Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work with a woman who never stops talking about herself. It’s gotten to the stage where we just do a polite nod at the end of one of her stories but if she feels that she doesn’t get a big enough reaction, she just repeats the exact same story again, immediately. It’s getting ridiculous, the other week I heard her tell the same mundane anecdote three times in a row 😆

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I work with a woman who never stops talking about herself. It’s gotten to the stage where we just do a polite nod at the end of one of her stories but if she feels that she doesn’t get a big enough reaction, she just repeats the exact same story again, immediately. It’s getting ridiculous, the other week I heard her tell the same mundane anecdote three times in a row 😆
I worked with someone who used to do that and it’s so boring isn’t it. The stories are never remotely interesting.
She stopped with me when I used to say oh you’ve told me that before and then walking off and saying I’m off for a coffee. It’s quite rude but they seem to be so oblivious to taking up your time that it ended up being the only way to shut it down.

Reactions: 12
That’s a good strategy and I’ll give it a go! She is relying on people’s good manners that they let her get away with it but I’m at the end of my tether!

I worked with someone who used to do that and it’s so boring isn’t it. The stories are never remotely interesting.
She stopped with me when I used to say oh you’ve told me that before and then walking off and saying I’m off for a coffee. It’s quite rude but they seem to be so oblivious to taking up your time that it ended up being the only way to shut it down.

Reactions: 6
One of the guys I work with is fully on the Andrew Tate defense team this morning, he’s literally willing to fall out with our whole office over a man now with rape/trafficking charges that he doesn’t even personally know…

His obsession with him seemed like a joke at first but it’s entered worrying territory.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Had a manager like that.
She could not let anyone have a moment without her trying to butt in with her story on whatever topic it was. And hers was better/ worse as the case may be. She had to 'elevenerife' everyone - who went to mere Tenerife. 😁

I also worked with someone who would take someone else's story and repeat it as hers. It was quite weird.

Reactions: 5
Half year review time and I may have brought up fact that my direct manager has not helped me with handover of tasks to new staff. So to get her own back she made comments about my timings.
There is an option to go over this ahead of main meeting if I want, Ive declined that and am going to ask for times of when this was brought to my attention so that I can defend it.
Its crap, I know it, she knows it and head boss will know it when I bring it up in front of them. Ive accepted my immediate boss hates me, and I no longer make any effort to impress them. I go higher up the chain of command now.
They also mentioned 2 other team members in my document, but its supposed to be about me so she will have to explain that away.
Im not playing nice anymore 😄

Reactions: 8
People who leave one second on the microwave timer, resulting in the next person having to press the "Cancel" button before they can set the timer. You couldn't let that ONE SECOND run out? If you're in so much of a hurry you couldn't wait out one more second you need to rethink your time management.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Had my resignation meeting at work to discuss the formalities with my manager. She has seemed fine generally, good enough manager, but had a habit of contradicting herself (promising things and then pretending she had never even mentioned them when the team would ask her getting the arse if people were off sick because it left us extremely short instead of hiring the appropriate level of resource) and it raised a few red flags for me when a colleague of mine left purely because the job wasn't for them and she appeared to take it personally, bragging over dinner about how she ticked the "would not hire again" box on their reference.

Well, she sat with a face like a smacked arse the whole time and I had to literally bite my inner cheek to stop myself from laughing at how utterly ridiculously she behaved. She launched straight in accusing me of "galivanting around" having interviews while I was off sick with stress (not true, I'd been offered the job a while back and it has taken ages to process) and accused me of lying in a prior meeting about being happy in the job - which I was for the most part. Once I'd nipped that in the bud she abruptly moved right into formalities and I was then given the "options" of leaving that day and getting my A/L paid at month end or leaving at month end but being onA/L until then. No opportunity to handover to my lovely direct colleagues, no being able to say goodbye to them and the wider team, no "congratulations, what's the new job?". When I then said I am sad to be leaving (which I am, but only because I did like the job and my direct colleagues are lovely) she snapped "well you just do what's best for you and the company will do what's best for it....like the company had any choice 🙃

Cannot wait for my exit interview with HR because I won't be holding back. All she had to do was be bleeping nice.
Urgh she sounds vindictive! She obviously doesn't have much going on in her life to be that bothered about someone leaving. Sounds like she's mulled it over loads and taken everything personally.
---

Urgh she sounds vindictive! She obviously doesn't have much going on in her life to be that bothered about someone leaving. Sounds like she's mulled it over loads and taken everything personally.
---
That's what I got from it. She seemed to take it as a carefully planned out slight against specifically her. Someone else did say to me I should be flattered, she clearly valued me and wanted to keep me around way more than she ever showed the whole time I was there XD

A colleague I barely know is asking me to schedule a Zoom call to plan her Europe trip itinerary (personal vacation) this summer.

