Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
If so, air it out here. I myself suffer from anxiety and social anxiety - it's horrible. Some days I can't bear it.

I've been to the hospital and GP countless times to get seen to for my anxiety. I've been on meds numerous times to help my anxiety.

Thankfully I am not a really depressive person. A friend of a friend recently killed himself due to pressure and he was very depressed.

I myself, I've been suffering with MH conditions for over a decade now. I am 33 now, but my first real panic attack was back when I was around 21 y/o.

Anyway, do any of you suffer with mental health conditions? If so, what do you suffer from? Are you getting help or on meds?

• Heart
Reactions: 14

VioletButterfly

VIP Member
:(It's lonely until you let your walls down and share with someone, but then you run the risk of altering the relationship. If it was a broken leg, or appendicitis they wouldn't be saying 'put it out of your mind and don't think about it'. What's the 1st response when you tell someone you're depressed? "Oh cheer up" They're well meaning and don't mean to minimalize it, but when you say lonely, I know the feeling well.
flower.gif

• Heart
Reactions: 7

sarahboo

I suffer with depression, anxiety and undiagnosed health anxiety!

I am currently off work (which I never thought I would do!!) as restarted Sertraline last week, it’s been rough at times in all honesty but I think I have made the right choice. I hate being off work, will push through illness, work all the hours under the sun etc. But the last few months have been hard, I have been struggling with coping and felt at my wits end. I have been on annual leave and just lost it, I was panicking over so many things then crying uncontrollably for hours. Funnily enough the next morning I saw a post on instagram that said something along the lines of ‘you’ll work 40+ hours a week for someone else but won’t dedicate an hour to yourself’ and I thought sod it, I need to look after myself and felt kinda over putting in so many hours a week at a detriment to my well-being, so spoke to my boss and said I will be going off sick. I don’t feel guilty one bit, I actually feel better for taking the time for me. I used to be a bit embarrassed by my mental health and although work are supportive, sometimes they just don’t quite get it. Their views can be quite old school, which has made me reluctant to share my feelings in the past. I constantly feel the need to prove myself, my worth and my strength so not to be seen as ‘weak’ or just another person ‘pulling the mental health card’ as they do see it as a get out of jail free card.

I have taken different types of antidepressants in the past but they made me very aggressive and angry so for years I went without. I have had CBT and private counselling in the past. My trouble is, I feel better in these sessions and seem to tell the therapist what they want to hear so they think I am getting better. I suppose in some aspects I am because I will talk about positives but I then tend to hold back the harsh reality of things that I am still struggling with. I’m not sure if it’s a self sabotage thing or what but I’ve had a few Drs even tell me ‘I have a good grip on my depression and anxiety’. I just feel like I need someone there with me every step of the way sometimes. So right now I am back on Sertraline as that worked for me when I was first on it and debating whether to seek counselling again. I can’t help but feel I have failed and that I am never going to get better, I just can’t make things stick!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest 🙈 it can be quite lonely with mental health struggles sometimes.

• Heart

Black.bird

VIP Member
Yes ... anxiety ... for which I've been on medication (Sertraline) for 25+ years

It's especially bad at the moment as I have just tested positive for Covid (faint line on the RAT) ... I've been feeling absolutely dreadful for the past couple of days so it's somewhat of a relief as to "what" is causing it, but I'm freaking out as I live alone in the middle of nowhere and my chest feels very tight (going through to my back) - or does it? Maybe my anxiety is imagining it?

I'm going to go and make a pot of tea and get lost in a TV series to take my mind off it.

• Heart

Sibz

VIP Member
I was a very shy child and depressed/anxious teenager, I think if I had grown up in the current era I would have been diagnosed with MH issues and given medication. So I feel lucky that I naturally overcame it as I got older. I think you only get past anxiety if you gradually expose yourself to things that you fear and trigger you, avoidance keeps you trapped and scared.

It seems like a paradox but if you have social anxiety the best thing is to get a job that is public facing like working on a reception desk or checkout in retail, yes it's terrifying at first and you wont think you can do it, but it soon becomes second nature talking to new people and you wonder what you were so scared of. If you make a tit of yourself it's great because you will probably never see that person again, so you can get over it quick. You don't have time to dwell on it either as the next customer is waiting after them.

