Anxiety around christmas support thread - financial, family situations etc.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My stand out memories from Christmas as a child are new Pyjamas on Xmas eve (so we looked good in the photos mum took on Xmas morning), Xmas films with my sister, playing board games, mum waking up super early to cook the turkey, looking through the TV magazine and circling all the things we wanted to watch (and never getting to watch them as dad wanted to watch different things and we only had 1 TV but dad would fall asleep on the sofa after dinner so then we took over!), a box of chocolate biscuits, a tin of roses, turkey sandwiches in the evening and that's it! I honestly can't remember a single present. It was about family and a few treats we never normally had.
Even as an adult, one of my favourite things about Christmas is still new PJs on christmas eve!

Reactions: 4
Even as an adult, one of my favourite things about Christmas is still new PJs on christmas eve!
Totally agree! My mum still buys me and my sister new jammies for Xmas eve and we're in our 30s 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So I’m fortunate in the sense that I only have one child and my one child is the only child in the wider family so not a lot of children to buy for, however my fellas family expects gifts off us, and there’s a few of them. His mum, an auntie, two (adult) cousins and their partners - and they don’t want like little presents they usually have requirements of fancy brands and stuff and it fucks me off.
My partner isn’t working and this will be the second Christmas in a row that I pay for it all and I find myself thinking bleeping hell how am I gonna do it all alone AGAIN.
I hate adults who demand lots of specific presents, they should buy stuff themselves if they want it that much. I would be just buying something generic and affordable, if that .

Reactions: 13
I hate adults who demand lots of specific presents, they should buy stuff themselves if they want it that much. I would be just buying something generic and affordable, if that .
I prefer a gift list as I would always rather buy someone something they want, but I would never demand expensive things. I think this is because I hate presents for the sake of presents.

I would rather have nothing than someone spend £10 on a boots gift set that I probably wouldn't use.

I also prefer experiences. Me and my best friend go for afternoon tea or to a show instead of buying gifts for each other.

Thankfully I only have to buy for my sister and her fiance and my mum. We don't buy for extended family and my husbands family don't celebrate Christmas.

I honestly can't remember a single present. It was about family and a few treats we never normally had.
I think this is the problem. I am guilty of it but kids get far too much these days.

When I was a child days out were reserved for your birthday. Maybe taken to the cinema if a movie I really wanted to see was out but would never be allowed popcorn or snacks at the cinema, couldnt afford it.

My kids seem to have days out so regularly and I do feel the pressure to do it and I blame social media, without it you wouldnt know what other people were doing. So I do get why people feel that the thing we did as kids arent enough because kids get so much more day to day.

I hate it but cant seem to stop. I am v mindful though and dont post much to my social media as I dont want other people to feel that pressure based off what I post. :(

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Is anyone else worried about Christmas this year? My money situation has changed so I can’t buy my children a lot and it’s making me really worry, I know it’s not about the gifts but I don’t want them to feel let down. I feel like a failure to be honest 😣
Hi, just wanted to echo what others have said on here, kids remember how they felt rather than what they got. I got loads for Christmas as a kid, not because we were well off but the opposite so my parents went mad at Christmas out of guilt for saying no to do much the rest of the year. And I don’t remember a single present! But I do remember my Nan being with us, playing games, doing quizzes and her answering questions for the other team, going out for a walk and Christmas telly. It was only the 5 of us so a chilled but content day.
Now I’m in a fortunate position financially but I still try not to spoil my kids as it is just one day and mine do get ‘stuff’ throughout the year.
As others have said, go for thoughtful gifts and if possible, what your kids want. They’d appreciate getting one or two gifts they really want rather than a load of random ones so that it looks good under the tree.
As others have said on here there’s lots of things you can do with your kids to give them a magical experience of Christmas - a walk on a cold (maybe snowy/frosty 🤷‍♀️) day and a hot chocolate after, Christmas movies, a walk or a drive around your local area at night to see other houses lights/decorations, getting your kids to help decorate your tree/house, maybe make some decs if you’re crafty, or they could make Christmas cards for family members, I’m sure others on here will have other ideas that are free or cheap.
Im not keen on the pressure that the elf of the shelf brings but you could pick one up from the pound shop and maybe just hide him each evening and get the kids to look for him? Even just a week before Christmas instead of the whole month - like we haven’t got enough to be doing 😂
I loved someone’s idea of pick and mix gifts from the pound shop - could be a winner depending on your children’s ages. I might steal that for my little ones ☺
Whatever you do or don’t do, I’m sure your kids will have a lovely day and as we’ve all said, in years to come they’ll remember your love, time, attention and effort rather than how many gifts they got or how much was spent on them.
And avoid social media too - that’s a sure fire way to make you feel like tit.
You’re doing a great job, it’s a tough time but you can and will make it special. Hope you get to enjoy it too 🥰

I think this is the problem. I am guilty of it but kids get far too much these days.

