Autism Discussion

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wouldn’t delay getting referred; the practice nurse can do it. Do the AQ-10 test and take your answers in.
Thank you for your reply. I've just completed the AQ-10 test and scored 8. I'm due to see the MH nurse next month so I'll mention it then.

The chances of being diagnosed via the NHS at the moment are pretty slim. Is it an option to go private?
Thanks for your reply. I gathered the NHS route would be difficult!

I do have private healthcare in place via my partner's employer, I just wasn't sure it would cover something like this. Do you (or anyone else reading) have experience of pursuing this privately that you could share?

Reactions: 1
Thank you for your reply. I've just completed the AQ-10 test and scored 8. I'm due to see the MH nurse next month so I'll mention it then.

I do have private healthcare in place via my partner's employer, I just wasn't sure it would cover something like this. Do you (or anyone else reading) have experience of pursuing this privately that you could share?

Yes I do - is it with Bupa? Generally, they don't cover diagnostic testing for ADHD and ASD. What they do cover, is mental health diagnostics, so if you can prove during an initial consultation with a psychiatrist that the difficulties you're facing impact your mental health enough that a diagnosis would be beneficial, the consultant can then write to BUPA to ask that they authorise a screening.

Add to that difficulty of finding psychiatrists that are taking on new patients at the moment or don't have a waiting list of months and months is also difficult. I wish we had a messenger system here as I could have given you the name of a psychiatrist.

If you could book an appointment before then I’d really recommend it, people might think they want to pursue it in the new year and you’ll be even further down the 2+ year waiting list. Just get referred then try and forget about it. I don’t know if things have changed but when I was seeking an assessment only an NHS one was recognised by the NHS itself and as proof if you wanted anything like PIP. I don’t know if this has changed or if it varies by area.

Yes I do - is it with Bupa? Generally, they don't cover diagnostic testing for ADHD and ASD. What they do cover, is mental health diagnostics, so if you can prove during an initial consultation with a psychiatrist that the difficulties you're facing impact your mental health enough that a diagnosis would be beneficial, the consultant can then write to BUPA to ask that they authorise a screening.

Add to that difficulty of finding psychiatrists that are taking on new patients at the moment or don't have a waiting list of months and months is also difficult. I wish we had a messenger system here as I could have given you the name of a psychiatrist.
It is Bupa. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and will ask if I can be referred to a psychiatrist to hopefully get the ball rolling. I'm filling pages and pages with traits/behaviour I think may be relevant, and it's pretty cathartic to get it all onto paper.

It's a shame we can't discuss this further via PM but I'm really grateful for your help with this here. Thank you!
---
If you could book an appointment before then I’d really recommend it, people might think they want to pursue it in the new year and you’ll be even further down the 2+ year waiting list. Just get referred then try and forget about it. I don’t know if things have changed but when I was seeking an assessment only an NHS one was recognised by the NHS itself and as proof if you wanted anything like PIP. I don’t know if this has changed or if it varies by area.
Thank you. Another poster has confirmed I may be able to get help from Bupa so I'll try them first given the current NHS waiting list times. I'm really grateful for your help.

Reactions: 2
It is Bupa. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and will ask if I can be referred to a psychiatrist to hopefully get the ball rolling. I'm filling pages and pages with traits/behaviour I think may be relevant, and it's pretty cathartic to get it all onto paper.

It's a shame we can't discuss this further via PM but I'm really grateful for your help with this here. Thank you!
---

Thank you. Another poster has confirmed I may be able to get help from Bupa so I'll try them first given the current NHS waiting list times. I'm really grateful for your help.
When you call Bupa, make sure you stress the effect that your difficulties are having on your mental health first and then slip in the convo about ASD etc. That way you can bypass the ‘straight to diagnosis’ red tape that Bupa have 🙄 good luck 🤞

• Heart
does anyone else struggle with the 'ok, i'm autistic... now what?'

it's a difficult feeling to verbalise, but i think for me it's that if you were to be diagnosed with any other physical or mental condition there'd be plenty of medications and alternative treatments you could try. but with autism, there's no 'treatment', no respite, no end in sight, just knowing that you've struggled for this long, and there's no guaranteed way of life getting any easier. apologies if this sounds depressing haha, just thoughts i've been having a lot recently and wondering if i'm alone in them.

I've just come back to this thread as I recently received confirmation that I have ASD. Thank you @avabella and @no-no for your advice. I was supported to have the assessment privately by my apprenticeship provider, which was really surprising.

