Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just remembered another incident reading the 'people that bother you about work when you're not working' comments.

I was going to a funeral and got asked for some info urgently so I emailed one of my team and asked him to do it in my absence. I specifically said it didn't matter what format they presented it in but to get it across ASAP and explained I was going to a funeral or would do it myself.

Sat waiting for the funeral to start and saw my phone flashing (thankfully on silent). Was this bloke. I ignored it and phoned him after the service as assumed it must be urgent. He wanted to check the format he was thinking was acceptable. I said yes, as per my email. What isn't acceptable is phoning someone in a funeral to ask 🤦‍♀️
that is horrific!

Reminded me of one of my old jobs, my best friend committed suicide and I asked my boss if I could divert my work phone to the office landline when I went to her funeral. She said she would come back to me (???? like it’s a big ask)

I switched it off for the service then turned it back on again a while later to check if I could divert it only to have 23 missed calls from her and texts telling me to answer my phone, reminding me we have a ‘15 minute call back rule’ and that I would be invited in to disciplinary if I didn’t return her calls. Handed my notice in the next day

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
that is horrific!

Reminded me of one of my old jobs, my best friend committed suicide and I asked my boss if I could divert my work phone to the office landline when I went to her funeral. She said she would come back to me (???? like it’s a big ask)

I switched it off for the service then turned it back on again a while later to check if I could divert it only to have 23 missed calls from her and texts telling me to answer my phone, reminding me we have a ‘15 minute call back rule’ and that I would be invited in to disciplinary if I didn’t return her calls. Handed my notice in the next day
I know it won't help but I'm so, so, so sorry for your loss. What an actual scumbag and I apologise for their actions even though I don't know them x

Reactions: 6
I'm going to combust.

I never take breaks, ever. Today, I had to step away for my computer for 15 minutes. I suddenly get a ping (from someone who takes 1h break in the morning and 1h in the afternoon + lunchbreak) asking me a question. As I was away, I didn't get to answer right away and after 10 minutes, I got a "Can you get back to me asap"? Please. It wasn't even that urgent & whenever I ping them, they always take 1h to answer.

This team is driving me mental.

It seems when people get promoted and are suddenly above you, they get an attitude.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I've done loads of temp office jobs, over the years, and worked with plenty of odd/bitchy/cliquey people.
The oddest one was back in the mid 90s, it was some sort of financial firm, and the fella I had to work for was an oddball, he used to wear red braces with a stripey shirt, he thought he was Gordon Gekko 😅
Anyway, I only stuck it a week, and was told by another girl in the office that no temp ever lasted with him.
He had me ringing around plumbers because his washing machine had broken down and he was just rude and horrible.
The reason I've never forgotten him, and the final straw that made me tell the agency I'd finish on Friday, was because he sent me to the post office to post a letter to his pen pal in Africa 😅
And the pen pal was a stamp collector 😀 so I had to ask for particular new edition stamps or summat to put on the letter!
So, I asked the post office clerk how much to post this letter and could it be in these particular type stamps, and she says oh we've run out.
And I'm like oh flip, my boss wanted those particular stamps and she said just put normal ones on, he'll never know!
I went back to the office, hoping he wouldn't ask but of course he did!
I told him the truth, I don't know why 😅
He had a right moan but I thought sod ya, I'm outta here tomorrow 😀

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Lord help. Same person again, asking me stuff every other minute.

4.45pm:

Them: Can you send me the confirmation email for XYZ?
Me: Yes, sure.
**Me in the background trying to retrieve the email and my laptop is slowing down.**
Them 5 minutes later: So, do you have the email? Can you send it?
Me: Yes, trying to retrieve.

I send the email.

5pm:

Them: Actually, do you also have the original email for XYZ?
Me: Yes, sure, I will send it.

I send the email.

5:15pm:

Them: I will also need the other confirmation email, the one with graphics.
**Me in my head: That's not a confirmation email, but OK.**
Me: Sure - I just sent it. That's all I have now.

Me in my head: Seriously? What's up with you today? How about you tell me what you want from the get go instead of these weird droplets?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Angry
  • Sad
Lord help. Same person again, asking me stuff every 10 minutes.

Them: Can you send me the confirmation email for XYZ?
Me: Yes, sure.
Me in the background trying to retrieve the email.
Them 5 minutes later: So, do you have the email? Can you send it?
Me: Yes, trying to retrieve.

I send the email. 5 minutes later:

Them: Actually, do you also have the original email for XYZ?
Me: Yes, sure, I will send it.

I send the email. 5 minutes later:

Them: I will also need the other confirmation email, the one with graphics.
Me in my head: That's not a confirmation email, but OK.
Me: Sure - I just sent it. That's all I have now.

Me in my head: Seriously? What's up with you today? How about you tell me what you want from the get got instead of these weird droplets?
My manager does that 🙄 Any time he asks me to produce reports for him, he drip feeds me information like my poor tiny brain can’t handle that much at once. 😂
It is especially infuriating when he interrupts me in the middle of producing a report for something else and expect me to jump into action for him.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
My manager does that 🙄 Any time he asks me to produce reports for him, he drip feeds me information like my poor tiny brain can’t handle that much at once. 😂
It is especially infuriating when he interrupts me in the middle of producing a report for something else and expect me to jump into action for him.
I'm sorry, but whoever does that seriously needs to work on their communication skills. It's shocking, especially for manager & above.

Reactions: 3
I'm sorry, but whoever does that seriously needs to work on their communication skills. It's shocking, especially for manager & above.
It used to drive me insane. When he asks me for reports now, I’ll ask what he’s looking to learn from it or what he wants to see. That usually cuts out a lot of the “I also need this” interruptions.