When I was a child days out were reserved for your birthday. Maybe taken to the cinema if a movie I really wanted to see was out but would never be allowed popcorn or snacks at the cinema, couldnt afford it.

My kids seem to have days out so regularly and I do feel the pressure to do it and I blame social media, without it you wouldnt know what other people were doing. So I do get why people feel that the thing we did as kids arent enough because kids get so much more day to day.

I hate it but cant seem to stop. I am v mindful though and dont post much to my social media as I dont want other people to feel that pressure based off what I post. :(
Off topic slightly but I had this conversation with my friend the other week. When I was a kid weekends were for either visiting family or playing out with my friends from my street. I don't remember going somewhere "special" every weekend! Now it feels like every weekend people are taking their kids places, probably cause they feel like they have to. I wonder if now cause of SM, there's pressure to entertain your kids all the time?

Reactions: 7
I've always disliked Christmas due to the financial aspect and also the family stuff. Please I'm in another country so I don't have to deal with it too much. I love our little community on here. ❤

Reactions: 2
I really wish that as adults we could all have that conversation in our families and agree not to buy Christmas presents for the grown ups. I’m not a tight-arse and I love buying a gift for someone, but I like to take my time and give someone something thoughtful when they need it. I hate the present giving aspect of Christmas because to me, there’s nothing more horrible than the endless piles of tat that we’re made to feel we have to give and want at Christmas. Genuinely, does anyone ever really want or need a Baylis and Harding gift set or a Lynx deodorant in a box?

There are lovely things about Christmas but at this time of year I find myself becoming such a grump about the whole thing and I can only imagine what it’s like if you have kids - I’m not that old but when I was young, Christmas was just a few gifts on Christmas day, a bigger than normal roast dinner and some extra chocolates and stuff. We didn’t have Christmas Eve boxes, Christmas Eve Eve boxes, new pyjamas for Christmas Eve, treasure hunts, Santa footprints, Reindeer food and all that. What was once someone’s bright idea on Facebook has now become a stick to beat people with and it’s all nonsense. Sorry, grump over but I hate the pressure people (women …) are put under at Christmas. I have genuinely thought about converting to a religion that doesn’t celebrate it but as an agnostic that’s probably a bit extreme …

Reactions: 6
I've been honest with my children this year and said how tight things are, mine are 11, 15 and 16 and they've all said as long as we are all together it doesn't matter, I've bought small things throughout the year to wràp up so they have stuff under the tree, and would recommend doing that for next Christmas. I used to do elf on the shelf every year but my kids have now taken on the roll and try and out do each other which is hilarious especially having two teenagers 🤣 just remember money doesn't buy you happiness, you can make it magical with nothing 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My memories of Christmas weren’t the big presents, my usual presents (which were the most fun and usually not expensive) were something to eat, something to drink(when I was of drinking age) something to read, something to watch. TK Maxx quite often has unusual food, drink, smelly’s that don’t cost the earth.

Reactions: 1
Not the same as OP, but Christmas gives me a lot of anxiety. I absolutely dread making familial plans every year as they are all so difficult. No matter how my husband and I decide to split seeing his family vs mine, my MIL always ends up annoyed and a witch about it. Not to mention my mother being so awkward with agreeing to plans.

I wish I was going abroad this year.

• Heart
So I’m fortunate in the sense that I only have one child and my one child is the only child in the wider family so not a lot of children to buy for, however my fellas family expects gifts off us, and there’s a few of them. His mum, an auntie, two (adult) cousins and their partners - and they don’t want like little presents they usually have requirements of fancy brands and stuff and it fucks me off.
My partner isn’t working and this will be the second Christmas in a row that I pay for it all and I find myself thinking bleeping hell how am I gonna do it all alone AGAIN.
I would have your partner explain that he's not doing gifts this year as he's not working. Or maybe suggest a Secret Santa so everyone gets a gift but you only have to buy one! Surely as adults they understand that he can't give expensive presents when he's not working. And you're expected to pay for the presents for his adult cousins? Nah. I would nip that in the bud!