I had my bridal makeup trial the other day and when I got home I was completely drained from all the forced eye contact and small talk for almost two hours. I burst into tears but couldn't verbalise what was wrong. On reflection, I now realise it was likely a meltdown! I also had to scrub the lip product off as it was giving me huge sensory ick. Things are starting to click into place for me now I have the diagnosis!

The psychiatrist who provided my diagnosis also strongly believes I have ADHD but couldn't diagnose as it has its own separate assessment process, so now I need to weigh up whether to go through the process again (as it was really draining).

@daisy2809 I can definitely relate to your post. I think for me I'm keen to start considering my needs and what my boundaries are. I need to get comfortable with saying no to things which impact me negatively, for sure! I need to do some more research too, and I'm due to meet my manager next week so I can let her know and start thinking about reasonable adjustments.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've just come back to this thread as I recently received confirmation that I have ASD. Thank you @avabella and @no-no for your advice. I was supported to have the assessment privately by my apprenticeship provider, which was really surprising.

I had my bridal makeup trial the other day and when I got home I was completely drained from all the forced eye contact and small talk for almost two hours. I burst into tears but couldn't verbalise what was wrong. On reflection, I now realise it was likely a meltdown! I also had to scrub the lip product off as it was giving me huge sensory ick. Things are starting to click into place for me now I have the diagnosis!

The psychiatrist who provided my diagnosis also strongly believes I have ADHD but couldn't diagnose as it has its own separate assessment process, so now I need to weigh up whether to go through the process again (as it was really draining).

@daisy2809 I can definitely relate to your post. I think for me I'm keen to start considering my needs and what my boundaries are. I need to get comfortable with saying no to things which impact me negatively, for sure! I need to do some more research too, and I'm due to meet my manager next week so I can let her know and start thinking about reasonable adjustments.
So glad you managed to get answers and have started to put bits of the jigsaw together 🙏🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Hey, that’s ‘great’ news (iykwim) 😄 Thanks for updating and I’m glad you feel like things are clicking in to place. I was told the same re ADHD, but haven’t bothered pursuing, just understanding its effects and borrowing coping strategies is helpful for me. Two hours of beauty treatments sounds taxing. People laugh when I tell them the hairdressers is a necessary evil not a treat (I do know some “NT” people who feel the same). My plans after a colour are always to go home and recharge 🪫 but my current hairdresser indulges me in one of my favourite subjects 🐶 so it’s not as bad these days.

• Heart
Hey, that’s ‘great’ news (iykwim) 😄 Thanks for updating and I’m glad you feel like things are clicking in to place. I was told the same re ADHD, but haven’t bothered pursuing, just understanding its effects and borrowing coping strategies is helpful for me. Two hours of beauty treatments sounds taxing. People laugh when I tell them the hairdressers is a necessary evil not a treat (I do know some “NT” people who feel the same). My plans after a colour are always to go home and recharge 🪫 but my current hairdresser indulges me in one of my favourite subjects 🐶 so it’s not as bad these days.
Thank you! :)

I completely agree about the hairdressers! I find the chatting really difficult, especially over the noise of multiple hairdryers. I'd love to just pop my noise cancelling earphones in and leave her to it, but she's a chatter. That's probably why I only go once to twice a year! 😂 I've noticed Autism friendly hairdressers in Brighton but I don't think there's anything like that where I live. Maybe I need to consider mobile!

I think the makeup was worse as she was (obviously) in my personal space but kept stepping back to check her work so the eye contact required was constant throughout. My partner gave me a tip when I got home (after my meltdown) to look directly in between the eyebrows rather than into the eyes, which felt much more comfortable.

When I left the salon I was wearing my shoulders as earrings, and on arrival home, some of our friends had unexpectedly popped in to drop something off and have a quick cuppa. I was ready to unmask and then had to remask until they left. Then the tears came! 🙈

I've still got lots to learn and read up on but the diagnosis has definitely helped me to understand why I am the way I am, and that it's OK to be different and have specific needs to keep me happy and comfortable. I definitely need to unlearn some things which I've adopted to make me appear neurotypical also!

I will need to tell my family at some point, which is a whole other story. My mum helped with parts of the assessment but I just told her it was a test I had to do through work and not Autism related. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated! 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am a woman in my mid forties. I have just made an appointment for next week and intend saying to my doctor that I think i am autistic. The catalyst is being unable to meet some demands on me and feeling deep shame as this effects others now, not just me. I am used to my limitations shaping my own life.

I am really frightened that I am incorrect and the doctor will think i am an attention seeker or worse. I haven't ever verbalised these thoughts even though i believe them.

• Heart