Anyone here suffer from mental health issues?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If so, air it out here. I myself suffer from anxiety and social anxiety - it's horrible. Some days I can't bear it.

I've been to the hospital and GP countless times to get seen to for my anxiety. I've been on meds numerous times to help my anxiety.

Thankfully I am not a really depressive person. A friend of a friend recently killed himself due to pressure and he was very depressed.

I myself, I've been suffering with MH conditions for over a decade now. I am 33 now, but my first real panic attack was back when I was around 21 y/o.

Anyway, do any of you suffer with mental health conditions? If so, what do you suffer from? Are you getting help or on meds?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
If so, air it out here. I myself suffer from anxiety and social anxiety - it's horrible. Some days I can't bear it.

I've been to the hospital and GP countless times to get seen to for my anxiety. I've been on meds numerous times to help my anxiety.

Thankfully I am not a really depressive person. A friend of a friend recently killed himself due to pressure and he was very depressed.

I myself, I've been suffering with MH conditions for over a decade now. I am 33 now, but my first real panic attack was back when I was around 21 y/o.

Anyway, do any of you suffer with mental health conditions? If so, what do you suffer from? Are you getting help or on meds?
I suffer from anxiety, which can be extremely debilitating; I've had it for almost 30 years and it was triggered by a succession of events. I have to be extremely careful about what I watch on TV, listen to on talk radio, and see in print, which I'm good at doing. At my worse, I will shake (uncontrollably), find it hard to breathe, and start vomiting.

I take Sertraline (have done for years) - before this, I tried several other drugs but suffered side effects with every single one. Sertraline sort of numbs everything ... it can't stop an anxiety attack in its tracks though.

I have done, and do, cognitive based therapy sessions via online and in person ... these are a great help; and I surround myself with things and people that keep me balanced (I do at least recognise triggers). I also attend a support group from time to time.

Lately, I've been wondering if I might have ADHD/OCD too; however, my GP is confident it's more likely to be symptoms of menopause.

I used to feel very alone in having to take medication for mental health issues, but during the first Covid lockdown suddenly realised how many people take it in my community when the pharmacy ran out of Sertraline!

It's nothing to be ashamed about; although I'm disappointed to share that I have had former friends and family members scoff and say that "anxiety" is something that everybody has, and who have said that anyone who claims it as an illness is self-serving. Ignorance at its finest!

Reactions: 4
I have suffered with social anxiety all my life. I also go through periods of depression, I am going through one at the moment. These last two years have been some of the most difficult in my life, I'm not just talking about the pandemic. I'm talking about things that have happened on a personal level.
I have spoken about some of the difficulties I have experienced, in other threads on Tattle, so I won't bother repeating them here. I am lucky to have a supportive partner, but he has his own health problems. I prefer not to go down the medication route, I would rather try talking therapies. But that is just me. I should also add, that I tend to do a lot of comfort eating, when I am stressed or unhappy. I do not recommend this.
Anyone who says that anxiety and mental health issues happen to everyone, needs to walk in our shoes. If someone has a broken leg, we can sympathise with them because we can see the symptoms. Mental health is much more complex, and can be difficult to understand.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I suffer from anxiety, which can be extremely debilitating; I've had it for almost 30 years and it was triggered by a succession of events. I have to be extremely careful about what I watch on TV, listen to on talk radio, and see in print, which I'm good at doing. At my worse, I will shake (uncontrollably), find it hard to breathe, and start vomiting.

I take Sertraline (have done for years) - before this, I tried several other drugs but suffered side effects with every single one. Sertraline sort of numbs everything ... it can't stop an anxiety attack in its tracks though.

I have done, and do, cognitive based therapy sessions via online and in person ... these are a great help; and I surround myself with things and people that keep me balanced (I do at least recognise triggers). I also attend a support group from time to time.

Lately, I've been wondering if I might have ADHD/OCD too; however, my GP is confident it's more likely to be symptoms of menopause.

I used to feel very alone in having to take medication for mental health issues, but during the first Covid lockdown suddenly realised how many people take it in my community when the pharmacy ran out of Sertraline!

It's nothing to be ashamed about; although I'm disappointed to share that I have had former friends and family members scoff and say that "anxiety" is something that everybody has, and who have said that anyone who claims it as an illness is self-serving. Ignorance at its finest!
Sorry for late reply. I made this thread and totally forgot. Yeah so many people seem to be on meds these days. I think it's just the way it is these days as so many people are stressed out.

It sounds like you've been on a journey. 30 years is a long time. I think mine is hereditary. You are the same as me, I also have triggers. I have also been back n forth to doctors and hospital, getting tests for some health concerns. This is the worse for me as It's all waiting, waiting, waiting on results etc. This makes me super anxious and I struggle to sleep, shake, sweat, you name it.

