Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My new manager is incredibly OTT about meeting timings - I don't mean people swanning in 10 minutes with no explanation (which is piss poor), but if we're talking a whopping 1 minute (and this is usually preceded with early messages such as "caught up on a call please bear with" or "I have an Ocado delivery coming so I may be a tiny bit late to the meeting at 3:00pm today") he makes examples of the offenders and really goes on at them for far too long which then cuts into the proper discussions. One hour meetings turn into nearly two hours ahbfhbfhdbfhbdhfbdhbfhdb).

I had one-on-one training with a VERY SLOW COMPANY laptop which I pre-warned I had issues with getting into Teams, but he still constantly had digs at me about getting me a watch for 10 minutes before I just asked if there was actually going to be any training :rolleyes:

(I also have an interview for another job next week that is a £15k payrise on top of what I get at the moment - is it bad if I ended up handing in my notice after two weeks based on the above and other annoyances?!)

• Wow
Reactions: 8
People who trot out the same "banter" every day. Two separate people ask me every single cunting day "is it home time yet/can I go home emerald" omg please say something else. Anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My new manager is incredibly OTT about meeting timings - I don't mean people swanning in 10 minutes with no explanation (which is piss poor), but if we're talking a whopping 1 minute (and this is usually preceded with early messages such as "caught up on a call please bear with" or "I have an Ocado delivery coming so I may be a tiny bit late to the meeting at 3:00pm today") he makes examples of the offenders and really goes on at them for far too long which then cuts into the proper discussions. One hour meetings turn into nearly two hours ahbfhbfhdbfhbdhfbdhbfhdb).

I had one-on-one training with a VERY SLOW COMPANY laptop which I pre-warned I had issues with getting into Teams, but he still constantly had digs at me about getting me a watch for 10 minutes before I just asked if there was actually going to be any training :rolleyes:

(I also have an interview for another job next week that is a £15k payrise on top of what I get at the moment - is it bad if I ended up handing in my notice after two weeks based on the above and other annoyances?!)
BIB - No, absolutely not.
In this world, especially in the workplace you have to look after number one. I mean that very seriously.

Reactions: 6
When you and a few coworkers all applied for the same promotion, you got it, and the other applicants act surly and refuse to take direction from you because they're angry they didn't get selected. Take it up with the hiring team, they're the ones who chose me!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
People who leave one second on the microwave timer, resulting in the next person having to press the "Cancel" button before they can set the timer. You couldn't let that ONE SECOND run out? If you're in so much of a hurry you couldn't wait out one more second you need to rethink your time management.
Haha I do this. I can't stand the beep.

Reactions: 1
I work with a woman who never stops talking about herself. It’s gotten to the stage where we just do a polite nod at the end of one of her stories but if she feels that she doesn’t get a big enough reaction, she just repeats the exact same story again, immediately. It’s getting ridiculous, the other week I heard her tell the same mundane anecdote three times in a row 😆
I have someone like this in my team. It’s exhausting :oops:

Reactions: 3
I work with a woman who never stops talking about herself. It’s gotten to the stage where we just do a polite nod at the end of one of her stories but if she feels that she doesn’t get a big enough reaction, she just repeats the exact same story again, immediately. It’s getting ridiculous, the other week I heard her tell the same mundane anecdote three times in a row 😆
We have someone like this but she will add random people into it who I don't know. Like, she will be talking about her shopping in Aldi and then will say "and then I said to George" and I'm like "who is George" and it will be the security guard or something. Just say the security guard how would I know his name is George. Drives me insane!!
She also says "I said to dad...." It's "I said to my dad" your dad isn't my dad. Stop itttttttttt 😂

• Haha
One Monday my manager made a big thing about him being the only one in the office that day (we work hybrid so 60/40 office and work from home).

For context, alot of people have left for new jobs lately and also the next day we had mandatory training. So he was the only one in that Monday because all of us were coming in on Tuesday.

Anyway, he hauled us over the coals for 'leaving the office empty' (but the next day the office would be full due to the training!).