ATV2021

VIP Member
I've had GAD for longer than I realised (just thought I was an over-worrier...but 24/7) until diagnosed in my 20s and then body dysmorphic disorder followed after weight loss. I was doing so well. Even after significant bereavements in my life/losing my house etc and I expected a breakdown but it didn't come. I think it's coming now mind - 5 years down the line. My job is one whereby I have to listen to others problems, trauma etc all day, everyday. I had a few days off as I could feel the boiling point approaching. Work seem to have increased my workload since then rather than helping (bar some tick box exercise on my return...). I panic because I haven't got any parents or grandparents to "fall back on", and the fear of losing my home again rears its head regularly (even though the first time was absolutely not my fault and nothing to do with finances - Mum died/housing association evicted because of that) but I can't shake the fear hence the worry that its all creeping up on me. I've tried meds and I never felt any different. I do regular exercise to try release endorphins and it does...for an hour. I've removed a lot of friends from my life as I realised that they were actually not friends at all - guess it's made my world smaller but then I was feeling worse about how they were treating me (and this was a big step in removing toxic people from my life as I'd definitely just clung onto people who didn't deserve my time or energy). They never did anything for me, not even on birthdays, and I don't think wanting to be made special once in a while is a bad thing.

I did resort to contacting Samaritans. They're all very kind but having random anonymous people being able to empathise and recognise what my friends can't (and yes I was open/honest with my "friends" but just got back how hard life was for them too....when they have living relatives, partners etc and no anxiety disorders) makes me feel quite sad. I do get people without can't necessarily understand but don't say "oh well it's tough for everyone" or similar.

Think I've offloaded a bit here 😆 sorry lol

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I had a particularly bad day on Saturday, triggered by stress and a rejection (employment related), I've been worrying about multiple issues. I managed to distress my partner considerably, I feel awful about it because he is unwell and in a lot of pain.
A month or so ago, I applied for a course of CBT. I had an assessment, followed by a session a week ago. At the end of it, I was tearful and felt vulnerable. So I've cancelled the sessions, I don't think this is the right therapy for me, I will try to seek alternatives.
Everything seems so difficult at the moment, I am unable to sleep as well.

• Heart

Jaxie

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with Bipolar and BPD after a suicide attempt, spent a week at an inpatient facility and a further week at an outpatient facility before being allowed back out in the community, came out with lots of support. Since then I had had one further relapse and spent a week at an outpatient facility again to give myself a break, redo my meds and to organise social supports for me. Since then I have been stable, held down a job for 8 months (the longest I have ever held down a job for), got married and life is good. Have the occasional up and downs but nothing like they were. I have always been open on job applications about having a mental illness which I think went against me, but the job I have now have no problem with it and see it as I have lived experience and am better suited caring for others like me because I understand and can show more empathy toward them.

I can tell you having a suicide attempt really shows you who your friends and family really are!

• Heart

Dianne

Chatty Member
Don't feel guilty about it, I had to take 2 weeks off work once due to bad anxiety, and I would be the type who is very diligent about work and hates missing a day due to illness. I felt guilty at the time but after talking through it with family I changed my mindset and then didn't feel one bit guilty.
The doctor put a chest infection or something on the sick note for me, if you don't feel comfortable disclosing MH issues to your employer.
I didn’t know drs could lie about the reason! I’m off work this week with anxiety, wish I’d have known that.

Rodneytrotter

Chatty Member
Going back tomorrow after a couple of days off. My work dont know but i have ptsd, I sometimes get what my dr refers to as acute stress response which makes me become very 'fight or flight' very quickly. if anyone asks if im OK im just going to say 'yes thanks'. If they ask what was wrong I'll just say a headache I think! My work is very gossipy and unsympathetic to MH issues.

I hope everyone here is doing good.

• Heart

Tommyb

Chatty Member
Yes. Health anxiety which led to OCD aswell. A couple of years ago I was really bad. I was so poorly. It was so bad the stress and breakdown turned parts of my hair white 😔

Never been medicated or had therapy. If I'm honest I probably needed both. Thank god for my mum ❤

It's taken a long time but it lives at the back of my mind now and rears its head every now and again but for the most part I cope relatively well.

