Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone not in my team said the other day at the coffee bar in work they think it looks bad if you leave on time. As it seems you don't have enough work to do. Omg Hun. We're not in the 90s anymore. I just said I'm out the minute my paid hours are done

Reactions: 19
Someone not in my team said the other day at the coffee bar in work they think it looks bad if you leave on time. As it seems you don't have enough work to do. Omg Hun. We're not in the 90s anymore. I just said I'm out the minute my paid hours are done
Exactly, most of us have lives outside of work and traffic jams to avoid. Luckily most of my team get up and put our coats on at the same time come 5pm so noone bats an eyelid.

Reactions: 6
Exactly, most of us have lives outside of work and traffic jams to avoid. Luckily most of my team get up and put our coats on at the same time come 5pm so noone bats an eyelid.
One place I worked that malarkey of being seen to 'work' long hours was an absolute thing.
I had a bus to catch so I was up and out every evening at 5 pm.

The manager I worked with there was in at the crack of dawn, as she never tired of reminding everyone. She was still there when everyone else was leaving (or so I was told 😁) but what nobody noticed - until it was pointed out - she used to disappear for hours on end during the day on personal errands.

There's an expression about 'once you get the reputation for rising early, you can stay in bed all day' that suits her perfectly. 'OMG she works such long hours.' She didn't really though.

Reactions: 4
Annoys me to no end when I return from leave and have a million emails to deal with. My OOO is on and clearly states that work should go through my manager. Their excuse is always BS like 'I didn't want to bombard them' or 'You know the work'. Fine. You're now at the bottom of my priority list because clearly none of it was important enough to be dealt with last week.
I get "I emailed you yesterday but you didn't reply!!!" Yeah, my status was clearly OOTO AND you got my automatic reply that I was OOTO. Stop pretending.

Reactions: 5
I work 4 days. When people email me on my nwd, get my ooo so I reply on my next working day and they respond saying I thought you'd have picked up the email. Errr no Hun it's my nwd that I do not get paid for, I'm not even thinking about my emails!
Our version of outlook you can see the ooo before you even send the message. Makes me so mad!

Reactions: 12
I'll set my OOO but patients see that and decide to text/call/Whatsapp me instead. I love my job and I care about my (non-emergency, not sick) patients, but when I'm not at work, my work phone is off. And no, you can't have my personal number!

Reactions: 3
One place I worked that malarkey of being seen to 'work' long hours was an absolute thing.
I had a bus to catch so I was up and out every evening at 5 pm.

The manager I worked with there was in at the crack of dawn, as she never tired of reminding everyone. She was still there when everyone else was leaving (or so I was told 😁) but what nobody noticed - until it was pointed out - she used to disappear for hours on end during the day on personal errands.

There's an expression about 'once you get the reputation for rising early, you can stay in bed all day' that suits her perfectly. 'OMG she works such long hours.' She didn't really though.
We must have worked at the same place!

In my case, she'd always leave her jacket on the back of her chair to make it look like she was there. When she returned, she'd have a worried look on her face and nearly always call someone into her office to talk about something (minor) - she was an expert at making it look like she was always "on". She managed to survive many restructurings in her time, mostly because she was also super-nice, a great leader, and had a very good eye for recruiting only the best (people who would deliver so she could sit back). She'd always leave her dinner plate on her desk so when people came in the next day, they'd notice that she'd stayed late enough to eat dinner at the office. The next day, she'd come and say good morning to everyone and then say she was just popping out to clear her head as she'd been working all night ... this happened almost every day! And then she'd return a few hours later ... but always be contactable via mobile for anything urgent. She definitely knew how to play the game.

Another time, I worked for a worldwide consulting firm in the '90s and they were alllllll about showing your dedication and commitment by working until midnight. Even if you didn't have a lot on, but others did (and it was stuff you couldn't really help with as your field of expertise was different), they'd frown upon you for not being a team player if you didn't stay. The same place used to organise a lot of "fun" (= forced fun) events which were staff-only ... it definitely wasn't the place for those who wanted a life and people outside of work.

It's always interesting to me how many people can't get their heads around staff working from home part or all of the time. Even people who I've known for years, who I consider to be relaxed and trusting, have an issue with it. There will always be those who take advantage of the situation, but they'd likely do that if they were in the office all the time, too.

I worked in one of the Big4 accounting firms after college and one guy would put his suit jacket on the back of his chair in a Thursday evening and leave his laptop and not turn up to work on a friday and no one in management noticed as the office was so big.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
We must have worked at the same place!

