Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Paxobeans

Chatty Member
I’m generally quite lucky but my MIL has developed a habit recently that I’m finding annoying...my little boy is 7 months old and has just started weaning. He has a dairy allergy so I’m careful with what I feed him and as he’s only 7 months I don’t feel he needs cake, biscuits etc. (People can feed their own children whatever they like, it’s just not something I do!) She just keeps going to give him cookies, cake, chocolate brownies without asking. Then when I say no she looks at me like I’m mad. I have to keep having the same conversation about how he might be allergic to it and that even if he isn’t I don’t want him to eat it!
My in-laws bought my little boy an advent calendar ONE WEEK into weaning, then called me a mean mummy for not letting him eat it 😳😂

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16

Sandra_1984

I'm so lucky mine are just simply lovely. Can't believe some of these...the licking plate one..... 😂

Reactions: 15

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Is it just me or is it something to do with mothers being jealous of their daughters in law for taking attention away from their son? You don't hear as many stories from fathers in law

• Heart

Shooz

My MIL is a 'qualified' psychologist, GP, paediatrician, meteorologist, lawyer and financial advisor who can provide unwanted expert opinions and advice on all subjects.
She also wonders why both her sons had so many 'accidents' when they were younger, now we see her with our LO, it's no bloody wonder!! She doesn't pay any attention to safety/have any common sense RE what's safe for a 2 YO to be around!! But it's ok 'cause she's done this twice before you know!'
A lot worse has happened but that's just a summary of the evil, opinionated old mare🤣

• Haha

GlennCoco

VIP Member
My friend's MiL is a nightmare. She got drunk the night before their wedding and got into an argument with her about how she was "stealing her boy" from her.
They had a baby a few years later and they found out they were having a girl. When my friend went into labour, the husband rung his mum to say what was going on. She asked if she could come to the hospital (she lived an hour and a half away) and he said no as there could only be him and my friend's mum there as birthing partners (pre-covid obviously). She then said she would just stay at their house until she could go to the hospital but my friend's husband said no, stay where you are as we dont know how long she will be in labour, or what will happen etc.
She turned up at the hospital anyway and rung my friend's husband so he left the room so he could chat to her and she said she was stood down the hall. So he went out to see her and got guilt tripped into letting her go into the room where my friend was having the worst contractions. But the midwives wouldnt let my friends husband back in until she left because it was only 2 people in. Apparently she made awkward conversation for 30 mins and then my friend's mum said that they had better let the husband back in (which the MiL took offense at).
So the husband then had to sort out getting her a key for their house and stuff because she decided she was staying over until the baby was here.
When the baby had been born and it was visiting hours, she turned up, took one look at the new baby and said "so when are you trying for a boy?"!!

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 14

ChloChlo

VIP Member
I've already shared the story of my second MIL who wore a ankle length white dress to our wedding. She kept showing me she was going to wear a black and red floral number but then turnt up in a long white frock. I was gobsmacked. Thank God it was an intimate Vegas wedding and it was only her and my ex husbands nephew as the guests! It ruined the photos though.

My first ex husband, his parents were generally quite nice to me and they would usually help others, his mum was a devout catholic and would shove it down my throat, deciding we HAD to get married at her local church with a catholic ceremony and invited about 50 of her church friends neither of us knew (I had to do these catholic marriage courses before I was allowed to marry him) - she was much of a hypocrite though and thought she could do what she wanted or judge people however she wanted and and a few hail Marys at night would be OK. They would always get completely sloshed every single night, often having blazing rows - we had to live with them for nearly a whole year while I was pregnant - my ex father in law, in a drunken rage once took a club hammer to his front brick wall in the middle of the night and destroyed the lot.

He had a sister who was a single mum and of course she was the princess who got whatever she wanted, she still called her parents mummy and daddy, she once borrowed my new GHDs and literally laughed about her child breaking them but didnt offer to replace them. He also had two kid brothers who were 10 and 12, they were both morbidly obese and I am talking heart attack tackle, I wasnt suprised. They lived off takeaways. Huge portions too. Every night. Instead of opting to change their diets my father in law bought a treadmill and would have them running on it. The kid brothers for some reason were allowed to dictate every major purchase, it could be anything from a caravan, a holiday, another new telly even the new car. For some reason that would irritate me. They also listened and involved themselves in adult discussions.

