Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People who put meetings in between 12 and 2 o'clock are just downright rude. I try to decline but they always seem to be those ones that you just can't get out of...
I used to block an hour on my calendar for lunch.
It didn't always work with unnecessary meetings being scheduled but it helped a bit.

Reactions: 7
Ask me work questions during the holidays. Head teachers need a break too ffs

• Heart
Reactions: 4
And there's always that boot licker who raises their hand when the group is asked "any questions?" If someone has questions they could send them to the meeting organizer via email. No need to hold up the entire group!

Reactions: 10
And there's always that boot licker who raises their hand when the group is asked "any questions?" If someone has questions they could send them to the meeting organizer via email. No need to hold up the entire group!
I remember being at a conference one time and a guy in the group used to get into his stride, asking questions at the last minute when everyone else was just drained and wanting to go home. One of the speakers said to him, in the end, what time would you like to get out of here this evening. They knew one another and it was taken in the spirit that it was intended. He did shut up that evening at least. 😁

Reactions: 8
I’m on a call now and one of my colleagues has their dog on their lap with their camera on. Honestly, no. I don’t wanna see your dog while I’m a call.

I’m on a call now and one of my colleagues has their dog on their lap with their camera on. Honestly, no. I don’t wanna see your dog while I’m a call.
You’re on tattle tho. Much better 🤣🤔

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
My husband died in the March of 2018 ( I nursed him at home as was his wish ) I was absolutely devastated and had 8 weeks off signed by my wonderful GP, I wasn’t ready to go back but knew if I didn’t go after eight weeks I would never return. Anyway I walked in the double doors and just wanted to cry because the last time I saw those doors he was alive, anyway, I walked to my desk and was greeted by my manager who was typing she looked at me and sort of huffed, I didn’t need her to ask me how I was because I knew she wasn’t interested anyway, I sat down and started doing my work. After about an hour the supervisor called me to “ have a chat “ off we went to the empty office and I was told my sickness was unreasonable ( I worked there for 3 yrs and never had a day off sick before ) and I was lucky because they were debating whether to give me a warning ! i sat in front of her and wanted to fold up and die I was so upset. And suddenly from within me I stood up and told her exactly what she and the manager could do with their job and how I pray nothing ever happens to their loved ones I was calm but very very direct, I walked back to my desk with hole face running behind me saying “ I got it all wrong and I might not even get a warning “ I grabbed my bag, and keys and walked out with my head high. I had numerous phone calls from both of them begging me to reconsider until I told them if I get one more call from either of them I would be taking out a grievance procedure on them. I haven’t worked since and slowly got a new life but I will never ever forget how I felt that day, I now enjoy being with my new grandchild and helping my gorgeous DIL with childcare and recently saw a colleague from the office who told me manager had been sacked and the supervisor was off long term sick after losing her mother. I am a strong believer in Karma !

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
Reminds me of a former coworker. I had major, life saving surgery and was out for three months. The day I returned he said "Oh, so how was your vacation? You should have been fired for missing so much work!". So I lifted up my top and showed him my five inch scar that still had bandages over it. The look on his face!

• Wow
Reactions: 16
My husband died in the March of 2018 ( I nursed him at home as was his wish ) I was absolutely devastated and had 8 weeks off signed by my wonderful GP, I wasn’t ready to go back but knew if I didn’t go after eight weeks I would never return. Anyway I walked in the double doors and just wanted to cry because the last time I saw those doors he was alive, anyway, I walked to my desk and was greeted by my manager who was typing she looked at me and sort of huffed, I didn’t need her to ask me how I was because I knew she wasn’t interested anyway, I sat down and started doing my work. After about an hour the supervisor called me to “ have a chat “ off we went to the empty office and I was told my sickness was unreasonable ( I worked there for 3 yrs and never had a day off sick before ) and I was lucky because they were debating whether to give me a warning ! i sat in front of her and wanted to fold up and die I was so upset. And suddenly from within me I stood up and told her exactly what she and the manager could do with their job and how I pray nothing ever happens to their loved ones I was calm but very very direct, I walked back to my desk with hole face running behind me saying “ I got it all wrong and I might not even get a warning “ I grabbed my bag, and keys and walked out with my head high. I had numerous phone calls from both of them begging me to reconsider until I told them if I get one more call from either of them I would be taking out a grievance procedure on them. I haven’t worked since and slowly got a new life but I will never ever forget how I felt that day, I now enjoy being with my new grandchild and helping my gorgeous DIL with childcare and recently saw a colleague from the office who told me manager had been sacked and the supervisor was off long term sick after losing her mother. I am a strong believer in Karma !
That is dreadful.
Well done you for walking out.

I was very badly treated by a witch of a manager when I was unwell some years ago.