I have a bunch of nieces and nephews to buy for and love the idea of a 'lucky dip' from @WilmaHun. I have tried to 'phase out' some of the nieces and nephews over the years (lol!) but everybody else keeps buying for them so it's not like I can be the only one to stop, you know? Anyway, I'm sick of buying plastic crap that just ends up thrown in the corner with the rest of their plastic crap. And all these kids seem to want is plastic crap. They have way too much plastic crap. :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Could you tell them you're not buying for adults this year just the kids?
Or, when do you see them? Like do you all gather on Christmas Day to exchange presents? Do you see them much outside of christmas?
Cause if you don't see them much besides the actual day then could you (and I am off straight to hell for this suggestion) pull the covid card? say you've been in close contact and feel safer isolating and avoid christmas with them? Terrible but you wouldn't have to buy them anything as you know you won't be seeing them

My stand out memories from Christmas as a child are new Pyjamas on Xmas eve (so we looked good in the photos mum took on Xmas morning), Xmas films with my sister, playing board games, mum waking up super early to cook the turkey, looking through the TV magazine and circling all the things we wanted to watch (and never getting to watch them as dad wanted to watch different things and we only had 1 TV but dad would fall asleep on the sofa after dinner so then we took over!), a box of chocolate biscuits, a tin of roses, turkey sandwiches in the evening and that's it! I honestly can't remember a single present. It was about family and a few treats we never normally had.
Ahh I use to love looking through the Christmas TV guide!
Also turkey sandwiches are one thing I genuinely miss as a vegetarian. Not the turkey Christmas dinner. The random evening sandwich with crisps and a chunk of cheese 🤣

• Heart
Could you tell them you're not buying for adults this year just the kids?
Or, when do you see them? Like do you all gather on Christmas Day to exchange presents? Do you see them much outside of christmas?
Cause if you don't see them much besides the actual day then could you (and I am off straight to hell for this suggestion) pull the covid card? say you've been in close contact and feel safer isolating and avoid christmas with them? Terrible but you wouldn't have to buy them anything as you know you won't be seeing them
So seeing them is the other problem 😅 every year we host (either Christmas Day or a few days after) which costs us a lot of money in food, drink, and also my sanity 🤣 They also never invite us over to theirs 🤷🏽‍♀️ Howeverrrrr this year as we’ve had a tough year as a family we’ve fallen out a lot and I’m seriously considering not having them over. Mr Peaches can take little peaches over there one afternoon during the Christmas break, I won’t have to see them or spend any money on feeding them and hopefully I’ll get away with not getting them presents too 😅😅
If it all goes tits up I’m deffo faking Covid 🤣🤣

Reactions: 6
Ahh I use to love looking through the Christmas TV guide!
Also turkey sandwiches are one thing I genuinely miss as a vegetarian. Not the turkey Christmas dinner. The random evening sandwich with crisps and a chunk of cheese 🤣
The excitement when mum came home with the Xmas TV mag was honestly the best.

My mum makes turkey sandwiches with a sprinkle of salt. Just buttered bread, turkey and salt. Don't know why as she never puts salt on anything but oh my god they are incredible and a proper standout from my childhood.

• Heart
I always used to buy the Radio Times at Christmas, pretty sure it was nearly a fiver last year :eek: I think I bought a cheaper alternative. Ive got the Sky box I dont need the magazine just want it 🙈

Off topic slightly but I had this conversation with my friend the other week. When I was a kid weekends were for either visiting family or playing out with my friends from my street. I don't remember going somewhere "special" every weekend! Now it feels like every weekend people are taking their kids places, probably cause they feel like they have to. I wonder if now cause of SM, there's pressure to entertain your kids all the time?
Where I live my kids can’t play out as it’s not the safest area of London so they can’t have the freedom like I had. Spent my childhood in big parks, adventure playgrounds, friends houses. Also we had youth centres and 50p disco every Thursday run by the mums in the local community centre. We have nothing like that now. Mine are 12 and 13 and are too old for the local small park with kiddie swings. It’s so sad that there isn’t the facilities no more. If I take them out now other than in the summer when we go to the park for free with a picnic it costs me whether it be fares or entry. Alternative is at home where they just want to be on their phones or watch tv whilst I’m getting housework done.

my kids always say they wished they were born when I was as it sounded so fun!

We as a family all agreed a few years back that we’d only buy for the kids. It just seemed pointless wasting money on token gifts when in reality we have all we need. So I buy for nieces and nephews, our own kids and that’s it. Honestly the weight off my shoulders is wonderful! DH and I don’t buy for each other either.

Agree with buying clothes as gifts, gives them more stuff to open. I also do PJs, onesies, new bedding etc if they need it.

I know the cost of food is going up and up but if you can, start buying a few bits to store away for Christmas, Aldi have got loads of stuff in. Pringles are still in there on offer, Christmas puds, snacks, mince pies etc. I’ve just started spending about £2 a week on Christmas stuff if I can. Think I’ve got all that will stay in date so far, so now I’m waiting for the fresh stuff I can freeze to start coming in, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls etc.

The excitement when mum came home with the Xmas TV mag was honestly the best.

My mum makes turkey sandwiches with a sprinkle of salt. Just buttered bread, turkey and salt. Don't know why as she never puts salt on anything but oh my god they are incredible and a proper standout from my childhood.

I can recommend turkey sandwiches, on brown on granary if poss, but not necessary. With.... mango chutney. Beautiful.