Autism Discussion

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought I would make a thread about an increasingly diagnosed condition, autism. Autism is a neurological condition that can cause social difficulty and anxiety.

It has only been diagnosed since the late 1990s. As such, many adults are undiagnosed.

Christine McGuinnness recently came out as autistic, following the diagnosis of her children. Similarly, Melanie Sykes has come out as autistic.

What are your experiences with autism? Do you know anyone who you think could be un-diagnosed? Do you think that awareness of autism is at a satisfactory level?

Reactions: 4
Just an addition that ASD is a neurological/developmental disability rather than a condition.

I don’t believe that it is increasingly diagnosed per se, but rather that awareness is so hugely increased that by proxy the numbers of diagnoses will rise.

The increase of diagnoses is not matched by after-diagnosis support which in my experience is absolutely dire.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hello! Just remembered seeing this thread the other say and have been triggered by a rather pignorant poster ascribing a celebrity's downright illegal behaviour down to "possible Asperger's".

I had a late diagnosis in my late 30s, my son was dx at 4 and with ADHD at 6.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I’m probably autistic as well. I’m very high on the spectrum so I doubt I’ll ever get a diagnosis unless I go private. I’ve managed OK but my childhood was actually quite difficult because I massively struggled with school. I found it noisy and overwhelming and struggled to concentrate and so refused a lot of the time. I only found out as an adult that I was quite late meeting some of my milestones and didn’t walk until I was nearly two, my mum was so worried she took me to see the GP who dismissed it. Now I work with kids in the spectrum I realise I share a lot of their traits.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m probably autistic as well. I’m very high on the spectrum so I doubt I’ll ever get a diagnosis unless I go private. I’ve managed OK but my childhood was actually quite difficult because I massively struggled with school. I found it noisy and overwhelming and struggled to concentrate and so refused a lot of the time. I only found out as an adult that I was quite late meeting some of my milestones and didn’t walk until I was nearly two, my mum was so worried she took me to see the GP who dismissed it. Now I work with kids in the spectrum I realise I share a lot of their traits.
I managed to get a dx on the NHS but it took so long that work funded another, so I now have two, both positive. The trouble with women and girls on the spectrum is that we hide our traits well by masking but cause huge issues with our mental health along the way.

Reactions: 11
I think the awareness in women is shocking. So many females go undiagnosed cause the criteria is for males

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My son was diagnosed when he was 6, 13 years ago. I was diagnosed a couple of years later. It’s not true that it was only given as a diagnosis since the 1990’s though. The first child ever diagnosed with autism was Donald Tripplet who was diagnosed in 1943.

Reactions: 9
I have two autistic sons, both received their diagnoses from the NHS and both times it took several years on the waiting list for assessment. We first picked up on it around 1-2 years of age in both of them. Although I’ve never (and likely will never) pursued an official diagnosis for myself, I believe that I too am on the spectrum. I’ve many of the traits seen in females and have always just felt different from a very young age. I mask so much and always have.

Reactions: 8
It makes me sad to think of years ago while in school there was always a child in the class who was classed as "bold"
One little lad flapped his hands alot so the teacher and parents would ducktape his hands together to try stop him.
So many of those kids were more than likely on the spectrum and just went undiagnosed

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
There’s more to it than that. Stimming can also be a way of regulating or diffusing anxiety or sensory overstimulation, so if you stop someone stimming it can lead to worse behavioural problems in an attempt to overcompensate.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
There’s more to it than that. Stimming can also be a way of regulating or diffusing anxiety or sensory overstimulation, so if you stop someone stimming it can lead to worse behavioural problems in an attempt to overcompensate.
I always rocked to stim (when I was alone in the house!)

Reactions: 4
my 11 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with autism. Has taken 2 and a half years (initially thought to have anxiety by CAHMS). She has refused to go to school for two years (best scenario shes in three days a week) so im really worried about her going to high school in august. So stressful and havent been given any after diagnosis support

• Heart
Reactions: 5
my 11 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with autism. Has taken 2 and a half years (initially thought to have anxiety by CAHMS). She has refused to go to school for two years (best scenario shes in three days a week) so im really worried about her going to high school in august. So stressful and havent been given any after diagnosis support
My son was dx with ASD at 4 and ADHD at 6 plus general anxiety disorder at 10. We managed, via a helpful CAHMs to finally get an EHCP when he was in Yr6 now he's in a unit which is part of a local secondary modern. Nothing's easy, especially when you're a female on the spectrum as I know to the cost of my own MH. That said, things aren't awful.

Are there any local support groups? They can often be useful. Mine are mixed because I find them difficult to attend myself.