The lack of boundaries in that household were terrible. The waste in that house was insane too, one year FIL bought an artificial christmas tree which was beautiful and in the region of about £180... on boxing day he broke it all up and threw it out. I was really pissed off as we had a really old cheap one my mum gave me second hand I rolled out each year and would have loved it! He had even booted his telly out the door when England lost the footie. Only to get a new one the next day.
The kid brothers would destroy everything they owned knowing it would just get replaced anyway, the whole family deemed everything as replaceable and were so careless with everything. It seemed like they had a permanent skip in their front garden for their next lot of waste.

Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. But I suppose the few hail Mary's MIL would say every night made it OK.

• Wow

Kofi Annan

Bloody hell, glad to see I'm not on my own!!
My MIL told me her son was generous with his money until he met me, spat in my face and slammed the front door on me.
All because that Xmas we had bought a house, was expecting our first child and was saving for a wedding, so we'd scaled back our budget on Xmas gifts for his family (he's one of six!!)

Haven't spoke to any of his family for 9 years now, my MIL for 12 years. My husband couldn't deal with them not acknowledging his mother's horrific behaviour and ignorance.

• Wow
  • Angry

Pink waffles

Chatty Member
My sister in law booked her wedding the day after mine after a year of mine being booked .. they really couldn’t see the problem 🙄oh and my mil sat in the father of the bride seat so my dad had to sit 4 rows behind 😡

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry

Lynseyp

VIP Member
10 years ago my husband had depression and i was out working 2 jobs leaving home at 8am and not coming home til 10pm during the week and also had a weekend job too. I did this to purely earn money to keep our heads above water, because of the long hours i was out working i hardly saw my husband and as a result of this he had an affair which i found out about. My mother in law phoned the day the affair was discovered. I asked my MIL how she felt in the hope she would bollock her son and she replied that she couldn't blame him for having an affair as i was hardly home.
I was furious and told her that as her son wasn't working i had to juggle 3 jobs, it wasn't as if i was gambling money away. In the end i told her to f***off and leave me alone.
A short while after my husbands affair and the depression, we received a phone call from the Mother In Law saying that hubby's uncle had passed away - he was really close to his uncle and was gutted that he had "died".
Uncle was a farmer and we hardly saw him only once in a blue moon, he lived in same street as in laws. He only came back to eat and sleep then go back out on farm.
There was no mention of the funeral, but as the family wasn't close we presumed we wasn't in the loop and not invited.
In time, we kept getting xmas and birthday cards where hubbys Auntie had written them and added the deceased uncles name on.
It wasnt until a few months later we had a power cut and needed electricity to warm up my 2 month old sons bottle - we decided to go to in laws house to use their elec. As we were driving along the cul de sac i looked at the Aunties house and who do i spot ......the uncle sat looking out of the window. I was shaking, hubby was speechless. I was relieved that he was alive yet upset that we was told he had passed. I headed straight to the in laws house and had it out with the Mil. She said that as she thought i would leave husband after the affair so she made it up to get me to stay as she knew the death would hurt my husband and she wanted sympathy from me. I flew into a rage saying that i have lost nearest and dearest who i would loved to have seen and i couldn't and there's her making it up.
9 months later i received a call from MIL saying said uncle had passed. I refused to believe it until i saw proof and thats where i found the obituary in local paper.
MIL passed away in 2014, i dread to think what other stories she would have made up.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13

bubbadabut

VIP Member
Oh where to start with mine?

When my husband and I settled down, we decided to move equidistant to both sets of parents (about 30 mins either side). Soon became apparent that the in-laws couldn't be arsed to visit. They'd make arrangements but on the day there'd always be some excuse. 'Oooh its raining, motorways are lethal in the rain". Yes, seriously. Father in law was a driver for a living and had done numerous advanced driving courses. After our 2nd child we decided we needed more help, so moved closer to my family, about 45 mins from the in laws..

The lack of interest only worsened, even after giving them 4 grandchildren and their only grandaughter. Took them 3 weeks to visit our 3rd after he was born, despite them both being retired. They were too tired, apparently. It was always us having to visit them. Occasionally forgetting the kids birthdays, 'saving' all four kids birthday gifts up for when they could actually be bothered to visit.