In my case, she'd always leave her jacket on the back of her chair to make it look like she was there. When she returned, she'd have a worried look on her face and nearly always call someone into her office to talk about something (minor) - she was an expert at making it look like she was always "on". She managed to survive many restructurings in her time, mostly because she was also super-nice, a great leader, and had a very good eye for recruiting only the best (people who would deliver so she could sit back). She'd always leave her dinner plate on her desk so when people came in the next day, they'd notice that she'd stayed late enough to eat dinner at the office. The next day, she'd come and say good morning to everyone and then say she was just popping out to clear her head as she'd been working all night ... this happened almost every day! And then she'd return a few hours later ... but always be contactable via mobile for anything urgent. She definitely knew how to play the game.

Another time, I worked for a worldwide consulting firm in the '90s and they were alllllll about showing your dedication and commitment by working until midnight. Even if you didn't have a lot on, but others did (and it was stuff you couldn't really help with as your field of expertise was different), they'd frown upon you for not being a team player if you didn't stay. The same place used to organise a lot of "fun" (= forced fun) events which were staff-only ... it definitely wasn't the place for those who wanted a life and people outside of work.

It's always interesting to me how many people can't get their heads around staff working from home part or all of the time. Even people who I've known for years, who I consider to be relaxed and trusting, have an issue with it. There will always be those who take advantage of the situation, but they'd likely do that if they were in the office all the time, too.
Must be twins! 🤣
She used to go into the office on Sundays, from time to time, when there was absolutely no need to do so. Most people kept on the right side of her because she did wield power over certain things like getting a decent parking space, for example. (This was nothing to do with her actual role btw).

I remember one person in particular who was all over her, when they joined a team on our floor, and it was working in that person's favour and then obviously they overstepped the mark in some way and they were probably banished to a crappy parking space or something after that!

When she retired, I'd say she thought the whole place would fall down.
Strangely enough, it didn't 🤣

Reactions: 2
When people join Teams calls late and start hurriedly adjusting their headset while unmuted, ensuring the call is disrupted. I've got one colleague that does it all the time and he's annoying anyway, but that just makes him more annoying.

*muffled noises* Sorry I'm late! *more muffled noises* 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Also people who join Teams calls late and start doing the 'how is everyone' routine. NO! We already all did that at the start of the meeting, if you want to know how we all are, join on time!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Also people who join Teams calls late and start doing the 'how is everyone' routine. NO! We already all did that at the start of the meeting, if you want to know how we all are, join on time!
rage!

‘Sorry, I know you’ve probably been through this already but how did X Event go, how did your holiday go’ yes we talked about it already, ask privately and let us get this over with 💆🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 4
I supported a project which wrapped up today & asked for feedback to the project lead (we worked closely). Their feedback was “I like your attention to detail”.

I mean, I appreciate the feedback but attention to detail is a pre-requisite for our role given it has a sensitive nature. To be fair, I wanted something a bit more constructive than this especially as it was my second project in my new team and never got any training.

Reactions: 3
I attended a meeting today where, after 10 minutes it was clear the leader had been held up elsewhere so their deputy make the decision to get started, with them leading the meeting.

After 20 or so minutes - at which point the meeting was well underway and the deputy was doing a fantastic job of leading it - the leader came in all flustered, walked up to the deputy who was talking, and waved their hands as if to say, "Move". (The deputy was sitting at the top of the table). Unbelievable! They stood up and grabbed their papers while they carried on talking, very clearly distracted and a bit miffed, before they settled down in another spot. The leader took over, didn't thank the deputy or even ask where we'd got to on the agenda - instead they started scribbling on the whiteboard stuff that didn't seem at all related to what we were doing, waffled on about what'd happened at the meeting they'd come from, then called time on our meeting ... before asking for just a couple of people to stay behind.

What a waste of time that was!

• Wow
People who put meetings in between 12 and 2 o'clock are just downright rude. I try to decline but they always seem to be those ones that you just can't get out of...

Reactions: 13
People who put meetings in between 12 and 2 o'clock are just downright rude. I try to decline but they always seem to be those ones that you just can't get out of...
I feel the same about meetings that are scheduled for the start of the work day!

Reactions: 8
I feel the same about meetings that are scheduled for the start of the work day!
Or right at the end of the day.

Especially if the organiser starts with "we need to keep this short as I need to leave at x time" 😡

Yeh we all want to go home thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.