Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well done you!
When were they planning to prepare it if they hadn't it done by the time they messaged you!
He wasn't - lazy bugger obviously forgot to do it or couldn't be bothered and thought he could throw it at me to sort as it's the sort of thing I did at my old workplace. In chatting to a lady at work this morning about it (trying to establish if he had asked around if someone else could do it), this is typical behaviour of him and he's on his last warning. The presentation ended up being moved to next week at the client's request anyway (which he failed to mention last night). Which leaves me wondering - did he know that?

Reactions: 5
He wasn't - lazy bugger obviously forgot to do it or couldn't be bothered and thought he could throw it at me to sort as it's the sort of thing I did at my old workplace. In chatting to a lady at work this morning about it (trying to establish if he had asked around if someone else could do it), this is typical behaviour of him and he's on his last warning. The presentation ended up being moved to next week at the client's request anyway (which he failed to mention last night). Which leaves me wondering - did he know that?
Possibly trying to get you to do it for him.
I had been "helping" another office with tasks, supposedly until they hired and trained an employee. The new employee waited until THREE MONTHS after he was hired to even begin requesting access to all the portals he needed. He said it was easier for him to have me continue to do that portion of his job 🙄

• Wow
Reactions: 6
The fact that certain people can't even reply with a simple 'thank you' yet replies to another email that was sent a few minutes ago :mad:

Reactions: 4
My company used to have a flex schedule for managers and above with every other Friday off. That policy was ended a few months ago, but my manager continues to take every other Friday off. Fine. But we also just got ordered back into the office despite my manager and HIS manager not being required to do so.
When I was a manager I NEVER subscribed to the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality. When my employer added a 2:00 am shift I worked it twice each week rather than just forcing my employees to always work it. I worked just as many hours as they did. I didn't give myself holidays off if they had to work them. I just find it extremely aggravating that we lower level employees have to work Fridays and come into the office but the managers don't. Not a good look.

Reactions: 13
I need to talk about this time I had an internship for Harper’s Bazaar. I need to make the story short but I had a big boss then my manager. The big boss was already a bit toxic, think Miranda Priestly but what I liked about her was how she would ask for results and let u handle it on ur own. Then come back days later to see what uve done. My manager micro managed to me to the max. She checked how my table was. She’d analyse it every morning and tell me « u need to clean up this left area more ». If I was 1 min late she would rant about it to me. She also demanded to see my notebook and asked me to do a specific to do list, which didn’t work for me because I have ADHD and my way of organising is different. I told her many times that her way doesn’t work for me and makes me confused, she insisted her ways was the best.
she’d go so far as to tell me abusive things like telling me she could replace me easily, that my brain isn’t working properly and i should get a brain scan. that i dont speak properly and should get a doctor to check it our. except i had so much fear i started stuttering. i wasnt myself anymore. think reek in game of thrones lol. just a shadow of who i was,no self esteem left. everything i did, even throwing out the trash was badly done. every single day she let me know that I cantdo anything right. one time she asked « can u give me resume please? ». I obeyed. She scanned it quickly and told me each and every experience ive had is utterly useless, even laughing about it.That day i came back home crying and sobbing, to the point of suicidal thoughts (I was already dealing with OCD issues). My self esteem was lower than it already was, I felt broken. And everytime I was near that building in the morning I wanted to vomit.
Until that moment when she started shouting at me and saying I can never do anything right in my life. I got so mad that I got up and took my bag and left and she rushed after me, crying! I was like this witch is insane… she started confessing another intern did the same to her last year. So it’s when my anger came out telling her AND IR NEVER CROSSED UR MIND THAT UR THE PROBLEM AND U SHOULD CHANGE?
Another colleague came out to watch the scée and defend her. I said why dont u leave urself out of it. You have no idea what it’s like to have been abused psychologically. And my manager started crying in front of everyone. I couldn’t stop telling her that Im not her dog, not her slave and she should talk to me differently. She started promising she would.
But months went by and she continued. So I again, went up to her, looked her in the eyes and said you are an awful person. You abuse, you verbally abuse. You need to shut the duck up. From now on when I come here u dont ask me about my to do list, I dont wanna hear any of ur comments. You shut up and stay at ur place.
she got up and started ranting to her colleague and then i could hear her cry.

