Anti Conspiracy Theories #6 wakey, wakey!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So, the Lineker thing was obviously a distraction......but from what?!
It's a bit concerning how quickly the idea of a story being a normal spin doctor distraction can take on a more conspiracy meaning where it's being done for some evil mind control thing

Reactions: 7
Is it just me or have the CTists really cranked it up a notch recently?
Seems like some of them are completely losing their grip on reality 😳

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Is it just me or have the CTists really cranked it up a notch recently?
Seems like some of them are completely losing their grip on reality 😳
The other time I remember it getting a bit like this, from a slightly different angle, was in 2012 because of the whole (stupid) "end of the world" thing.

Reactions: 6
The other time I remember it getting a bit like this, from a slightly different angle, was in 2012 because of the whole (stupid) "end of the world" thing.
Going back even further, the "millennium bug" (computers not being able to cope with the new century's date format) was supposed to potentially cause planes to drop out of the sky, the banking system to come crashing down, hospitals to stop functioning, and so on. I managed to survive the millenium bug, and I can't remember anything crashing, failing or otherwise not functioning! 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Apparently some stuff would have failed due to the millennium bug if efforts hadn't been made to fix it, although I think the fears were exaggerated.

Reactions: 8
I don’t remember the millenium bug as I was too young, but it sounds like a much simpler and far less innocuous CT to be obsessed with lmfao

I don’t remember the millenium bug as I was too young, but it sounds like a much simpler and far less innocuous CT to be obsessed with lmfao
I remember the drama well, you could buy 'millennium bugs' in toy shops lol. We had a party at home on NYE as I was nervous the entire city would lose power and we'd be stuck there.
People were stocking up on bottled water and dried food, much as the 'preppers' are now.
Plus ça change, eh. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Going back even further, the "millennium bug" (computers not being able to cope with the new century's date format) was supposed to potentially cause planes to drop out of the sky, the banking system to come crashing down, hospitals to stop functioning, and so on. I managed to survive the millenium bug, and I can't remember anything crashing, failing or otherwise not functioning! 🙄
I’ve always been of the opinion that right now, somewhere in rural America, there will be a CTer who was so convinced by the millennium bug that they have chosen to live isolated in a bunker since 1999 to wait out the collapse of society. May well emerge in 2025 and will be somewhat confused that there worst thing they are facing is a shortage of tomatoes at Walmart.

Then again in the interim period we have had Trump, Corbyn, Putin, Love Island, Tiktok, and Scottish rapists in women‘s jails. Maybe society has collapsed and we just didn’t notice….
---
We as a species have dodged Armageddon dozens of times over the centuries

The next date for your diaries is 13/11/2026 when according to Science we will die of overpopulation.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
To be fair, the only reason the things that were meant to happen with the millennium bug didn’t happen is because a lot of programmers and IT people worked hard to fix the coding. A couple of people I know worked on it.

At time leading up to it, a lot of computer programs were designed to only store dates with the last two digits of a year. If it hadn’t been fixed, they would have switched to 1900 instead of 2000, which is where the chaos would have started.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
To be fair, the only reason the things that were meant to happen with the millennium bug didn’t happen is because a lot of programmers and IT people worked hard to fix the coding. A couple of people I know worked on it.

At time leading up to it, a lot of computer programs were designed to only store dates with the last two digits of a year. If it hadn’t been fixed, they would have switched to 1900 instead of 2000, which is where the chaos would have started.

My understanding (and I was like 13 at the turn of the millennium, so I might be misremembering) is that most things made after about 1995, and some things from before that, were complient by default anyway.

And the only places where it did cause some problems were in instances which used old embedded systems stuff that couldn't reasonably be updated.

The effects of the millennium bug were averted as mentioned above, on top of lots of software fixes there was manually testing the rollover on every single thing that had anything even vaguely digital attached to it. Actually manual, as in setting it to just before midnight, letting it tick over, noting whether or not it had stopped, died, exploded etc.
Thanks to the media hyping a load of unlikely/impossible scenarios it's now got the tag of big hoax.

The next date for your diaries is 13/11/2026 when according to Science we will die of overpopulation.
That one might change of course if the depopulation agenda succeeds :eek:

There's a specifically fixed one in the diary though for 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038 when old (and/or poorly implemented) computer systems will run out of bits to store the date and face the same millennium bug type situation but without the sexy name

The year 2038 problem (also known as Y2038, Y2K38, or the Epochalypse ) is a time formatting bug in computer systems with representing times after 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038... .
I love that name, perfect punnage!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My understanding (and I was like 13 at the turn of the millennium, so I might be misremembering) is that most things made after about 1995, and some things from before that, were complient by default anyway.

And the only places where it did cause some problems were in instances which used old embedded systems stuff that couldn't reasonably be updated.
A lot of things were but things quite rightly needed checking, there genuinely could have been a lot of problems and whilst it was ramped up as the end of the world, without a lot of hard work it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as much of a non event

• Heart
There's a specifically fixed one in the diary though for 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038 when old (and/or poorly implemented) computer systems will run out of bits to store the date and face the same millennium bug type situation but without the sexy name

I love that name, perfect punnage!
That one may well break a lot of embedded systems stuff.

Reactions: 3
I feel like we never really covered the Nicola Bulley conspiracy theories here. I thought it had all died down after her body was discovered, but recently I’ve started seeing the most awful posts coming up again of people just repeatedly accusing her poor husband of murdering her and saying the police are covering it up.
It’s just so unhinged and bizarre.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
There's a podcast out called Disaster Trolls, I haven't listened yet, I'm not sure I will.
For me, these are the CTs that really ping my bra strap.
A84DF177-AAB0-4DF0-AC95-35D9CD5A222F.jpeg

• Sad
  • Angry
My family have the victim of exactly this. When a loved one is killed in a terrorist attach and then some knobhead CT claims they were a crisis actor. I’ve rarely felt rage like it.
I'm so sorry. 💔
This is why I despise those type of CT arseholes, they cause nothing but pain in their quest to be seen as 'awake'.
Just the dregs of humanity as far as I'm concerned.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
My family have the victim of exactly this. When a loved one is killed in a terrorist attach and then some knobhead CT claims they were a crisis actor. I’ve rarely felt rage like it.
It's bleeping deranged, it really is. To me it's even more extreme than most conspiracy theories, really. It's one thing to say "it was actually The Illuminati who planted that bomb because reasons" compared to "there was no bomb, everything is fake". It seems to date back, in the current form, to the Aurora Theatre shooting.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
It's bleeping deranged, it really is. To me it's even more extreme than most conspiracy theories, really. It's one thing to say "it was actually The Illuminati who planted that bomb because reasons" compared to "there was no bomb, everything is fake". It seems to date back, in the current form, to the Aurora Theatre shooting.
Yes exactly. I don’t really care about the ones who stick to crying over the vaccine and worrying about the great reset. They’re unhinged but they provide a few laughs sometimes.
However the true crime obsessed ones who take it into real life and start accusing real people of being crisis actors genuinely need sectioning for the damage they cause to innocent peoples lives.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.