Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if bosses love it. It’s mainly because a lot of companies had hiring sprees during the pandemic and don’t have enough desks.
In my experience bosses love it as it sounds modern and flexible (sorry, agile) but it doesn’t effect them as they have their own office.

Reactions: 10
In my experience bosses love it as it sounds modern and flexible (sorry, agile) but it doesn’t effect them as they have their own office.
Or if they don't have their own office because "I'm doing this too, I am one of you" it doesn't effect them as they are in meetings/calls all day so not using a desk anyway!

Reactions: 10
Exactly this! We’re moving offices soon and all of us peasants will be hotdesking (dreading it, plus we don’t even have enough desks for the number of people in our team) but of course all the managers get their own office. Now that I’m thinking about it, why is this OK and generally accepted by everyone?

Reactions: 9
When someone calls you non-stop for help. I've had 6 calls from someone today and it's only 11am. Go away and figure it out yourself!!!
Yes, there’s a couple of colleagues in my team who seem to need to call me or others over to help them open attachments on Teams or share an Excel file. We’ve been using Teams since 2020 🥴 And these people have been here longer than us so are higher up the payscale (we get yearly increments); one of these days i’ll shout across the office that they should “google it”.
---
True. Our company has more employees than office space so we have to book our desks and hot desk.

I miss the days where I had my own desk and knew where my snacks / pain / favourite mug was 😭
It just seems so wrong that people are employed to do a job, because there is a need for that job to be done, yet have to book a desk each day and it’s like a lottery if you get one that day. Thankfully my team each have a designated desk but I’m hearing rumours they want to look at space utilisation and possibly make us hot desk with another team. Hopefully not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
My company requires for managers to sit with the rest of us. They don’t have their own offices and they take their calls at their desk. The reasons are different from one company to another as to why hot desking is the current practice but from experience, it’s due to space concerns.

Reactions: 3
Our hot desking was not as a result of over hiring, it’s very intentional. Even though management have accepted that people will and do gravitate towards the same desk each day. Desk booking systems are a (ridiculous) method of monitoring attendance so that management can pin point how many days people are attending the office. It’s actually bizarre how we are treated like children in some respects and expected to work autonomously in others.
We’ve also been told that although management appreciate the need from both sides to be flexible in the approach to work, to remember we don’t work asynchronously. Doesn’t even make sense!

We have a desk booking system which is fine, but you will often get people who book a desk then decide at the last minute they can’t be arsed and wfh but don’t cancel the booking. Really annoying. Even more aggravating when they book a parking space and don’t cancel it so you end up in the pay and display looking out the window at an empty parking space all day. Rage.

Reactions: 8
Our hot desking was not as a result of over hiring, it’s very intentional. Even though management have accepted that people will and do gravitate towards the same desk each day. Desk booking systems are a (ridiculous) method of monitoring attendance so that management can pin point how many days people are attending the office. It’s actually bizarre how we are treated like children in some respects and expected to work autonomously in others.
We’ve also been told that although management appreciate the need from both sides to be flexible in the approach to work, to remember we don’t work asynchronously. Doesn’t even make sense!
This! I can full do all aspects of my job from home but we have a mandatory amount of days we have to come in and if we're covering someones annual leave we have to come in for the full cover.
Yet during all the lockdowns we all worked and covered from home fine. It's baffling!
We also have to many staff for desks which means we have to have a rota for desks.
I'd happily wfh full time but no, they need to see me physically instead of paying attention to all the work I do...

Reactions: 4
This! I can full do all aspects of my job from home but we have a mandatory amount of days we have to come in and if we're covering someones annual leave we have to come in for the full cover.
Yet during all the lockdowns we all worked and covered from home fine. It's baffling!
We also have to many staff for desks which means we have to have a rota for desks.
I'd happily wfh full time but no, they need to see me physically instead of paying attention to all the work I do...
It’s so frustrating! Ive been analysing my role over the last while and come to the conclusion that on a normal week I don’t NEED to be on site more than 1 day a week, in fact it is counter productive for me to be there more often as I get less done. There are some exceptions to this of course, but it’s going to be a factor in why I leave. I have no issue with intentional office attendance but this rubbish of being in for the sake of it winds me up!

BIB - What genius came up with that! 🤦‍♀️

I really think my manager is trying to push me out.

She’s disregarded every positive feedback I’ve received in the last few weeks and has categorically refused to give me any kind of positive word during the past two months.