We wondered why he'd gone so OTT about it. It turned out that Monday was his birthday and he'd brought in cakes for us all. Nice of him to bring in cakes (which we ate the following day when we were all in), but definitely gave 'poor little lamb' vibes over him being annoyed he was in the office alone with no one wishing him happy birthday!

• Haha
  • Sad
Somebody on the general enquiries line has decided that they are actually a switchboard operator in 1986, employed to sound posh when speaking to men in three piece suits and bowler hats.

Despite having task oriented email addresses specifically to allow for differentiation of tasks, sharing of workload, monitoring AND protection of individuals from absolute basket cases who can and do hunt you down if they take exception to the font you've used in an email, never mind emailing them something they don't like, this absolute tool has unilaterally decided to give angry randoms my full name, the work 'personal' email address, the direct telephone number, the precise working pattern, that I'm alone in the building from x o'clock because it's easy for me to get home in (just off the street where I live), that there is no security at that time of day so it's easy to just walk in off the street AND promised each one a personal callback during the period in which I am lone working to 'explain and apologise'. You've just bleeping doxxed me because you don't want to do your literal bleeping job.

head head head head head.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
OMG. Not only is it completely unprofessional, it’s dangerous! Can you report him/her?

Somebody on the general enquiries line has decided that they are actually a switchboard operator in 1986, employed to sound posh when speaking to men in three piece suits and bowler hats.

Despite having task oriented email addresses specifically to allow for differentiation of tasks, sharing of workload, monitoring AND protection of individuals from absolute basket cases who can and do hunt you down if they take exception to the font you've used in an email, never mind emailing them something they don't like, this absolute tool has unilaterally decided to give angry randoms my full name, the work 'personal' email address, the direct telephone number, the precise working pattern, that I'm alone in the building from x o'clock because it's easy for me to get home in (just off the street where I live), that there is no security at that time of day so it's easy to just walk in off the street AND promised each one a personal callback during the period in which I am lone working to 'explain and apologise'. You've just bleeping doxxed me because you don't want to do your literal bleeping job.

Reactions: 3

I would escalate this and then refuse to be in the building on my own for safety reasons . In fact I would refuse to be in the building at those hours even if someone else is therefor several weeks.

Reactions: 7
Gosh that’s dreadful from a lone working point of view. You must raise this as high as possible even above your manager if necessary because there should be a switchboard protocol and that’s really not ok.
I’d be inclined to try and find as many stats on dangers to women (horrible reading) and stick that in your complaint as it’s such a hot topic and hopefully it’ll get some traction for you.

When you ask someone a question as simple as “where’s this?” and they tell your boss you’re “working together” on the work you’re doing or they turn it into a ticket 😩 It was a simple question not an invitation and definitely doesn’t require a ticket because there’s no work involved from you.

Reactions: 4

That's worthy of dismissal. You need to escalate that and also make it more widely known. There's lots of advice on lone working safety on the Suzy Lamplugh Trust website.

Omg, report report report!!

I used to work in a call centre and some horrid caller said he wanted to know my surname, I was like no way, can't give that out. For someone you work with to give that information out, feck me. It's not hard to find the buildings of call centres/ offices either 😮

I'd be mutinous over this. I hope you are ok x

Overheard in the office today.

A manager, who has a vacancy to fill:

'Yeah this recruitment campaign better be successful cos we're screwed if not, we'd be seriously under resourced if we dont get a successful candidate'.

Later on, same guy: 'HR sent the question list and I've picked all the hardest questions, I really want to test the candidates'.

If I had a vacancy to fill I'd pick easier questions to increase the chance of someone passing the interview.

So many managers treat interviewing candidates as a power trip.

Reactions: 7
People who accept a 9-5, non hybrid job. Then, as soon as they have passed their probation; ask to work different hours, flexi time and WFH! Why the hell did they even accept the job in the first place?!

• Haha
People who accept a 9-5, non hybrid job. Then, as soon as they have passed their probation; ask to work different hours, flexi time and WFH! Why the hell did they even accept the job in the first place?!
I always ask this before I even interview. I'm nit interested in any 9-5 full time office job. The office environment is dead to me.
My friends aren't even applying for jobs that don't offer WFH or flexibility.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.