Anxiety around christmas support thread - financial, family situations etc.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone else worried about Christmas this year? My money situation has changed so I can’t buy my children a lot and it’s making me really worry, I know it’s not about the gifts but I don’t want them to feel let down. I feel like a failure to be honest 😣

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I promise you that your children will not remember less gifts under the tree when they think back of their childhood Christmases. They’ll think of family time and being together. My family went through peaks and valleys with money during my childhood but I didn’t really notice that at the time, and now that I am an adult all I remember is that they did their absolute best for me every single day, and I am filled with gratitude. You’re not a failure, you’re a parent doing their best 💜
It’s been a tough couple of years but things will turn around.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Is anyone else worried about Christmas this year? My money situation has changed so I can’t buy my children a lot and it’s making me really worry, I know it’s not about the gifts but I don’t want them to feel let down. I feel like a failure to be honest 😣
I second what the other poster said, as an adult now, the christmases I preffered are the ones where I was with my family as a whole or with the parent who actually took care of me and loved me not the one with the big christmas party.

Reactions: 10
Hope it’s ok to edit the title so as to be more specific,
I think this could be a really useful thread for a lot of users in the next few weeks ❤

remember Christmas is one day, it’s just one day, it might not be exactly what you hoped for this year but you are clearly a brilliant mum if you’re worried, your kids will be fine (how old are they?) Stop being so hard on yourself because come January the gifts are always forgotten anyway, enjoy the day in other ways and know things will get better ❤

Reactions: 12
Every year 🙃 we are forever skint! Family dynamics are always a delicate balance too. There is always a risk of a fight. We only get 1 present each for the kids, as we are fortunate enough to have lots of family members who get them presents.

Reactions: 5
Yeah I am, I’m worried about a lot money wise, I just want my son to have a nice Christmas, luckily he’s still young so he won’t really have a clue what’s happening but I still want him to get a couple things. I have a big family and nieces and nephews and I want to get them nice things too. My Mum deserves the world and I want to get my boyfriend something nice too cos he deserves it as well. I worry about money constantly, I know the feeling 🙃 you sound like a fab Mum to even be worried. I try and tell myself that the kids don’t remember that one day of the year and that’s all it is ❤

• Heart
Don't have kids, so don't have this worry. However, as the others have said, genuinely what I remember from my own childhood is the day itself. I can pick out memories of things we did and some involve gifts, but mostly they don't. And honestly when I went back to school and talked about 'what did you get' by that point I couldn't remember a lot of them. Sounds bad now, but that's being a kid!

Plan to do something during the day to take the focus off the presents. Depends if you are restricted by visiting people, but get out for a walk, make a gingerbread house, create a scavenger hunt.

Reactions: 9
I grew up poor. I remember some years we had a few presents and I remember one when we had to go to a friends for dinner and all we got was some knickers and we watched my mums friends open all their gifts and I remember feeling sad but I also remember my mum later that day crying and us consoling her saying it didn’t matter and you know what it really didn’t I just didn’t want my mum to be sad.

I did feel envious and jealous and sad sometimes that I never had the Christmases that other people had but I know that our Christmas dinner was a big deal to us, that we had fun making decorations, we still made a big effort and we did have good days.

I’m also in dire straits right now and because of the above I’ve not gone overboard but I have always made sure that they had decent pressies etc. mine are teens which means a lot of stuff is expensive and I do worry but I also have to remind myself that I’m doing my best. When they were younger I literally wrapped every single thing separately so even though they didn’t have loads it looked it to them!

I can honestly say hand on heart although it did bother me somewhat when I was younger we still made efforts and as we got older and we were all working etc we would reminisce and laugh at our “poor christmases”. I’ve never needed therapy because I got only one or two presents. My dear mum is no longer here and I would go back in a heartbeat to our poor Christmas making decorations.

also, ask your kids what they got last year for Christmas. They won’t even remember lol but they will remember mum trying, mum dancing around the living room with you singing Christmas songs and games you played. Trust me

• Heart
I have two ends of this spectrum as I was someone who was piled with stuff from my mum so she would look good but had a very poor dad (they were split) so got very minimal from him. To be brutally honest, I remember my dad's presents a lot more than my mums. 1. Cause there was less of them (usually around 5 things) and 2. because they were things I genuinely wanted. If I asked for a specific CD for example, he'd get me a t-shirt or calendar by that artist. He put more thought into it whereas my mum just threw presents at me completely ignoring what I actually wanted and most of which I didn't like or want (I'll give a small example, she'd buy me bath sets with bombs, bubble bath etc but I had really awful eczema so it sat in the wardrobe until next christmas when she'd use it as a gift for someone else or a raffle and shout at me for not using it). We never actually did anything either. We'd open presents, eat and then go to my nan's for more presents. I hated it as I didn't get on well with my family and really disliked being carted around everywhere.

