. I was a state, only wanting to be with my husband and in she comes with these strangers. My own mum hadnt even got to meet her grandchild yet!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

Rue Git Le Couer

Chatty Member
I cannot stand my mother in law and I have tried really hard to like her! She smokes like a chimney and constantly stinks which she then tries to cover with cheap perfume making it ten times worse!
When she comes to stay she never helps in the house and it takes me days to get rid of the smell after she’s gone. She also loves to give sly little digs about “in her day” 🙄
However the absolute worst thing about her is that she farts constantly. She either doesn’t know she’s doing it or just doesn’t care. I’ve told my husband to tell her off but he treats her like a china doll since she turns on the waterworks at the least little thing. It honestly revolts me.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
My mother in law and I have a great relationship now but it was very difficult at the beginning.
My husband was “her little boy” and I was taking him away from her.
we got engaged and went to tell her. She looked up from the tv and said oh really, to her, really then went back to watching tv 😂

At our wedding she invited a whole group of her friends without telling us and as a wedding present gave us an odd amount of cash. She proudly told us that she had taken money out for the balloons that she insisted we have at the reception.
20 odd years later I love the bones of that woman.
she’s proved her self to be a fantastic grandma and a really good friend to me. We laugh now about how she hated me and she still can’t explain why

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19

Thetruth123

VIP Member
My fiancé’s family are scum! He is one of 6 and they are all such wrong en’s . His sister has had 10 children and 6 have been taken into care!!! Now pregnant with number 11 and the dad is in his 60’s!! She is mid 30’s only has babies for money!!
Other brothers are all druggies in and out of prison. All stems from the parents abusive mentally and physically to them all as kids.

any way my fiancé and I have built a business from scratch, and we are doing so so well for our selves.
His mum and dad have been so jealous of this. As they never done it and his dad tried and failed many years ago.

they tried calling hmrc to say we were dodging corporation tax. That was a lie obviously and didn’t go any where.

then they called my work (local authoritie) to say I helped them commit benefit fraud!!!!! Because they got caught claiming and earning they tried to say I somehow wangled it!!! I don’t even work in that department!!!!!!!!

safe to say me and partner now have completely distanced ourselves from them !!!!! And our success in silence is the best revenge and other family members always say they always talk about us and slag us off for no reason other than jealousy!!

• Wow
Reactions: 19
My ex’s parents are taking me to court for access, despite me never stopping it and giving them as much as they want...
Their reason - pre-emptively addressing me stopping access because their son has decided he doesn’t want to see my daughter anymore.
10 grand later and still having pointless conversations via solicitors.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 17

freda19

VIP Member
Oh God, where to begin.
When we announced that we'd secured a mortgage on our first home and were moving in and getting married in 3 months my sis in law declared that we'd have to buy them a new living room suite and pay to have all their rooms redecorated ready for the guests who'd be popping in to their home with presents. Yeah right. We were furnishing our new home with used furniture ffs! :mad: Needless to say that idea was quashed.
Every Christmas my partner would get great presents, never anything less than £30 ... I would get something from the local equivilant of a pound shop and the item would be stickered £1. In fact one memorable set of two wine glases had 12 stickers ... I kid you not. 12 bright yellow £1 stickers in case I missed the point. Then one year I got a pair of pyjamas ! Wow! OK, they were size 18 and I was a size10/12 but still . Then I looked closer.The top had a stain on the collar, so I opened out the trousers. Two more yellow (yuck) stains on the front of them. I wouldn't even venture looking at the crotch. That was it, I went round to her house, handed her the pyjamas and sweetly said "Thanks for the gift but you'll need to return it to the shop and get a refund as someone has already worn these" Then I told her not to worry about gifts in future because we were stopping gifting family and donating to Trocaire on their behalf instead and would love them to follow suit as regards us. All with a sweet smile. So that was the end of that cycle of passive aggressive christmas gifts to me, although they still "popped in" with cigarettes and drink for my partner because as I was often jokingly told "He's been our brother longer than he's been your partner".

• Wow
  • Sad

Jg182

My MIL asked for some of our wedding pictures. So I printed some out for her, took them over. She sat flicked through them looking in disgust, then announced to my Husband “your ex girlfriend would have looked much better in these” and “Do I not think I could photoshop them abit”.

She also last time I saw her, gave me a pile of magazine articles she had ripped out all out how to loose weight. I have never mentioned wanting to loose weight to her

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad

Jade123

A load of randoms turned up on my wedding day. It was a big traditional sit-down wedding with a seating plan. Turns out my MIL had bought a cheap packet of wedding invites and invited her mates! LIVID. I’m still not over it, it’s been 8 years 😤

Sound like my MIL!
She photocopied our evening invites (literally, a black and white photocopy on paper) and passed them out to everyone she met. Which is ironic really because she hated the fact her baby was marrying me.
She also arrived at the hospital unannounced, a few hours after our baby was born, with 2 of her friends that i had never met!! Very traumatic, complicated delivery ending in an emergency csection. I was a state, only wanting to be with my husband and in she comes with these strangers. My own mum hadnt even got to meet her grandchild yet!
OMG I’m not the only one!!! This happened to me too - both wedding invites and hospital! Nightmare!

• Wow
  • Angry

AngryBird101

VIP Member
My ex boyfriends mum used to back him up when he battered me and she said I knew how to “push his buttons” and that really annoyed me because his dad used to batter her, I told her that she and his dad were the reason that he had turned out that way and that she chose to stay in that violent life due to the fact they had a nice big house and the father had good money, when my ex was 7 years old she asked him if she should leave his daddy! She also said “the next time he is kicking your door in then don’t phone the police, phone me”, she has no car and lived 40 mins away on a bus and the police station was around the corner from me, she also used to take him uptown and buy him something new the day after he been lifted for being violent with me!!!

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry

AngryBird101

VIP Member
I believe that MIL’s are better on their son-in-laws than they are with their daughters-in-law, I think some mothers are honestly jealous of their sons’ partners!

Reactions: 16

Hownowbrowncow

New member and loving this thread!
My mil has money and uses it like a carrot on a stick with my husband.
Before we had even had children she said she would not be one of "those Grandma's" who do childcare.
When my first was born she said she didn't want to be known as Nanny as she was not the hired help.
We told her we were thinking of moving 4 hours away to be close to my family (to the nanny who wants to help with childcare 😂) she offered to buy us a bigger house if we stayed. We now live 4 hours away in a static caravan!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16