Autism Discussion

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My son is 9 and only recently thought that he may be autistic, but I’m not sure maybe it’s just him 🤷🏼‍♀️
When he was a baby he was late meeting his milestones and when he started school he was behind a lot. He started stimming from very young and still does. He calls it his thinking, he sits and rubs his face and asks us not to watch. Since learning his times tables he never stops talking about numbers and always going through his times tables.
He can get angry quite easily when things don’t go his way (isn’t that every child? 🤷🏼‍♀️)
He seems to have good social skills, he has friends at school and plays in a football team. Any advice?
Thanks.

Reactions: 2
My son is 9 and only recently thought that he may be autistic, but I’m not sure maybe it’s just him 🤷🏼‍♀️
When he was a baby he was late meeting his milestones and when he started school he was behind a lot. He started stimming from very young and still does. He calls it his thinking, he sits and rubs his face and asks us not to watch. Since learning his times tables he never stops talking about numbers and always going through his times tables.
He can get angry quite easily when things don’t go his way (isn’t that every child? 🤷🏼‍♀️)
He seems to have good social skills, he has friends at school and plays in a football team. Any advice?
Thanks.
Does he have any other stims? And how is he in terms of routines? Does he do/like repetitive things eg certain size or type spoons or bowls etc? Does he handle change well (eg. The days plans suddenly changing)? How is his eating - is he “fussy”?

Does he have any other stims? And how is he in terms of routines? Does he do/like repetitive things eg certain size or type spoons or bowls etc? Does he handle change well (eg. The days plans suddenly changing)? How is his eating - is he “fussy”?
He sometimes twirls his feet, he’s done that since a baby but more the face rub now.
With routine he hates it when we’ve planned to do something and then it gets cancelled last minute. But other than that our daily routine is usually the same every day he’s not really affected by small changes.
He’s a fussy eater there’s only a few meals he likes but then his school dinner he will eat 🙄

My youngest daughter is autistic with a learning disability and was finally diagnosed at age 9 after 4-5 years of "investigations" by a paediatrician and clinical psychologist. Even though it took a long time, I did feel completely supported during that time and both the paediatrician and psychologist did everything they could to move her diagnosis process along and secure her the support she needed. She also had a brilliant SENCO at her primary school - absolutely worth her weight in gold - and all 3 worked together as a team really well. My daughter was issued with a very comprehensive EHCP about a year after she was diagnosed and is now in year 9 at a mainstream secondary school. The school has a large SEN hub and she has a keyworker with her all the time. She has lots of intervention lessons at school and also spends time with a mentor every week, going for milkshakes, doing crafty stuff, sometimes swimming. I feel incredibly lucky that we managed to secure such amazing support for her - she has the highest rated EHCP in her school - and that she is doing so well. She attends school every day (we've thankfully never had a refusal to go) and has friends. We still have challenges - she struggles with those friendships at times and can be a little full on which can make people back off. She's also addicted to social media and has no interest in anything but looking at her phone which drives me crackers BUT she's incredibly sociable and is a happy content child which all I ever wanted for her.

For parents going through this process, I would say be prepared to be dogged and resilient in your approach. I kept on and on and on, politely but relentlessly pushing for things to move forward. I think we were blessed with the professionals involved in her diagnosis as they were so committed to getting her the help that she needed but even with their assistance, the wheels grind slowly and you will need to push and fight constantly for your child.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My adult son is finally on a pathway to an autism diagnosis. He’s in his mid 30s and I’ve known since he was a child, but his Dad (my ex) said he was fine and not to mention it again.
He didn’t walk until he was 18 months, refused to feed himself until he was confident he could do it properly without making a mess, had obsessions with things and still does, to name but a few traits.
I think he has Asperger’s. He’ll be happier if he has a diagnosis as he’s getting depressed about not being able to have a relationship due to his behaviour. He’s fed up of people thinking he’s a dick because he’s not very good at reading social signals.
I’m upset too because I should have stood up to his Dad and got him help. His school should have recognised his difficulties, but they weren’t interested because he’s super intelligent and passed all his exams without even trying. They were only bothered about the results.

Sorry, long rant but hopefully a decent outcome for him.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I was diagnosed with ASD and ADHD last year and my lifetime of eating difficulties (which looking back is all sensory) now makes sense. I also didn’t sleep, was a very early talker and could just read from being 3 without anyone teaching me. I keep burning out and now I know why hopefully I can take steps with work to try and stop it happening. The ADHD meds are helping loads and I don’t feel as overwhelmed constantly anymore.

Reactions: 3
I had the very early reading thing too, the proper name for it is hyperlexia. I read the Hobbit when I was 6 and The Lord of the Rings when I was 7. I couldn’t use a knife and fork until I was about 15 though, it’s quite common to be really precocious in some things, but very delayed in others.

Reactions: 5
My adult son is finally on a pathway to an autism diagnosis. He’s in his mid 30s and I’ve known since he was a child, but his Dad (my ex) said he was fine and not to mention it again.
He didn’t walk until he was 18 months, refused to feed himself until he was confident he could do it properly without making a mess, had obsessions with things and still does, to name but a few traits.
I think he has Asperger’s. He’ll be happier if he has a diagnosis as he’s getting depressed about not being able to have a relationship due to his behaviour. He’s fed up of people thinking he’s a dick because he’s not very good at reading social signals.
I’m upset too because I should have stood up to his Dad and got him help. His school should have recognised his difficulties, but they weren’t interested because he’s super intelligent and passed all his exams without even trying. They were only bothered about the results.