What I'm getting at is, they are not going to remember everything you bought them. You're better off getting them the stuff they really want and actually putting the effort into spending time with them cause that is what they will remember! Don't be so hard on yourself and I'm sure you're not the only parent worrying about it this year ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Is there any community associations that can help you out with a few things we've got a lot of that kind of support where I live ,maybe you could contact your local CAB they may be able to help .You don't need to feel like a failure there's millions of people will be feeling the pinch this year and Christmas is so over rated anyway this year I'm cutting right down and got my son two things he really wants every year I end up buying stuff that lies unopened because I keep thinking I'm not buying enough and my son is not interested in toys so I end up taking them to the charity shop anyway ,hope things start improving for you soon x

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I'm going to provide a few suggestions that I've used over the years, and hopefully some may prove helpful.

If your kids need new clothes, buy them now but wrap them up for Xmas. My daughter is now in her thirties but tells me that she always looked forward to opening her clothes parcel, especially if there was a new nightie or slippers.

Kids like to be occupied so a game is worthwhile, then later in the day the family can all get together and join in playing the game. As has been said before, it's about enjoyment and making happy memories.

For older teens and adults, Boots have the three for two offer on a great selection of gifts from cheaper to more expensive stuff. Gift sets, smellies, electrical items, even gardening and cooking presents. Use the Boots Advantage Card and get even more off.

Black Friday usually have great offers too. I love visiting Outlets as they give even bigger discounts.

Chocolates - from 99p selection boxes to large bars or boxes of chocolates are starting to be reduced already.

Yankee Candles tend to be welcome and with such a big selection from the smaller ones to the huge ones, as well as the gift sets, there's plenty to suit whatever you can afford.

Try looking in B&M or The Range. Picture frames, gardening or household gifts galore to chose from.

Write a list and don't panic about money. I was once terribly overdrawn so just bought the odd gift each week leading up to Xmas then it didn't seem too bad. And remember, nobody knows when you've bought their present in a sale, they won't even think about it.

Hope this helps.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm going to provide a few suggestions that I've used over the years, and hopefully some may prove helpful.

If your kids need new clothes, buy them now but wrap them up for Xmas. My daughter is now in her thirties but tells me that she always looked forward to opening her clothes parcel, especially if there was a new nightie or slippers.

Kids like to be occupied so a game is worthwhile, then later in the day the family can all get together and join in playing the game. As has been said before, it's about enjoyment and making happy memories.

For older teens and adults, Boots have the three for two offer on a great selection of gifts from cheaper to more expensive stuff. Gift sets, smellies, electrical items, even gardening and cooking presents. Use the Boots Advantage Card and get even more off.

Black Friday usually have great offers too. I love visiting Outlets as they give even bigger discounts.

Chocolates - from 99p selection boxes to large bars or boxes of chocolates are starting to be reduced already.

Yankee Candles tend to be welcome and with such a big selection from the smaller ones to the huge ones, as well as the gift sets, there's plenty to suit whatever you can afford.

Try looking in B&M or The Range. Picture frames, gardening or household gifts galore to chose from.

Write a list and don't panic about money. I was once terribly overdrawn so just bought the odd gift each week leading up to Xmas then it didn't seem too bad. And remember, nobody knows when you've bought their present in a sale, they won't even think about it.

Hope this helps.
also want to add to this. Try eBay! They sometimes have some brilliant sales in the outlet and you can get a lot of stuff secondhand on there which works well for the kids cause lets face it, they wont know whether what you've bought them is new

Reactions: 2
You are absolutely not a failure, I'm sure your children will appreciate whatever you can do for them! My Nan every single Christmas used to do a "lucky dip" where she'd buy really little things, colouring pencils, note book, cheap toys out of the poundshop etc. She'd put a number on each gift and we'd pick a number out of a hat, and then you'd open the corresponding gift. It was so much fun and me and my brother used to enjoy doing the lucky dip more than we'd enjoy opening our actual presents 😂 We used to then trade lucky dip prizes at the end of the day if he got something I wanted etc. It didn't cost a lot and it was so much fun. Could you try something similar?

____

I am also worried about Christmas tbh. We've had an expensive year and our savings have been spent. I'm now thinking "tit, how am I gonna manage it?". I've got no children myself but I come from a large family where everyone buys for everyones children. I have a lot of cousins all with 2 children each. Plus my other halfs neices and nephews so it does get expensive. I don't know how I'm going to manage it, and on the other hand I also don't know how to simply say "no, I'm not doing it this year" because I'll feel guilty. It's playing on my mind a lot tbh.

Last edited:
  • Heart
As a child one of my favourite memories is being happy with being given mini colouring pencils for my birthday from my grandmother. How old are your kids?