Stay strong everyone 💪

• Heart
Reactions: 5

VioletButterfly

VIP Member
I have MPD due to early childhood trauma, and I just feel alone, odd as that seems when you’re multiple. I tried a few mpd forums, but they don’t work for me. I’ve been dealing with it since ‘73, but I have a hard time when one of the younger ones get hurt feelings. There is a struggle to ignore, or deal with it. And how as a 67 year old woman, do you tell someone “I’m sorry but you’ve hurt the feelings of my toddler self, and you’re not being nice.“. I Hope it’s 0k just barging in, I don’t know how else to enter. And I have an unhealthy fear of insulting or upsetting people.
Good luck with the new Dr @MrsBsDayOff I always freak out when that instrument comes out. I‘ve knocked over test tubes, I don’t react well. I bet a man invented it!

• Heart

Carapop

VIP Member
I'm going for a gynae exam tomorrow and in absolute bits about it with panic. I've tried twice before to get smears and on neither occasion could the nurse get the speculum in as (despite trying to stay calm) I tensed so much and got panic attacks.

I'm thinking of listening to some upbeat music on earphones during the exam to distract me.

Right now I'm expecting she won't be able to get the speculum in, AGAIN. I have to get the bus to the GP surgery as I know I'll be too shaky on the way home to drive my car safely.

Anyone else have this problem or have any advice?

Damn right. Staffing is on their plate to cover, not yours.
oh you poor thing that sounds horrible. Have you spoken to the doctor about it? Are they providing any support beyond recommending you relax? (The one word guaranteed to make on least likely to relax!) could you try listening to a guided meditation or breathing exercises? Worst case scenario surely they could give you a one off Valium or Xanax to relax your muscles and quiet your mind.

I just get to the point with work where I think ‘ you either help me, or I’ll have to go off sick’. And it’s just stupid because then it’s worse for them because they then have to cover a whole job instead of just trying to lessen the workload to keep that member of staff in work.

I just got signed off for 3 weeks, can’t be arsed. I’m grumpy.
You look after you. We are but cogs in their machines. I have been there. I was doing twelve hours days (paid for 8 hours) doing my work and the work of my boss (who was on stress leave!). Thought I was irreplaceable and it would all collapse without me. My body gave in. Emergency surgery. A week in hospital. Four months off work. Everything ticked along fine in my absence. Suddenly everyone else found space on their full plates. The priorities were reprioritised. My role was actually absorbed by the rest of the team and I returned to a brand new job. Hilarious.

sorry! Tangent. But the crux is fuck them, your health and well being is what gives you life

• Heart

Dianne

Chatty Member
I just get to the point with work where I think ‘ you either help me, or I’ll have to go off sick’. And it’s just stupid because then it’s worse for them because they then have to cover a whole job instead of just trying to lessen the workload to keep that member of staff in work.

• Heart

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
I'm going for a gynae exam tomorrow and in absolute bits about it with panic. I've tried twice before to get smears and on neither occasion could the nurse get the speculum in as (despite trying to stay calm) I tensed so much and got panic attacks.

I'm thinking of listening to some upbeat music on earphones during the exam to distract me.

Right now I'm expecting she won't be able to get the speculum in, AGAIN. I have to get the bus to the GP surgery as I know I'll be too shaky on the way home to drive my car safely.

Anyone else have this problem or have any advice?

Damn right. Staffing is on their plate to cover, not yours.

• Heart

MeeShellMahBell

Yes.
Recently diagnosed with a type of schizoid personality disorder.

It causes me to be emotionless and cold. I favour solitude and shun people. I've no interest in relationships or sex or friends etc.

It's not hard to live with tbh, I don't feel distress or suicidal etc. But I neither feel joy or hope.

Make of that what you will.

Reactions: 4

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
oh you poor thing that sounds horrible. Have you spoken to the doctor about it? Are they providing any support beyond recommending you relax? (The one word guaranteed to make on least likely to relax!) could you try listening to a guided meditation or breathing exercises? Worst case scenario surely they could give you a one off Valium or Xanax to relax your muscles and quiet your mind.