How are you coping with your mental health these days?

I have suffered with social anxiety all my life. I also go through periods of depression, I am going through one at the moment. These last two years have been some of the most difficult in my life, I'm not just talking about the pandemic. I'm talking about things that have happened on a personal level.
I have spoken about some of the difficulties I have experienced, in other threads on Tattle, so I won't bother repeating them here. I am lucky to have a supportive partner, but he has his own health problems. I prefer not to go down the medication route, I would rather try talking therapies. But that is just me. I should also add, that I tend to do a lot of comfort eating, when I am stressed or unhappy. I do not recommend this.
Anyone who says that anxiety and mental health issues happen to everyone, needs to walk in our shoes. If someone has a broken leg, we can sympathise with them because we can see the symptoms. Mental health is much more complex, and can be difficult to understand.
Yeah I agree about mental health is so often overlooked because it isn't something people can see. I know people in other countries, one being in Kenya. The mental health issues out there are overlooked and not taken seriously.

Sadly, this has led to many men committing suicide because they get very little help. Across the world it seems that mental health issues are often overlooked. We do a better job in this country at diagnosing and treating, but it's still not ideal.

Yeah, there's a difference between feeling down and having depression or anxiety disorder. The latter can be and are debilitating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Yes 100% as for as long as I can remember… have been on medication for about 8 years now, to be honest I don’t think I’ll ever be fully off them. A recent bereavement due to suicide in my family has torn me apart, I’ve gained a lot of weight and just seem to be in survival mode… going to work and that’s it. I’m going to get help and I need to look after myself better.

• Heart
Yes.
Recently diagnosed with a type of schizoid personality disorder.

It causes me to be emotionless and cold. I favour solitude and shun people. I've no interest in relationships or sex or friends etc.

It's not hard to live with tbh, I don't feel distress or suicidal etc. But I neither feel joy or hope.

Make of that what you will.

Yes. Health anxiety which led to OCD aswell. A couple of years ago I was really bad. I was so poorly. It was so bad the stress and breakdown turned parts of my hair white 😔

Never been medicated or had therapy. If I'm honest I probably needed both. Thank god for my mum ❤

It's taken a long time but it lives at the back of my mind now and rears its head every now and again but for the most part I cope relatively well.

Stay strong everyone 💪

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yes.
Recently diagnosed with a type of schizoid personality disorder.

It causes me to be emotionless and cold. I favour solitude and shun people. I've no interest in relationships or sex or friends etc.

It's not hard to live with tbh, I don't feel distress or suicidal etc. But I neither feel joy or hope.

Make of that what you will.
Welcome to Tattle. Best wishes to you.

Reactions: 2
Hey 👋 I have suffered from anxiety since 21 when I had a panic attack abroad I suddenly felt scared couldn’t sleep and it lasted most of the week it was petrifying. Since then my anxiety has been the Bain of my life 😭 i had just left uni and I think going into the real world triggered it. I’d been a nervous shy child so was already a bit that way never wanting to leave my mom till year 5 and crying to go in to school most days. I have adhd and not sure how much symptoms are caused by that tbh. But since 21 I’ve suffered horribly. Some times I’ll have better periods and sometimes worse for example the last month for me has been hell my ocd has really played up I keep getting intrusive thoughts and i had a awful panic attack which basically last two days I can never seem to calm down very well :( usually need diazepam to help to come out of it. I’m usually sick and shaky and the fear is just awful. It’s nice to relate to people. I’m on sertraline and also currently doing CBT with the nhs it took two years for the appointment. I’m hoping this helps and it feels like it’s helped so far and now I know it’s ocd and not me it’s really helped me have hope for the future but some days are still harder than others. Because of my anxiety I’m not like other 29 year olds I still live at home and really rely on my family for emotional support which makes me feel really guilty and tit but I feel so weak and helpless at times that I don’t know what to do :( I’ll get there I guess. Also when I have pms my symptoms get a lot worse. I have tried cutting caffeine and sugar out but I haven’t noticed much change or less symptoms :( xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m not sure if this is the thread for this, but I was wondering if anyone has come off Duloxetine and had mood swings once stopping it completely? At first I was so irritated and felt actual rage building up inside me, and also random bouts of crying. But this second week being off it I’m having weird laughing attacks like I can’t actually breathe from laughing. It’s in response to something funny, but my god, not that funny. Has anyone experienced this coming off Anti Depressants? I was on them for 2 years.