They always showed clear favouritism for the eldest grandson. Things got really bad when they decided out of the blue to get a dog, knowing full well that 2 of our kids had a dog allergy, meaning visiting their house involved dosing them up on antihistamines. On the rare occasion that they did visit us, the 2 allergic kids consistently reacted, badly, from even just hugging them. They hadn't told us, but they had been bringing the dog with them in the car, because they couldn't bear to be separated from it for a few hours. Youngest son by this point had a severe dog allergy and epipens for various other allergies. In-laws showed no regard for this, trying to give him the food he was allergic to because they didn't believe in all that kind of stuff. Father in law couldn't be bothered to go and see his mum down in Kent who was seriously ill in hospital, even though my husband offered to drive him down there. FIL said he didn't want to see her like that. It has always been about what they want. FIL has always been a weak man totally enabled by his wife. Anyway my husband went down to see his nan and fell out with his parents massively for about 18 months over that.

Honestly typing this is getting me so worked up. I haven't spoken to them for over a year after things came to a head when yet another planned visit got cancelled on the day. I went mental at the mother in law over the phone and my life has been so much nicer without them in it. My husband maintained contact with his parents. At least, until a few months ago. His parents have no financial sense whatsoever and recently had to downsize due to their debts. They asked my husband if he would take out a £10k loan for them to tide them over until they sold their house. (House had already been on the market for 18 months at this point). He said no, as we already had a loan ourselves, and all the money we had saved was required to pay into his business, as he was becoming a partner. Husband told them to contact Citizens Advice. Radio silence from the in-laws. We heard nothing from them for another couple of months, when they tried again for the loan. Again husband said no, and for the first time ever he actually stood up to them, saying 'I've already got 5 dependents, I don't need 2 more'. Haven't heard from them since, and life is sweet. Honestly, there's so much more that I haven't put here; all the insults, the snide remarks. I do have it all documented, just in case it's needed one day, and to remind me of what utter shitbags they are.

• Wow

A finger of fudge

Chatty Member
My sister in law has just announced that she’s cutting off anyone who doesn’t visit her kids or regularly ask how they are doing or make an effort with them, as she’s going to treat people how they treat her kids!

We’ve been through a global pandemic which we’ve been busy working through (whilst she hasn’t worked for 5+ years!), myself and my boyfriend (her brother) live 200 miles away from her! God forbid we have other more pressing things going on in our life that we can’t ask how her kids are doing 24/7 🤦🏻‍♀️ It’s not like she ever makes an effort to ask how we are doing! I swear some people think the whole world revolves around their children!!

• Wow
  • Angry

MissRabbit

My ML in told me I was broody 9 days after my son passed away. She also blames me for him dying he was stillborn. At his funeral she had it all about her and how she lost her 1st grandchild
I'm so sorry for your loss, and for what your mother in law said. That is truly shocking. Take care, sending love ❤

Reactions: 12

Tricham

Chatty Member
I always say I love my in-laws but I don't like them. 😁 They are completely different to my family and have very different ways to what I would consider the 'right' way. I've kind of just accepted now that they just have a different way of thinking and that's that. They are very generous to my husband and I, so I don't think anything has ever been done maliciously.
My stories...
My MIL can be a bit overbearing. When she heard my sister had given birth she rocked up to the hospital straight away. As only a limited number can visit at a time 2 of us had to wait outside (I was stupid and young, at the age of 22, and she just let my now-husband and I leave instead of leaving herself!!) My sister had only met her a handful of times!

Then at our wedding she wanted to invite the world. People who I had never met. People who my husband may have met maybe a couple of times.

My SIL didn't like the bridesmaids' dresses I had chosen (my sister and brother's wife on the other hand had no problem and respected my wishes!)

There are more I'm sure but I think these are the worst 🙄

• Wow
Reactions: 12

Bellaboo83

VIP Member
My ex FIL insisted on having a key for the house. He would let himself in, go through our post, critique the tidiness of the house, sit on the sofa and watch the tv. If my ex hadn't called him during the week to tell him his exact schedule all hell would break loose and he'd let himself into the house and start shouting about how he was the last to know everything. He was overbearingly involved in the step children's lives and they could do absolutely no wrong in his eyes, he criticised and undermined our parenting at every opportunity and always had plenty to say about his perception of my shortcomings. A real horror of a FIL, still makes me stressed thinking about it now

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11

JD-Morgan

Not my MIL, but a family member of mine split up with her brand new hubby on their wedding night because his mum wasn’t happy with a joke that was made during the father of the bride’s speech aimed at his parents and he sided with his mum.. oh to have been a fly on the wall in that honeymoon suite!