You look after you. We are but cogs in their machines. I have been there. I was doing twelve hours days (paid for 8 hours) doing my work and the work of my boss (who was on stress leave!). Thought I was irreplaceable and it would all collapse without me. My body gave in. Emergency surgery. A week in hospital. Four months off work. Everything ticked along fine in my absence. Suddenly everyone else found space on their full plates. The priorities were reprioritised. My role was actually absorbed by the rest of the team and I returned to a brand new job. Hilarious.

sorry! Tangent. But the crux is fuck them, your health and well being is what gives you life
Thanks for your comment, I mentioned it to the doctor over the phone today (I was almost in tears explaining that i'd had a bad speculum experience twice before) and she was sympathetic and said something like 'we'll try make it easy for you'. I hope she's nice in person, she is a new GP in this surgery. They have on my medical notes already that I'm treated in this surgery for anxiety (I take antidepressants). Yeah I really hope she offers valium.
I'll let you know how it goes.

• Heart

1001 others

VIP Member
If so, air it out here. I myself suffer from anxiety and social anxiety - it's horrible. Some days I can't bear it.

I've been to the hospital and GP countless times to get seen to for my anxiety. I've been on meds numerous times to help my anxiety.

Thankfully I am not a really depressive person. A friend of a friend recently killed himself due to pressure and he was very depressed.

I myself, I've been suffering with MH conditions for over a decade now. I am 33 now, but my first real panic attack was back when I was around 21 y/o.

Anyway, do any of you suffer with mental health conditions? If so, what do you suffer from? Are you getting help or on meds?
I suffer from anxiety, which can be extremely debilitating; I've had it for almost 30 years and it was triggered by a succession of events. I have to be extremely careful about what I watch on TV, listen to on talk radio, and see in print, which I'm good at doing. At my worse, I will shake (uncontrollably), find it hard to breathe, and start vomiting.

I take Sertraline (have done for years) - before this, I tried several other drugs but suffered side effects with every single one. Sertraline sort of numbs everything ... it can't stop an anxiety attack in its tracks though.

I have done, and do, cognitive based therapy sessions via online and in person ... these are a great help; and I surround myself with things and people that keep me balanced (I do at least recognise triggers). I also attend a support group from time to time.

Lately, I've been wondering if I might have ADHD/OCD too; however, my GP is confident it's more likely to be symptoms of menopause.

I used to feel very alone in having to take medication for mental health issues, but during the first Covid lockdown suddenly realised how many people take it in my community when the pharmacy ran out of Sertraline!

It's nothing to be ashamed about; although I'm disappointed to share that I have had former friends and family members scoff and say that "anxiety" is something that everybody has, and who have said that anyone who claims it as an illness is self-serving. Ignorance at its finest!

Lord Farquad

Chatty Member
Hello everyone,

I wondered if you might be able to help me. I’ve been poorly for years but only received an official diagnosis around 3 months ago. I’ve been diagnosed with EUPD and am currently on a trial of anti-psychotics. I’m being monitored closely to check my body responds to the drug.

For the past three years I haven’t been well enough to work due to random psychotic breaks. I’ve been hospitalised 3 times. I can go weeks feeling and looking completely normal and then wake up like a different person. It’s so random, I’m unable to plan things very far in advance. We are hoping the medication will help this. My psychiatrist is confident but I’m very wary.

Anyway, I’ve been living on my savings and not claiming anything at all. He told me I may be eligible for PIP due to my diagnosis and medication on record etc. I’ve just started the process and I’m waiting for the claim form to arrive. Does anybody have experience with this? I genuinely think I won’t qualify because as I said, I can be a completely happy and normal person for weeks at a time. It’s like there’s 2 different people living in my head.

PIP would definitely be helpful as I could stop dipping into my savings until I’m stable enough (fingers crossed) to go back to work.

A x

• Heart

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I have suffered with social anxiety all my life. I also go through periods of depression, I am going through one at the moment. These last two years have been some of the most difficult in my life, I'm not just talking about the pandemic. I'm talking about things that have happened on a personal level.
I have spoken about some of the difficulties I have experienced, in other threads on Tattle, so I won't bother repeating them here. I am lucky to have a supportive partner, but he has his own health problems. I prefer not to go down the medication route, I would rather try talking therapies. But that is just me. I should also add, that I tend to do a lot of comfort eating, when I am stressed or unhappy. I do not recommend this.
Anyone who says that anxiety and mental health issues happen to everyone, needs to walk in our shoes. If someone has a broken leg, we can sympathise with them because we can see the symptoms. Mental health is much more complex, and can be difficult to understand.

Last edited:
  • Heart