Anti Christmas thread for those who need it 💗

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can relate to hating it as a kid too. I was actually journaling about this last night as I couldn’t figure out why Christmas was so stressful and anxiety inducing for me. It’s because Christmas as a kid was so stressful. we had to go to my grandparents house as a whole family (3 adults children + partners and eventually 5 kids but started as 3) so the morning would be a mad rush to open presents, get dressed, have dinner and make it to nan’s by 2. Auntie as always late because she had to see her in laws so we’d be waiting an hour for her getting more and more wound up because the living room was full of presents for us kids. The adults didn’t want to be there and were stressed as well which I think is kids fed off of a bit. Then because she was late, my dad, who’s house id go to in the evenings, was pissed off because I wouldn’t get there until 7 and my mum had had me all day (not my fault but emotionally immature parents for you). I remember going to bed on Xmas day and just crying because I was just so stressed and overwhelmed. Add undiagnosed autism into that and it was just an absolute disaster. I remember feeling relieved when she died and we didn’t have to go there anymore. How awful is that?! I appreciate I sound really ungrateful but honestly it was just so stressful and the next day felt like a crash because we’d been so hyped up.

on the positive, at least I know and can protect myself a bit more now as an adult

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I had an ok Christmas but it's the whole catching up with the extended family, local friends etc this week coming, that I am dreading. There's so much pressure around this time of year to 'catch up' and acknowledge people. I feel like each year I want to see less people.

Reactions: 3
Both my parents are dead and my sister lives 150 miles away. So every year I troop over to the in-laws with wife and kids. And the best thing you can say about that is I diplomatically tolerate the in laws. I just want to get home, climb into a snuddie push back the recliner and start reading the interesting book I got as a present. Instead I'm stuck here watching Home Alone 2 on terrestrial TV. Christmas just isn't about me though so I guess I've just to to endure. This is the absolute definition of a first world problem. There is just nothing to say that hasn't been said 1000s of times before. Nothing interesting happening, even my girls look bored shitless. I honestly don't recognise the happy clappy Hollywood Christmas I'm supposed to be having when compared with this bleeping misery.

I know exactly how it will end as well. As usual she's catered for a small army and will insist on "doggy bagging" tit loads of sandwiches and cold chicken legs, which my wife will pressure me into taking so as not to upset her mum. Which means we will have a fridge full of manky food, which we don't need, to dispose of after tomorrow when the "favour" is returned and they will visit us to, "see the girls presents". I suppose at least at our place we have 21st century TV so I can at least watch what I want whilst fake smiling.
This is exactly how I feel. I'm off to the in laws now. I've not seen my own family. My dad died Christmas day, years ago. But hey, first question out of her lips will be 'have you seen your family' knowing full well that the answer is going to be no.

Instead, I'll be spending Christmas/boxing day with HER friends and partners family. It bleeping sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Calming thoughts sent. Unfortunately can’t supply strong alcohol….
Thanks. As expected I was terribly difficult to cater for being a vegetarian. I got to enjoy cauliflower cheese and roast potatoes, they also had pigs in blankets and pork loin.

On the flip side we went to my parents on Christmas Eve and we all had a veggie stir fry despite them not being vegetarian.

Reactions: 4
I had an ok Christmas but it's the whole catching up with the extended family, local friends etc this week coming, that I am dreading. There's so much pressure around this time of year to 'catch up' and acknowledge people. I feel like each year I want to see less people.
It can feel like way too much can’t it? I often wonder how many people who say they love Christmas and seeing family REALLY TRULY mean it - or feel they have to say it cos it’s the right thing to do.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to see less people and claw back some free time for yourself - resting is just as important this time of year.

Reactions: 4
Christmas is just very anxiety inducing for me. So stressful and over stimulating.
It is. Very much so. I’m already hyper anxious about it. There’s always too much going on - too much change and no routine.

I’m really sorry you find it hard too. It can be such a challenging time - I said this in my last post on here on Boxing Day last year, I do wonder how many people who say they love it really do and really mean it. Sometimes when you scratch the surface, people aren’t as happy with it as they make out.

Reactions: 2
WE don't bother with xmas anymore, all that happens on the day is a Turkey Dinner and lots of chocky.
Mother is 93 and since Dad died all those years ago we hardly bother. I don't really celebrate my own
birthday but I do get a roast beef dinner and the first of the xmas puddings which Mother is making
this week.

• Heart
Reactions: 3