I barely had time to think about what to do on a random weekend. I don’t have time to plan someone else’s whole summer. I’ll do it because I want to be nice, but there are a lot of websites out there for this specific purpose.

• Wow
What the what?! Is this person your superior? Why would they expect you to do this?

A colleague I barely know is asking me to schedule a Zoom call to plan her Europe trip itinerary (personal vacation) this summer.

I barely had time to think about what to do on a random weekend. I don’t have time to plan someone else’s whole summer. I’ll do it because I want to be nice, but there are a lot of websites out there for this specific purpose.

Reactions: 1
We have - or should I say HAD - 3 fancy schmancy coffee machines in our office (just plugged in, not plumbed in). Two went missing over the weekend; after a time-consuming witch-hunt, the offender was taken aside and questioned; turns out she's in a very bad way financially and sold them!!!!

Yes, she has been fired.

I have a feeling there are others stealing ... We seem to go through a horrendously high volume of stationery, cleaning supplies and biscuits.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Does anyone else find it really aggravating when someone gives you a task to do but are gleeful about it being tit or tedious?

I was given something to do which basically involves finding about 80 reports from an old system and transferring them to a new one. It’s a bit boring but ultimately it’s not like the scourge of humanity. But both the people who asked me to do it were a bit smug about giving it to me to do which got my back up a bit. They’re not even normally like that which makes it even more annoying.

I‘m like ‘just ask me to do the task like it’s a normal piece of work rather than behaving as though you’ve told me to ring bind 7000 reports on a Friday afternoon while you go down the pub ffs’.

Reactions: 7
Someone whos a grade below me who i used to manage having a right bleeping strop today because i gave her team some work to do. Wanting to know all the details, have a meeting about it. Just calm down! If you spent less time flapping around like a twit you'd get more done!
Really pissed me off

Does anyone else find it really aggravating when someone gives you a task to do but are gleeful about it being tit or tedious?

I was given something to do which basically involves finding about 80 reports from an old system and transferring them to a new one. It’s a bit boring but ultimately it’s not like the scourge of humanity. But both the people who asked me to do it were a bit smug about giving it to me to do which got my back up a bit. They’re not even normally like that which makes it even more annoying.

I‘m like ‘just ask me to do the task like it’s a normal piece of work rather than behaving as though you’ve told me to ring bind 7000 reports on a Friday afternoon while you go down the pub ffs’.
IKWYM.

And from time to time, I actually don't mind a tedious task, if all truth be known.
Something I can do almost on autopilot.

Reactions: 4
When I thought my manager couldn’t sink any lower with her pettiness.

A more senior stakeholder I worked with every single day for months left me an excellent good feedback which was directly related to my manager. My manager apparently asked this person they left this good feedback for me because they ‘don’t see what this person is seeing’.

I don’t work directly with my manager, so they don’t have a lot of visibility on my work or how I interact with people work-wise. The fact they had the audacity to question the good feedback I got is beyond disrespectful.

This person is going to ruin my entire career. She’s probably going to screw up my year review and leave me unable to move internally or alternatively, tick the ‘do not rehire’ box if I move externally.

This is mad.
That is awful. Given this person who left the positive feedback is more senior and your manager is questioning this feedback could you report your manager to HR for undermining your work? How did you find out about your manager questioning the validity of the feedback?

That is awful. Given this person who left the positive feedback is more senior and your manager is questioning this feedback could you report your manager to HR for undermining your work? How did you find out about your manager questioning the validity of the feedback?
Do you mind unquoting please? I might want to remove my post later. Thanks.

I can’t escalate this because it’s all verbal. I don’t have physical evidence.

IKWYM.

And from time to time, I actually don't mind a tedious task, if all truth be known.
Something I can do almost on autopilot.
Yes, exactly. I can put my headphones in and crack on with it. But when it’s presented to me in the manner of ‘hee hee hee, here’s this crap job for you to do, sorreeeeee!’ it makes me resent doing it.

Yes, exactly. I can put my headphones in and crack on with it. But when it’s presented to me in the manner of ‘hee hee hee, here’s this crap job for you to do, sorreeeeee!’ it makes me resent doing it.
Oh I completely agree.
As though they are getting one over on you, or something.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.