I grew up in a abusive house with a lot of domestic violence. When your kids are older they'll see everything that you did do for them and you're 100% not a failure because you can't afford a lot of presents.You've given them a home filled with love and you honestly can't put a price tag on feeling safe .

I remember watching a video where the child got a designer £140 tailor made shirt. It was left discarded on the floor. Thoughtful gifts mean so much more then pricer ones and it's not all about quantity .

As a child one of my favourite memories is being happy with being given mini colouring pencils for my birthday from my grandmother.

I grew up in a abusive house with a lot of domestic violence. When your kids are older they'll see everything that you did do for them and you're 100% not a failure because you can't afford a lot of presents.You've given them a home filled with love and you honestly can't put a price tag on feeling safe .

I remember watching a video where the child got a designer £140 tailor made shirt. It was left discarded on the floor. Thoughtful gifts mean so much more then pricer ones and it's not all about quantity .

Reactions: 2
So I’m fortunate in the sense that I only have one child and my one child is the only child in the wider family so not a lot of children to buy for, however my fellas family expects gifts off us, and there’s a few of them. His mum, an auntie, two (adult) cousins and their partners - and they don’t want like little presents they usually have requirements of fancy brands and stuff and it fucks me off.
My partner isn’t working and this will be the second Christmas in a row that I pay for it all and I find myself thinking bleeping hell how am I gonna do it all alone AGAIN.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Not much to add that hasnt already been said but last year with Covid I really wanted to make Christmas special for my kids.

Every Saturday in December we had a family movie night, Id draw the curtains, light the candles, I got microwave popcorn and we all watched a Christmas movie. Not sure if you have a Netflix subscription but there are loads on there, we particularly liked The Christmas Chronicals (there are 2 of them)

Just last week my eldest said to me 'will we be doing the Christmas movie nights again' and it warmed my heart to know that it stuck out in their mind. If money stretches you can pick up usually christmas themed snacks cheaply. Like santa jelly sweets or whatever.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I was reading this thread earlier and I just wanted to reiterate the point that so many have already made...it's honestly not about the amount of gifts, or the size of your budget. Most of us grow up without having everything we want, if we have parents who have our best interests at heart. Even if you are well-off, it's not responsible to just cater to your child's every whim, they need to know that you have to work and save for things that you want.

I grew up in a single parent household, and it's only as a grown-up, that I can appreciate how poor we were, and how my mum must have struggled. But I can't remember a "bad" Christmas. We always had food (not turkey, just chicken) and presents (not loads, but we always got something that we wanted). We had music and Christmas telly. We had lemonade and chocolate. We had a tree with homemade decorations, and paper chains that we had to lick and stick together which would take a whole evening to make (no internet in those days!)
I can remember going with my mum to my mates house and he had a huge pile of presents under his tree, I was so jealous. Yet he was always round at our house, his parents didn't get on, so I guess his Christmases weren't much fun, no matter how many presents he got.

My mum has a terminal illness, and although she's ok for now, we honestly don't know if it's our last Christmas together. No-one is saying it, but we're all thinking it. So there's a bit of pressure to get it right and to have a good time, even though none of us are really in the mood. It's a bit of a paradox, how do you have a good time, when it's a terrible time?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So I’m fortunate in the sense that I only have one child and my one child is the only child in the wider family so not a lot of children to buy for, however my fellas family expects gifts off us, and there’s a few of them. His mum, an auntie, two (adult) cousins and their partners - and they don’t want like little presents they usually have requirements of fancy brands and stuff and it fucks me off.
My partner isn’t working and this will be the second Christmas in a row that I pay for it all and I find myself thinking bleeping hell how am I gonna do it all alone AGAIN.
Honestly it might cause a bit of a drama, but buying 6 pricey extra presents for extended family members sounds like a joke when you're already on a reduced income. If they already know about your partner I'd give them a nice box of chocolates each and leave it at that.

So there's a bit of pressure to get it right and to have a good time, even though none of us are really in the mood. It's a bit of a paradox, how do you have a good time, when it's a terrible time?
Go with the flow and take it moment by moment. Don't try to force it. It's okay to also end early and schedule more down time where you can be alone if you need to.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
My stand out memories from Christmas as a child are new Pyjamas on Xmas eve (so we looked good in the photos mum took on Xmas morning), Xmas films with my sister, playing board games, mum waking up super early to cook the turkey, looking through the TV magazine and circling all the things we wanted to watch (and never getting to watch them as dad wanted to watch different things and we only had 1 TV but dad would fall asleep on the sofa after dinner so then we took over!), a box of chocolate biscuits, a tin of roses, turkey sandwiches in the evening and that's it! I honestly can't remember a single present. It was about family and a few treats we never normally had.

• Heart