Reactions: 2
Annoying things my colleagues do? For 90% just existing is enough.

The 1 who hasnt a clue about excel, when ppl suggest using a formula shes either "tried it" or "doesnt have time" to do 1 sum and drag down... 🙄
Realising she clearly hasnt a clue what shes doing a colleague (one of the 10%) offered help, spent 20 minutes explaining how a vlookup worked, she then decided it was easier to just check by eye.

• Haha
When you sign off an email with your preferred name and they totally disregard it. E.g. if I was to sign it off with:

Kind regards
Nineties

and they come back with “hi ninetiesbitxh”

worse when it’s someone in the office and I think, you know no-one calls me my full name 😑

• Haha
When you sign off an email with your preferred name and they totally disregard it. E.g. if I was to sign it off with:

Kind regards
Nineties

worse when it’s someone in the office and I think, you know no-one calls me my full name 😑

I have this the other way round! 🤣

my perfectly nice 3 syllable name is commonly abbreviated to a 1 syllable nickname and lots of people with it don't mind it. I hate it.

like, I only ever introduce myself as "kachoochoo" but people routinely address me as "kach"* (*replace with real name, obv)

just use my actual name!

Reactions: 4
I have this the other way round! 🤣

my perfectly nice 3 syllable name is commonly abbreviated to a 1 syllable nickname and lots of people with it don't mind it. I hate it.

like, I only ever introduce myself as "kachoochoo" but people routinely address me as "kach"* (*replace with real name, obv)

just use my actual name!
Same. Mine always gets shortened and I hate it. The odd person I don't mind but not everyone but the past week someone has decided to shorten my surname too.

MY NAME IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SIGNATURE SO WHY IS IT SO HARD TO SPELL INCORRECTLY/SHORTEN!!!!!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It used to drive me insane. When he asks me for reports now, I’ll ask what he’s looking to learn from it or what he wants to see. That usually cuts out a lot of the “I also need this” interruptions.
My manager is also like this!!!! I now have to say what is the reason for wanting this information so I can decipher what they actually want!!

Kind regards
Nineties

I also HATE THIS!!! I sign off with my shortened name every single time and people still reply with my full name.

Reactions: 1
I am the only member of staff my line manager has responsibility for and he constantly calls me by the name of another staff member. He also makes constant remarks about me being young. I’ve worked in this industry for 4 years (compared to his 30) but I had another career for 13 years beforehand....

• Sad
  • Wow
Agree. Also when people drop the "Hi" and just use your first name. Example:

"Olivia,

Can you send me over the remittance for XYZ?"

It reads so abrupt - I always feel like I've done something wrong! It doesn't take much to type the extra two letters.
Agreed and they all know they’re being rude, because they don’t do it with people they deem important!! My boss does it to me all the time, but never to his boss!! Gggrrrr

When a colleague over explains something going on and on then sends an email about it 5 mins later. Normally with the manager CC'd in 'for his records' :cautious:

• Angry
My real name is the shortened version of a quite common long name (as in, I was christened with the short version, not the long name).

You would not believe how many uppity people call me by the long name just to - well, what exactly ... make some sort of point? So strange. Just call me by the name I've introduced myself as.

My latest annoyance is people who use my bin to put their rubbish - we don't have cleaners or rubbish removers in the office so have to take our own rubbish home. What the feck is wrong with people?

• Sad
  • Angry
One job, my manager told me that she was putting me on the rota for answering the switchboard at the reception desk. I told her that I most definitely would not be doing that. She then tried to use the any other task bit in my contract but the union made sure that it had to be a task commensurate with my grade, not one at least five grades below. I did enjoy seeing her at the switchboard though.

It's not as though I didn't step in to work the switchboard in an emergency or quietly say to the receptionist when there were loads of people arriving "I'll do the switchboard while you take care of the visitors and their badges" but being put on the regular rota when I was on a management grade was not on. One colleague said that if police staff wore their grades on their shoulders like the police officers there would be less of the treating us all like dirt.

• Heart
This thread is highlighting how common it is for people to have such poor respect for colleagues and team mates. Working at home for part of lock down really spotlighted how rude and lazy some of my colleagues are when we did return to the office last autumn!!
One of my biggest peeves and something I find rude as f, even more now with the pandemic, is when you are out of office for a few days / a week / 2 weeks and return to find that someone has been using your desk!!! Usually left crap lying all over said desk, and taken your chair because it’s comfier than theirs. When asked to clear up their mess they react as if you are being unreasonable about asking them to remove the 5 dozen sheets of paper strewn across the desk and 2 used coffee mugs that you have been greeted with at 7am on a Monday morning!!!
I have no problems with people using my desk but leave it like you found it ....... clean and tidy!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I absolutely hate it when people drop my name and just 'hi' me, or first name me. Literally drives me insane and makes me question what I have done to piss them off.

If its formal and someone I don't know, I'm not too arsed. But people I work with on a day to day basis, it just passes me off. Doesn't take much to be personal and polite. There is one guy in particular and we used to be good friends but have drifted a bit with working from home, he is senior to me and I need to have email contact at least once a day really. I am always polite and 'hi name' him, sometimes 'hope you are well' I rarely get anything polite back. Usually a 'hi' or even worse no hi or hello, just straight into a response.

It annoys me so much!!!!

Also, when you email someone something urgent and they fail to respond. But an hour later a really mundane pointless email they don't need to respond to from someone else lands with them and also to you, and they respond within a couple of minutes. That also makes me feel like I've pissed them off.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.