I’m not sure if this is the thread for this, but I was wondering if anyone has come off Duloxetine and had mood swings once stopping it completely? At first I was so irritated and felt actual rage building up inside me, and also random bouts of crying. But this second week being off it I’m having weird laughing attacks like I can’t actually breathe from laughing. It’s in response to something funny, but my god, not that funny. Has anyone experienced this coming off Anti Depressants? I was on them for 2 years.
There’s a depression thread, which may be of use. everyone is really kind over there and probably experienced something similar x

Oh definitely.

I have some very dark depressive episodes and have been seriously depressive since my early teens (am 42).
I've been medicated for that on and off - sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.
I paid for private counselling for a couple of years which was somewhat helpful, but I could never afford that again (it was only affordable then because it was a pay-what-you-can-afford situation, there's nothing like that around now).
The NHS sent me for a short course (like 3 months maybe?) of IPT which would maybe have been useful if I could have continued it longer term. It was just getting good when it was over. I accessed this after making a case for CBT over the phone being unsuitable. I hate that there's this Trial By CBT now that you have to go through to access anything more/actually helpful.
There is definitely more to my MH issues than depression, probably some type of social anxiety or similar in the mix, probably a massive personality disorder. Making friends is hard, keeping friends is harder, and at times I've been so lonely it physically hurts. I take things very personally and deeply and some early instances of this have really shaped my life.

I get by, most of the time. I'm seldom super happy. After all this time I've kinda come to the conclusion that, objectively speaking, I'm just basically not a very nice person who is also deeply flawed and unlikeable, especially by myself, and it's probably too late to do anything about it.
I'm just trying to raise my kid to do and be better than me, to try things, be social, be kind, not hold grudges, to ask for help at the first signs of sadness and to give her the best help and support I can.
That'll be the best thing I can do for myself now.

I was a very shy child and depressed/anxious teenager, I think if I had grown up in the current era I would have been diagnosed with MH issues and given medication. So I feel lucky that I naturally overcame it as I got older. I think you only get past anxiety if you gradually expose yourself to things that you fear and trigger you, avoidance keeps you trapped and scared.

It seems like a paradox but if you have social anxiety the best thing is to get a job that is public facing like working on a reception desk or checkout in retail, yes it's terrifying at first and you wont think you can do it, but it soon becomes second nature talking to new people and you wonder what you were so scared of. If you make a tit of yourself it's great because you will probably never see that person again, so you can get over it quick. You don't have time to dwell on it either as the next customer is waiting after them.

Reactions: 7
Yes, I have anxiety and mild to moderate depression, largely under control these days with medication and management of my lifestyle/thought patterns.
There are certain triggers - if I don't sleep well my anxiety ramps up a bit. I avoid early flights at all costs and try to nap during the day if I get tired.

I tried reducing my meds a few months ago and it was a disaster, I felt awful after 3 days and could not concentrate at work, I had to go back on the 10mg dose.

There is help out there for you, I know what it's like to feel rock bottom and there is a way back. I started by going to my GP who prescribed meds and also recommended a therapist who I went to for a while.

Yes, mostly anxiety but also suffer with ptsd and suffer with extremely low days including today. Im working myself up to telling my boss that I've been signed off for a week 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yes, mostly anxiety but also suffer with ptsd and suffer with extremely low days including today. Im working myself up to telling my boss that I've been signed off for a week 😭
Don't feel guilty about it, I had to take 2 weeks off work once due to bad anxiety, and I would be the type who is very diligent about work and hates missing a day due to illness. I felt guilty at the time but after talking through it with family I changed my mindset and then didn't feel one bit guilty.
The doctor put a chest infection or something on the sick note for me, if you don't feel comfortable disclosing MH issues to your employer.

Don't feel guilty about it, I had to take 2 weeks off work once due to bad anxiety, and I would be the type who is very diligent about work and hates missing a day due to illness. I felt guilty at the time but after talking through it with family I changed my mindset and then didn't feel one bit guilty.
The doctor put a chest infection or something on the sick note for me, if you don't feel comfortable disclosing MH issues to your employer.
Thank you for the reassurance 🙏

Did you feel ok going back after 2 weeks or was it difficult?

I went in this morning, sat in the car park in tears, trying to pull myself together, do my deep breathing etc but just couldn't. Went into the building and told my boss I needed to leave and she said fine but nobody has contacted me and I know the school (I'm a teacher) are struggling financially and cannot afford supply teachers. Im embarrassed as on my way out I was visibly upset and had to walk past lots of staff as they were arriving, I wished I was invisible.

I feel I'm letting the children in my class down and the staff down. Also I'm paranoid I'll be gossiped about.

Reactions: 3