Baby Reindeer Netflix

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you put your phone on flight mode just as the page starts to load you'll be able to read it
“For the woman said to be the real-life 'Martha', a 58-year-old who lives alone in a council flat in central London surviving on a food budget of £30 a week, shares several key similarities with her on-screen persona.

Indeed, Gadd's claim that he has protected her identity by changing key details is baffling given that both women are Scottish, both studied law at university, both are around 20 years older than Gadd and both use highly sexualised language in their speech and writing.

The woman also bears an uncanny physical resemblance to Martha although after watching Baby Reindeer this week she told the Mail: 'She sort of looks like me after I put on four stone during lockdown but I'm not actually unattractive.'”
🤔

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
If you put your phone on flight mode just as the page starts to load you'll be able to read it
Top tip 👏🏼

She’s so unwell and alone in the world I feel I shouldn’t look but there are so many people like her online and on Twitter etc, awareness of these kind of people is important it’s not nearly as uncommon as people think and SM really brings it out in them.

I had a stalker when I was 14 and before SM, he watched my home and waited outside my school. It took a teacher noticing for it all to come to head and the police called. He ended himself a few days later. It all started after I had a brief chat with him in a bakery, I didn’t even know his name.

But as with everything else there are varying degrees of severity and someone who won’t risk stalking in real life will spend their days doing it online and add anonymity to that and even the most cowardly ones feel free to stalk and harass people.

If nothing else it helps throw some light and raise some questions and awareness.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Let’s be fair, she’s not ‘Martha’ she’s whatever her name is.

There are many elements of the show that have been added/taken out to sensationalise it for Netflix. Nobody apart from Gadd and the people knows what these are. Did she go for him and his girlfriend physically? Did she torment his parents? Did he wank over this woman he was terrified of? Did she grope him? Did she go to court? We know the court thing is untrue but what else is isn’t.

Gadd using real text and tweets has left a breadcrumb trail to this mentally unstable woman who is now being treated as the person we saw in a tv show which only has elements of truth in it. I don’t believe this was accidental

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I binge watched this last week and while I did think it was well made and gripping, something about Richard Gadd left me feeling really unsettled.
i live in north London and about ten years ago used to spend a lot of time at comedy shows/live music stuff in and around Camden and got to know a few of the people on that circuit (although not very well, I didn’t stalk any of them, lol!). Based on that experience, he wrote the struggling ‘satirical’ comedian really well! That’s what they’re all like!

I do think Gadd is slightly disingenuous throughout - he sort of touched on his poor choices but still made himself out to have been the victim - the other people around him like his ex-gf and her mother who didn’t make poor choices but were still dragged into his chaos and abused. Poor Teri was treated appallingly but it was all about poor old Richard, even when she was literally assaulted. Teri being beaten up was literally a side note in how it affected him. Again with his dad making the confession about being a victim of SA, he is flabbergasted because clearly there is only room for one victim in the Richard show. I am not sure that was his intent in those scenes but that is certainly what came across to me.

He is also HUGELY disingenuous about his own privilege. He portrays his life as ‘struggling bar man in a more or less empty old man pub with meathead colleagues’ - not sure that is an accurate portrayal of the Hawley arms? Living in a huge house in London subsidised by your ex partners family???? What the duck? Most of us would have had to just go home and get a 9-5. He slagged everyone off for having ‘more’ (success, money, fun) but everyone was so nice to him and honestly I couldn’t really see what he brought to the table he was so unlikeable. It was weird how he was such a moaning bastard but everyone made sure he landed on his feet everytime- the party friends who gave him a room at reduced rent, the gf for not being dead happy that she was doused in Diet Coke for having the audacity to walk down the street, Teri for letting him stay. He didn’t even have to buy his own bloody coat! I wanted to shake him for being such an entitled bleep!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 67
Did he HAVE to make her Scottish and a lawyer like the real one though? Seems Gadd kinda knew what he was doing

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I wish I'd taken a screenshot but my favourite FH tweet is the one where she says "I don't have kids - that's why I look so good" 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 30
The amount of reactions on her fb posts keep changing. When I looked this morning there was over 1000 reactions on some posts, now there are a lot less. Wonder if she’s blocking people

Reactions: 5
I wonder if she'll be invited to appear on mainstream TV shows, like This Morning Lorraine, to tell her side of the story, or is she too much of a loose cannon?

Reactions: 6
I’m not so sure about that. Some victims of SA ‘fantasise’ about SA. Perhaps fantasise isn’t the right word but I can’t think of the right way to say it.
It seems counterintuitive but I believe for some it’s a way of safely working through what happened, they have the control. Similarly some victims become very promiscuous. That’s certainly what I did at a time. It was my way of regaining control. Not healthy but at the time, it’s what happened. Humans are complex so who knows maybe he did wank over his stalker
Consensual non-consent scenarios are a common way of reframing sexual abuse, promiscuity etc so I see where you’re coming from with that, but I can’t agree that any stalking victim who is being terrorised and lives in fear of their lives would sit looking at a photo of the person they just wish would leave them alone, masturbating.

Reactions: 8
A
Consensual non-consent scenarios are a common way of reframing sexual abuse, promiscuity etc so I see where you’re coming from with that, but I can’t agree that any stalking victim who is being terrorised and lives in fear of their lives would sit looking at a photo of the person they just wish would leave them alone, masturbating.
He said he never had any sexual interest in her because she was old and fat. Richard Gadd needs a lot of therapy himself and work out who he is. The bit about him pretending Teri was Martha to finish. The more I think about this show the more I think it's a mishmash of unstable people.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.