Hi everyone, I’m waiting for an autism diagnosis and I’m looking for work. I struggle with social skills, I find it hard to read peoples emotions and body language, I have had over 10 jobs 2 of them which were Xmas temp and the rest I’ve left before 5 months apart from one which was 9 months. I do want to work but I feel I do struggle in employment. I’ve done retail, care work, hairdressing, beauty therapy, waitressing, warehouses, food production. I really want to have my own business but family said no, it is really frustrating and upsetting me. Can someone advise me please or can anyone else relate? X

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi everyone, I’m waiting for an autism diagnosis and I’m looking for work. I struggle with social skills, I find it hard to read peoples emotions and body language, I have had over 10 jobs 2 of them which were Xmas temp and the rest I’ve left before 5 months apart from one which was 9 months. I do want to work but I feel I do struggle in employment. I’ve done retail, care work, hairdressing, beauty therapy, waitressing, warehouses, food production. I really want to have my own business but family said no, it is really frustrating and upsetting me. Can someone advise me please or can anyone else relate? X
Can totally relate ❤ I have an autistic diagnostic assessment next Friday and I’m getting very anxious about it. I just want to know what’s up with me. I’m exactly the same as you, struggled massively all my working life in jobs, as well as socially, sensory and in relationships. I’ve always gravitated to nhs jobs and I am good at them because I’ve learned how to be but they kill me inside. My current job is stressing me out so much that I can’t sleep and have stress headaches all the time, no one knows how I feel though because I keep everything to myself. I’d love to quit my job and find a quiet job where I don’t need to interact with anyone. So I really do feel your pain.

Can I ask, why is you family saying no to running your own business? If this would be helpful to you then surely they should be supportive? I can’t really give any advice because I can’t even sort my own tit out but if you need to let stuff out then do it here. I really hope you get an appointment soon, mine has taken 3 months which I think is really quick but they said they’d discussed me and thought it was best I was seen earlier. This has worried me a bit, what the hell did I say to them to trigger an early appointment?! Anyway, best of luck and use this forum as a sounding board if you need to.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can totally relate ❤ I have an autistic diagnostic assessment next Friday and I’m getting very anxious about it. I just want to know what’s up with me. I’m exactly the same as you, struggled massively all my working life in jobs, as well as socially, sensory and in relationships. I’ve always gravitated to nhs jobs and I am good at them because I’ve learned how to be but they kill me inside. My current job is stressing me out so much that I can’t sleep and have stress headaches all the time, no one knows how I feel though because I keep everything to myself. I’d love to quit my job and find a quiet job where I don’t need to interact with anyone. So I really do feel your pain.

Can I ask, why is you family saying no to running your own business? If this would be helpful to you then surely they should be supportive? I can’t really give any advice because I can’t even sort my own tit out but if you need to let stuff out then do it here. I really hope you get an appointment soon, mine has taken 3 months which I think is really quick but they said they’d discussed me and thought it was best I was seen earlier. This has worried me a bit, what the hell did I say to them to trigger an early appointment?! Anyway, best of luck and use this forum as a sounding board if you need to.
Hey! I had my autism assessment in December 2022 between me and the dr then I had another one which was between mum and a medical professional. My family just don’t feel right now is a good time for me to have my own business as I keep leaving jobs and they feel like I won’t stick at having my own business and because I struggle to talk to people, I find it hard to read people etc they think I’m better off in a employed job. I have tired telling them how I feel etc but idk, I feel like I’m going round in circles. I’ve struggled in jobs and they just feel like there’s no point in me having my own business if I struggle in jobs because having a business is even harder x

• Heart
Hey! I had my autism assessment in December 2022 between me and the dr then I had another one which was between mum and a medical professional. My family just don’t feel right now is a good time for me to have my own business as I keep leaving jobs and they feel like I won’t stick at having my own business and because I struggle to talk to people, I find it hard to read people etc they think I’m better off in a employed job. I have tired telling them how I feel etc but idk, I feel like I’m going round in circles. I’ve struggled in jobs and they just feel like there’s no point in me having my own business if I struggle in jobs because having a business is even harder x
Is education an option for you? Could you maybe do a business course or a course in something you like and that way your parents might be a bit more willing as you have an education in it?

Is education an option for you? Could you maybe do a business course or a course in something you like and that way your parents might be a bit more willing as you have an education in it?
I don’t really know to be honest probably not they just want me to get a job as were struggling for money. I did business studies in school and I enjoyed it I passed it and I even got Merits and Passes in my assignments but my overall grade was a pass.

Reactions: 1
I struggle with employment and spent 21 years having issues with colleagues and bosses in the public sector before having a breakdown and being made voluntarily redundant two years later. It's hard. I was dx when I was 39 so 7 years ago now. I also have bipolar and was dx with that back in November 2022.

I would say that starting your own business would defo be an option.

A while ago I used to write a blog called 'Faspie' on Blogger. I'll have a look for it.

http://faspie.blogspot.com/?m=1 might help! I wrote it partly so others wouldn't feel so alone.

Reactions: 5