This week, I spent hours preparing a birthday video/presentation for one out of colleagues. Everyone liked it but the manager wasn’t on the call.

I sent the presentation via group Teams to the birthday person. The manager comes along and puts a ‘love’ emoji reaction to the birthday person saying ‘thanks’ for the presentation but no reaction to the presentation I sent, not even half a like or anything when everyone else did.

I may be reading too much into this, but if you’re gonna react to the birthday person saying ‘thanks’ you can also acknowledge the coordinator right above in the same thread who actually put the effort into doing this. I didn’t do it to get a thanks, but I find the attitude of the manager to be highly dismissive when it’s her tradition in the first place.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I really think my manager is trying to push me out.

She’s disregarded every positive feedback I’ve received in the last few weeks and has categorically refused to give me any kind of positive word during the past two months.

This week, I spent hours preparing a birthday video/presentation for one out of colleagues. Everyone liked it but the manager wasn’t on the call.

I sent the presentation via group Teams to the birthday person. The manager comes along and puts a ‘love’ emoji reaction to the birthday person saying ‘thanks’ for the presentation but no reaction to the presentation I sent, not even half a like or anything when everyone else did.

I may be reading too much into this, but if you’re gonna react to the birthday person saying ‘thanks’ you can also acknowledge the coordinator right above in the same thread who actually put the effort into doing this. I didn’t do it to get a thanks, but I find the attitude of the manager to be highly dismissive when it’s her tradition in the first place.
How much more evidence do you need?? Stevie Wonder can see it's a toxic environment. Get yourself out of there.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
How much more evidence do you need?? Stevie Wonder can see it's a toxic environment. Get yourself out of there.
I’m just venting. It is toxic but finding a new job is unfortunately not that speedy of a process. I wish it were :(

I’m just venting. It is toxic but finding a new job is unfortunately not that speedy of a process. I wish it were :(
we will all celebrate with you when you get out of there and tell them to eff off as you walk out on the last day.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Someone who came in every day during Covid so there would be 1 person with an "on site presence" and hates that wfh has become a thing!
I know the type...

So Jane works three days in the office, and two wfh but when you cover for her holidays you have to do five days in the office regardless. Aaaargh.

Reactions: 3
Had my resignation meeting at work to discuss the formalities with my manager. She has seemed fine generally, good enough manager, but had a habit of contradicting herself (promising things and then pretending she had never even mentioned them when the team would ask her getting the arse if people were off sick because it left us extremely short instead of hiring the appropriate level of resource) and it raised a few red flags for me when a colleague of mine left purely because the job wasn't for them and she appeared to take it personally, bragging over dinner about how she ticked the "would not hire again" box on their reference.

Well, she sat with a face like a smacked arse the whole time and I had to literally bite my inner cheek to stop myself from laughing at how utterly ridiculously she behaved. She launched straight in accusing me of "galivanting around" having interviews while I was off sick with stress (not true, I'd been offered the job a while back and it has taken ages to process) and accused me of lying in a prior meeting about being happy in the job - which I was for the most part. Once I'd nipped that in the bud she abruptly moved right into formalities and I was then given the "options" of leaving that day and getting my A/L paid at month end or leaving at month end but being onA/L until then. No opportunity to handover to my lovely direct colleagues, no being able to say goodbye to them and the wider team, no "congratulations, what's the new job?". When I then said I am sad to be leaving (which I am, but only because I did like the job and my direct colleagues are lovely) she snapped "well you just do what's best for you and the company will do what's best for it....like the company had any choice 🙃

Cannot wait for my exit interview with HR because I won't be holding back. All she had to do was be bleeping nice.

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Constantly talking badly about competitors ... I've tried pointing out to the offender that a) he might end up working for or with them one day; and b) it's bound to come back on him in some way, yet he doesn't listen.

Whenever a deadline is looming, the usual suspects suddenly have to take time off for family emergencies ... Seriously, the management here seem oblivious to half of what goes on, on the floor.

Reactions: 5
The office flake has really let us down this week with a big project we have on, which means I’m left doing a lot of stuff that 1) flake should be doing anyway & 2) flake was supposed to help with. It’s time critical and time restricted so could not be done before now. I wish I was less diligent, but it’s simply not in me to drop others in it. For some reason, flake has managed to be pretty untouchable, but I have an exit strategy planned so I hope they’ll be happy when left with flake.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.