Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I absolutely hate it when people drop my name and just 'hi' me, or first name me. Literally drives me insane and makes me question what I have done to piss them off.

If its formal and someone I don't know, I'm not too arsed. But people I work with on a day to day basis, it just passes me off. Doesn't take much to be personal and polite. There is one guy in particular and we used to be good friends but have drifted a bit with working from home, he is senior to me and I need to have email contact at least once a day really. I am always polite and 'hi name' him, sometimes 'hope you are well' I rarely get anything polite back. Usually a 'hi' or even worse no hi or hello, just straight into a response.

It annoys me so much!!!!

Also, when you email someone something urgent and they fail to respond. But an hour later a really mundane pointless email they don't need to respond to from someone else lands with them and also to you, and they respond within a couple of minutes. That also makes me feel like I've pissed them off.
I work with a woman like this!! She doesn’t name anyone in emails or make any polite email chit chat with people she communicates regularly with. It comes across really abrupt and rude but in reality she is lovely and most people are surprised when they speak to her on the phone!

Reactions: 5
I absolutely hate it when people drop my name and just 'hi' me, or first name me. Literally drives me insane and makes me question what I have done to piss them off.

If its formal and someone I don't know, I'm not too arsed. But people I work with on a day to day basis, it just passes me off. Doesn't take much to be personal and polite. There is one guy in particular and we used to be good friends but have drifted a bit with working from home, he is senior to me and I need to have email contact at least once a day really. I am always polite and 'hi name' him, sometimes 'hope you are well' I rarely get anything polite back. Usually a 'hi' or even worse no hi or hello, just straight into a response.

It annoys me so much!!!!

Also, when you email someone something urgent and they fail to respond. But an hour later a really mundane pointless email they don't need to respond to from someone else lands with them and also to you, and they respond within a couple of minutes. That also makes me feel like I've pissed them off.
I always think that when someone hasn't responded to an urgent email but responds to mundane less important ones, they maybe don't know the answer or they're waiting for someone else's input. Although why they don't say that I don't know!

I also hate it when people dive in with a request rather than say "Hi X, please could you look at this for me? Kind regards, X" or something. Takes a second to do and comes across so much better.

I have a colleague who addresses me in emails with my initials rather than my first name and with no ‘Hi’ intro either e.g.

CS

Can you send me the ‘X’ document

—————-

He does it with other colleagues as well but it gets right on my nerves

I have this the other way round! 🤣

my perfectly nice 3 syllable name is commonly abbreviated to a 1 syllable nickname and lots of people with it don't mind it. I hate it.

like, I only ever introduce myself as "kachoochoo" but people routinely address me as "kach"* (*replace with real name, obv)

just use my actual name!
This! I hate it that they do this. some even do it in documents 😡

Reactions: 7
Todays latest annoyance. Started work at 9am. Email sent at 9:30. Not marked urgent or anything. Im busy doing my own work.

Emailed again at 9:45, more information. Not chasing up

Call at 9:55 have you done it yet

Just to add, its not urgent at all, shes just decided she needs to know now...

Todays latest annoyance. Started work at 9am. Email sent at 9:30. Not marked urgent or anything. Im busy doing my own work.

Emailed again at 9:45, more information. Not chasing up

Call at 9:55 have you done it yet

Just to add, its not urgent at all, shes just decided she needs to know now...
It drives me up the wall as well.

The worst part is when someone sends you an email at 8pm on a Friday, then proceeds to send you a "kind reminder" at 9am on Monday saying: "Let me know when you've at the below email" (real meaning: you should have looked at it on Friday night or over the weekend. I need it now).

• Angry
Reactions: 2
I would like just once to be able to go to the printer and print out my stuff, without having to clear a paper jam and then have to stand there whilst all the queued stuff spews out. The instructions come up on the screen to clear the jam!

Reactions: 6
I just had a call from someone asking if I could contact another colleague that's on annual leave to ask something. No I can't, people book annual leave for a reason. They will be back tomorrow so you will have to wait until then!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I just had a call from someone asking if I could contact another colleague that's on annual leave to ask something. No I can't, people book annual leave for a reason. They will be back tomorrow so you will have to wait until then!
This is one of my most hated things. Never call or message me when I'm not working.

My colleague books all her holiday without consulting me. She has booked off next week a week at the end of July which is my partners birthday a few days in the middle of august and the end of august. She’s booked off a week at Christmas.
I wouldn’t mind but there is literally 2 of us and I have to ask her about my holiday!
Her excuse is she has to work around her daughter and her ex partner. But I also have a younger child who she never considered when booking all her holiday.

• Angry
This is one of my most hated things. Never call or message me when I'm not working.
Same. If you don't have the ability to look at an Outlook diary and see that I'm on annual leave, then that's your problem. Or 'I know you're on holiday, but.....' yes exactly, now go piss off 😂

Reactions: 3
We use a messaging system called Slack. I hate it when people message me out of hours to ask a tiny question then follow it up with something really detailed that they can't possible expect me to know off the top of my head. It's so rude and entitled.

Due to covid they serve food at work but you cant sit and eat you have to take away. So you’re at you desk, eating and people say ‘I know you’re eating your lunch' 😡

• Angry
Reactions: 8
My colleague books all her holiday without consulting me. She has booked off next week a week at the end of July which is my partners birthday a few days in the middle of august and the end of august. She’s booked off a week at Christmas.
I wouldn’t mind but there is literally 2 of us and I have to ask her about my holiday!
Her excuse is she has to work around her daughter and her ex partner. But I also have a younger child who she never considered when booking all her holiday.
If you are both the same grade why does she get preference. I've said before other people's kids and love life are their problem.

Reactions: 9
If you are both the same grade why does she get preference. I've said before other people's kids and love life are their problem.
Apparently she is meant to be my supervisor however she works part time and I work full time so don’t get how that one works. I would like a job where your all treated equally given the same resources and access to further learning.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I have a colleague who puts fake meetings in her shared calendar using what she thinks are secret code, but in reality they are all the times she's having to babysit her grand-dog (yes that's what she calls it) or her grandkids. She then disappears for at least half a day at a time leaving everyone else to deal with her pish.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Apparently she is meant to be my supervisor however she works part time and I work full time so don’t get how that one works. I would like a job where your all treated equally given the same resources and access to further learning.
My colleague just messaged me asking if I could make some phone calls - I was never given a work phone and I’m working from home 😂

Grad scheme employees. Always the worst & most annoying inexperienced little pricks ever.

I never went to uni and worked from 16 so yes I'm bitter. Took me ages to get responsiblilty and to where I am. Stupid duck heads.
In all fairness to them, we all started somewhere. Of course, they're inexperienced, they're graduates. Some of them will learn, while others will remain incompetent for life.

It also annoys me:
  • When you ask a question to someone, they don't have a clear answer, tell you they'll look into it and get back to you because they're busy, but never get back to you and refuse to admit they just don't know the answer. You don't have to have the answers to everything. It's fine to say "I don't know", so that I can go and ask someone else.
  • When you ask a question to someone, they don't know the answer, will give you a bogus answer to show they know their craft and a few days down the line, you realize you made a mistake because of them. Again, it's fine to say "I don't know".
You're doing both of us a disservice by acting as though you have the answer when you don't. You could easily learn something. Smh. I work with this one person who always gives me answers and they always turn out to be incorrect. Then, I look like the incompetent one. God help.

This thread is slowly becoming my therapy since I don't have anyone to annoy with these complaints!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
My boss never replies to emails, I only email now to have things in writing but I always just end up having to go and speak to him in person, which then wastes loads of time as he makes endless small talk

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.