Thankfully our paths will never cross again, and while I don't wish ill upon her, I would like to think that someday she will be in a situation where a bit of kindness or compassion would help an awful lot, and that it doesn't come her way.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I had a job where we had to take turns to open up, usually at 7.30
My Dad’s funeral was on a Tuesday. The bastard I worked with said he usually had a Tuesday off and it didn’t suit him. Then he asked what time the funeral was. I said 11.00 and he said well I could still open up and he would come in at 10.

I spoke to my boss and handed in my notice. He said why was I at work? I should be at home until after the funeral and as for the bastard, he could open up for the next two weeks as I needed time in the morning to get myself together.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
I am so sorry that happened to you. I'd say I can't believe it but I absolutely can.

You are amazing 👏 and I hope you are really happy in your life now. It sounds like there is a lot of love and you're surrounded by wonderful people xxx

• Heart
In the office we get eight pints of milk provided on a Monday morning to (supposedly) last us the week, along with free tea and coffee.
We're generally hybrid and there are rarely more than 10 people office based each day.

Generally by Tuesday lunchtime the milk is all gone because everyone's using it for their porridge/cereal/shakes in the mornings. I've never known anyone to go and buy more.

Selfish arseholes! 🙄

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
In the office we get eight pints of milk provided on a Monday morning to (supposedly) last us the week, along with free tea and coffee.
We're generally hybrid and there are rarely more than 10 people office based each day.

Generally by Tuesday lunchtime the milk is all gone because everyone's using it for their porridge/cereal/shakes in the mornings. I've never known anyone to go and buy more.

Selfish arseholes! 🙄
That used to happen in an office where I worked as people would either use the milk for hot chocolates/milos, or flog it! At the same place we were very fortunate to have cheese, crackers and biscuits but they too were flogged so they put a stop to them.

---------------

I have to say, this thread is full of lovely, caring people! It's funny that no matter where we are in the world, many of our issues with co-workers are much the same.

---------------

We decided to give all our staff Easter off (at our coffee carts and fish & chip shop). I had a call from one of our young workers this morning, asking if they'll get paid triple today because it's a holiday ... um no, because you're not working, I said ... to which they replied that their mum had said they absolutely should get it. So explaining to them how it all works on Tuesday will be fun :cautious:

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I had a call from one of our young workers this morning, asking if they'll get paid triple today because it's a holiday ... um no, because you're not working, I said ... to which they replied that their mum had said they absolutely should get it.
I'd love to know where this mum has got this idea from?!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I'd love to know where this mum has got this idea from?!
I’ve always heard that if you’re available for work as scheduled and the business closes on days you’re scheduled to work, you’re supposed to be paid. I have no idea what the legal basis is for this though, maybe it was just goodwill anywhere I was.

eta - just reread the comment…. Looking for triple time, hilarious!!

Reactions: 3
I have to say, this thread is full of lovely, caring people! It's funny that no matter where we are in the world, many of our issues with co-workers are much the same.
I couldn't agree more. Tattle has been a lifeline for me these last few months.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
i had a very difficult conversation with an old boss a few years ago. I wanted to take a day carers leave (my contract says im entitled to two weeks a year) to take my sister for chemo. My sister had a lot of chemo sessions and none of us had enough leave to cover all so we agreed a family rota. My boss said no because i wasn't the next of kin (my sister was married). Ironically my boss mother had died of the same cancer but she had zero empathy. I really can see why people say duck work and just go off sick. I got it in the end. By pointing out i would just go to HR or her senior.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
i had a very difficult conversation with an old boss a few years ago. I wanted to take a day carers leave (my contract says im entitled to two weeks a year) to take my sister for chemo. My sister had a lot of chemo sessions and none of us had enough leave to cover all so we agreed a family rota. My boss said no because i wasn't the next of kin (my sister was married). Ironically my boss mother had died of the same cancer but she had zero empathy. I really can see why people say duck work and just go off sick. I got it in the end. By pointing out i would just go to HR or her senior.
My director at a previous job tried to deny me a day off (that I had accrued) to take my brother to have surgery and bring him home afterward. The director told me to just call him a taxi. He said that was what he did for his sister when she had surgery and I thought "and she's still speaking to you?" He couldn't deny me my accrued day off but he grumbled about it.
To prove karma exists, that same director was fired a couple of years later. A coworker accused him of sexual harassment and rather than try to defend him the company fired him. Dude should have been nicer to his employees :sneaky:

Reactions: 8
I've had a few instances of being very busy over the last ten years - all very genuine. I asked the part time staff if they wanted to work additional paid hours for a week or two - it was totally optional. The response I got from some was that they would do it if work paid their childcare. What???

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.