• Wow

Tinkerbell20

Mine definitely isn’t as bad as some on here but I’ve always felt my MIL didn’t like me and it’s been magnified since my son was born. There a million other things that have happened and this probably isn’t the worst but it is the one that bugs me most.

I had a long and traumatic labour with my son who was 2 weeks overdue (started wed afternoon, hosp thurs morning, he wasn’t born till late fri morning). Won’t go into the details but ended in EMCS and I was anemic and treated for Sepsis and sirs. So was pretty unwell for a while. When my son was 2 weeks old she asked me if I’d weighed myself since giving birth and when I said no asked if I was putting it off because I was dreading seeing my weight. Then continued to ask when I was going out running again, told me I was ridiculous when I said doctor told me min 12 weeks and said I should definitely be getting out before that to lose the baby weight. Continued to tell me I needed to start yoga and Pilates to get my figure back and I’d need to get doing stomach exercises to sort my muscles out after the c section.

following week we are invited over for an Indian with my partners brothers and heir girlfriends. I ask for chips instead of rice and I arrive to be told my chips are in the oven. She put on bloody oven chips for me!!!

• Wow
  • Sad

Milehammer

I’m generally quite lucky but my MIL has developed a habit recently that I’m finding annoying...my little boy is 7 months old and has just started weaning. He has a dairy allergy so I’m careful with what I feed him and as he’s only 7 months I don’t feel he needs cake, biscuits etc. (People can feed their own children whatever they like, it’s just not something I do!) She just keeps going to give him cookies, cake, chocolate brownies without asking. Then when I say no she looks at me like I’m mad. I have to keep having the same conversation about how he might be allergic to it and that even if he isn’t I don’t want him to eat it!

• Angry
  • Sad

nobrains

Where do I start.. I stayed over for the first time at my inlaws house,we had a meal and the next morning at breakfast she proceeded to ask me if I had been taught any table manners...I hadn't put my cutlery down how she likes and that her and my fil had been worrying about it in bed. She asked my partner to make sure I was on the pill so that I couldn't trap him. I used to have a hat that was like a teddy bear thingy with pompom ears and she told me I couldn't keep wearing stuff like that and should grow up. She once shouted up the stairs to my partner and he shouted back "what?" She replied "don't say what,we don't talk like her and where she's from". I had an emergency csection and her son was useless,I had sepsis and he wasn't there for me at all..totally let me down. She said that I had to except that and grow up because his dad doesn't look after her when she's poorly so why should her son do that for me. Her and the fil turned up about 2 hours after I'd had an emergency csection. It was horrific. Also about 3 weeks pp and while I was really ill and didn't know they came to visit and she sat in my spot (not usually a big deal) but I was clearly situated there as I had all my stuff all my cushions etc. She didn't care. They are all over my son like flies, are over baring,don't listen to my rules or instructions, question every parenting decision I make. Mil literally won't leave my son alone! The worst part is my partner doesn't ever stick up for me,just tells me I should ignore it like he does. I actually refused to see her at one point and would go out if they came around.

Also they look after out son on a Thursday (well did pre covid) and when I get home the house is trashed! Toys everywhere,floors dirty from shoes,food all in the sink and floors, food all over the sofa. So when I get in at 6 from a full day at work and with a 1 year old to sort for bed and have to get my tea sorted I have to clean too. I am grateful they have him but they are so disrespectful of my home.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 10

Vera Stanhope

Chatty Member
So more on my MIL... she told us she was going to a friends for Christmas Dinner last year which suited us fine as I'm not keeping very well at the moment and we just wanted to have a quiet one.
Hubs said he'd visit her Christmas morning only to be told "No" because she was going to Church then straight onto the friends house and wouldn't be back until evening.
So Hubs went and visited her on Christmas Eve with her presents.
Christmas Day, she calls us early evening and tells us what a lovely time she had and what she ate etc., and seemed happy as a pig in shit.
Last Sunday I get told that she "has to go to people she doesn't know to have her Christmas Dinner"... I said but you told us you wanted to go, that you knew this friend... and you said what a lovely time you had so what's the issue? - Her reply "their isn't one." 🤬

Then I'm told that Hubs doesn't spend enough time with her when he visits to listen to her issues/problems.
So I say well tell me what they are now, I'm happy to listen and she says "I don't have any." 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10