Sorry, long rant but hopefully a decent outcome for him.
Good luck with your sons assessment and diagnosis I’m sure it’ll all go well. They don’t diagnose/ use the term Asperger’s anymore, it will just be that he’s autistic or not. X

Reactions: 3
Good luck with your sons assessment and diagnosis I’m sure it’ll all go well. They don’t diagnose/ use the term Asperger’s anymore, it will just be that he’s autistic or not. X
I wonder why that is, Aspies have some unique characteristics

I wonder why that is, Aspies have some unique characteristics
They changed the classification of autism to mild, moderate or severe and Asperger’s overlapped with the change in how ASD is diagnosed, it’s all online if you want to read. Also, Asperger himself was known to perform cruel medical procedures on children during World War Two for the nazi’s so he’s also a controversial figure. It hasn’t been used since 2013.

Last edited:
They changed the classification of autism to mild, moderate or severe and Asperger’s overlapped with the change in how ASD is diagnosed, it’s all online if you want to read. Also, Asperger himself was known to perform cruel medical procedures on children during World War Two for the nazi’s so he’s also a controversial figure. It hasn’t been used since 2013.

I think because labelling someone as “low functioning” assumes they can’t do anything at all, and labelling someone as “high functioning” doesn’t address the potential difficulties they face day to day.

My son with ASD is 6 and non verbal with significant support needs but can do complex jigsaws on his own, count to 100 and is teaching himself Spanish on an app. I also have ASD and have a successful professional career but this has been at the detriment of my mental health - I now have things in place which helps but before my diagnosis I just felt like a failure constantly for not being able to cope with life.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think because labelling someone as “low functioning” assumes they can’t do anything at all, and labelling someone as “high functioning” doesn’t address the potential difficulties they face day to day.

My son with ASD is 6 and non verbal with significant support needs but can do complex jigsaws on his own, count to 100 and is teaching himself Spanish on an app. I also have ASD and have a successful professional career but this has been at the detriment of my mental health - I now have things in place which helps but before my diagnosis I just felt like a failure constantly for not being able to cope with life.
100% agree, very glad they’ve changed the labelling to make it more in keeping with it being a spectrum disorder

Hey guys
So I’m looking for a bit of advice on how to approach this situation. My daughter has a few conditions. One of which is autism. She was non verbal. A year or so ago started talking - simple words. She’s almost 8 and still in nappies. During the night she room her nappy off. When I checked. No accidents. She woke me up not long ago asking where her potty is. Don’t get me wrong she didn’t use it but, not many people thought she’d ever get here. Including doctors. She’s now showing signs she’s ready.
how should I proceed? I don’t want to spook her but want her to be confident enough to use the potty. If needed

• Heart
Hey guys
So I’m looking for a bit of advice on how to approach this situation. My daughter has a few conditions. One of which is autism. She was non verbal. A year or so ago started talking - simple words. She’s almost 8 and still in nappies. During the night she room her nappy off. When I checked. No accidents. She woke me up not long ago asking where her potty is. Don’t get me wrong she didn’t use it but, not many people thought she’d ever get here. Including doctors. She’s now showing signs she’s ready.
how should I proceed? I don’t want to spook her but want her to be confident enough to use the potty. If needed
I have worked with lots of non-verbal children who have learned to use the potty/toilet. The parents gently gave it a go, used visual/sound timers to support prompting and use of PEC/makaton signs to support communication. May be worth a go with the last few days of summer hols?

Yeah, the thing with my daughter. She does also have other issues. Not just autism. Whilst she does have autism. She has a brain condition called chiari too.
She’s recently started making progress but until recently showed no signs. I just don’t want to give her too much pressure and go backwards but want to encourage it. But so far, it’s always been tiny steps forward and I like rhat

At the ripe old age of 30-something, I've come to the realisation that I may have some form of neurodivergent condition.

I found an unofficial list online and I couldn't believe how many things I related to. It was like all my little "quirks" were highlighted on this webpage and everything clicked into place: https://the-art-of-autism.com/females-and-aspergers-a-checklist/

I'm going to speak to my GP in the new year, but I'm sure this won't be a quick and easy process. I've started taking notes of things that stand out to me that may be relevant, from childhood to adulthood. Does anyone have any other advice or can talk me through the process? Thank you.

At the ripe old age of 30-something, I've come to the realisation that I may have some form of neurodivergent condition.

I found an unofficial list online and I couldn't believe how many things I related to. It was like all my little "quirks" were highlighted on this webpage and everything clicked into place: https://the-art-of-autism.com/females-and-aspergers-a-checklist/

I'm going to speak to my GP in the new year, but I'm sure this won't be a quick and easy process. I've started taking notes of things that stand out to me that may be relevant, from childhood to adulthood. Does anyone have any other advice or can talk me through the process? Thank you.
I wouldn’t delay getting referred; the practice nurse can do it. Do the AQ-10 test and take your answers in.

Reactions: 1

The chances of being diagnosed via the NHS at the moment are pretty slim. Is it an option to go private?

Reactions: 1