you know what’s insane. she started guilt tripping me into having lunch with her and a colleague and started asking about my sexual life. suggesting im lesbian and laughing about it. I said even if i was whats ur problem? She made me feel then that i never laugh and have no sense of humor. But again I had to be dead serious to her and tell her listen im not ur friend we r not friends. U dont talk to me this way. From now on i dont eat lunch with u. I come here i do my work and thats it.
And whenever she’d try to be more, to be that rude person I had to stop her and say « you need therapy and u need help, you are awful » and she kept crying almost like she felt guilty or something. I didn’t care at all: she then realized she needed a new job after staying in this one for a decade. When my internship was over she said thank u for changing my life. I said nothing. She ruined mine, couldnt find myself to find mt first job for years and had to find confidence again in myself. Still traumatized by it all

and yes i did say u need to shut the duck up to her face thats how done I was 😂😂

Reactions: 2
Also does anyone else find that now that loads of people WFH they don't have phone numbers and it's impossible to get hold of them? Internal colleagues I can get on Teams but I've got 1 huge client with probably 50+ contacts there and I swear I never get to actually speak to any of them. It's like they're allergic to talking.
Oh dear this sounds like my team 🤭

I work in accounts payable, and we are often behind paying our suppliers - the company is apparently doing ok financially, they're just crap at allocating cash to the different companies in the group. Anyway, as a result, anyone who rings the company and asks for finance is told we all work from home and are therefore not contactable by phone, only email. Even though we work in the office now about 70% of the time 😬Basically we got sick of people chasing us for money and you can ignore an email easier than you can a phone call haha.

Reactions: 3
Act like children when they have an issue instead of addressing it. Passive aggressive messages to others and cam + audio off not interacting when they always have it on like they’ve stormed off to their work bedroom 🙄 Mentioned the tension when asked by my manager and he made excuses about personal life. We all have tit going on, doesn’t give you carte blanche to be crappy to others. And why ask 😑 This is the second colleague to go rogue teenager in as many weeks. This one is just sulking because they didn’t get what they felt entitled to and should be told to grow up.

Act like children when they have an issue instead of addressing it. Passive aggressive messages to others and cam + audio off not interacting when they always have it on like they’ve stormed off to their work bedroom 🙄 Mentioned the tension when asked by my manager and he made excuses about personal life. We all have tit going on, doesn’t give you carte blanche to be crappy to others. And why ask 😑 This is the second colleague to go rogue teenager in as many weeks. This one is just sulking because they didn’t get what they felt entitled to and should be told to grow up.
I hate this too! I have colleagues who act like toddlers throwing a paddy! Nobody calls them out on it.

I can't believe yours turn their video and mic off 😂

• Haha
I hate this too! I have colleagues who act like toddlers throwing a paddy! Nobody calls them out on it.

I can't believe yours turn their video and mic off 😂
It’s crazy how some people carry on 😧

I know and if they turn the mic on to respond to a direct question it’s like waiting for someone to answer an intercom 😬

Reactions: 1
"jokingly" tell me to quit

Or when my manager gossiped about me twice thinking I can't understand her mother's tongue

I'm pretty sure that same manage also left tit in the toilet today too

Just ready to go home today. Ignore me.

I've spent the past three days working from someone's home office in their house - as in, they have a large room set up (I guess it was a gym / rumpus room at some point?), as an office complete with workstations (10 in total; all were being used).

The awkward thing was, to use the bathroom you had to go through their house. To get a glass of water or to make a cup of tea you had to go through their house. It felt rude and awkward. They should just install a bathroom off the room and a kitchenette at the end of the room if it's going to be a long-term thing ... there's enough space.

It was fine for most of the day ... it felt very much like an office with all-white walls, grey carpet and a very good - ergonomic - set-up ... but when the homeowner's spouse and kids came home it felt as if we were intruding on their home life. The spouse kept coming in to talk to their partner, and at one point they had a bit of a barney ... I couldn't work like this all the time; no way.

• Wow
I've spent the past three days working from someone's home office in their house - as in, they have a large room set up (I guess it was a gym / rumpus room at some point?), as an office complete with workstations (10 in total; all were being used).

The awkward thing was, to use the bathroom you had to go through their house. To get a glass of water or to make a cup of tea you had to go through their house. It felt rude and awkward. They should just install a bathroom off the room and a kitchenette at the end of the room if it's going to be a long-term thing ... there's enough space.

It was fine for most of the day ... it felt very much like an office with all-white walls, grey carpet and a very good - ergonomic - set-up ... but when the homeowner's spouse and kids came home it felt as if we were intruding on their home life. The spouse kept coming in to talk to their partner, and at one point they had a bit of a barney ... I couldn't work like this all the time; no way.
Wow that's awkward. How come the office is at someone's home?

