Autism moms and advocates #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interesting how Lenore has put the spin that she is the only one to fundraise for the school where as @Give me Strength has pointed out Teddy has a load of others on her page from all over funding the place too. The whole story about rice running out, no treats etc doesn't quiet ring true. Soooo many questions.

Reactions: 3
I normally avoid Facebook as it can be a bit hit and miss with people replying or even responding to you, its tumbleweed at times and it can be much easier to hide behind a blog but going to put myself out there to those Im friends with here - so here goes!

Due to the many trips out to Tanzania over the last few years now and the huge amount of fundraising work which has included a whopping 92k for 6 deserving Irish charities and over another 90k for many organizations in Tanzania to help so many - it has led to the biggest undertaking of my life.

I suppose the more you visit there, the more horrors you uncover, the more clued in to corruption you become and also wise to those who are trying to take advantage of your kindness. Its everywhere unfortunately but with that said it also comes with the upside of many beginning to trust you, as youre not just another Mzungu passing through & people start to open up as they see you may actually be different and give a tit & are not just there for a safari or a photo op with a child and a lollipop.

Trust in children is a very tough thing to gain and it takes years to form as you have to let them come around to you, especially when as a child, you have been let down or violated by most of the adults you have trusted in your short life.

On this last trip in February, we managed to thankfully step in to save a child whose family had plans on killing her as she was a burden due to her disability, this hit hard and close to home as a Mother of children with disabilities and we also fought hard for the safety of another who is around the same age as Indie but was in the care of absolute animals. Lets leave it at that. It took us weeks of working together to try and make this happen and almost broke us.

This trip led to a big decision or push of setting up a project with my very close friend like a sister, which we will be running and having full control of funds for through the right official channels, using it for the right reasons and for its full intent & purposes - the children in the locality who are in need of help, safety and proper care & love.

In doing this, we wanted to pay tribute to our Grandmothers from whom we both got our sense of wanting to help others from. So the name is a nod to both of them, Teresa & Etta - and the Teretta Foundation is in the process of being formed.

This foundation will oversee a safe house for 32 children (to begin with) who are victims of abuse and or at high risk of, due to their living arrangements. Most children are at risk of being abused at home and on their way to and from school. We have probably in excess of that number needing help right now.

Look we are aware, we cant fight all the injustices but we can play a part in not turning a blind eye to the atrocities we know damn well are going on, in a country where the kids have little to nothing as it is. Many children are not even registered at birth and as soon as the elections start more children will start to go missing particularly those with albinism as a means of sacrifice. Yes, this actually goes on.

I am fully aware that there is so much going on in the world right now and everywhere we turn in life there is so much sadness and people are finding it tough to cope in general. Its easy to scroll past more negativity but please, even as a Facebook friend on my page, read on.

I have done lots and my bit for those in need in Ireland in the midst of having a full and challenging set of circumstances in my own home and Im fully aware that people are of the opinion, well charity starts at home. I know this and I have stepped up, I am just asking people to maybe spread the word if possible about what we are trying to accomplish, as its our own now.

Help doesnt always have to be monetary to support, a kind word about our efforts, a simple like or a share helps too.

We have a big task ahead of us of raising a huge amount of money in order to build a self sustaining project, which we will have running alongside the safe house - so we wont have to be fundraising in the long term as one will be able to cover the running costs for the other. Its just getting this off the ground is the challenge.

In order to try and raise funds - I will as always be walking the walk and not just talking the talk, so I am going to be donning a wedding dress in a few weeks to trek Kilimanjaro to showcase my commitment to the cause!

And Im also looking for some people to come out and volunteer with me in September and be a part of this - this would be ideally suited to those who want to make a difference and step out of their comfort zone as you get stuck in, in many community projects with us whilst also seeing the beauty of the country in a jam packed 9 night/11 day itinerary Ive created. This trip will be with guides for the whole duration and we welcome solo travellers.

Every booking for this will help us with our urgent goal - as I cant stress how each day that passes here means the children waiting and praying for our return there - are in direct line of fire there.

This is the official page for anyone who would like to help or read more about 👇

If you would like to get on board - maybe you are a bit of a social butterfly & are a part of many whatsapp groups with reach, or you could do an event, coffee morning etc to help we would be thrilled. It takes a community to build one and word of mouth can be what makes the difference 🫶

Thanks so much for your time x

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Beans and mayonnaise? Not the plain rice and half a banana mentioned by mother Theresa. Didn’t she have the same story of how the kids were shocked when she ate lunch with them.
---
Just a few of the many people and organisations that fund this school

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
Jesus she has a fairly nice lifestyle since she started fundraising hasn’t she……lips done, lipo, multiple trips to Zanzibar.
As a mother of 4 Autistic children I’d love to know where she gets the time for all of this let alone the money…..

Reactions: 6
Jesus she has a fairly nice lifestyle since she started fundraising hasn’t she……lips done, lipo, multiple trips to Zanzibar.
As a mother of 4 Autistic children I’d love to know where she gets the time for all of this let alone the money…..
And another at least 4 trips planned in the next year!! 🙄 I feel sorry for the small kids she never mentions the boy anymore and never brings the small 2 girls anywhere! I know it’s difficult for Indie in particular but Jesus put some effort into your own kids first. I’ve 2 with additional needs but I want to be able to bring my oldest on holidays etc so I’m working on that for her benefit.

Reactions: 4