I spend maybe about 17 business hours each week awaiting my manager to actually wrap up a meeting.

For example, the conversation will come to a natural end, and instead of ending the call there like a normal person would, there is an awkward silence she allows to go on for far too long and then “….goood. Cool! Erm…… Right, okay…. sooo thanks everyone for- Wait! Siobhan, did you get your garden furniture delivery?!” Rinse and repeat at least 5 more times. Arghhhhyshsiabsbsk

• Heart
  • Haha
I spend maybe about 17 business hours each week awaiting my manager to actually wrap up a meeting.

For example, the conversation will come to a natural end, and instead of ending the call there like a normal person would, there is an awkward silence she allows to go on for far too long and then “….goood. Cool! Erm…… Right, okay…. sooo thanks everyone for- Wait! Siobhan, did you get your garden furniture delivery?!” Rinse and repeat at least 5 more times. Arghhhhyshsiabsbsk
Yes, when AOB lasts longer than 2 mins I feel the rage 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Having me create word docs and convert them to pdf docs and then telling me AFTER they're done that additional information needs to be included. Which means I have to redo all of the documents.
I'm "helping" another location and this goes beyond the agreement they made with my manager. But despite paying nearly $100k they can't keep anyone in the position because everything is so effed up. They asked me if I wanted to transfer there a year ago and I said "hell no". More politely, of course. There isn't enough money to intice me to put up with that crap full time.

Reactions: 3
Yes, when AOB lasts longer than 2 mins I feel the rage 😂
Especially when they go round and ask everyone one by one if they have any other business. Just take it by exception!! Hands up if you have AOB done.

I don’t know if I’m overthinking this but I may be.

Two days ago, I had a 1-1 with my manager where I candidly and voluntarily addressed a weakness of mine which is to speak up in large groups.

Today, we had a small team meeting (less than 10 people) and my manager said to the group “I discussed speaking up in large groups during our 1-1 with one of you and blah blah is something to bear in mind when we move into our new way of working”.

I mean, maybe I’m being over sensitive but I don’t appreciate the fact that she used a confidential conversation to turn it into an example during a group meeting. It’s not nice at all.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
We have two managers in our team at the same level who are best friends and regularly go on holiday together and I know for a fact anything they’re told is spread like a rumour in a playground because I’ve told one a personal issue just as an FYI and it’s gone around our department like wildfire and was even joked about in a group email under the guise of an anonymous comment. They’re both awful and in my own supervisions have been told highly confidential information about other people in the teams health and personal life. They seem to think it’s fine to gossip but I now tell them nothing personal due to this and they hate it but I won’t be a subject of jokes or rumour.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
We have two managers in our team at the same level who are best friends and regularly go on holiday together and I know for a fact anything they’re told is spread like a rumour in a playground because I’ve told one a personal issue just as an FYI and it’s gone around our department like wildfire and was even joked about in a group email under the guise of an anonymous comment. They’re both awful and in my own supervisions have been told highly confidential information about other people in the teams health and personal life. They seem to think it’s fine to gossip but I now tell them nothing personal due to this and they hate it but I won’t be a subject of jokes or rumour.
That's awful, I'm sorry you've had to experience that, that's really unfair.

Similarly, I found out recently my boss will tell us team members' medical information 😔 One of my team members has been on-and-off-again sick for the past few months with a condition that keeps flaring up. I knew what the medical issue was because the team member themself told me last month when we had a walk at lunchtime. It's something personal and scary and not fully diagnosed yet, she doesn't want other people in the team to know what it is. Recently she was off again, and I asked my manager, oh, is (name) not in today? To which I expected to hear "ah, she's not working this week". Instead, my boss whispered to me exactly what had happened to my colleague, i.e. my colleague had collapsed at home and so must have told my boss the medical details. Boss told me all the details. I now think well, I'll never tell her anything super personal because she'll tell everyone. It's unfair really. Luckily I won't be telling anyone else about my colleague, but I don't think I needed to know that my colleague was due to go doctors, what day they collapsed, who was with them at the time, what to condition is etc. All that needed to be said was, "can you cover her inbox, she'll hopefully be back next week."

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
I hate when bosses don’t maintain a professional front. Mine is not holding back slagging off a teammate. If they say it to you they’ll say it about you or however the saying goes.
——
And just like that, sulking colleague has a promotion. You could be the best thing since sliced bread but rewarding petulant behaviour is a 🚩 for me. Will brush up on my skills, milk what I can and check out 👋🏻

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.